• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors trust question

Bill Bednar

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I going the way of the trust using quicken will maker. My understanding is you should place something into the trust when you start it. Can I place a silencer into the trust that I already own and have a stamp for? Or is this going to make things more complictated?

Thanks

Re: trust question

I'm no lawyer, but I wouldn't do it. I think you'd technically be transfering ownership of the suppressor you already own from you to the trust and you'd have to pay another $200 and go through the process again for the one you already own.

Put a $1 bill and maybe a rifle in there to get the trust started.

yeah, if you own the suppressor individually dont list it on the trust. You can list ANYTHING on the schedule A, I know of a guy who listed an antique toilet. When I set mine up my trust got a Henry 22lr. Now its got a few more goodies on there but it started out with just the Henry listed on the Schedule A and I keep updating it.

Above are correct. To put it into your trust you would need to send paper work in trust name + $200 wait for form 4 to come back approved then you could place on schedule A.

Just a heads up, you may want to have an attorney look over that trust, or better yet find one that is familiar with the issues and have one written for you vs the software/template route.

-pd

I put my 4 items on the schedule A before they were "transfered to the trust". Meaning, I listed the items and S.N. that the BATFE was transfering to the trust. Everything went through without a hitch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put my 4 items on the schedule A before they were "transfered to the trust". Meaning, I listed the items and S.N. that the BATFE was transfering to the trust. Everything went through without a hitch. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">+1</span> I have done my last 13 transfers this way and have yet to have a problem. You paid for it so your trust owns it you just can't take possession.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xtant23</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put my 4 items on the schedule A before they were "transfered to the trust". Meaning, I listed the items and S.N. that the BATFE was transfering to the trust. Everything went through without a hitch. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">+1</span> I have done my last 13 transfers this way and have yet to have a problem. You paid for it so your trust owns it you just can't take possession. </div></div>

This is fine as the trust is the one that have purchased the items. But if the item is owned individually then it shouldnt be listed on the Schedule A as the trust owning it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xtant23</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put my 4 items on the schedule A before they were "transfered to the trust". Meaning, I listed the items and S.N. that the BATFE was transfering to the trust. Everything went through without a hitch. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">+1</span> I have done my last 13 transfers this way and have yet to have a problem. You paid for it so your trust owns it you just can't take possession. </div></div>

This is fine as the trust is the one that have purchased the items. But if the item is owned individually then it shouldnt be listed on the Schedule A as the trust owning it. </div></div>

What?? I don't understand what you you are saying?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xtant23</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xtant23</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put my 4 items on the schedule A before they were "transfered to the trust". Meaning, I listed the items and S.N. that the BATFE was transfering to the trust. Everything went through without a hitch. </div></div>

This is fine as the trust is the one that have purchased the items. But if the item is owned individually then it shouldnt be listed on the Schedule A as the trust owning it. </div></div>

What?? I don't understand what you you are saying?
</div></div>

If you already own the suppressor as original poster does it is in HIS name and recorded on the paperwork at the BATF not the trust's. When you establish a trust items like cars, boats, motorcycles, your house deed, NFA etc. anything that is recorded need's to be transfered to the trust so your car title's, house deed etc. will now be registered to the trust not you personally. Other items that are not deeded/titled/recorded etc. and have no paperwork like your kitchen sink are covered with verbage in the trust. You can stick anything in the trust you want, the above that included into trust prior to being NFA approved are fine as long as they get approved if not they take it off schedule A. There usually won't be many items on a schedule A, only items like noted above. A trust can be set up for anything and does not have to include house, vehicles etc. You can set a trust for firearms investment's or like someone posted "antique toilet's". With the inclusion 'any other investments the trustee's deem approriate' you can cover a lot of territory.

If you want to see a Trust template, go to: www.hooperordnance.com. Once on this website, you'll see the "DOWNLOADS" tab and go from there. Hooper is a great guy to deal with. I ordered my first two cans from him doing it the standard way with photo, fingerprint card, LE certification, etc. My two latest cans I bought from Hooper too and he helped me get it via his Trust format. I put a watch down on the Schedule A. Very easy to do. Hooper is a Hide member too.

I JUST HAVE MY ITEMS IN MY TRUST LISTED IN THE SCHEDULE A AS

NFA FIREARMS COLLECTION LOCATED AT ///THAN PUT THE ADDRESS THE NFA ITEMS WILL BE STORED AT YOU DO NOT NEED TO ITEMIZE

SO NOW ANY NFA ITEMS TRANSFERD WITH THE TRUSTS NAME WILL BE COVERD UNDER THE SCHEDULE A

I HAVE 15 OR MORE ITEMS DONE THIS WAY

Place an item in trust that you will keep such as an antique your family gave you or a watch like Joe advised.

The Trust on my site has been used many times over with no issues in the following states:
AL, MS, TN, FL, GA, TX

Just follow the directions to the letter and be sure to have it notorized. Any questions, call me toll Free
888-249-0884

BTW, I also offer gunsmithing services to include threading your barrel for the suppressor you used the trust to transfer.

www.hooperordnance.com