• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tumbler Motor question

doubled

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2011
North Texas
I'm in love with my Thumblers but it's just not big enough and the 40lb tumblers for sale are to expensive.

The thumbler uses a 1/50th HP motor at 1500 RPM (on the shaft) putting the tumbler at 20RPM with the current pulley setup (this is the low speed version)

I bought a 1/2HP motor at 1725 RPM on the shaft w/ capacitor start (high torque start) to build my own better mousetrap.

My question is does anyone know how I can calculate my maximum barrel weight (loaded) so i can determine what size barrel to get?

thanks

Re: Tumbler Motor question

There is not a simple formula to follow to calculate what you want to know.

Start-up torque of your motor is a far more important criteria than peak HP though, I can tell you that.

I suggest you discern what the stall-torque (electric motors make peak torque when they are stalled) of your motor is, figure your pulley ratio, and cacluate final torque. Multiply that by ~.9 to factor in driveline losses.

Then play with your existing drum/barrel to get a feel for how much torque it takes to get it turning. You could do this with an in-lb torque wrench on one of the nuts that holds on the cover. Change the weight of your drum and try to characterize the effect of weight on torque required to get it turning. I am sure this won't be a linear relationship, but for "practical" purposes, assume it is, and extrapolate out to your goal of 40lb.

Then, factor in the drive ratio between the rollers/(intended)drum, and multipy your "output shaft" torque by that.

Obviously for your new motor to drive any intended drum:

New motor torque * drive ratio 1 * drive ratio 2 * driveline efficiency > intended barrel startup torque

I know the big lortone 40lb one uses a 1/3 motor so I would have to guess I am surely good to go. When I get the motor in hand I will test with your idea of the wrench. good idea.

Yep. The "try it" method is the one I advise.

Good luck and please report back!

Doubled,

I solved the same problem in a totally different manner. I bought a $149 chinese cement mixer and fabbed a lid for it. I ran it steady for almost two years and it never missed a lick.

I bought this one today from surplus center.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=10-2377&catname=electric

i also got a 2.45 OD pulley. I am now looking for a decent barrel to use. If I can not find a good hexagon one I will use a 3 gallon bucket with screw on lid and come up with something on the inside to agitate, maybe drill holes and epoxy in 3" dowels or something to keep it all from just sliding along a smooth barrel.

Hoping someone can help me - i'm extremely handy with the exception of 1 thing and that is electricity.

I'm building my monster tumbler and the motor came in today. I expected this to be like most things in the past that i have had to wire power up to and there would be 3 screws, 3 wires and they would have a simple diagram to match my Home Depot 115-volt cord.

I want someone to help me make sure i get this right so I don't burn the motor up. How in the hell do I wire this up properly? Am I line1 or line2 or other when i hook this up?

Instructions:
2011-11-29_19-30-32_285.jpg

Wires:
2011-11-29_19-32-22_874.jpg

This will be my barrel; it's a 5-gallon keg I use for my homebrewing. I am putting ribs down the inside of the keg for agitators, to simulate the effects of a hexagonal barrel.
2011-11-29_16-29-39_163.jpg

2011-11-29_16-29-54_6.jpg

Take the yellow with blue stripe wire and connect it to your black wire of the power cord. Then take the blue and gray wires, twist them together and cover with a wirenut. Take the red, brown, and orange and twist them together and cover with a wire nut. Lastly take the black, white and yellow wires and connect them to the white wire of your power cord. Then take the green wire from the power cord and connect it to the green screw inside the box where all the motor wires come out. To put a switch in the circuit, buy a simple toggle switch and connect the black wire from the power cord to one side, and the yellow with blue stripe wire from the motor to the other terminal.

Doug Giraud

Thanks Doug. The yellow wire is with a black stripe, but not blue. Since it is the only one like that that I am guessing that's what you meant. Really appreciate the help