• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trim to mistake

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
Reloading for 223 rem, 75 eldms, starline brass.

Got a giraud tri way. Nice little tool. Adjusted the tool for a “trim too” length of 1.750” for 223. A piece of brass shaving escaped my eye and got stuck in the insert, and I trimmed about 100 cases of my 300 cases to minimum spec of 1.740”. Would you recommend trimming them all to 1.740” or reset the tool to 1.750 for the remaining 200 cases? I’d prefer to not have to sort brass by length considering it’s all new.

For those following a few of my posts previously, a mandrel solved my es/sd problems.

Chamber an empty case and with a borescope, look where the case mouth lines up with the chamber wall. I will just say right now, you probably got .040 to go before you hit it. All this fucken obsession with trim length and stupid expensive tools. You'd probably get loose primer pockets before that mouth hit the chamber wall.

Reactions: Schütze
I’d trim to same length also. Won’t hurt you to be a little shorter, could hurt you to chamber a long case when you’ve built up a carbon ring at short-case length.

But I also wouldn’t stress it either way, I saw over 0.010” variation when I trimmed my cases a month ago after five firings.

Either way will work. You may need to adjust load slightly for the shorter length. The issue will be keeping the brass segregated it you don't trim all. I have checked a lot of Federal ammunition and the cases were in the 1.743" range unfired.