• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Trying to decide which can to buy for AR.

mike1128

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2008
Mississippi
Tryin to pick between the SureFire FA556AR (M4FA) or the AAC M4-2000. The SureFire is a lil more pricey than the AAC, I also didn't see any Sound Reduction stats on the SF website. Which do yall feel is quieter?

Re: Trying to decide which can to buy for AR.

M4-2000 will be quieter. Both are excellent cans, but the AAC is better unless you need it to reflex over the barrel.

Thanks for the info Mike and doorkicker....I'll look into the M4-1000

get an OPS inc, surefire is a copy of OPS, and price is much higher than anything else out there.

AAC is good too, but again OPS has treated me very well....not to mention it is on more US military weapons than any any other can

I have 2 ops inc cans and love them both.

Wrote this on another site.....Maybe you will find some of the info useful:

Just my thoughts, base on my needs, and what I feel is important:

When selecting a suppressor, point of impact shift, type of mount, weight, and length of the suppressor are <span style="font-weight: bold">my</span> main concerns. Cost and noise reduction are the lowest on <span style="font-weight: bold">my</span> list of concerns.

When noise reduction is mentioned, a lot of guys will make a mountain over a mole hill in reference to a couple decibels. As long as the suppressor doesn't seem loud to me and I can shoot it without hearing protection, <span style="font-weight: bold">I'm</span> good to go.

1) <span style="font-weight: bold">Point of Impact Shift </span> - Something that I did not realize when I purchased my first suppressor was how much a suppressor effects the point of impact of the host gun. I had a quick detach suppressor that changed the point of impact around 4" (low and to the right) at 50 yards.

I want the ability to put the can on the gun or remove it and not have to worry about have 2 different zero's for the same gun. With or without the can, the gun should have the same point of impact.

I needed a quick detach system because there are times when I don't want to use a suppressor (ie. vehicle ops, high round count training classes, etc) and times where I want to use a suppressor (ie. serving warrants small houses, trailers, apartments, etc).

With the Surefire 556k suppressor, using an Aimpoint and Aimpoint with 3x Magnifier, I can't tell a difference in point of impact shift. Surefire states that their can will effect the point of impact less than 1 MOA at 100 yards. I can't tell a difference in my zero with or without the can on the gun.

2) <span style="font-weight: bold">Mounting system</span> - Without getting too complex, basically there are two different types of mounting systems.

a) Quick Detach systems = the can mounts to a flash hider type mount and can easily be installed and uninstalled

b) Barrel thread system = these are suppressors that mount directly to the barrels threads. I would only use this type of can if I were going to mount it on the gun and leave it on the gun. The Gem-Tech M4-02 is a good example of a barrel thread mounting system design: http://www.gem-tech.com/M4-02.html

When shooting with a suppressor mounted to the gun, not only will you notice that the gun get's hotter quicker, but it also get's dirtier quicker and burns off lube quicker.

Something to consider if getting a quick detach system. One of the areas that attracts carbon build up is the mounting area of the suppressor, and on most quick detach suppressors some level of cleaning and lubrication to the mounting system are required. I had a Quick Detach system several years ago, where the quick detach system within the suppressor would lock up due to carbon build up with only a couple hundred rounds and I would have to send the suppressor back to the manufacturer to get the quick detach system back in working order.

The Surefire's mounting system is pretty durable, less likely to get stuck, and even if it does get stuck, you just loosen the locking ring, fire a couple rounds through the gun and it will loosen the can. The mounting system of the 556k was another feature that I considered when looking for a new suppressor.

If you don't NEED a Quick Detach system, you may want to consider something like a Gem-Tech M4-02 which mounts directly to the barrel threads. Mount it and leave it. No point of impact shift to worry about, etc.

The M4-02 sells for approxiamtely $525. The Surefire is approximatley $1,300 and it does not come with a mount, mounts are around $100 (depending which one you get). So that's around $1,400. The M4-02 is almost 1/3rd the price.

If you don't NEED a quick detach system, but you want the ability to shoot the SBR with and without the suppressor. One option to explore would be to get 2 identical uppers for the same SBR lower. Mount the M4-02 on one upper, and no suppressor on the other.

3) <span style="font-weight: bold">Weight</span> - Weight is always a concern with suppressors. 5oz or 8oz may not sound like much, but when that weight is at the end of your barrel (furthest away from the center of gravity of the gun) the extra weight feels heavier and is much more noticable than if that weight was located at the center of the gun.

4) <span style="font-weight: bold">Length</span> - Length also needs to be considered as it effects the compactness of the overall package. Added length can also magnify the weight of the suppressor.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Surefire 556k suppressor</span>:

- Weight of just the suppressor: 16.06 ounces (just a hair over a pound)
- Length of just the suppressor: 6 and 1/4 inches
- Overall length when mounted to a 11.5" barrel: 17 and 1/4 inches

For reference I measured a Bravo Company 16" mid-lenght barrel with a USGI A2 flash hider mounted on it and it was just under 1/8" longer than the 11.5" barrel with the Surefire 556k suppressor.

For me, the Surefire 556k suited my needs better than other cans I had researched.

If I had to go out and buy another suppressor today I would purchase another Surefire 556k

I got my 556k from Grant a couple years ago and his price was much better than the advertised price......Don't know if that is still the case or not.....wouldn't hurt to check if you are in the market for a 556k.

Figure out the following and get the best suppressor that fits within these parameters

1) How much do you want to spend
2) What are your needs
3) What features are most important and least important to you (ie. is sound reduction more important or is lack of impact shift more important)

Same gun with and without the 556k:

DPP_0020.jpg

DPP_0018.jpg

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">1) How much do you want to spend</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">2) What are your needs</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">3) What features are most important and least important to you (ie. is sound reduction more important or is lack of impact shift more important)</span>
</div></div>
I could not have said it better. 556/223 suppressors are not quiet. The ar15/m16 is not ever going to be a quiet gun suppressed. Just keep that in mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rem_.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any experience with that KAC suppressor doorkicker?</div></div>
Yes, it's the best paperweight I have found yet...if you want to turn your M4 into a M249 weighted weapon system...buy a KAC. I was issued one and would gladly blow my eardrums out instead
grin.gif

M4-2000, I have never heard the M4-1000 but what a beautiful can.

1) Money is to be less than $1400
2) My needs are a suppressor that is safe to shoot without hearing protection
3) Features most important are QD, Impact shift no more than 1 MOA, and again sound reduction to a safe level for use without hearing protection. Also length no more than 9 inches.

I love my M4-2000. I thought about a couple of others, but when it came down to it, I plan on having this the rest of my life. It costs a little more than some others, but now I don't wish I had gotten a different one. Plus, it's the quietest I've heard yet, although I haven't heard a ton of them.

Besides, you never know when you'll need to put it on a full auto? I never thought I would, but ended up running my suppressed upper on a FA lower a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know what my point of impact change is. My range has a piece of steel at 200 yards that's 18" wide and 12" tall, and I can hit it with and without the can. I'm running a carbine with an Eotech, so that's good enough for me.

I have a SF 5.56FA; no complaints! TacOps is supposed to have a great can that maybe an improvement to any other can out there but I don't think it is QD?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rem_.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1) Money is to be less than $1400
3) Features most important are QD, Impact shift no more than 1 MOA, and again sound reduction to a safe level for use without hearing protection. Also length no more than 9 inches. </div></div>

If you have not decided on a particular suppressor and this is what you require, I would recommend these cans in this order:

1st) Ops Inc. 12th or 16th model (depending on how much barrel work you would want to have done).
2nd) AAC SPR/M4 (no barrel work required sounds about as good as the 12th model).
3rd) AAC M4-2000
4th) Surefire FA556AR (most expensive and the loudest).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zink14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

....not to mention it is on more US military weapons than any any other can

</div></div>

I am 99% sure that Knights has sold more silencers to the military then OPS.

Stuff I posted in another thread... M4-1000 vs M4-2000

The M4-1000 is a great silencer, that uses some of AAC's older technology, good technology just older. We are constantly R\Ding silencers and have learned a lot along the way. We learned how to make the M4-2000 quieter, lighter, AND smaller then the M4-1000 (this design used to me called the M4-2000) The newer design also has less flash (really no flash), an upgraded mounting system (51T instead of 18T), and less gas blow back.

To break down what's on the inside here you go: M4-2000 (2k) M4-1000 (1k)

2k has all conical 718 Inconel baffles and the end cap is 718 as well
1k has a flat blast (first) baffle made of 718 Inconel and the rest of the conical baffles and end cap are made of 316L stainless steel.

Inconel is a steel alloy that is stronger and better suited for the hot, high pressure gases associated with the 5.56 cartridge. 316L does a great job, Inconel is just better. i.e. longer service life.

The all conical baffles of the 2k is what helps it have less gas blow back.

Does that help?

EDIT to add: The M4-2000 has more to offer but, you pay more... if you don't want to pay for all those options then get the M4-1000 it is still a great silencer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my M4-2000. I thought about a couple of others, but when it came down to it, I plan on having this the rest of my life. </div></div>

That is how I feel too!

Right on brother!

Thanks Mike, I will be considering this can in the near future.

I said is "on" more US MIL weapons...KAC may have sold more...but most sit in Rucks...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1_ar_newbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zink14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

....not to mention it is on more US military weapons than any any other can

</div></div>

I am 99% sure that Knights has sold more silencers to the military then OPS.</div></div>

take a look at SAS I just got my 30 cal SAS can in at my FFL and I am really liking this suppressor (granted I haven't shot it yet - but there are alot of pleased customers).

I have a SureFire at the same FFL .. and honestly just looking the two over I believe the SAS is a superior built product.

[/quote]
I could not have said it better. 556/223 suppressors are not quiet. The ar15/m16 is not ever going to be a quiet gun suppressed. Just keep that in mind. [/quote]

Gotta disagree. I have several suppressors that work just fine on .223. Even on 11.5 inch M16 upper I could shoot select-fire (full c-mag once or twice) without hearing protection (sold the M16 a while back, kept the suppressor).

I use the can now on a Rem 700 PSS and can shoot w/o hearing protection, same as on my .308 PSS. Ballistic/sonic "crack" is more than tolerable.

.223 cans were made years ago by Ty Meligan of TL guns up in Oregon (he's since out of the business) and I use an SRT shadow on my .308. Occasionally I'll put it on an AR15 w/ varying length barrels and yeah, with the shorter barrels the "bang" is a little louder, but still tolerable (I trained as a hearing conservation NCO while in the Army some time back so I know somewhat whereof I speak).

YMMV.

Norm

http://www.silencertests.com

Some old information, but it gives you a good sense of how well different mfrs. cans work.

I'm looking at buying a couple of AAC cans right now. From their testing and the notes on silencertests, I think for the price I'm going to do about as well as any other.

JET cans appeal to me, but for the higher cost and marginally lower weight for an equivalent can, saving several hundred bucks pays the ATF tax.

Norm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rem_.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1) Money is to be less than $1400
3) Features most important are QD, Impact shift no more than 1 MOA, and again sound reduction to a safe level for use without hearing protection. Also length no more than 9 inches. </div></div>

AAC M4/SPR.

db or versatility

Is db more important than versatility to you? The db of a 308 can on a .223 is not all that much different. (about 3 db) I shoot my 308 can on my 16" .223 and the "report" seems less than the sonic crack.

However on a single shot pistol with a 14" barrel it is a little loud and I use hearing protection.

There is less back pressure too.

If getting cans is not a big deal for you then absolutely get a can made for the AR. AAC M4/SPR or the like... But if the $ and the thought of having a few cans that can do most everything is appealing to you, than consider using a 308 can on your AR. It will save you almost a grand and be one less can to have to deal with.

It will NOT be as efficient. But one silencer can do both, one as designed and the other only slightly reduced in efficiency, and a little heavier. If I could only own one center fire rifle can it would be the 308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnInNH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">db or versatility

Is db more important than versatility to you? The db of a 308 can on a .223 is not all that much different. (about 3 db)... </div></div>

Keep in mind that a change of 3 dBa DOUBLES (or halves) the sound pressure. A 3 dB rise in sound pressure from the .308 will be perceived as at least twice as loud.

Well, I made up my mind. I ordered a M4-1000 from AAC this past week. The videos Mike Mers has posted about the company sold me on AAC and I've heard nothing but good things about it from DoorKicker and a few other Hide members. I also won't be running any full autos so I'm guessing the 1000 would be a good choice for my first can...hopefully a few more to follow. Will be looking to set up an SBR rig next...

A little late to comment but for future refrence dont forget about the new Full auto rated Shark "Hammerhead" just MO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rem_.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tryin to pick between the SureFire FA556AR (M4FA) or the AAC M4-2000. The SureFire is a lil more pricey than the AAC, I also didn't see any Sound Reduction stats on the SF website. Which do yall feel is quieter? </div></div>

The AAC SPR/M4..........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arevalosocom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rem_.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tryin to pick between the SureFire FA556AR (M4FA) or the AAC M4-2000. The SureFire is a lil more pricey than the AAC, I also didn't see any Sound Reduction stats on the SF website. Which do yall feel is quieter? </div></div>

The AAC SPR/M4.......... </div></div>
Watch this and judge for yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McB0Jd-BaAw

Btw, just to be fair; I don't think that is a "K" model as stated in the video.

1. That's a pretty healthy budget, should be able to get anything you want.
3. Go to the silencertests.com for independent reviews. The AAC gear is highly regarded.
3. Some manufacturers believe most quick detach mounts are inferior to threaded mounts in terms of consistency, POI shifts etc. But, they are popular anyway, so whatever. If you were putting a can on a precision bolt action, then maybe it would be something to consider more carefully....but then again, I can't think of any bolt actions that use QD mounts...lol.....anyway.
3. My vote goes for AAC in steel and Quick Silver in titanium(which will be quite a bit lighter, their 556 can is tiny and very effective).

I see you ordered but David 737shark on here and his "Hammerhead" is worth a look!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rem_.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1) Money is to be less than $1400

1. That's a pretty healthy budget, should be able to get anything you want.
3. Go to the silencertests.com for independent reviews. The AAC gear is highly regarded.
3. Some manufacturers believe most quick detach mounts are inferior to threaded mounts in terms of consistency, POI shifts etc. But, they are popular anyway, so whatever. If you were putting a can on a precision bolt action, then maybe it would be something to consider more carefully....but then again, I can't think of any bolt actions that use QD mounts...lol.....anyway.
3. My vote goes for AAC in steel and Quick Silver in titanium(which will be quite a bit lighter, their 556 can is tiny and very effective). </div></div>

Actually QD's have less poi shift and are more consistent! Ask GAP and Surgeon on what they prefer on their boltguns?