• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trijicon RMR has left the chat

Bcamos

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2012
Texas
This is exciting, it's not something you see every day! No abuse or anything, just shooting.

I noticed my hits were landing extremely low at 7yds while doing some drills. I tried to adjust it up to see what would happen and when I looked at the dot again, it was huge and fuzzy. I decided to mess with it later and use this opportunity to run my drills with irons. 3 rounds in and the glass launched downrange. To be fair, this was actually kind of nice because using the ironsights was much easier with the dirty glass and giant red fuzzball out of the way :ROFLMAO:

Called Trijicon and they were just as surprised as I was. CS said that self-removing glass isn't a very common occurrence and it usually comes with some sort of trauma or abuse to the optic. To me, it looks like the glue never adhered to the metal housing as it all broke off extremely clean and there's very little glue stuck to the housing. They've sent me a prepaid label and it'll be going back today.

IMG_5914.jpeg

IMG_5910.jpeg

67775C43-F45F-4263-90FC-5788D01F6622.jpeg

IMG_5943.jpeg

IMG_5944.jpeg

D5CE4A2A-AC9E-4371-8719-2420B4693B8E.jpeg

62FB45B8-6C20-48E9-A9ED-F82FB3623B4E.jpeg

Last edited:
How did you do that !

When did you buy round count etc ?
Added some explanation in the OP. I didn't buy this new, but the previous owner was just as surprised as he said it never suffered any abuse on his part. According to Trijicon, the serial comes back with a build date of 2017 so it's held up for quite some time.

You obviously don't know who you're dealing with.

When he was a child his parents gave him foot long piece of 2" round stock to play with, and he broke it in minutes.

If he gets in your truck all the warning lights will start flashing, and the engine will catch on fire.

He once looked at a front loader wrong and all the tires simultaneously went flat.

He only pretends to be a farmer. His real source of income is as a product tester for "unbreakable" products. He has a 100% destruction record from normal use, and apparently this Midastructive touch is hereditary.

You obviously don't know who you're dealing with.

When he was a child his parents gave him foot long piece of 2" round stock to play with, and he broke it in minutes.

If he gets in your truck all the warning lights will start flashing, and the engine will catch on fire.

He once looked at a front loader wrong and all the tires simultaneously went flat.

He only pretends to be a farmer. His real source of income is as a product tester for "unbreakable" products. He has a 100% destruction record from normal use, and apparently this Midastructive touch is hereditary.
My parents did nickname me Destructicon as a kid.

I bought 2 rmr type 2 from different sources. When the type 2 we’re first released.
Both lost the lense over the emitter almost immediately. Creating a massive fuzzy dot. Both were sent in for repair and have been trouble free ever since.

Reactions: Bcamos
I had a SRO go down on me after three solid seasons of USPSA shooting. Trijicon sent me a RMA and had it back to me within 4-5 weeks (including shipping time). Its been problem free since then, as have my other red dots (knock on wood).

Fact is, things break from time to time. Sometimes it’s a manufacturing issue at the factory, other times its abuse by the end user. But more often than not, I think over time things just wear out or break especially under regular use. Thinking back to when I shot a lot of iron sighted 1911/2011’s in USPSA (15-20K rnds per year) I broke multiple front sights, a rear Bomar sight (hinge pin broke in half), the right side of an ambi thumb safety, cracked my STI polymer grip (still worked but it still developed a crack), and a slide stop. Hence for all my comp guns I had two, one for matches one for practice and I always brought both when I traveled to major matches. Plus a parts kit.

Now that red dots are more common, I have two guns setup identical for Carry Optics and several others that share the same RMR/SRO/HS footprint so worst case scenario I can always steal a red dot off another gun if my primary or backup goes T-U right before a big match. Fortunately in the last six years I’ve only had one red dot go south.

Reactions: Gustav7 and BurtG
This post will console poors like myself for many years to come, if/when their Holosun suffers a similar fate or worse.
Been using my "poors" holosun on my POF5 for about a year now. Maybe 1500rds on it. No issues so far.

Rich

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Hope they take care of you. Had them fix 1 for me that simply stopped. Another stopped as well but not as lucky. The other they told me they don't warranty the electronics... lol alright then.

Both are the adjustable ones.

Will confess have never seen the glass. Appreciate the photos!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Bcamos and BurtG
Wow, never have seen a trijicon do that. I have seen a couple holosuns come apart but never an rmr. Hell, I dropped one 90ft out a blackhawk onto hardpack dirt and it didnt break. Granted the rifle landed on its side but still

• Wow
Reactions: BurtG and Bcamos
It's because it was on a 1911.

Everyone time you fire it it pushes you back three feet.

Only so much you can expect a mere RMR to handle.

Or your Deersniper.
The disrespect! This is a Staccato, sir! It doesn't have recoil, just gentle little reciprocations.

I really wish I knew who Deersniper is so I could be in on this joke :ROFLMAO:

Hope they take care of you. Had them fix 1 for me that simply stopped. Another stopped as well but not as lucky. The other they told me they don't warranty the electronics... lol alright then.

Both are the adjustable ones.

Will confess have never seen the glass. Appreciate the photos!
Yeah I saw that when I was looking at their warranty page on their website. The electronics are only warrantied for so long. I thought that was odd coming from Trijicon, especially since they have optics that are lasting WELL beyond that time frame. Their wording also states specifically "for the original owner".

The lady at CS asked me when and where I purchased it from. I stumbled a bit (because I'm not the original owner and I have no idea where it was bought) and she probably knew I was about to lie to her so cut me off and said "Actually, that doesn't matter. What's your return address?"

Reactions: BurtG
Give a Marine 2 ball bearings and lock him in a round room overnight, he'll break one and lose the other.

• Haha
Reactions: Fig
The disrespect! This is a Staccato, sir! It doesn't have recoil, just gentle little reciprocations.

I really wish I knew who Deersniper is so I could be in on this joke :ROFLMAO:
Deersniper was a true gentleman and will be dearly missed. Gone forever, I fear. I'm sure we'll never never ever have such a man of his caliber on this site again.

Deersniper was a true gentleman and will be dearly missed. Gone forever, I fear. I'm sure we'll never never ever have such a man of his caliber on this site again.
Should have never agreed to let that chick peg him.

Sometimes you break stuff, some times you get broke.

Turn in your man-card solider. SMDH you don’t know this.

Your Trijicon’s battery was sputtering and it knew it was near-death in a no-win situation at the 11th hr on top of Macho Grande so at its imaginary attacker it launched a downrange Vaporizer Leg-Lock & Monkey Grabs Peaches combo.

It gave its life for you.

Simple brah.

And this is how you repay it?

🪦

Last edited:
  • Haha
Turn in your man-card solider. SMDH you don’t know this.

Your Trijicon’s battery was sputtering and it knew it was near-death in a no-win situation at the 11th hr on top of Macho Grande so at its imaginary attacker it launched a downrange Vaporizer Leg-Lock & Monkey Grabs Peaches combo.

It gave its life for you.

Simple brah.

And this is how you repay it?

🪦
And in return I sent it in to Trijicon without a single identifying document other than my return address 🫣

Completely forgot to put their RMA barcode on the outside of the box or the RMA auth form on the inside 🤣

I called them this morning and the guy said “yeah yours missing the glass will be pretty obvious”

as cool as RDS's are on pistols, i never thought it was a good idea to have them on a reciprocating mass. its stuff like this and my buddy's romeo that shattered on impact.... that keeps me in irons.

trijicon sure is good about repairs though. you should have it back in a month max.
Yep. I think people underestimate how hard it is to design and build an optic that takes that kind of abuse and doesn't fail. From what I have seen the rmr is by far the most durable and even they shit the bed.

How do you build something small enough that it's not a brick to carry while being reliable and durable enough to take that kind of reciprocating mass.

If you run a dot on a pistol, expect them to fail eventually.

They are people with RMR’s running on slides without issues. It’s actually pretty damn rare for them to fail. This is the first time I have seen this happen for sure.

They are people with RMR’s running on slides without issues. It’s actually pretty damn rare for them to fail. This is the first time I have seen this happen for sure.
First time you see is not a qualifier. Lack of experience .

The rmr type 2 was invented becuase sildes were killing rmrs. They had to be hardened. And they still can and do fail like anything else attached to a pistol slide.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I had this happen to me with an rmr mounted on a Glock. Glass flew out. Sent it in to trijicon and got it shipped back to me with a note that said this is not a genuine trijicon product. Super cool. Moral of the story be careful buying used rmr’s as they may not be legit.

Edit: and I dont necessarily think the sellers may know that they have a fake rmr. My fake rmr was identical to a real one. It even held zero for a while, like 50-100 rounds. I think I still have some pictures of it, let me look.

Last edited:
I had this happen to me with an rmr mounted on a Glock. Glass flew out. Sent it in to trijicon and got it shipped back to me with a note that said this is not a genuine trijicon product. Super cool. Moral of the story be careful buying used rmr’s as they may not be legit.

Edit: and I dont necessarily think the sellers may know that they have a fake rmr. My fake rmr was identical to a real one. It even held zero for a while, like 50-100 rounds. I think I still have some pictures of it, let me look.
Yeah I was absolutely worried about that. There were a few things that threw me off (like crooked laser etching) but then I looked at my other RMR that I know for a fact is real and I found crooked etchings on it too, so that was a relief lol.

Triji emailed yesterday confirming that it's real and covered under warranty so all of that anxiety has moved on.

Ask if they will give you a sweet deal on the new top battery version.
To circle back on this, CS said that the RCR and HD are unfortunately "locked" to orders only at the moment (sounds like they're just trying to meet demand before handing them out as upgrades) but it would be likely for me to pay the difference for a new RM06. He did stress that he's not able to make that call, but it's not outside the realm of possibility and he made a note in my ticket stating that I'd like to take that option if available.

Edit: They got back to me. It's being repaired rather than replaced. So no upgrade for me. Womp womp.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: pmclaine
...Fact is, things break from time to time...
This. I have seen or had dozens of irons go bad. Just fixed one on a (milsurp) rifle for a friend last week. The S&W entry was eliminated from the JSAAP competition (from whence we got the M9) because the front sight fell off, repeatedly. Not to mention the many times I've gotten mud or snow or ice in the irons (for rifles mostly) that was hard to clear out in the field when it is time to take the shot.

If anything I am starting to think quality optics are more reliable and available than irons.

Reactions: BurtG and Gustav7
Andddddd another check in the box why I’ll never put a red dot on my pistols

#ironsightlife

Reactions: gigamortis
My son has a G19 "Roland Special" and has killed two Trijicons and a Holosun.

I'm not against red dots on a pistol, just think they need a little more engineering to make them last.

• Wow
Reactions: BurtG