• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Truck Tires

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    My 2018 Ford Expedition Max needs some new rubber. Ive used Cooper AT3s, Bridgestone Duelers, Michelins on my prior Tahoes and honestly they all wore horribly and were loud as fuck on the highway. My buddy swears by Hankook ATMs on his trucks. And when I ride with him they do seem to be quiet and ride nice. But this fucking expedition is huge and heavy. Any recommendations on a good set of tires?

Michelin M/S is a good hwy tire. I've been running nito terra grapler lately. I put a lot less mileage on tires now so like a slightly more aggressive tire.

Are you looking for mudders or just regular highway tread? Lots of guys like the Falken AT3, they are not loud and seem to last, and they have a pretty good price point. Best to have the alignment checked with any tire replacement, tires are too expensive and you're SOL if they start wearing uneven.

Reactions: SierraCJ5
    Nitto G2. Last 2 sets have worn great on my duramax. They are also 37s. Great tires last set i got about 70k out of them but I wear till theirs nothing left.

Reactions: DIBBS and greg1147
    My new Ranger came with General Grabber ATX tires and I really like them. They are rated for snow, quiet, and ride really nice.

There are lots of very positive reviews online too.

Reactions: 260284
    I'll second the tirerack reveiws, they usually give good insight on how a tire performs, how well they wear, and how quiet they are

The company has been insisting on Hancock ATM's for years.
    They wear like iron, because they're made of iron.

Haven't had a single set that wore even, and traction is abysmal. I generally lose the sidewalls well before the tread is gone. Repeated blow-outs at 75-80mph and the office still thinks they're "the best thing we can buy", which actually means "the cheapest shit we can get".

My personal rigs have Toyo A/T's or Cooper A/T's. I love the Toyo at2, but they discontinued it and the new at3 has away too much tread squirm. I'll stick with the Cooper's for now.

If you think the coopers are loud, you haven't ever driven on an MT.

Have they fixed the suspension geometry on the expeditions? Used to be common that if you put any weight in the back it would chew the shit out of the tires because the camber and toe changed so radically through the travel.

If you'd like something toward the more manly end of the spectrum consider the BF Goodrich TA K02. Aggressive tread. I've not found the noise to be excessive. I like how they handle. Treadlife is good.

I have a set of bfg's that were donated to flower planters, as they're more useful there. I've never been stuck so much in my life.

They may look aggressive, but they don't handle mud and snow worth a shit. They're great on dry dirt and gravel.

If you'd like something toward the more manly end of the spectrum consider the BF Goodrich TA K02. Aggressive tread. I've not found the noise to be excessive. I like how they handle. Treadlife is good.
    Resized_Resized_20210413_185855.jpeg

I have those on my old 7.3. Awesome so far.

Looked up the Expedition MAX, there are multiple tire sizes listed for that truck. Some of the above tires above are not listed, you may have to go up in size to get what you want. If you have 20's or 22's there are not alot of options thru our tire distributor.

BFG T/A'S on my F350, been running them on every truck since early 90's.

Road noise from tires is like music in my ears...

Sounds like...

FREEEEEEEEEEDOM!

*ETA: No, they don't wear very well. They're not meant to, they're meant to work pretty good in ALL conditions. Mud isn't their strongest area, but that's what foresight and throttle is for ;)

Last edited:
    We mainly drive on highway / roads. However I do tow our boat frequently which weighs 7000lbs. And I do on occasion get on gravel and dirt roads when I’m up in the mountains or on our farm. Fair amount of rain and snow here in Pittsburgh as well.

I had the Coopers and they were really noisy for how non aggressive they were. I leveled my truck last fall and put the General Grabber ATX and can't believe how quiet they are. I have the load range E 285/70/17 on a a half ton truck, so I run 55 psi in the front and 50 in the rear. Really quiet and have a great ride.

It seems we all have very different subjective experiences.

I owned one pair of BFG TA K02’s a few years ago and was really disappointed with the tread mileage life. Think I had to replace them after less than 25k miles. I’ll never own another pair.

Then, compared to the OP, I’ve had nothing but excellent experiences with Cooper AT3’s on multiple trucks (and Cooper ATW’s on my wife’s old Jeep Grand Cherokee). Nearly got 60k miles on my last set of AT3’s. Good off-road capability (not that I’m doing hardcore off-roading), ride is quiet enough, and even my load rage E tires ride comfortably.

These are what came on the vehicle and they are toast after 40k. 275-55-20 or what I’m looking for
    Yep thats the tire size, so you have some options available. In looking at our list, to get one of the higher end AT tires in a 10ply, you will be around $300 per tire.

I've had both BFG TA K2s and Toyo Open Country T/AIII. Both have great tread life and good snow performance. The Toyos are a little quieter than that BFGs. BFGs are a little more grippy than the Toyos. My next set will probably be BFGs.

Cooper AT3’s were loud as fuck, and ATM’s were quiet? That’s odd.

I’ll second Duratracs. I don’t mind some tire noise, and they’re pretty mild as noise goes. That’s running them on trucks and a Rubicon.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S...definitely NOT loud.
    This IMO is the best choice for the limited knowledge we have of the OP's uses...

I have never had a bad experience with these tires.

And they are available in the OP's size for not a dumb amount of money.

Ive also had good luck with Cooper AT3's that were also mentioned.

But Tire Rack shows the Michelin at the same price as the Coopers so I would swing towards Michelin HARD.

Reactions: SierraCJ5
    We mainly drive on highway / roads. However I do tow our boat frequently which weighs 7000lbs. And I do on occasion get on gravel and dirt roads when I’m up in the mountains or on our farm. Fair amount of rain and snow here in Pittsburgh as well.
    Disregard the terra grapplers I mentioned. They are not a good snow tire.

Based on your driving habits, go with a E or a D rated, ALL terrain tire. Pick between Cooper AT3, BFGoodrich AT KO, Hankook AT. You should be able to get 50 to 60 thousand miles off any of these three. But DO get the alignment checked when you have them installed, and rotate them EVERY 6000 miles. To research online, type in LT275/55R20.

Lots of good options out there to pick from, but my vote is the BFG All Terrain KO2. It's a good all around tire and not real noisy on the highway considering the tread pattern. They typically need to be rotated frequently to get the best tread life. I've used them on several of my trucks in the past and now on my Wrangler. Whichever you choose, do a contact pattern test to narrow down the tire pressure to run them.

I’ve had the BFG KO’s on my last 3 trucks and they’ve worked great. They aren’t the best at everything but they are pretty good at all of it.

These Michelin’s continue to serve very well, quiet on road, solid wet traction, and have done well on loose, rocky Tx Hill Country ranch roads, but in all honesty, not an off road tire per se, but does very well in 95% of normal duty.
    B4CF5D34-68B0-4563-A1F3-57E02D36D24E.jpeg

Reactions: Jigstick
    The BFG KO2 is outdated, never really performed well, rides and wears like shit.

Here is a better BFG KO2, the General Grabber ATX. They are actually snow rated, have a 60k mileage warranty, and come in sizes ranging from 14" to 20" wheels with flotation sizes up to I believe 37"
    genvl3_ang_xl.jpg

Toyo AT’s from now on, on anything I own. Best tire I’ve found for snow and ice. Without going MT. BFG’s wear like shit. Coopers don’t last as long as the Toyo’s. 50k easily driving a 9000lb superduty.

Based on your driving habits, go with a E or a D rated, ALL terrain tire. Pick between Cooper AT3, BFGoodrich AT KO, Hankook AT. You should be able to get 50 to 60 thousand miles off any of these three. But DO get the alignment checked when you have them installed, and rotate them EVERY 6000 miles. To research online, type in LT275/55R20.
    This.. if you’ve been running P rated tires they will wear like crap on heavier vehicles. I always run E rated tires on trucks. I’ve noticed many trucks/suvs come from the factory with P rated tires as a cost cutting measure and you’ll see heavy outer edge wear quickly.

General Grabber ATX in 10 ply.
    Side note for my own info...
    Can any of you on here explain this 20" rim thing?

20 inch rims seem like Gay Homo Fagget Shit.
    You need to get tires that fit your wheels, and are rated to carry your load.

Toyo AT3, they aren't too noisy work really well in snow and rain.

I have BFG's KO2,that never seem to stay balanced. ( first set in 30yrs that didn't stay balanced) Any brand made rounder than the others?

When I got my truck (used) it had Toyo H/Ts -highway tires - nice and quiet and never chattered pulling out from a stop/turn at any speed. BUT - first week I had it I got well stuck (in my defense it sank up to the differential) so when it needed new shoes I went with the Toyo ATs. Lot's more noise and chatter, and didn't seem to wear well for me at all - got maybe 35k out of them and that was AFTER a couple of alignments.

Switched to Wrangler Fortitude HTs and they seem to be okay, but still a bit noisy.

Since that first time stuck I've not done any real 'all terrain' driving and don't get much snow/ice down here in Georgia so can't say how they'd do in snow, though I never bothered with snow tires when I live in Chicago. Here in Georgia us damn yankees know to stay off the roads because the natives don't know anything 'bout driving in slippery conditions (and that includes rain!).

I've got an '18 F150 XLT, FX4 with the GY Kevalar AT tires, 20" OEM rims. I have just over 33k on the truck, can't really tell the tires have worn any. I tow a 28' TT (GVWR 7400#) and a 3500# boat. Tires are quite on the road, I don't off road any except driving thru my yard w/ the TT or boat hooked up ;) Good traction in the wet, but can't really say about snow as I don't have to get out in the snow, so I don't. LOL

Never had issues with BFG K02s. 2 on my current set are worn kinda uneven, but that is from me being stubborn (stupid) and driving 35 miles to get a tooth extracted after bending a control arm on the way (oops)
    Other than that (driving with several degrees of toe not being recommended for optimal tyre wear), no noticeable wear after 30k. Notice is not bad. Easiest tyres I have had to fit and balanced great

Reactions: crackerbrown
    Nitto G2. Last 2 sets have worn great on my duramax. They are also 37s. Great tires last set i got about 70k out of them but I wear till theirs nothing left.
    My go to tire for my F150, 55K so far and still tread that works

Been running the new formula bg goodrich ko2 tires. They dont rock chip anymore, great traction, long life. About to change my first set after 2 years. Great truck work tires.

are the P, T, E ratings the "load rating", "speed rating" ? i dont see them designated in this manner on tirerack

I run BFG A/T on my little beater truck, but on my last 2 work issued SUV's, I always got Toyo Open Country A/T tires. Ride great, great traction, and not very noisy.

are the P, T, E ratings the "load rating", "speed rating" ? i dont see them designated in this manner on tirerack
    E (D for a lighter truck) is load rating. Q or whatever is speed rating.