• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trimble Nomad vs Recon Ballistic Computers

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Im looking at these field computers to run ballistic software. Does anybody have experience with the Recon? Would it offer the same capabilities as the Nomad in terms of running ballistics software and syncing with a Kestrel? I dont see an option available for SD slots on the Recon. does anybody know if its possible to add that?

What im looking to do is sync a kestrel 4500 to the Field Firing Solutions Delta 3 software or the Patagonia Ballistics software. The Recon computer is a bit smaller and lighter than the Nomad. I think its cheaper too.

It looks like my options are to run the FFS Delta 3 software on the Nomad via SD slot, or run the Patagonia software on the Recon via internal memory.

Do both the Patagonia and Delta 3 software automatically pull info from the Kestrel 4500?

Re: Trimble Nomad vs Recon Ballistic Computers

recon is 400 mhz.... nomad 800..... check on lex talus website the better configuration to run FFS.

How is the GPS function on these two units? Is it sufficient for precise navigation? Or would I be better off buying a stand alone GPS like a Garmin Rhino?

Instead of buying seperate ballistic calculator and GPS, id rather get one integrated unit

You'll need the Nomad, as the Recon does not have an SD card slot for FFS. The GPS is excellent, and syncs with FFS perfectly. If you get the BT enabled unit, the Kestrel with sync as well. The Nomad has BackCountry Navigator installed, you just need to license it, that will give you full mapping with the GPS as well.

Does the 800LC have the SD card slot? The trimble website is kind of confusing. The 800LC has the SD card slot, GPS antenna,wireless connectivity, and bluetooth? And i cant seem to find one in green, but I know they exist

Just scored a Nomad900 with gps, blue tooth, wwan, cell phone, camera, barcode reader, sd slot, extra batt etc...sweet setup. No regretes, well made, good kit.

Im not looking for all that. Im really only looking for Bluetooth, GPS, SD Slot, wireless LAN connectivity, and a decent camera. I could even get away without the camera. What is the minimum Nomad I need for that? Is it the 800LC? Or do I have to step up the 900

The 800LC has all you need, it's just the older model. The big feature of the newer 900 is the better GPS, with memoery for quicker startup times.

Is the user interface on these programs easy to navigate, and are they easy to setup and use? Im worried about getting the Kestrel to link with the Nomad and shooting programs. Is setting all of that up pretty easy? And do the programs pull info from the kestrel continuously?

yes pretty easy.....kestrel send info continuosly or with different time interval... you can choose the rate

It is easy, no problem.

Do you guys have a recommended vendor for the Trimbles? it doesnt seem that too many places sell them.

Ebay

If you are getting FFS, just get it from Blaine as a package, he's a Trimble dealer.

You can get some very good deals on EBay as companies upgrade their units.

I went through this same thing when I wanted to buy one, several members here helped answer questions as I was also confused by trimbles site. L= gps, C= camera.

I ended up with an 800, one additional thing to add is that you want a numeric keypad as it will make for easier data entry. I think this is standard on the 900's but an option on the 800. I have really liked mine and am pretty blown away at how much FFS can do.

I went through this same thing when I wanted to buy one, several members here helped answer questions as I was also confused by trimbles site. L= gps, C= camera.

I ended up with an 800, one additional thing to add is that you want a numeric keypad as it will make for easier data entry. I think this is standard on the 900's but an option on the 800. I have really liked mine and am pretty blown away at how much FFS can do.

Thanks Mcmillanman, I was wondering what the L, C, and LC meant.

They're just model designations. Realistically you don't need the camera at all. I know I don't even use it. The GPS is excellent, especially when utilizing FFP's, and more than adequate for my needs. I use the GPS both within the program as well as marking shooting positions, as well as game down positions as proof for G&F if they come knocking.

You can use FFS on a PDA w/o an SD card, but it takes a little under-the-table doing, and is NOT supported by the manufacturer at all. Also, most of the ones without card readers generally suck when it comes to the processing power necessary to do the math.

The bonus with the Nomad is that everything syncs easily, quickly, and without hassle. The system really shines with a PLRF "C" and bluetooth Kestrel. No kidding it's point, click, and first round hit. Way too expensive for most people, but so satisfying when you're can hit one button on the PLRF cable and it gives you EVERYTHING (literally) required to make any shot anywhere on earth, and repeatedly as well.

One thing that isn't mentioned enough, is the ability to do prep work with it beforehand, not only for yourself but for others. For instance, I can use it to make range cards for my hunting buddies based on things outside typical shooting conditions. As an example, they don't spend a lot of time ranging from one ridge to another, but I spent a bit of time ranging various features of a particular hunting spot. I was able to take each shooters load data, throw it into FFS on my Nomad the prior evening, and print out rough dope cards with "Lion King Tree xxx yards hold xxx," "Y-Cut bottom XXX yards hold XXX," "Y-Cut top XXX yards hold XXX," "Far hill right XXX yards hold XXX for north, XXX hold for south" for each individual shooter. The ability to do that for multiple shooters with multiple loads in such a short amount of time is very beneficial from a practical standpoint. You can even use posted values from manufacturer websites to get close enough for most hunting buddies.

In my experience the Nomad is overpriced and bulky, I went with the best possible combo : Patagonia's and the Trimble JUNO 3B. Perfect in every department for my needs. And I can do all sorts of charts, most especially the DA charts in advance running the Desktop version of Coldbore, also all data syncs between the PDA and the PC in a breeze. So, I managed to get a great solution at a moderate price tag.