• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Trigger Tech ?

Moose

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2005
    NJ
    Anyone running a TT trigger,Im looking for some hands on input on the TT.It looks like it might be something to put on the wish list.

I have one of the original units they offered, and it's a'ight. The Trigger Tech Diamond seems to be the current belle of the ball that everyone wants to dance with.

I have one on order, but if I had to guess I'd say that it's still probably a month out due to the backlog.

Thanks,That diamond version is the one i got my eye on.I hate backorders.

I went from a factory R700 trigger to the Triggertech special. Haven't adjusted it much, but was a MAJOR step up. Consistent and crisp!

TT Diamond is awesome.... worth the wait. :) I went from Rem 700 tuned trigger to Timney to Timney CE to a pair of TT Diamonds. The TT is far and away the best.

iFXjhYU.jpg

I went with the special, I was using a jewel set at 2 pounds and had several times where closing the bolt dropped the firing pin. Luckily it never happened on a loaded round but it happened randomly and I couldn't figure out what caused it. Combined with the time it fired when I took the safety off after pulling and releasing the trigger I decided I couldn't trust it anymore so I decided to ditch it for the TT.

While I've done some dry fire practice and a range trip I haven't spent a ton of time behind it. However with the little I have I like it as much as the jewel. Has a bit of a different feel to it that takes a little adjusting to but overall I can't say I would spend the extra for a jewel again.

That being said I'm on the fence between the trigger tech and the Geissele for my next build. I like my TT but I also like the extra safety of the Geissele and the one they had at the outdoors show felt very nice.

The TT Diamond is absolutely the finest trigger I've ever pulled, I now own 4...I will sell and replace every trigger I own with these. You will NOT regret it!! DO IT :)

Triggertech is the new hot thing to hit the R700 trigger world. They're the whole package, quality triggers, excellent customer care, and fair prices. As far as the triggers themselves, I only have the standard and special models, but I can attest to their durability. I've had other triggers break on me under far less stressful conditions than what I put my triggertechs through.

I've had no chassis/action compatibility problems, and no problems with slamfires even at the lowest setting.

They've pretty much convinced me to only buy triggertech from here on out, which works out fine because they have a trigger model for every pricepoint!

Yeah I'm a fanboy. Can't help it.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
    I have had one since they first came out.Love everything about it.Only problem now seems to be so does everyone else and your going to wait for one .The wait is worth it IMO.

Reactions: davidb187
    Just ordered my TT Special today. I was told the Diamond is not yet available for the R700 only the clones, sounds as though that was bad info??

I have the TT primary in my rifle set at 1.5lbs. No issues whatsoever. Everyone that shoots it comments on how crisp it is. Don't think you can go wrong with one. Really wanna get the special or diamond so I can get to 1lb.

Ordered two on 1/20 still waiting...

Damn that sucks. I ordered a diamond last Wednesday from OTM and installed it yesterday. Makes the jewel feel mushy. Only problem now is I need to buy 3 more.

Last edited:
    Just ordered my TT Special today. I was told the Diamond is not yet available for the R700 only the clones, sounds as though that was bad info??

I believe what they mean is that there isn't a model out yet that has a bolt release built in, which you would need for a factory R700.

I’ve been using the Special and really like it. I would likely go with the Diamond but don’t feel the need to go lighter at the moment. I would love to see a 2 stage from them. The Geissele R700 trigger has me intrigued.

What can is that?

Reactions: JFComfort
    Sorry to say this but mine were both flats.
    Well... shit. It looks like this is going to hold up completion of a build for me... so, ironically, I may end up stealing a base model Trigger Tech off of another rifle in order to assemble my new rifle until my Diamond comes in.

Some say the lack of over travel on a TT trigger and no way to adjust it have a negative effect on accuracy. Anyone have an opinion about this?

Just got my TT Special installed tonight and after a very simple adjustment, it's breaking clean at 20 oz. Now it's time to burn some powder and work up a load, hopefully, tomorrow will be the day. I too believe it feels better than my Jewel trigger, seems to have a cleaner release, perhaps I just need to adjust the Jewel a little. duntno...

A recently a couple months ago got a TT special straight shoe. Breaks perfectly clean no creep or overtravel. I just can’t get the thing to not feel heavier although the pull gauge shows it’s breaking the same weight as my jewels. It’s the first straight I’ve had. Perhaps that’s the difference in feel. Not decided yet at this point

Some say the lack of over travel on a TT trigger and no way to adjust it have a negative effect on accuracy. Anyone have an opinion about this?

Short answer is yes.

Even bench rest guys who shoot 2oz (ounce) triggers want a degree of over travel.

When you press a trigger you are applying rearward force on the rifle. Applying that force to the trigger results in the trigger moving and absorbing the force exerted. Once enough force is applied, the trigger breaks and the rifle fires. You did not stop applying the force necessary for the trigger to break you continued to applying rearward force the change is the trigger broke and the rifle fired. With no over travel that temporary moment between the trigger break and the rifle firing resulted in you pulling the rifle towards you disrupting the rifles position.

Now lets be practical shooting bench rest where the objective is to shoot the smallest group is different then hunting, or PRS or F class but so is the trigger weight. the heavier the trigger pull the greater the affect. But unlike BR, our sports have much larger targets in PRS the vast majority of targets are at least 1 3/4moa , f class is 1/2moa centre.

Triggers with no over travel could affect the rifles accuracy, but are more likely in conjunction with shooting position and shooter to compound the affects of the shots accuracy.

All the best
    Trevor

Both my Trigger Tech Diamonds have some overtravel, in my opinion not too little and not too much. I roughly measure it at between 20 to 30 thou with a pair of calipers. This is on two different Bighorn TL3 actions.

I have the original triggertech, it was a nice upgrade from the tuned R700 trigger it replaced

Just ordered my TT Diamond yesterday, can't wait to see what all the buzz is about. Should be here in a few days, but it's gonna have to camp out and wait for my Nucleus to come in..

Reactions: stereo.pete
    What is the difference between the standard trigger, special, and diamond? other than the fact you can go lighter. I like my triggers around 2lbs pull wight so seems like the standard one would work. Is there anything different other then the pull adjustability?

I just got off the phone with Trigger Tech sales, checking on my order (flat shoe Diamond ordered 19FEB). The rep told me that they're a little further behind schedule than they were hoping to be, but that I should be able to expect it within the next two weeks.

Last edited:
    Ordered 1/20. Received 4/16... 2 Flat Shoe Diamonds. I am undecided if I like them yet. I really like the smoothness of a Jewell/Bix type feel so the almost glass like break is different to me. I'm sure I can learn to like it.

I just got off the phone with Trigger Tech sales, checking on my order (flat shoe Diamond ordered 19FEB). The rep told me that they're a little further behind scheduled than they were hoping to be, but that I should be able to expect it within the next two weeks.
    Ordered 2/1, just received shipping notification for a flat-shoe diamond.

As everything is personal preference I’ll give my opinion and this may stir the pot.

I really did not like the TT diamond.

In fact I sold it ( on this forum ) the same day I tried it just dry firing. Felt like a glorified Jewell. I tried it in my impact action and defiance deviant. I am comparing this to my Bix ‘n Andy benchrest triggers (I’m not sponsored by anyone except my chase VISA) which I absolutely love and similar to what many top shooters have said, I have not had a single failure shooting in the Nevada desert, the moon dust of Utah (where my friends AI axmc trigger locked up midstage on him but worked after squirting it with lubricant... I’m an AI fan so I don’t take this lightly), and the splashing rain and mud getting into my action In an Idaho match.

The inability to adjust the sear in the TT made the trigger feel heavy even though I had it set at 7 oz, there was just too much sear engagement and even though the Lyman electronic pull gauge kept telling me 7oz it felt like 14 oz. when I actually dry fired it... again just my opinion.

I give it to TT though using my electronic pull gauge it is ever so slightly more consistent of a pull compared to my BnA. I tested 10 pulls at the same point on the trigger too (which really does matter). Don’t get me wrong they are excellent triggers no doubt about it... however I’m sticking to Bix ‘n Andy and look forward to the new tacsport pro which is completely sealed... while not bulletproof (nothing that is made isn’t meant to be broken eventually) i feel it will help to reduce failure rates.

I totally anticipate my BnA trigger to fail, it’s being prepared for it that matters... Bc they will all fail eventually.

Just received my diamond today, now if I could only have my Nucleus to try it out in, I'd be in business.

Reactions: stereo.pete
    ...made the trigger feel heavy even though I had it set at 7 oz, there was just too much sear engagement and even though the Lyman electronic pull gauge kept telling me 7oz it felt like 14 oz. when I actually dry fired it... again just my opinion.

When you say too much sear engagement, can you describe what you mean? Usually when I think of adjusting sear engagement I think of adding or taking out creep.

Agree that there's much more of a solid wall feel... I think due to lack of creep.

Hey Sheldon, best way I can describe it is if one has ever adjusted the sear engagement on a jewel or bix, and then your trigger pull weight and it felt really good, and then purposely adjust to give more sear engagement you can just feel the difference between when the sear engagement is just right and when it’s just too much. Although it does translate to trigger pull weight (in the above mentioned triggers) along with the trigger pull adjustment screw ( I do realize every triggers internals are designed differently and what I just said doesn’t apply to all triggers), my perceived pull with the TT just felt heavy as if there was too much sear engagement despite the trigger gauge telling me otherwise. I must have done at least a couple of hundred dry fires going back and forth between the two triggers after setting them to the same weight. But to me the TT just always had a perceived heaviness.

I totally get what your saying though the TT has a definitive wall before breaking while the bix the Wall is there but it’s not as noticeable and my suspicion is the design of the internals (bix having the ball bearings) causes the difference in feel as their internals are very different. That difference is likely what I was feeling between the two.

Reactions: Sheldon N
    I have a Standard, Special, and now also a Diamond. They're bar none the best single stage trigger that i've ever felt. There is no take up, no play, nothing. All of their triggers are like a glass wall with a very prominent stop and a break with little to no over travel which i love. The other great thing about TT is...they work. I've never seen one go down, i'm sure there are some but to my knowledge their reputation is pretty well established in the competition circuit where reliability is constantly tested in various conditions.

Triggers that i have used include Timney CE single & 2-stage, BnA TacSport 2-stage, Huber 2-stage, and a CG 2-stage. I'm a 2-stage guy but i have yet to find one i truly liked in a bolt platform, so i'm going back to single.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
    my perceived pull with the TT just felt heavy as if there was too much sear engagement despite the trigger gauge telling me otherwise.

Thanks for the reply, I can understand what you are describing with the feel.

As so "too much" sear engagement, I think from a technical perspective sear engagement on a conventional trigger works the other way around. The sear is made up of two surfaces that slide against each other when the trigger is pulled and at the break point one surface slides off the edge of the other and allows the hammer to fall. When you have more sear engagement in a trigger that usually means more creep because the two surfaces have farther to slide against each other. When you decease sear engagement there is less creep but you get closer to that danger point where the sear wont engage at all or will fire if you slam the bolt closed too fast. For me when adjusting my Timney it was that tradeoff between safe function and less creep,

Perhaps the thing with the TT is that many people said they wanted "less creep, less creep" but once they tried a trigger that fully achieved it, they realized the feel was not to their liking.

Reactions: Renomd
    I have a Standard, Special, and now also a Diamond. They're bar none the best single stage trigger that i've ever felt. There is no take up, no play, nothing. All of their triggers are like a glass wall with a very prominent stop and a break with little to no over travel which i love. The other great thing about TT is...they work. I've never seen one go down, i'm sure there are some but to my knowledge their reputation is pretty well established in the competition circuit where reliability is constantly tested in various conditions.

Triggers that i have used include Timney CE single & 2-stage, BnA TacSport 2-stage, Huber 2-stage, and a CG 2-stage. I'm a 2-stage guy but i have yet to find one i truly liked in a bolt platform, so i'm going back to single.

Is there a difference between the special and the diamond other that the pull weight? Does the diamond feel any better as far as break or anything notable? I bought the special flat for my custom rifle, hoping I made the correct choice.

Is there a difference between the special and the diamond other that the pull weight? Does the diamond feel any better as far as break or anything notable? I bought the special flat for my custom rifle, hoping I made the correct choice.

I haven't put it in my rifle yet but IIRC i pulled a friend's it's just lower weight to my knowledge. What action do you have? It's to note that the special only goes down to 1.5lbs on my TL3 and the standard only goes to 2.5lbs.

I haven't put it in my rifle yet but IIRC i pulled a friend's it's just lower weight to my knowledge. What action do you have? It's to note that the special only goes down to 1.5lbs on my TL3 and the standard only goes to 2.5lbs.
    I have the Kelbly Atlas. The special is advertised to go down to 1 lbs, were you not able to achieve that out of yours?

I have the Kelbly Atlas. The special is advertised to go down to 1 lbs, were you not able to achieve that out of yours?

Not on my Bighorns i wasn't. Only got to 1.5lbs on the special and 2.5lbs on the standard. Which i told TT about and they confirmed the firing pin spring is heavier on the TL3 and that was the cause.

I have no idea how they work on the atlas. I got the Diamond for my Tempest in the event i couldn't get the special down to 1lb.