• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

True ambi AR15 Lowers

wurk

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2020
Baltimore, MD
Hello,

I am a left handed shooter who is trying to build an AR15. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for true ambi lowers.
The only ones I know:
Radian and LMT are both out of my price range.

As a lefty with full ambi lowers and regular, just save your budget and get the regular. The ambiance safeties from arms unlimited are 25 bucks and perfectly functional. The Troy ambi mag release is the best one and Ive tried nor gon ambi catch, KAC ambi release and a full KAC lower. the leverage is better. Add a geissele maritime bolt catch if you have smaller hands.

primary index finger drops mags, releases and locks bolt.

LWRC has a really nice lower. Being a lefty, I’m used to shooting a standard AR. I put an ambi safety on it and roll on.

Hello,

I am a left handed shooter who is trying to build an AR15. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for true ambi lowers.
The only ones I know:
Radian and LMT are both out of my price range.

I've owned just about every true Ambi lower on the market, the KAC lowers are nice but nonetheless overrated and overpriced!!.

Pick up a PWS MK1 MOD2
The controls are identical to KAC, has tighter tolerances and a few extra features over knights. I think I paid $250 for each of my PWS stripped lowers. Here are a couple of pics that you can use for reference plus a pic of my Recce set up.

sB0b2hp.jpg
xs6Cg9i.jpg
IMG_20190622_195436591.jpg

As a lefty with full ambi lowers and regular, just save your budget and get the regular. The ambiance safeties from arms unlimited are 25 bucks and perfectly functional. The Troy ambi mag release is the best one and Ive tried nor gon ambi catch, KAC ambi release and a full KAC lower. the leverage is better. Add a geissele maritime bolt catch if you have smaller hands.

primary index finger drops mags, releases and locks bolt.

This is the correct answer if you don’t want to spend the money for a LMT or KAC ambi lower.

Sig lowers are also ambi, but I don't know that they sell just the lower. For a complete gun, sig's stuff is very functional and worth the money, in my opinion.

I have tried just about everything ambi, and for "out of the box" simplicity, I like the sigs. But I've built more than a few and all the parts are out there to do so with ease.

all the parts to make it truly ambidextrous should be under $100 before shipping. That would make that PWS lower a great deal.

Reactions: NateSavannah
Have none of you ever even heard of Stag; the premier LH AR maker?

Check out the site.

If what you need is LH, why are you looking for an Ambi?

Uppers with LH/RH ejection options. Something that may be what you're looking for. LH BCG.

Worth a look.

Greg

Last edited:
I just spent a ton of time on this embarking upon building a lower for a 6.5 Grendel upper and being a lefty myself. I have a couple of LWRCs and a KAC and an LMT but those were unavailable at a price I wanted to pay at present. I narrowed it down to ADM or the Radian based on the wisdom of the inter webs and I went with the Radian which is on its way to my dealer now. Looking forward to it!

Reactions: texasleftychef
I just spent a ton of time on this embarking upon building a lower for a 6.5 Grendel upper and being a lefty myself. I have a couple of LWRCs and a KAC and an LMT but those were unavailable at a price I wanted to pay at present. I narrowed it down to ADM or the Radian based on the wisdom of the inter webs and I went with the Radian which is on its way to my dealer now. Looking forward to it!
Sorry meant to note that if you care about forged MVB has that; and SilencerCo (who knew?) now has a billet one too. Have never seen either of those and wasn’t so much out there on them I could find.....

ADM UIC, I find it the best in usability. I like the bolt release and catch being independent of magazine function unlike the Radian. I’ve got three now and a bunch of spare parts for the few proprietary bits.

I just purchased the ADM ambient but I was looking hard for a POF Gen4 lower. I have one on my 308 and it is, functionally, perfect IMO. Alas, POF is not selling them as stripped lowers at the moment, had to wait til late November or December. The Radian was also in my sights but the price was up there and they're heavy.

Having handled most of the “ambi” lowers on the market the Radian is the nicest ergonomically. A close 2nd is the Battle Arms Development.

ADM ambi lower is my favorite. Right around $280-300. Similar to the radian lower

I’ve tried them all. I think hands down the nicest and best fitting lefty options are the Radian first and ADM second and after that they all seem kind of the same in the KAC/LMT mold. For big frame the Seekins is just about perfect too as it’s full ambi unlike the small frame. For those of you lefties that haven’t handled the Radian you need to at least fondle one before dismissing it because of price. They actually have a lot of parts already installed too which should be considered in the price. I think you only have to put in trigger and safety. The real problem with it is they make about 100 every three months it seems. ADM is really nice but the lock up on the Radian is better.

That Cross in the post above looks good too. So I guessed I’ve tried them all but CMT.

Last edited:
Reactions: B Man
KAC is worth it but IMO you should just save and get a KAC rifle if you're gonna go that route. You could get the lower and upper later. At any rate, doing that will make your rifle worth a helluva lot more if you ever went to sell it.

LMT is on par with KAC, very similar.

Best part is the KAC lower is "made that way" and what I mean is there are no "afterthought" parts or shit hanging off the rifle that you could install yourself on any plain lower. It's literally cut for the ambi parts they designed and, well, "made that way". A true ambi lower.

I really like 'em and maybe should have gone with those in hindsight, but I got a bunch of regular KAC lowers and built 'em up for probably $800ish or just $100 more and I could have had the new ambi ones. And the KAC trigger is every bit as good as an SSA/E AND heavier duty to boot. Get the KAC ambi, cry once and be done with it I say.

I have the CMT 2nd and 3rd gen ambi, Spikes and the Radian AX556. I would say the Radian is the easiest for the ambi controls followed by the CMT gen2 and then gen3 the difference is tiny bit of machining on the left side Mag release.

Not AR15, but I have a large frame AR receiver set from ZEV. It's fully ambidextrous, and it's awesome. I'm right handed, but still find myself using the ambi controls.

They make a bullet AR15 receiver set. Check it out

Didn’t like my LMT ambi lower at all. Controls on the right side were placed awkward. Finger always kept snagging the dust cover when manipulating the controls. The Radian doesn’t have those issues

Ive owened a couple PWS products. they are very very well made.
San Tan Tacticals another to look at in the mid range price point.
Radians the best. best is subjective.
but still. Radians the best.
and youre wrong if you think otherwise.

So I did a ton of research, went back and forth and just couldn't put my money down on the Radian given the weight and cost. Instead I went with ADM (American Defense Manufacturing). Well, it arrived today. Been using a run of the mill Del-Ton lower and wanted the ambidextrous controls and to move the Del-ton on to something else. It's performed flawless but hey, it's a mil-spec lower.

I excitedly assembled the ADM and then, prior to installing the grip, went to adjust the tension screw and found I could not draw the BCG back with the charge handle. I messed with it and adjusted it to the point where I could pull the charge handle back but in doing so, I could not lock the rear takedown pin in place.

Took the lower off and began to examine the machined area around the collar. Funky. It's uneven and not symmetric on both sides. I could see a very small nick where the BCG was hitting the lower. Have an email into ADM but IMO, this one never should have made it out the door.

I figure I can machine/grind it off but there goes future resale and I'll have a good chunk of exposed aluminum. WWSD?

Also a lefty, and was recently shopping for a ambi AR lower.

Came across these last night, and the best part is, they were/are currently in stock.

Also a lefty, and was recently shopping for a ambi AR lower.

Came across these last night, and the best part is, they were/are currently in stock.

It’s a private labeled CMT looks like.

What ever receiver you use try a short throw selector. My favorite is the Battle Arms 45 degree Short Throw. Right or left handed you always knock the safety off with your thumb, when finished straiten your trigger finger and lift up on the selector making it safe. Smooth and easy to do with no fumbling and it doesn't matter if it's strong or support side. Plus you get bonus points for having your finger off the trigger when you put the safety on.

Last edited:
Maybe save a little more and get the Radian. If the ambi controls are that important to you, isn't it worth getting exactly what you want?

So I did a ton of research, went back and forth and just couldn't put my money down on the Radian given the weight and cost. Instead I went with ADM (American Defense Manufacturing). Well, it arrived today. Been using a run of the mill Del-Ton lower and wanted the ambidextrous controls and to move the Del-ton on to something else. It's performed flawless but hey, it's a mil-spec lower.

I excitedly assembled the ADM and then, prior to installing the grip, went to adjust the tension screw and found I could not draw the BCG back with the charge handle. I messed with it and adjusted it to the point where I could pull the charge handle back but in doing so, I could not lock the rear takedown pin in place.

Took the lower off and began to examine the machined area around the collar. Funky. It's uneven and not symmetric on both sides. I could see a very small nick where the BCG was hitting the lower. Have an email into ADM but IMO, this one never should have made it out the door.

I figure I can machine/grind it off but there goes future resale and I'll have a good chunk of exposed aluminum. WWSD?

I have three ADM lowers and counting so far, and haven't seen that yet.

IMG_3174.jpeg

IMG_3176.jpeg

IMG_3178.jpeg

Your BCG shouldn't be impacting that point at all. Something is definitely off, it should be sliding in where your buffer tube is, and that doesn't look obscured at all. Do you see a corresponding mark on the BCG? Maybe use some black sharpie on the back and see what area is impacting (you can wipe off with alcohol after).

ADM has great CS so you should have no issues with them helping out, but I'm not sure that's related to the lower. FWIW, I heavily preferred the ADM lowers over the Radians due to the bolt hold open/release being independent of the magazine release.

I think as close as you will get is ADM. I looked a lot at this myself. If you have to have the slide lock button on the right, then I’d buy a Seekins Precision lower and get the JP rifles Ambi mag release. If you get that combo, the drop mag and bolt from either side. Slide lock only on right. That’s what I’m doing.

Just an update on my issues and full disclosure of my newbness. Turned out to be something I didn't spot with another component. I now have the ADM ambidextrous lower installed and it functions as it should. ADM got back to me first thing Monday morning bright and early and offered a few suggestions on what to check. Was caused by one of the roll pins in my damn charging handle. I seriously swapped parts between three different uppers/lowers trying to solve the issue until I spotted that little pin sticking up. What a pain.

The culprit:

The results. I went for the plain Jane version as I have enough aesthetic clutter to begin with.

This little guy acts as a bolt lock and release. Pretty slick and easy to function. Not 100% used to it yet.

The left side

Gratuitous detail shot of the "V" showing through the trigger cutout.

Reactions: ormandj
Glad it was an easy fix! Always a pain when those little things are hard to track down. Looking great!