• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG appreciation thread - Part III

Yea their folder alone is a pretty penny considering you can get the entire W3 chassis for a trg for $50 more for non folder and like $150 more for a folder. My plan was a full W3 chassis if I found a "cheap" trg22 as a donor. There is one in the PX I was ready to pull the trigger on but he didn't have the trigger guard which you need. Couldn't source one as a replacement.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. You'll get nothing for nothing...

The KRG stocks are copies of the TRG with modifications. They build off of a main rail to which other component are bolted on to.

The KRG folder is excellent and folds to the left due to interference with the bolt handle.

Most KRG accessories will fit the TRG main rail with a bit of work. Not everyone will be able to modify or manufacture the parts to do this, so KRG reply with a "No" when asked.
(I've put a KRG enclosed forend for a Tikka (CTR version) on my 22. Pics in thread IIRC)

If you have a TRG, IMO there is no need to buy a complete KRG chassis. Just buy the folder and a forend. There will be some work to make the forend fit, but nothing that will deterr me (IMO).

@FUNCTIONAL
Was it the TRG that was missing the trigger guard? The KRG uses the TRG's.

Reactions: DKN83
I've said it before and I'll say it again. You'll get nothing for nothing...

The KRG stocks are copies of the TRG with modifications. They build off of a main rail to which other component are bolted on to.

The KRG folder is excellent and folds to the left due to interference with the bolt handle.

Most KRG accessories will fit the TRG main rail with a bit of work. Not everyone will be able to modify or manufacture the parts to do this, so KRG reply with a "No" when asked.
(I've put a KRG enclosed forend for a Tikka (CTR version) on my 22. Pics in thread IIRC)

If you have a TRG, IMO there is no need to buy a complete KRG chassis. Just buy the folder and a forend. There will be some work to make the forend fit, but nothing that will deterr me (IMO).

@FUNCTIONAL
Was it the TRG that was missing the trigger guard? The KRG uses the TRG's.
Thanks for that info in the trg/krg backbone and accessories. I'm plenty capable of modifying but had no idea what was involved. I'll keep it in mind for the future. Still might want a more "classic" trg in the future.

Yes he had it in a vision chassis. One guy wanted the chassis and I only wanted the action but without that trigger guard it would have been tough to do. Tried finding one but they seem like hens teeth.

Thanks for that info in the trg/krg backbone and accessories. I'm plenty capable of modifying but had no idea what was involved. I'll keep it in mind for the future. Still might want a more "classic" trg in the future.

Yes he had it in a vision chassis. One guy wanted the chassis and I only wanted the action but without that trigger guard it would have been tough to do. Tried finding one but they seem like hens teeth.
KRG has a polymer trigger guard that might be useful:

For some reason there seems to be some trouble regarding KRG and the dealers in my part of the world. I don't know why and I won't speculate, but for some reason or other dealers over here won't accept orders on KRG parts. Otherwise I would have ordered one long ago for a my M995/TRG-42 project.

For me, $30 is a no brainer, just to see if I could make it work... 😉

KRG has a polymer trigger guard that might be useful:

For some reason there seems to be some trouble regarding KRG and the dealers in my part of the world. I don't know why and I won't speculate, but for some reason or other dealers over here won't accept orders on KRG parts. Otherwise I would have ordered one long ago for a my M995/TRG-42 project.

For me, $30 is a no brainer, just to see if I could make it work... 😉
Well now I feel like an idiot.... why would they not just include the trigger guard with their full chassis. I didn't even bother to look at krg because it wasn't part of the chassis kit.

A1 arrives at my dealer today though.... but if that trg22 action stays up for sale I may be tempted sill.

Well now I feel like an idiot.... why would they not just include the trigger guard with their full chassis. I didn't even bother to look at krg because it wasn't part of the chassis kit.

A1 arrives at my dealer today though.... but if that trg22 action stays up for sale I may be tempted sill.
At first, I felt a bit sorry for you. Then I read on and remembered... Not so much any longer. 😜

Seriously. That A1 will be all and everything you'll ever need. 😁👍

And if you do get that action, I'd be happy to try to answer any questions. As will probably more of us TRG enthusiasts in this thread.

Reactions: VargmatII
At first, I felt a bit sorry for you. Then I read on and remembered... Not so much any longer. 😜

Seriously. That A1 will be all and everything you'll ever need. 😁👍

And if you do get that action, I'd be happy to try to answer any questions. As will probably more of us TRG enthusiasts in this thread.
🤣 yea I'm not upset I have the A1 here. The only torture now is it sitting in my truck while I finish the work day and my rings don't show up until saturday... the titanium color is petty nice in person too. Nice change up from black tan or green.

Reactions: CerebralDistortion
More to follow when I actually get her out in the wild this weekend. Going to lube her up and put some rounds out first before I pass judgement.

20240207_173109.jpg

Oh.... That color is cool.
(Checks bank account.... Nope. )
Haha yea I'm going to be completely honest right now, might hurt some feelings...

I'm not as impressed with the trg as I thought I would be. To the point it may be going back..... it feels like a slightly better tikka action in a fancy stock. Worth a price increase but I'm not convinced it's worth 5-6k. The design is awesome and a lot of things are very well thought out but compared to my AI side by side I'm struggling if I want to keep it. If I put rounds down it then I can't send it back so it's tough.

Haha yea I'm going to be completely honest right now, might hurt some feelings...

I'm not as impressed with the trg as I thought I would be. To the point it may be going back..... it feels like a slightly better tikka action in a fancy stock. Worth a price increase but I'm not convinced it's worth 5-6k. The design is awesome and a lot of things are very well thought out but compared to my AI side by side I'm struggling if I want to keep it. If I put rounds down it then I can't send it back so it's tough.
It’s all personal preference. Personally I’ll take a trg everyday of the week over a ai. Trg is a just a solid platform that works. And quite a lot less bulky. It’s a hard use action that you don’t have to baby sit in harsh conditions(not to say the ai isn’t). Most will out shoot ur average ai with the right ammo and shooter. Most winter abuse/ freeze test review cases the trg doesn’t freeze or fail but a few ai and 700 style customs will. Plus most the the reviews on the a1 show them being a damn near 1/4 moa gun. I live in northern Michigan where I coyote hunt in the worst time of the year cuz it’s what I like to do. Sometimes the gun gets covered in snow, ice , rain mix etc and I don’t have to worry. But if you just cart ur guns from the truck to the range most of that would be a wash vs a ai. Plus I do think the 5500 is a little stupid for what the original series sold for. I’d Probly think about selling mine for a a1 but I don’t know if I want to add another 2 lbs to the rifle for the new chassis. As a 10 lbs field rifle without scope is kinda nice

It’s all personal preference. Personally I’ll take a trg everyday of the week over a ai. Trg is a just a solid platform that works. And quite a lot less bulky. It’s a hard use action that you don’t have to baby sit in harsh conditions(not to say the ai isn’t). Most will out shoot ur average ai with the right ammo and shooter. Most winter abuse/ freeze test review cases the trg doesn’t freeze or fail but a few ai and 700 style customs will. Plus most the the reviews on the a1 show them being a damn near 1/4 moa gun. I live in northern Michigan where I coyote hunt in the worst time of the year cuz it’s what I like to do. Sometimes the gun gets covered in snow, ice , rain mix etc and I don’t have to worry. But if you just cart ur guns from the truck to the range most of that would be a wash vs a ai. Plus I do think the 5500 is a little stupid for what the original series sold for. I’d Probly think about selling mine for a a1 but I don’t know if I want to add another 2 lbs to the rifle for the new chassis. As a 10 lbs field rifle without scope is kinda nice
Might have been a bit harsh in some sense. The action is smooth... more like a tight velvet feel. I'm sure it will get less sticky once it wears in. What I might be perceiving as "less quality" is its light feeling. It's easily less bulky than the AI for sure. The ai action feels like a glass bank vault that can probably be attributed to the different coatings. The accuracy reports from damn near every review/ post I can find was part of the reason I bought it in the first place.

Like I said I still might end up keeping it. As for use, I compete with every rifle I own and this will be no different. Rain, shine, snow, mud its coming out. If I ever find a farmer that let's me hunt their land it will be out for that to.

Reactions: DKN83 and Tikkaguy

Feelings? All I care about is facts. 😜
If you feel the AI is a better gun for you, so it is.

I appreciate the lightness of the TRG. But then again my experience is with the 22/42 and only in comparison to the AIAW.

If it is "sticky", clean the bolt well and apply a light mineral oil to the body (wipe of excess) and a small amount of grease on the lugs. I've never had a sticky bolt on a TRG, new or used (three 42 and one 22).

Reactions: DKN83
To the point it may be going back.....If I put rounds down it then I can't send it back so it's tough.
Where is this magical place in where you can return a gun after you sign the 4473?

(I think that’s the name of the form. The thing you sign when you buy/pick up a gun.)

Euro optic. Asked that very question.

I'm leaning more towards keeping it.
Good god man!

Maybe I should buy guns from Eurooptic. That’s the first place I’ve ever heard of that does that (I know they do that with scopes).

Although my local gun shop gives a lifetime warranty on new and used guns…that’s super handy. With my luck at least.

My problem with the A1 version is the price increase for a piece of metal. Yes you get the folding stock and adjustability. I'd rather go to the M10 and get a multi caliber system. In fact i ordered an M10 just recently.

I think i pretty much know what you mean with the feeling of the bolt. My AW bolt feels great, pretty sure its the coating, if i would only be allowed to judge by the feeling of running the bolt...AW all day. My TRG 22/42 run equally easy, even easier but with a different feeling.

All are great platforms, the bonded System on the AI is a minor plus concerning ruggedness to me. I enjoy both very much.

However, i'd buy A TRG 22/42 or a M10 and skip the A1. Dont like chassis anyways so thats a bias from my side.

There is only one way to see if the A1 is worth the money. Rattle can it and shoot the shit out of it.

Cheers

Gents, does anyone have an extra bolt tool and can share it? Can't find mine.

Attachments

• Sako.jpg
    Sako.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Reactions: stefan73
Reactions: Tikkaguy and DKN83

Well.... its staying and I'm honestly impressed with how smooth this rifle shoots. I have a ton of 308s but this is the most soft shooting I own. I haven't put it on paper( rough zeroed on steel at 100) but still managed to center punch a 1" steel triangle at 120yrds after. One of the few rifles I've misjudged by finger Fing before shooting.
20240210_130947.jpg
20240210_130957.jpg
20240210_131035.jpg

Broke my new barreled TRG 22 in today with 50 shots. Looks very promising. One low from sighting in by looking through the barrel. Used 10x magnification on my 3-12x50 PMII. At some point i just sent them out for the sake of getting done with the procedure. When i got the target back i was well surprised. Considering this one should reach maximum accuracy within 200 rounds and me not shooting too focused i am very exited on how this will turn out. Sako factory barreled btw.

100m, lapua 175gr scenar-l factory ammo. 50 shots.

1000020825.jpg

Broke my new barreled TRG 22 in today with 50 shots. Looks very promising. One low from sighting in by looking through the barrel. Used 10x magnification on my 3-12x50 PMII. At some point i just sent them out for the sake of getting done with the procedure. When i got the target back i was well surprised. Considering this one should reach maximum accuracy within 200 rounds and me not shooting too focused i am very exited on how this will turn out. Sako factory barreled btw.

100m, lapua 175gr scenar-l factory ammo. 50 shots.

View attachment 8349797
As expected I would say... 😉😁👍

Did you chrono?

How many of you have had to tweak the mag lips to get consistent feeding? Only used one mag of my 3 so far but a few rounds out of the 10 would get caught half way out of the mag. I've had to mod aics mags for this very reason but for a $200 mag I'd have hoped for better.

More just asking, it's not a huge deal.

Over 4 TRGs 22 in 308, 260, & 6.5 Creed, maybe 10-12 magazines, and who knows how many rounds (a lot) I have had exactly 0 malfunctions of any kind. I would be hard pressed to feel the need to modify a TRG magazine.

Reactions: DKN83 and TheOE800
Over 4 TRGs 22 in 308, 260, & 6.5 Creed, maybe 10-12 magazines, and who knows how many rounds (a lot) I have had exactly 0 malfunctions of any kind. I would be hard pressed to feel the need to modify a TRG magazine.
I can run the bolt half way and the mag doesnt release the back of the bullet so it gets jammed tip up. If I release some pressure on the bolt and then push it forward it loads but thats it. On the AICS I've just spread to the front of the mag lips open to pop the back of the round out faster.

Going to try the other 2 mags tomorrow and well see.

Reactions: jbell
How many of you have had to tweak the mag lips to get consistent feeding? Only used one mag of my 3 so far but a few rounds out of the 10 would get caught half way out of the mag. I've had to mod aics mags for this very reason but for a $200 mag I'd have hoped for better.

More just asking, it's not a huge deal.
Had some trouble with a new mag where there were grades causing scratches along the case when feeding. Some filing and a bit of sanding took care of that.

Then again I like to modify and tinker (and am able to do so without making a mess of things most of the time).

Unfortunately, as i see it, more expensive things are not always more durable.

Well only 1 mag out of my 3 had that feed issue. Super minor bend of the feed lips and it ran as good as the others.

It does NOT like my generic m118lr load that ever other one of my 308s shoots on average 0.5". Was so terrible I got a little concerned and re-torqued all of my screws and bought some fgmm 175 and 185 to test. 175 average was 0.55" over 4 groups and the 185 was a bit all over the place. Not the "ragged hole" a lot of the reviews are posting up but I'll say with fgmm 175 it's an honest 1/2moa. Going to try a more custom load for it with 175smk and 175 RDF for matches.
20240217_131209.jpg

Reactions: CerebralDistortion
Well only 1 mag out of my 3 had that feed issue. Super minor bend of the feed lips and it ran as good as the others.

It does NOT like my generic m118lr load that ever other one of my 308s shoots on average 0.5". Was so terrible I got a little concerned and re-torqued all of my screws and bought some fgmm 175 and 185 to test. 175 average was 0.55" over 4 groups and the 185 was a bit all over the place. Not the "ragged hole" a lot of the reviews are posting up but I'll say with fgmm 175 it's an honest 1/2moa. Going to try a more custom load for it with 175smk and 175 RDF for matches.
View attachment 8351256
My guess is as you get to know and more used to it the group size will decrease.
Being hammer forged the barrel wont need a break in, but a bit of fouling wont hurt.
(I suppose you know this already...)

I got a load with 175 gr Scenar-L/SMK that is a bit slow but precise. @VargmatII uses this as well. 40.4 gr VV N140, 71 mm COAL and Fed 215.

Good luck!

View attachment 8351256
Well if it's a 1:11 twist it will most likely favor a 168 over the heavier pills. Mine shot 1/2-3/4 moa with 175 lapua but even just a 168 hpbt in lake city brass would shoot 1/4-3/8

Well if it's a 1:11 twist it will most likely favor a 168 over the heavier pills. Mine shot 1/2-3/4 moa with 175 lapua but even just a 168 hpbt in lake city brass would shoot 1/4-3/8
They had 168, 175 and 185. I figured the 175 would shoot and I pulled the 185 because I've never seen it on the shelf 😂. Going to give the 185 a test in some other guns. My goal is to compete in prs tactical matches with this trg so ib won't be going higher than a 178 anyway. A 26" 1/11 should stabilize it.

They had 168, 175 and 185. I figured the 175 would shoot and I pulled the 185 because I've never seen it on the shelf 😂. Going to give the 185 a test in some other guns. My goal is to compete in prs tactical matches with this trg so ib won't be going higher than a 178 anyway. A 26" 1/11 should stabilize it.
i had a lot of slower twist 308s shoot the 178 eld match well. Never really cared for the 175 match king myself. The 168 hornaday hp is lights out in my trg barrel but the bc is like a bowling ball

i had a lot of slower twist 308s shoot the 178 eld match well. Never really cared for the 175 match king myself. The 168 hornaday hp is lights out in my trg barrel but the bc is like a bowling ball
Talked to a shooter this morning and think I'm going to try the 169smk on top of N150. Supposedly that's one hell of a combo and will put me at the speed I was hoping to be at without pushing it too hard. 169 should work well with the 11 twist and its only 5-7 grains but should be able to pick up some extra speed over a 175/178.

Oddly enough I've never had luck with ANY hornady Amax or ELDM, ever. I have done great with their HPBT heads though when available. For the cost they are a really nice bullet and have shot well in a lot of my guns.

Reactions: Tikkaguy
IMHO N140 or N150 doesn't matter much. I've got a hotter load for 175 gr bullets with N140 for targets beyond 1k (m).

The 95s shoot better then i thought they would a good bit of H-4895 and they stay right around .5 at 100,that dog was taken out at 345yds.

Reactions: Tikkaguy
Gents, does anyone have an extra bolt tool and can share it? Can't find mine.
I'll look to see if I have a spare. It will probably be this weekend or next week since I'm heading out of town. Shoot me a message please to remind me.

Reactions: Silvan
I'll look to see if I have a spare. It will probably be this weekend or next week since I'm heading out of town. Shoot me a message please to remind me.
I sent you a message. I have a spare that I'll send you. Please remind me Monday when I get back home.

V/R

Hi guys, I’m a new owner of a Sako TRG 42 (post 2013 Beretta corp) and was wondering, should I just pony up and buy all available replacement parts for it before its phased out entirely in lue of the M10/A1-2 variants that are offered (unsure if they’re compatible or not) Or should I be fine for quite a while with factory parts in it?

Even some heads up on parts that do wear out would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I do have a bolt tool if you’re in need of one still.

You should buy my folder, but to your answer: keep critical components in a range kit.

Critical parts to keep you from having a bad day would be whatever deadlines your bolt: so a firing pin and a bolt parts kit.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I’m a new owner of a Sako TRG 42 (post 2013 Beretta corp) and was wondering, should I just pony up and buy all available replacement parts for it before its phased out entirely in lue of the M10/A1-2 variants that are offered (unsure if they’re compatible or not) Or should I be fine for quite a while with factory parts in it?

Even some heads up on parts that do wear out would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I do have a bolt tool if you’re in need of one still.
Congrats!

Buying all available spare parts seems a bit excessive. The A1 models are the same old action in a chassis, so parts should be available for a long time.

I haven't heard of many firing pins breaking, but do as you wish. Buy a "bolt stop kit", an "extractor spring kit" and you're set.

They also stopped selling alot of spare parts. Not sure you can even buy spare triggers and bolts, etc anymore. But maybe I'm wrong.