• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Training loads?

D Richardson

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I'm still a relatively new precision shooter and have recently started to reload for my .308. I don't feel that my ability is currently consistent enough to start to really work up a load so I was hoping to get some advice. I know that all guns are different so there won't be any magic recipe, but if you were going to load some "training ammo" what combo would you use? Once I feel confident enough in my ability to gain some meaningful data I plan to experiment and find "my load". The rifle is a 24 inch FN PBR XP. I have some 155 grain SMK's, 165 grain Hornady SST's (hunting bullets for my Remington pump) and some IMR 3031 and some Varget. Not set on any of these components so any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Training loads?

What kind of powder charge? Do you normally see better accuracy at the bottom of the charge weights or more towards the middle of the sweep? I don't see a point in pushing it hard on a practice load. Or is this one of those no rhyme or reason questions?

My practise load is my hunting load is my comp load. I personally dont see the advantage of shooting a load with different recoil and ballistics.

I use the 168Amax and for most people 45 to 46 grains of Varget is the sweet spot.

Good Luck

I say train as you fight or how you plan to fight. If you are going to use a certain load for hunting or any other purpose I would use that same one all around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Richardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I <snip> recently started to reload for my .308. I <snip> know that all guns are different so there won't be any magic recipe, but if you were going to load some "training ammo" what combo would you use? <snip> The rifle is a 24 inch FN PBR XP. I have some 155 grain SMK's, 165 grain Hornady SST's (hunting bullets for my Remington pump) and some IMR 3031 and some Varget. </div></div>

Try 155 Scenars with 43.6 gr Varget COAL of 2.820 (and CCI primers in Win cases).

This is about as light as one can go with Varget and 155s. This load in my gun has shot as small as 0.188" 5-shot groups.

After you have a hand at this, start working up. You will find another accuracy node in the mid-44 gr range, the mid 46-gr range, and one up near 47.8 gr. The 47.8 gr (win cases, 47.4-.5 in Lapua cases) loading is right at the edge of sane pressures so work up slowly watching pressure signs. Don't go below 43.5 gr.

Work up ONE good load that your rifle likes, and stick with it. There are so many variables in this game beyond YOUR control, why introduce another.

i have 2 loads for my 308

1: Lapua Brass, Berger 155.5g, Varget

2: Win brass, Nosler 155, rl-15

i rarely shoot the noslers past 300yds and use those to work on positional shooting mainly at 300yd or at the local 100yard range.

i can get 1000 of the nosler 155s for what 500 155.5's cost me.

i will deal with keeping extra data cards and info for that savings.

I train with the .22LR, and save the Centerfire bore for more serious applications. I only use my 'real' load with the Centerfire.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tnichols</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Work up ONE good load that your rifle likes, and stick with it. There are so many variables in this game beyond YOUR control, why introduce another. </div></div>

That is the thing, right now I'm not confident in my skills enough to know that I'm not another variable. When I practice some more I have every intention to work up my one go to load. Thanks for the info everyone.