• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trouble with Remington 700

Twisted Jester

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2013
G'town, Ky
A few years ago I purchased a Remington 700 AAC SD. I've shot about 1000 rounds out of it. I use the 168 gr. FGMM. I upgraded the stock to an AICS 1.5. After a lot of practice and time learning from my friends who shoot all the time I could get 3/4 to 1 inch moa depending on my concentration that day. I did stretch it out a couple of times to 500 meters then to 700 and then to 900. At 900 I could hit about 6 out of 10 shots at a 12"x12" plate.. Fast Forward to yesterday the shots were all over the place at 100 meters. 1st shot 3" high 4" left. Next shot 2" low 1" right. Next shot 4"high 3" left. needless to say I didn't change the dope on the rifle because I couldn't get 3 shots in the same damn quadrant to save my life. After about 30 rounds and double checking torque(just in case) I tried again. Same results with about 10 rounds. I haven't cleaned the rifle for about 200 rounds so I thought maybe that was it. So I ran a one wet patch and two passes with a nylon brush then 2 dry patches. Not really that dirty but it was worth a shot. I go again and at least they are in the same quadrant of the target but all over 3" MOA. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm at a loss. I did try a friends rifle while there to make sure I was still using my fundamentals because I was getting a little frustrated. Results with his rifle were good. I shot 2 nice 1/2" groups. Of course his rifle is a lot better than mine and I'm not expecting that from my rifle but damn 3" MOA. A blind man could do that. HELP ME!!!!!!!!

If if it not you shooting it then I'd also put money on the optic. Maybe the mounts came loose? Chassis/stock screws may have worked loose? Both will really mess with your POI.

Details on mount and optic may help.

That Nightforce weighs a lot. There is a chance that your base is sliding a bit under recoil. Have you bedded the base to the action?

I have had this happen before as well. If over time, the base screws give a little your base can start slipping ever so slightly under recoil. I JB weld the Pic Rail to the action. I like using JB weld because doesn't tolerate heat well. If I ever have to remove it, I just heat the base with a small propane torch and after removing the base screws, I use a screw driver and pry it up just a bit and the base falls right off.

I wouldn't try using another scope unless it has a similar weight without at least trying this first.

Ill see this weekend. I checked all the torques and they were good. Only thing I found was the rings were not indexed properly. I hope its not the scope. That thing is not cheap.

It's double grouping, bouncing around in the stock. It needs bedded. Everyone will bitch and moan that a bedding-block stock does not need to be bedded but I do not know of a single one that I have actually seen, and that's a couple dozen, that did not get better. Why does AI bed the AW? (Yes, gluing it in is bedding.)

Check the scope to be sure. Switch scopes with something else. But in the end, sucking it up and scratching up where the action sits on your $1000 stock to put some epoxy in will make the gun shoot about 3/8 moa.

I have a short-action Rem 700 with good stuff. It would not shoot until I bedded the Badger base to the action. In the past, on other guns, I have also fixed loose base screws, loose ring cross-bolts, loose ring screws, ring alignment, and bad scopes. I had a benchrest rifle that I fought every imaginable way, including cases, bullets, seating depth, powder, front rest, rear bag, and trying my other Leupold 36x scope. I finally discovered that BOTH of my 36x scopes needed to be rebuilt. When I did that, the gun started to shoot.

Dumb question, but did you have the parallax adjusted correctly? That can really throw off your groups because your reticle moves all over and you don't realize it.

My SPS did the same thing around the 800 round mark. I went through all the same steps you're going through trying to get the accuracy back without realizing the obvious. I had been cleaning carbon out consistently, but had never....ever removed the copper. I bought a good copper solvent and ran patch after patch down the "clean" barrel with every patch coming out gold/green indicating excessive copper build up. As soon as the patches ran clean i hit the range and....of course...accuracy was crap....but.....only for about 20 rounds until my rifle was back like the good ole days.

I know you mentioned you had cleaned the rifle, but i thought i would throw my .02 in about my copper fouling experience. Trying removing it and hit the range again. I would bet it solves your problems.

8541 Tactical has a great video on how to bed the scope base, check him out on you tube. I also had a rifle that didn't shoot good enough for me, about 1 MOA, I skim bed the stock, glass bed the scope base, and installed a Timney trigger, and now the damn thing is sub 1/2 MOA all day!! You can do all the work yourself, watch a few videos on the subject and go slow, never forget the release agent, and you'll be fine. I would check your rings and beses for proper torque like the other guys said too, and always push those rings forward!

My SPS did the same thing around the 800 round mark. I went through all the same steps you're going through trying to get the accuracy back without realizing the obvious. I had been cleaning carbon out consistently, but had never....ever removed the copper.

Another good suggestion.

I know the cool kids think cleaning a barrel is a waste of time, but I clean every 40 rounds or so. Just get some Wipeout and let it soak over night, then swab it out. I am betting the patch will be dark blue, and it will probably take a couple soaks to get it all.

Don't ignore the carbon ring that may have formed at the throat too...

Don't get your panties in a wad there lumpy, you should have read the original post all the way. Then we wouldn't have this conversation. Someone that old shouldn't act like a child. Grow up

Don't get your panties in a wad there lumpy, you should have read the original post all the way. Then we wouldn't have this conversation. Someone that old shouldn't act like a child. Grow up

I didn't insult your wife-YOU insulted mine---
Think about that-
I was serious about the eye deal-Take a freak'n guess how I know this.
BTW: have a son who is a former Marine(Crew Chief/HMM-165). When did it become OK for a marine to insult a Marine's family?
Maybe you should do some grow'n up and think before you type-------
Old-Like hell-I'm in my prime at 63+.
LG

I didn't insult your wife-YOU insulted mine---
Think about that-
I was serious about the eye deal-Take a freak'n guess how I know this.
BTW: have a son who is a former Marine(Crew Chief/HMM-165). When did it become OK for a marine to insult a Marine's family?
Maybe you should do some grow'n up and think before you type-------
Old-Like hell-I'm in my prime at 63+.
LG

When the family doesn't capitalize Marine when throwing a temper tantrum online

I'm not an eye doctor but eye problems don't just happen on one rifle. So that being, I know now you didn't read the original post. You could see were I would misconstrue your comment to be on the snappy side. I call you out on it and you get emotional. I never insulted you wife, I just said I left the house. Maybe I was selling girl scout cookies. I'm not sure if you were in the Corps but we said a lot worse to each other than I would ever say to anyone on here. Why do you keep giving me your family resume?, I came here for advice not a date. You have a nice day now.

Twisted... Wipe that copper out completely and report back here after
shooting it again. I am curious to see if your accuracy comes right
back after the clean barrel fouls.

I have had this happen to me before, hopefully it is your remedy too.

Twisted... Wipe that copper out completely and report back here after
shooting it again. I am curious to see if your accuracy comes right
back after the clean barrel fouls.

I have had this happen to me before, hopefully it is your remedy too.

Will do ballistic1. It is doing a good soak as I type. I did a complete tear down to clean, inspect and torque. Once the weekend comes I'll hit the range and report back. I got a couple of buddies going with me to give it a shot as well. Watching the videos of 8541 is a big help, thanks for that info goes to Gooesendmax. I'm glad I asked you guys the info on this site is priceless. Thanks to everybody, including Grumpy, no hard feelings bro its all in fun.

Just and FYI, I have tried a lot of solvents and Wipe-Out always gave me the best results. Best part is, you spray it in, and ignore it until the next morning. Then either push a few patches through, or better yet run a bore-snake through it. I have a couple guns that required a couple good soaks.

After giving the rifle a good cleaning and removing a lot of copper I hit the range this weekend. After about 20 rounds to foul the barrel the accuracy came right back. Lesson learned. Thanks for all the advice from everyone. Now I'm going to bed the base and stock and see if I can get some more accuracy out of this little rifle. Now I see why this is such a fun sport, lots to learn and you can see your work payoff at the range. This is like crack( I've never done crack, I'm just assuming). Working sucks I want to go shoot. lol

After giving the rifle a good cleaning and removing a lot of copper I hit the range this weekend. After about 20 rounds to foul the barrel the accuracy came right back. Lesson learned. Thanks for all the advice from everyone. Now I'm going to bed the base and stock and see if I can get some more accuracy out of this little rifle. Now I see why this is such a fun sport, lots to learn and you can see your work payoff at the range. This is like crack( I've never done crack, I'm just assuming). Working sucks I want to go shoot. lol

I have that problem all the damn time. Only issue I have is being able to afford 100-150 rounds every weekend.. Especially with the 175 SMK and their whale like bloated prices. I found a single box the other day for 19.95 and snatched those puppies up. Three days later, back to reality at $34/100 :/

I have that problem all the damn time. Only issue I have is being able to afford 100-150 rounds every weekend.. Especially with the 175 SMK and their whale like bloated prices. I found a single box the other day for 19.95 and snatched those puppies up. Three days later, back to reality at $34/100 :/

I feel you brother. I'm going to work extra OT so I can buy some more bullets. lol

Glad to know what worked for you. I actually learned a lot from this thread.

That why I love this site. Lots of great guys with years of knowledge at your fingertips. I lurked on here for a couple years before joining to try to learn as much as possible. I had always heard when accuracy goes away to give the rifle a good cleaning but mine went bad from one weekend to the next I was afraid it was something else. Glad it was just copper build-up.

I'm a long time lurker as well and am just starting to get into the long range scene - threads like this could save me a lot of headache for the reasons you mentioned. Great guys and lots of knowledge!