• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod and saddle

leprechaun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2007
Looking for ideas on how to make a cheap (cost wise)saddle rest that can mount to either a store bought camera tripod or a speaker tripod that has a post in the middle to mount the rest on

Not looking to buy a commercially made unit

I want to use this for sniper work and long range hunting so ill be using a mc m a4 stick and a rem sps factory stock with it

Thanks

You could get a6-8" piece of 1/4x2" aluminum flat stock and bend the ends up. Drill the center and tap it for the quick connect camera base. Or use half of a 4" PVC pipe. Get a threaded T-nut at Lowe's, drill a hole for the t-nut and epoxy it in. I used isomat to pad it.

PVC makes a cheap and affective saddle. I will say this the tripod head is the most important part for stability in my opinion.

IMAG0382.jpg

Here's mine holding my 18lb boomstick

Piece of box 4"box channel. Plasma cut down into the u shape. Some steel guide pins, couple springs, threaded rod, podloc lookin handle off a desk. Some dense padding. About it. Elbow grease and beer

Any way I could get some detailed pictures of that saddle?

Mine isnt fancy but I just took a piece of 3-4" abs pipe coupler (the black plastic pipe) split it in half with a dremel and cut out a space for a nut that would thread onto my tripod. I epoxied the nut into the hole cut for it then covered the entire thing in foam and duct tape. It works quite well as a rest although it doesnt clamp the rifle in place.

Go to lowes or home depot and get a wooden post bracket for privacy fences, they are already square shaped and three sided with a hole in the bottom side. Put you tripod mount post thru the hole an tighten a nut down on it. Cut iso mat and tape into the insides and boom, tripod saddle, can bend sides in and out to fit stock and don't have to cut anything other than ISO mat.

I made one from PVC pipe and a 1/4-20x3/8"T Nut. It doesn't hold the rifle in place unattended but works awesome and cost less than $30 including the tripod.

Like was said earlier the tripod head is the most important part. The ball head on the slik I have with my prs is better than any cheap plastic pan head.

Thought I would give it a try... I had a broken tripod laying around, so I headed to the hardware store to pick up a 4" to 1.5" PVC T and a 1.5" blind cap for about $5.00. I just halved the pipe with a sawzall. Then I used the QD camera mount from the tripod and a spare bolt/nut to make a removable saddle. A couple layers of my daughters self adhesive foam craft crap and Voila! I wanted to practice spraying some Krylon so a quick base coat and some pine needle overspray to finish it off. Now it can sit in the basement with the rest of my junk.
And my wife wonders why I never get chores done.....

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b594/georgecarpenter/th_photo3_zpsd752fec1.jpg

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b594/georgecarpenter/th_photo2_zps728f2385.jpg

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b594/georgecarpenter/th_photo4_zps2f7a4273.jpg

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b594/georgecarpenter/th_photo1_zpsf22438d3.jpg

Thought I would give it a try... I had a broken tripod laying around, so I headed to the hardware store to pick up a 4" to 1.5" PVC T and a 1.5" blind cap for about $5.00. I just halved the pipe with a sawzall. Then I used the QD camera mount from the tripod and a spare bolt/nut to make a removable saddle. A couple layers of my daughters self adhesive foam craft crap and Voila! I wanted to practice spraying some Krylon so a quick base coat and some pine needle overspray to finish it off. Now it can sit in the basement with the rest of my junk.
And my wife wonders why I never get chores done.....

th_photo3_zpsd752fec1.jpg

th_photo2_zps728f2385.jpg

th_photo4_zps2f7a4273.jpg

th_photo1_zpsf22438d3.jpg

FTFY

Use the tags
Code:
[img*]insertLINKhere.jpg[/img]

without the *

Thank you for fixing that. I have no idea what an image code is, but I will use the advanced search button and do some more learning. Or just stop posting pictures. Whichever comes first.

Great idea. Looks pretty solid.
Funny though, not worried about the digits but worried about the fumes. LOL

ok guys, i had no idea so many would be interested in my saddle. i am going to take some close ups of it and its workings and post it for you guys tonight...stand by

Nice. I especially like the springs. Keeps you from fighting it or wanting a third hand.

20130920_215434_zpsaec6d066.jpg
was at the metals shop today and they had a pile of these in the scrap. Now I need to work on the clamp and center bolt