• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tried 1985 yds today.

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    Well I gave it a few shots @ 1985 yds today. Had a great day to shoot. Almost no wind slightly cloudy, temps in the low to mid 50's. But my spotter couldn't see the trace.(complete newbie) So I fired 10 rnds coaching him , trying to get him to see the trace, but no joy. I did realise later that I didn't take into account the Coriolis. Couldn't see where any of the rounds hit due to the soft soil,@ the target.
    300 WM 26" 1:10 tw.
    208 A-Max @ 2968 fps.
    I know they were going subsonic @ that range, but If Montana Marine could get them to 1800+ with a 308, I figured I could get them that far, & still hit point first. Now I'm looking for a way to see the impacts, or someone that can see trace for me in my AO. It was a good none the less.

Re: Tried 1985 yds today.

Sounds like fun.

I've had the 30-06 out to 1930 yards.

I was launchimng 208s at 2700 fps. Ground was rather dry and dust signatures were very visible. TOF was around 3.5 seconds. I was kinda shooting into the afternoon sun, and that helped illuminate the dust clouds.

I was shooting at a small juniper on a slope waaaay past my lased 1050 yard steel target. when I got back to the steel, I lased the juniper and it was 880 yards beyond the steel, so I figured about 1930 yards, give or take. Hits at the base of the juniper were fairly consistent. Wind was light, probably 0-3 mph, half value.

Well that gives hope for my planned one mile shooting with a 300 Weatherby at 208 grain Amaxes.

Dry ground will be pretty hard to come by in my AO for a long time yet, so I'm going to look into moving the target into a different place that may give better visibility of impacts, & try again. I was pleased that my Swaro LRF would give me a range that far away, even if I did set up my reflector next to the target.

So how did you do? You said it was a good day but what did your targets look like? Any hits or groups you can tell us about?

The 300WM is going to be my next rifle.

Big wheels, would you mind sharing the Load data you used. I recently ran an OCW test with RL-22 and 208's, also out of a 26" tube (Shilen).
    My Max load ran around 2950 fps but was a little on the hot side. I was also firing the test in less than 40deg temps.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did realise later that I didn't take into account the Coriolis</div></div>

That's the Aurora Coriolis right ?

The load is as follows.
    Winchester brass, trimmed to 2.610". Neck turned .002" tension.
    Winchester WLRM primers
    77.5gr. H-Retumbo
    208 A-Max Moly seated to oal of 3.640"
    2 chrony's both averaged this load in my rifle @ 2961 fps. Corrected to 2968 for 15' from muzzle.
    I didn't hit the target even once. Spotter couldn't see any trace for me, & no impact evidence near the target, due to soft, wet soil. (Was shooting into a clear cut.)I'm going to move the target into a more open section, & see if I can see an impact when I try again.

LL. You funny guy. Yeah, I didn't set that in my options for FFS. When I did enter it later it adjusted my dope another 1.2moa left. Add spin drift, & I may have been hitting 4' to the left of the target from that range. I had no wind dope for any of the 10 shots.I stopped wasting ammo after 10 because without info from my spotter I was just wasting my time, & ammo.

I went back to try again, & moved the target into a clearer area,(that brought the range to 2000) & was able to finally see where they were hitting.
    My tweaked FFS gave me wrong dope for that range.(I tweaked it to give real dope for 1100)
    I needed about 10MOA more to get to 2000. I had to give 85 moa on the turret, & hold another 10 with the NP-R1. I got dialed close(about 2'left) when the storm came in. It rained too hard to even see the target anymore. I know what dope I need now, so next time I'll be hitting my steel.

We are having a rainy spell for the next week or so, so it'll be a little while, but I'll let you know. So far I'm certain that they are still stable out there. JBM said the velocity was down to 950'ish fps out there with 3.6+ sec. flight time. May be 10 sec. from fire to hearing the ding. If I can even hear a ding that far away.
    Target is a 30" X 18" steel silhouette. Looks real small over there. Less than 1.5 moa in the scope.

try the south and south east slopes. They tend to melt/dry off first.

Nice, Bigwheels!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Big wheels, would you mind sharing the Load data you used. I recently ran an OCW test with RL-22 and 208's, also out of a 26" tube (Shilen).
    My Max load ran around 2950 fps but was a little on the hot side. I was also firing the test in less than 40deg temps.
    Thanks </div></div>
    You can get a little more velocity with H1000 or similar burn speed powder with the 208. R22 is great for the 190 grain range. I posted my load data using R22 and H1000 on another 300WM thread with the 208.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did realise later that I didn't take into account the Coriolis</div></div>

That's the Aurora Coriolis right ? </div></div>

Thanks for the laugh, that was a good one.

Chris

spinning of the earth, remember the flight time of 338 Lapua 250 grn @ 2000 yards is about is 4.351 sec. The world is spinning at the target is not in the same place as it was 5 sec ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigdog2084</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is coriolis? thanks </div></div>

Basicly, when the bullet leaves the end of the barrel it is now on it's own vector, this vector is somewhat independent of our "view". For the time the bullet is in the air, it is vectored to where the target was, and the earth has "moved" the target. This is more noticeable at 90 degrees FROM the Equator, so facing ie north/south.

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/glossary/coriolis_effect.html

My wife is going to kill me using a UofO website being she is a OSU grad!