• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod help

I think you’re safe getting the Innorel. As we’ve said we suspect you’ll find the leveling head with the Inorrel will be sufficient for your stated needs. As Lowlight said, ball heads and even the Anvil from RRS raise the center of gravity which lends to making everything more unstable. The main reason for wanting a ball head or anvil is for more articulation. Articulation needed for shooting at steep angles. Doesn’t sound like that’s what you need.
I think you should make the jump and get shooting!

This is what I'm going to do. Ordering today! Thanks to all for all of the help.

Reactions: mrtoyz
So do you guys feel like the ball head makes a bigger difference or the tripod itself? When looking at Tripods I tend to focus on Carbon Fiber and Weight capacity...is there something else that sets one tripod apart from another? Or does a RRS tripod have something that another one doesn't outside of these two characteristics?

I think it's the whole system of both the tripod and the ballhead. The RRS is great not just because it's lightweight, but because the carbon fiber is extremely stiff, which translates into stability. The ball head is also just as important, since it's what holds the rifle in place.

The PIG0311 tripod, which is based on a SLIK tripod, definitely flexes in the legs, whether collapsed or extended. Even adding weight or the tripod strap doesn't get close to the stability provided by the RRS setup.

I think it's the whole system of both the tripod and the ballhead. The RRS is great not just because it's lightweight, but because the carbon fiber is extremely stiff, which translates into stability. The ball head is also just as important, since it's what holds the rifle in place.

The PIG0311 tripod, which is based on a SLIK tripod, definitely flexes in the legs, whether collapsed or extended. Even adding weight or the tripod strap doesn't get close to the stability provided by the RRS setup.

The SLIK tripod is what turned me off to that whole setup. Going to go with Innorel...Carbon fiber legs and 88 lb weight capacity.

That would be cool but I'm not sure it's a necessity for my hunting purposes....especially for price difference.

I'm in the same situation as you. As much as I would love to have RRS it's out of my price range, I can't justify the expenditure especially since I don't use a tripod regularly, and for that amount of money I'd be buying other higher priority cool things I have my eye on.

Hunting?

I find it disturbing that so many hunters seem to be of the viewpoint that you do not need accuracy for hunting. While things the RRS and similar top end tripods have changed the game for match use, they have done even more for hunters.

I can take my relatively light RRS packing on an Elk hunt or shoot a hog. It isn't much heavier than a lightweight cheap tripod people use to glass for animals and eliminates the need for a bipod, making the net weight the same or less while being a superior product. It extends the range for a clean shot and provides shooting in locations where prone would not be possible.

Putting some hunting into perspective, out of state tags for ELK, and many other animals will push your average hunting trip as a complete package into the thousands of $$. Sure, maybe you'll never hunt outside your state, never take a long-range shot, perhaps never (although doubtful) find yourself in a situation where brush and grasses rule out a bag or bipod. If you are genuinely going to hunt, unless you only shoot close range, you should be compelled to use the better product.

My tripod has a bunch of Pigs and a handful of Elk all down with one shot, some incredibly e far. It is one of the few pieces of gear I am more than happy I spent the money I did on my RRS setups.

Just my 2 cents..

Here is a thread on the heads and an option to get good performance mix and matching..

Last edited:
Reactions: jda2631 and RRW
Spend more $ on the head / leveling base.

The Innorel RT-90C is great for its price - $300. Throw on an Anvil-30 or a TA-2U-LB for another $300-$400 gets you setup for $700.

Then later on when you want to invest in RRS legs, you can, and you still have the RRS head. From a stability point of view, the Innorel RT-90C is sturdy and tank built. It weighs 2lbs more than a RRS setup.
Exactly this. I hate myself for buying a Chinese Amazon knockoff, but it works well and is 1/3 the price of a RRS. It is a little heaver, but I'm not lugging it up a mountain hunting goats or anything.

Take this for what it is worth, but I am a complete tripod convert for hunting. I don't carry a bipod anymore, and am now shooting groups and such off a tripod at the range. (Practice like you hunt). The tripod is the single best piece of kit after Rangefinder/DOPE/ Kestrel/Garmin 701.

I saw the videos and played the games with tripods. I had the Pig tripod, a Feisol aluminum with leveling base, and now using the Innorel 80 with leveling base and Leofoto low profile ball head. Have had various cheap Amazon ball heads. I shot off all of them. They are all workable. But, they have limitations. And, the videos out there don't even show much of how a tripod can be used.

I first was exposed to RRS and the Anvil 30 at a local match. I thought, hmmm, really nice, but my stuff is just about as good. No need to spend the money. I still didn't get it, and didn't have enough imagination.

But, then I went and shot with an experienced tripod shooter--a mil guy, shot with the AMU, was then teaching a sniper course, and has trained with the best. Yeah, take that for what its worth, too, but I was exposed to a different world.

Using his RRS and RRS ballhead and learning how to use a tripod converted me to using a tripod 100%.

I mainly got into long range to hunt. I took a buck in AK at 575 yards on the side of a mountain shooting off my tripod. I was as solid as prone. And, there was no way for me to get a prone shot.

Over the last few months, I have practiced in the field on hikes in the mountains between 500 and 600 yards. I wanted to test myself and my gear in field conditions. I am shooting sub moa off my Innorel in supported tripod positions, but it is NOT close to the quality of the RRS. I really need a better tripod for unsupoorted positions.

After I proved to myself the value of a tripod, I just went through gear and safe and sold what I don't use to afford the Anvil 30 and tripod. I am done having lots of "fun" toys. I want the best gear.

My Anvil 30 is in the mail from Mile High and I got a used Fiesol off the Hide until I decide what size RRS tripod to get. I think another six months or so until I get the feel for whether I need one tall enough I can glass from too (I am 6'2"). For shooting, I could get by with a regular height.

You can probably get by with the Innorel 90 or 80, like me. But, the tripod is absolutely an essential peice of kit in my mind, and it needs to find itself into more kits. If you use it to its potential, a RRS tripod is absolutley worth it.

I think its ok to prioritize and start with something less, but if you are like me, you will want a RRS eventually.

The picture is of 5 shot group. It was shot in a very stable position, locked into the tripod head and a bag on the rear leg like the other pic. That is a picture of my position when I shot my buck at 575.

20200327_084927.jpg
Screenshot_20200420-111143_YouTube.jpg

Hunting?

I find it disturbing that so many hunters seem to be of the viewpoint that you do not need accuracy for hunting. While things the RRS and similar top end tripods have changed the came for match use, they have done even more for hunters.

I can take my relatively light RRS packing on an Elk hunt or shoot a hog. It isn't much heavier than a lightweight cheap tripod people use to glass for animals and eliminates the need for a bipod, making the net weight the same or less while being a superior product. It extends the range for a clean shot and provides shooting in locations where prone would not be possible.

Putting some hunting into perspective, out of state tags for ELK, and many other animals will push your average hunting trip as a complete package into the thousands of $$. Sure, maybe you'll never hunt outside your state, never take a long-range shot, perhaps never (although doubtful) find yourself in a situation where brush and grasses rule out a bag or bipod. If you are genuinely going to hunt, unless you only shoot close range, you should be compelled to use the better product.

My tripod has a bunch of Pigs and a handful of Elk all down with one shot, some incredibly e far. It is one of the few pieces of gear I am more than happy I spent the money I did on my RRS setups.

Just my 2 cents..

Here is a thread on the heads and an option to get good performance mix and matching..

I was busy typing my comment while ypu posted, 100% agree!

Reactions: Diver160651
Take this for what it is worth, but I am a complete tripod convert for hunting. I don't carry a bipod anymore, and am now shooting groups and such off a tripod at the range. (Practice like you hunt). The tripod is the single best piece of kit after Rangefinder/DOPE/ Kestrel/Garmin 701.

I saw the videos and played the games with tripods. I had the Pig tripod, a Feisol aluminum with leveling base, and now using the Innorel 80 with leveling base and Leofoto low profile ball head. Have had various cheap Amazon ball heads. I shot off all of them. They are all workable. But, they have limitations. And, the videos out there don't even show much of how a tripod can be used.

I first was exposed to RRS and the Anvil 30 at a local match. I thought, hmmm, really nice, but my stuff is just about as good. No need to spend the money. I still didn't get it, and didn't have enough imagination.

But, then I went and shot with an experienced tripod shooter--a mil guy, shot with the AMU, was then teaching a sniper course, and has trained with the best. Yeah, take that for what its worth, too, but I was exposed to a different world.

Using his RRS and RRS ballhead and learning how to use a tripod converted me to using a tripod 100%.

I mainly got into long range to hunt. I took a buck in AK at 575 yards on the side of a mountain shooting off my tripod. I was as solid as prone. And, there was no way for me to get a prone shot.

Over the last few months, I have practiced in the field on hikes in the mountains between 500 and 600 yards. I wanted to test myself and my gear in field conditions. I am shooting sub moa off my Innorel in supported tripod positions, but it is NOT close to the quality of the RRS. I really need a better tripod for unsupoorted positions.

After I proved to myself the value of a tripod, I just went through gear and safe and sold what I don't use to afford the Anvil 30 and tripod. I am done having lots of "fun" toys. I want the best gear.

My Anvil 30 is in the mail from Mile High and I got a used Fiesol off the Hide until I decide what size RRS tripod to get. I think another six months or so until I get the feel for whether I need one tall enough I can glass from too (I am 6'2"). For shooting, I could get by with a regular height.

You can probably get by with the Innorel 90 or 80, like me. But, the tripod is absolutely an essential peice of kit in my mind, and it needs to find itself into more kits. If you use it to its potential, a RRS tripod is absolutley worth it.

I think its ok to prioritize and start with something less, but if you are like me, you will want a RRS eventually.

The picture is of 5 shot group. It was shot in a very stable position, locked into the tripod head and a bag on the rear leg like the other pic. That is a picture of my position when I shot my buck at 575.

View attachment 7303914View attachment 7303926

Nice post

BTW - for thoughs interested in tripod shooting or even maybe doing a Field match with a tripod:

We put on a 1-day UKD TEAM MATCH, and while it is a match, much of the positions at the FFP I set are inspired by hunting. Tall grass or steep slopes eliminate the ability for a bipod to work. Time limits and problem-solving make the adrenaline a bit more like hunting than people realize. The match is 95% tripod based; targets are actually bigger past 400 yards than your "pie plate" that some people quote is all the accuracy you need for hunting.

People quickly learn how much of a handicap the cheap Chinese tripods that they thought "are good enough for hunting", are and in turn, disappointment. The catch is, the angles, distances, and unexpected wind angles are no different than you'll often find hunting. So, are the cheap tripods really good enough for hunting?

Later this week, in the thread below, I will start sharing more information about the stage designs, the idea we had in mind for the shooter's approach and well as tips and tricks. I'll probably drop a new topic every other week; some will be how best to deploy a tripod to lower your chances of visual issues as well as speed to discussing a new stage design for the 2020 November match.

Ideally, I am trying to keep the shooters somewhat involved as we all sit back during the COVID SIP. Hopefully, a few of the guys that shoot of tripods a lot will be able to chime in from time to time. You guys here are more than welcome to drop in. I don't have all the answers, but at least we are trying to help with some that we do.

UKD-Logo.png

I would absolutely LOVE that type of match. PRS is cool, but doesn't get me going like the idea of a field match. I haven't had the chance/desire to make matches outside of local one day. A field match is on the list.

For now, my "range" trips consist of going on a hike and choosing a rock as if it were an UKD stage/hunt so I can practice execution. So far, I haven't found a position I could shoot better than off a tripod. And, I am getting much faster and confident in setting up.

I know I may be repeating myself, but I think it was OP who said he didn't think he would use a tripod much for hunting... give it a real shot.

I really believe what you see on the internet is like the tip of an iceberg for the things a tripod can do for you.

November is prime hunting season, otherwise I would sign up now. I will see what the draw holds.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Have you looked at Field Optics or Vanguard. They are close to RRS and a little less $$$. I have both which now function as tripods for my Longshot camera setup. I bit the bullet and bought the Realy Right Stuff TVC-33 wih the Anvil-30 ballhead. Also bought the BH-55 ballhead. Like they say, cry once.

I got a BOG Deathgrip for my first one. Used it for my 600yd and in shooting just fine. Under $140 shipped on Amazon now. But there are people who will definitely turn their nose up at them. Gotta start somewhere though, and sometimes you can’t afford to go all out

For the money I think the Innorel RT-90C is hard to beat. I use it with this Arca Swiss lever clamp. I couldn’t justify buying RRS gear. This setup works for me and I can get very solid with it. I’m all in for about $325, tripod and clamp.

I also have a Manfrotto 055 and Sunwayfoto DYH-90 panning leveling base and it’s not nearly as stable.

1587621896398.jpeg

For the money I think the Innorel RT-90C is hard to beat. I use it with this Arca Swiss lever clamp. I couldn’t justify buying RRS gear. This setup works for me and I can get very solid with it. I’m all in for about $325, tripod and clamp.

View attachment 7306154

I wouldn't use this clamp or buy it. Whoever is making it is a knockoff manufacturer or seller. You probably aren't going to get what the picture looks like exactly because the pictures are from our website about 6 years ago and we don't have a ballhead named what the listing says it is for.
Buyers beware.

I also have a Manfrotto 055 and Sunwayfoto DYH-90 panning leveling base and it’s not nearly as stable.

View attachment 7306154

Here’s a picture of the clamp and with one installed on the Innorel RT-90C.

Attachments

• 18FFC8F5-D96F-45F1-8EBC-8DB4D0091590.jpeg
    18FFC8F5-D96F-45F1-8EBC-8DB4D0091590.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 8B6197BA-1BC4-465C-A44D-62A3CFFBB5ED.jpeg
    8B6197BA-1BC4-465C-A44D-62A3CFFBB5ED.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 450BC0EA-0958-4816-AD5B-AF3B6EC2B54F.jpeg
    450BC0EA-0958-4816-AD5B-AF3B6EC2B54F.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 85
There are plenty of very solid heavy-duty tripods, including carbon fiber ones, that are good alternatives to RRS. Here is an example: https://www.benrousa.com/products/benro-tma48cxl.aspx . It comes with both a center column and a little stub that replaces the center column and is more stable. It does not come with a ball head of any type.

What you are looking for in a tripod is the overall height, the weight rating which will give you a good idea of how stable it is, and how much it itself weighs. Otherwise, you are paying for brand name.

The difference in price between other brands and RRS can be a factor of two or more, the penalty will be that they might weigh a pound more. I think that RRS products are very overpriced and would only buy one of their products if it were something unavailable elsewhere. I come to this conclusion after decades in photography, even though I only took up PRS type shooting a few years ago.

Get the 34L. I'm 6'1", with bottom 2 legs fully extended, I need about 1/3 of the 3rd section extended for me to stand up straight and look through binoculars mounted to anvil 30. Gives a good bit of room if you need extra leg length for uneven ground or on the side of a hill. Go ahead and spend the extra little bit to get the 34L and not have any issues with height anywhere. You'll be able to use it for everything, and with anvil 30 apex it's small enough to easily attach the tripod to the side of a pack and it not be in the way. With their lever release system, it takes about 6 seconds to remove your spotter/binos and throw a rifle on it.

I'm a buy once cry once kind of guy, I saved up for the 34L + anvil 30 and could not be more impressed with it. RRS customer service is great too, talked to them a few times over the phone and email before getting it. @MPHReallyRightStuff keep up the good work, everything yall are doing is great!! Yall have made me a customer for life.

Reactions: seansmd
I have been running the Two Vets Sporting goods No name tripod for almost 3 years and it works flawlessly. Its 1/3 the price of many of the other units out there and has been able to do everything I have wanted and need with NO issues!!

There is no doubt the 34L covers a lot of bases, but it comes at the expense of added weight and size. If neither of those matter go for the 34L. I wanted to cut down weight and be able to fit it in a carry-on bag, so I got the 34.

Personally if I wanted the added height for hunting on uneven ground I would probably opt for the 24L. Anyway you can't go wrong with RRS.

Last edited:
Get the 34L. I'm 6'1", with bottom 2 legs fully extended, I need about 1/3 of the 3rd section extended for me to stand up straight and look through binoculars mounted to anvil 30. Gives a good bit of room if you need extra leg length for uneven ground or on the side of a hill. Go ahead and spend the extra little bit to get the 34L and not have any issues with height anywhere. You'll be able to use it for everything, and with anvil 30 apex it's small enough to easily attach the tripod to the side of a pack and it not be in the way. With their lever release system, it takes about 6 seconds to remove your spotter/binos and throw a rifle on it.

I'm a buy once cry once kind of guy, I saved up for the 34L + anvil 30 and could not be more impressed with it. RRS customer service is great too, talked to them a few times over the phone and email before getting it. @MPHReallyRightStuff keep up the good work, everything yall are doing is great!! Yall have made me a customer for life.

I got my 34L and anvil from mile high. At 6’2 I’m glad I went with the extra height.

FWIW I am one of those people who runs Leofoto legs with an Anvil 30 on top for matches. It's a capable setup for certain things, but it also has it's downsides. In a typical (non field) match setting those downsides are easier to mask. If my primary purpose in a tripod was hunting and/or shooting field matches, I would hands down go with RRS legs. In that type of setting, the RRS excels where the other falls short. I have been doing a fair amount of hiking with my Leofoto lately and I am constantly reminded what a pig that thing is.

Reactions: Diver160651
FWIW I am one of those people who runs Leofoto legs with an Anvil 30 on top for matches. It's a capable setup for certain things, but it also has it's downsides. In a typical (non field) match setting those downsides are easier to mask. If my primary purpose in a tripod was hunting and/or shooting field matches, I would hands down go with RRS legs. In that type of setting, the RRS excels where the other falls short. I have been doing a fair amount of hiking with my Leofoto lately and I am constantly reminded what a pig that thing is.
Perfectly said.

I am new to PRS but have a photography background like some of you. I have a Gitzo that I used for bird photography and it is comparable to a RRS IMO. If you look in the used market you can find a Gitzo a little cheaper than a used RRS and I do not think you will be disappointed with the quality. Photography forums usually have them for sale from time to time.

Hey guys,

I finally finished the Tripod Tips segment. Added a bunch of photos, and some videos; some of the stuff is not what you typically see taught or demonstrated on the internet. I also tried to show why the tip works, unlike much of the info out there. I am not really "teaching" how to shoot, but rather tips you can use to be more efficient, thus faster or more effective.

Please drop in and leave feedback; post your questions or tips if you have some.