• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Traditional Style Grip vs Pistol Grip/Thumbhole

Traditional Style Grip vs Pistol Grip

• Total voters

awcmon

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2018
I am curious as to the proportion of you guys that prefer a more traditional styled grip (like on the KRG Bravo, M24, M40A3/A5, TRG 22, Manners, etc) compared to those who prefer a pistol grip where if you wrap your hand around the grip, you would need to move your thumb around to use the bolt (like on AI guns, KRG Whiskey 3, MPA BA, TRG M10, Barrett MRAD, M2010, FR F1).

I do not mean a traditional grip angle like on a hunting rifle as opposed to a more vertical grip angle like on the KRG Bravo.

It would also be nice to hear why.

Most modern precision bolt guns adopted by militaries seem to be moving to pistol type grips, such as the M2010 and MRAD. I suspect this is due to the requirement of a right-side folding stock. However, while I am aware that this is probably user preference, I was wondering if there could be anything else.

I would imagine needing to move one's thumb in order to operate the bolt each time would be a hassle, but I guess this would not be a problem if you shoot without your thumb wrapped around the grip anyways.

pstol grip , i still dont wrap my thumb around the back, maybe im no preference, never tried the krg style

I really like a vertical grip I can put a thumb around.
I got my hand mashed by a big stick of ductile iron pipe years ago and kinked wrist and/or floating the thumb is quite painful for me.

Reactions: Pvt.Donut
I really like a vertical grip I can put a thumb around.
I got my hand mashed by a big stick of ductile iron pipe years ago and kinked wrist and/or floating the thumb is quite painful for me.
ah, that sucks about the hand accident.

however, i was more referring to more modern grips, like one on the KRG Bravo that are vertical, but do not have anything above the grip, and you can still put your thumb around.

I like traditional more. I still haven't tried to vertical pistol grip, but I prefer having the gap between grip and trigger guard on traditional stocks. Provides better hand placement for me. Maybe my hands are just small?

ah, that sucks about the hand accident.

however, i was more referring to more modern grips, like one on the KRG Bravo that are vertical, but do not have anything above the grip, and you can still put your thumb around.
A236A679-914A-465D-B887-606BF6AD495C.jpeg

my rifles.

I’ve got to shoot a KRG bravo once.
I found it quite comfortable and would totally own one.
AI’s are pretty comfortable for me also.

Reactions: awcmon
Either way I don’t have a preference. The military probably uses the vertical style because everyone is accustomed to the vertical grip. I understand the benefits of folding stocks on select fire rifles and even their semi auto brethren but not on a bolt action rifle. Maybe someone can tell me how it benefits the shooter.

The real reason to have a folder is because you'll most likely be packing that rifle on your back while you carry a more useful weapon to fight with if you get caught.

But like everything, if someone makes it people need it for whatever reason they feel like justifies the cost.

I have zero preference. I can shoot either one, but I'll likely be building more on the krg chassis as I move forward.

Reactions: DJL2
The real reason to have a folder is because you'll most likely be packing that rifle on your back while you carry a more useful weapon to fight with if you get caught.

But like everything, if someone makes it people need it for whatever reason they feel like justifies the cost.
I have zero preference. I can shoot either one, but I'll likely be building more on the krg chassis as I move forward.
I like the krg chassis too and just ordered one for my current build.

I voted traditional.
1. A traditional grip doesn’t prevent me from wrapping my thumb around it, if I want to.
2. A traditional grip handles much better when I’m carrying a rifle.

As an example - I recently switched a KRG W-3 back end to a Bravo. I shoot them both in exactly the same fashion generally, with my thumb forward on the shelf made for the purpose. With the Bravo I also have flexibility to position my thumb more centrally if I choose because there’s no aluminum strut in the way. I can wrap my thumb around either when shooting. I prefer to wrap my thumb around the rifle when carrying it, but the W-3 is prohibitive of this.

Reactions: awcmon
I voted traditional.
1. A traditional grip doesn’t prevent me from wrapping my thumb around it, if I want to.
2. A traditional grip handles much better when I’m carrying a rifle.

As an example - I recently switched a KRG W-3 back end to a Bravo. I shoot them both in exactly the same fashion generally, with my thumb forward on the shelf made for the purpose. With the Bravo I also have flexibility to position my thumb more centrally if I choose because there’s no aluminum strut in the way. I can wrap my thumb around either when shooting. I prefer to wrap my thumb around the rifle when carrying it, but the W-3 is prohibitive of this.
I was actually curious about the Bravo vs Whiskey 3 myself since I was wondering if I should "upgrade" to the Whiskey 3 back end or not. Thanks for the insight.

I was actually curious about the Bravo vs Whiskey 3 myself since I was wondering if I should "upgrade" to the Whiskey 3 back end or not. Thanks for the insight.
You need to get behind both to really know for sure. Most people are not going to wrap their thumb around the pistol grip or go through the thumb hole. The whiskey 3 looks like it has a little thumb shelf on the side and the Bravo you could put your thumb near the tang or just float it on the side. I have no issues floating my thumb on the side of a Manners T5A but if I could do it again, I would get the T4A.

I have a manners t5-a with the thumbhole. When shooting I keep my thumb to the side, where the thumbhole seems to help me is when picking the gun up off a bag, single handed. But I've used standard and pistol gripped chassis before as well, they're all usable, this is just currently my favorite.

For me, I’ve yet to find anything better than the Whiskey 3 with the standard grip panels. Where the grip is located, size, and angle (or lack thereof) contributes to a very natural feeling. Where the thumb rest is located is like the cherry on top.

For my latest chassis I’m working on modifying a BCM Mod 3 grip to get as close to the Whiskey 3 feel as I can. It came with an Ergo grip which I am not a fan of at least in this particular application. Works well with the Envy somehow. Tried to use the Ergo vertical grip and came to the conclusion of dislike as well. The swell in combination of the finger grooves makes my hand feel disconnected from everything else. The softness of the grip may contribute to that. Those with large mits may benefit from what my medium hand disagrees with.

Stocks and chassis are really personal. You really have to try it on. No different than pants and shoes really. It’s crazy how different the feel is from one to the next. It’s no bullshit that a properly fitting chassis / stock will make a big difference. The grip is just one piece of the puzzle.

Totally user preference. I much prefer the 'traditional' grip that you detailed, but I've got a Boyd's thumbhole on a Savage MkII that feels great.

I think you'll see more difference on how well one shoots (or feels) based on the distance in trigger reach between the stocks. My hand is built for a McM A4...as much as I loved the looks of an AI stock, I can't get around how I have to consciously adjust my trigger finger to fit the pad correctly.

As always everyone's mileage will vary.

Yeah, I've been wanting to get behind a Whiskey-3, but I've only seen Bravo's where I am and boy have I seen a lot of them.

I personally like a vertical grip that allows me to comfortably not wrap my thumb around it, similar to the MPA chassis and its small thumb groove they cut above the grip. Best of both worlds, because it gives me a more vertical grip without making it uncomfortable or awkward to avoid wrapping the thumb. The main reason I switched from an XLR chassis to an MPA was because of that, since even with a thumb shelf the geometry of the XLR didn't make it particularly comfortable to avoid wrapping your thumb.

I honestly dont care. What I do care about is the grip angle. I know we aren't specifically talking about traditional hunting style monte carlo stocks, but here I go.

They work just fine for me shooting offhand, but any supported position and I just can not make them work. Very uncomfortable for me. Maybe it's how my wrist is built, who knows.

I do prefer a thumb shelf though. The krg bravo for example works a lot better for me than running an AR from the prone, but I think an x ray or whiskey would be just fine.