• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger pull weight

For those who have adjustable triggers, what weight pull do you have set? Curious to see numbers.
I have different pull weights for different guns depending on how I use them. For most of my target shooting, have mine set near the lowest it'll go at ~12oz. For benchrest shooting I really like 4 oz. I wouldn't have any of my hunting rifles set to those low pulls as it just doesn't feel safe. . . especially if it's cold weather and I'm wearing gloves, so 3 lbs is about as low as I'll go there.

I have different pull weights for different guns depending on how I use them. For most of my target shooting, have mine set near the lowest it'll go at ~12oz. For benchrest shooting I really like 4 oz. I wouldn't have any of my hunting rifles set to those low pulls as it just doesn't feel safe. . . especially if it's cold weather and I'm wearing gloves, so 3 lbs is about as low as I'll go there.
Gotcha. I guess I should have been a tad more specific. Pull weight for NL or PRS competition. I just sent payment for a BnA tacsport trigger and it goes down to 10oz.

8oz on kidd 2 stage
8oz on vudoo timney hit with straight shoe
Centerfire rifles 8 to 12oz
Hunting rifles 2-3 lbs
Ar platform 3lbs. Hope that helps

Reactions: Bgriff008
8oz on kidd 2 stage
8oz on vudoo timney hit with straight shoe
Centerfire rifles 8 to 12oz
Hunting rifles 2-3 lbs
Ar platform 3lbs. Hope that helps
Yep it helps. Just getting a feel on where to start at a setting. My Bergara factory is said to be set at 2.8 lbs. ,which I thought would be just fine. Well I realized quickly during the comp that I’d like it set to a lighter pull.

NRL22, my 2-stage is set to 8oz/6oz.
I started out at 2.2lbs single stage, then over time, down to 1.5lbs. Switched to a 1.5lb 2-stage, down to 1.25lbs, and now down to about 1lb.

My preferences
ELR: 4oz or as low as it will go
Stationary mid-long range bench shooting like for things like Prairie dogs: 1.5lb
Hunting rifles: 3lb
No comment on PRS or 3 gun. I haven't got into that yet.

Eight ounces on my rifles, all used in PRS-style competition. I started with Tikka factory rifles which would only go down to 1.5 pounds after trigger spring replacement. First time I tried a buddy's custom, it was set to four ounces. I really liked it, pretty quickly got customs, and quickly found four ounces to be too light in competition, so I doubled it. That's worked for me for a couple of seasons.

One thing of note... my first precision rifle was a Tikka TAC A1 which, for whatever reason, was (maybe still is...?) the only Tikka I know of with a two-stage trigger. I really liked it, and put a Geissele National Match 2-stage on the gas gun I had at the time... All good until I pulled through the second stage one too many times in a match - no ND, but not the aimed shot I wanted either. The TAC A1 and the gas gun with their 2-stage triggers are gone, single stage at 8 oz. for me now.

I tend to like mine set higher than most here at total weight of about 1.5 lbs to a min of 1.25 lbs.

No competition here, in the future, maybe. No bench rest shooting either. Basically all prone or off of a makeshift barricade. Single stage at just under 2 lbs. I'm good with that , for now. Had it at a little under 1.5 lbs. out of the box new, but didn't like the Savage Accutrigger at that weight so I bumped it up a bit to where I'm at now.

The first time a shot a 2oz trigger I thought it was dangerous. After having varmint guns and two custom long range benchrest, built with Jewel triggers. I can now apply pressure to a 2oz and not have it go off. It is want you get used to.
Bat long range benchrest 1.5 oz
Stiller Diamondback Long Range benchrest 1.5 oz
Kidd Supergrade with Kidd 2 stage trigger 3oz./3oz
Bergara B14R Trigger Tech Diamond 6oz.
Tikka T1x 12 oz
Ruger Target Kidd 2 stage trigger 8oz./8oz

Reactions: todde
I just finally checked my T1x trigger with an actual gauge. With a Mountain Tactical spring it is at 1lb 6 oz and that is as light as it will go.
In my center fire the bix'n andy is set at 10oz first stage, 6 oz second stage.

One of these days I would like to get a two stage for the T1x and set it about the same because on the bench or prone I do notice the extra weight. Off a barricade though, it does not phase me at all. I shoot it and my friends Vudoo w/ a TT Diamond set at 10 oz exactly the same as my T1x. He has a harder time switching to my rifle though.

My vudoo is like 8oz first stage, 4oz second stage. Incredibly light. My AI is lighter than factory but it’s anyone’s best guess as to what it’s actually set to

My vudoo is like 8oz first stage, 4oz second stage. Incredibly light. My AI is lighter than factory but it’s anyone’s best guess as to what it’s actually set to
Can't you measure it the way you measured your Vudoo? I am only approximating using my trigger pull gauge. Trying to get two TT diamond 2-stages to be identical is pretty hard.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Gotcha. I guess I should have been a tad more specific. Pull weight for NL or PRS competition. I just sent payment for a BnA tacsport trigger and it goes down to 10oz.

This got me to thinking about an article I read about two years ago the touched on trigger pull weight and thought you might find it of interest if you've not already seen it, so here:

Reactions: z28kid
I like about 2.5 lbs. I've shot triggers down to an 1.5 ounces or so, and they are not for "field guns" IMO. I want to be able to actually place my finger on the trigger and start to apply pressure. I don't want the gun going off as soon as I touch the trigger.

Breathe in, let out about 80%, begin to apply pressure, hopefully the trigger breaks right about when I'm at the bottom of my breathing cycle--as opposed to starting to apply pressure when you are already at the bottom--this causes you to hold your breath more often than not, IME.

EDIT: I also shoot more consistently with a heavier trigger.

I use a trigger tech special with a flat shoe at about 12 oz on my prs gun.

I run 1.5 to 2.0 lbs on all my bolt guns regardless of intended use. Running either Timney or factory Sako triggers. Haven't changed a Sako out yet. Timney on everything else.

2lbs. I have over 2 dozen competition rifles. I've tried every trigger weight over the years. Consistently 2lbs works perfect for me. Light triggers always make me think about finger position *too* much. I can rest my finger on a 2lb trigger without worry and the feel is gradual right up to let off. My 0.02

Used the yodave spring to lower my CZ trigger pull from 2.5 to 1.5 lbs and that just feels like a massive difference, but has helped me a ton in positional PRS style match shooting. The problem is my son shoots matches with me so I left his CZ factory so I get my poor trigger finger all confused zeroing both pre match. I'm not sure I'm ready to put him down to a lighter trigger yet, he's 10yo...

my mdt is set at 11 oz , everything else is from 1lb to 4lbs

1.25 Lbs for Bolt Actions
3.5 Lbs for Semi Autos (ARs)
3~4.5 Lbs for pistols