• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG-22 Newbie, Got Some Questions

Sigquick

Minuteman
Sep 1, 2012
Hello All,

Just purchased a tan .308 TRG. Been searching for info on building it up but still have some questions:

1) Bipod: how easily is it to remove and reattach the Sako bipod? My concern is it scratching not only the TRG, but other rifles in my safe. Have an Atlas on another rifle and love it. If I go with Atlas which is the best way to mount, under stock or in front of stock? 90% of the time TRG will be used on a bench.

2) Muzzle brake: will probably go with Sako, but is there a big improvement with the Eurooptic brake or other manufacture?

3) Optic: leaning towards the NF 5.5x22 MOAR, but only have enough funds currently for Vortex PST. Anyone shooting the PST on their TRG and happy about it or should I keep saving. I know this topic is common, but my searches don't seem to show TRG with anything less than NF, and frequently with more expensive optics.

Thanks in Advance

Re: TRG-22 Newbie, Got Some Questions

Bipod snaps on/off quicker and easier than any other and I love the way the rifle sets in it,but it is expensive.
Breaks are very good but not that much different than any other like the Near or countless others, for 308 I would just get the cheaper of those available.
Scopes, same as any rifle, get what you like.

The Sako bipod attaches very easily and is rock solid. If you decide to go with the Atlas I would mount in front of the stock rather than under the bottom. Mounting out front can further reduce bipod hop when shooting off a bench.

The Sako brake is effective and simple. Get the one that looks the best to you. You probably will not be able to tell the difference between brakes recoil wise.

The Viper PST is a good scope. Get that now, and practice with it. If you really dislike it there is always the option to upgrade in the future.

Is there a less agressive replacement foot or a covering for the feet on the Sako bipod. Something like a rubber boot for slicker surfaces? On the Sako brake most of the pictures I've seen have set screw sticking up on the top, what is it's purpose?

Thanks for the input guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sigquick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a less agressive replacement foot or a covering for the feet on the Sako bipod. Something like a rubber boot for slicker surfaces? On the Sako brake most of the pictures I've seen have set screw sticking up on the top, what is it's purpose?

Thanks for the input guys.
</div></div>

Mirage Band

IMO Near makes the best muzzle break/scope bases for sako's. Also the bipods are nice but you got to really want them for around $400.
Optics..all preference. I prefer a mil/mil scope.

you know how easy it is the set up the bipod, there are better brakes and the Vortex PST is a great scope for the money.
all good choices, congrats on the new TRG ownership.

Mirage band off the brake screw, learned something new thanks Chiller.

Found great deal on a almost new Sako bipod, purchased it.

Most dealers have the PST 6-24x50 on back order but found a dealer who has them in stock. Think I'll go with the PST, if I decide on NF later the PST can go on my Kidd modified 10/22. Any recommendations on tactical ring setup for Vortex scope?

Still researching muzzle brake options and some kind of rubber socks possibly for Sako bipod. Thanks for all the help.

First off, welcome to the TRG gang!

The Sako biopod is great. It's stable, easy to take on and off, and easy to manipulate. The downside for sure is the price but I'm happy with mine. If it's not your thing you won't have any problems finding a buyer for it.

The muzzle brake is up to you. The Sako works great. I currently have a Center Shot Rifles Muscle Brake. I like it a lot and it's a bit more streamlined.

Hope this help and good luck with your TRG!

Hi Bro! I too just recently picked up a TRG 22 in TAN and LOVES IT to death!!! It's my dream rifle so I always on the look out for one and finally found a deal I couldn't pass up!

Mine came with the NEAR Brake and SAKO Bipod in the package and I have to say the Sako Bipod is worth Every Penny! It's greatly designed and bullet proof built. The only down fall is it wiggles around when you're not using it or in folded positions. So when you're carrying it with the Bipod it'll make some noises. However, since it's so easy to Put On/Take Off you can just leave it off when you're not using it!

I personally prefer the Near Brake over the Factory unit, the way the ports is designed it directs the Blast not only to the Side, but Upward too to keep the muzzle flip down.

For the Scope, I own Both 4-16 and 6-24 Vortex Viper PST FFP MRAD scopes and I like them both, as someone mentioned above, it's good scope for the Money.

But just wondering, are you going to use a different base with Built In Cant (20MOA)? My TRG came with the Factory Mil Pic Rail but it's 0MOA. The scope I'm running is a Bushnell HDMR with the G2 Ret which is Great for Hold Over/Fast Adjust ment shots! I believe Bushnell also makes a Elite Tactical Series 6-24 FFP illuminated G2 Ret too which is the Same Price as the PSTs but a Better Ret and I believe a Better Glass Too Made in Japan vs Philippines (I think). For the same prices and Better Glass/Ret I'd go with the Bushnell if I were you, and maybe just maybe you won't need to upgrade the scope for a Long Long Time!

Congrats and Good Luck Bro!

Cheers!

1. Sako bipod is expensive as hell, but really awesome. And I'm gonna let you in on a well kept secret, the TRG can handle scratches and makes you gun look even more awesome
wink.gif

2. Pick one that allows you to quick attach a can, that you might buy in the future.

3. Go with MIL/MIL and stay away from MOA
grin.gif

Thanks for all the help gentlemen. Got a like new Sako bipod and Sako brake at a great price. The Vortex PST should arrive Monday at latest, then it's time to shoot her. I'm sure I'll make some changes like the NF scope as time progresses.

Cheers

If your worried about the bipod feet being sharp, just add a few layers of painters tape (blue tape) to the bottom. At first I was worried about mine because it caused some wear on my cheap shooting mat, but who cares since the mat only cost $40.

I also added some 4-mil teflon tape to the attachment point, and at the swivle point to add tension at those two points.

If you want to upgrade to a sloped rail/base, I suggest the Near Mfg 25-moa base. $175, and well worth the money.

Contact frankythefly and ask him for a TRG adapter for your Atlas bipod.
I have seen some guys sliding some sort of rubber tube over the bipod's feet.
It looked like a bicycle tube thing.
On the Equipment forum there are pictures of the adapter,take a look.

Sako bipod is worth every penny. Quick attach/detach.

Sako break is unbelievably good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sigquick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Any recommendations on tactical ring setup for Vortex scope?

</div></div>

My recomendation is to get the Spuhr, one piece mount, that attach directly to the reciever.

The bi pod is very much each to their own. I've shot better in competition from a Harris. But I like my factory bi pod. If only it could be loced in place.

If you can afford te spuhr go for it.

sorry out of topic

I bought a Trg 22 an year ago and I didn't use it at all because I was out of the country. I just kept it in my gun case, is it ok to keep a gun for so long like that or should I take it to a gun smith, this is my first gun and I don't know much about it.