• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tumbling/ bending bullets has me stumped

I called Hornady and they said the lots I have are recent. But they obviously still have issues.
Sucks to hear the problem still exists.
I bought a pile of the 147 seconds and they’ve GTG but the regular production gave me problems when I last tried them again at 2800 fps.

The 5R barrel is putting them out at 3050fps and the Proof is around 3000. Maybe too fast for the 147, but they are factory loads.

I talked to 2 different techs at Hornady today. Both lots of this ammo I have was made in October 2019 so they said it is the new stuff they have. The one tech said it might be because the gun isnt fully broken in yet. He thinks it might stop after 200 rounds or so. The other tech said they have seen issues with the 147gr but he said almost all were with 4 grove cut rifle barrels. I'm not sure what Proof uses. He also said I might have a right bore since I am getting 3025-3050fps out of it and that might be causing it. They emailed me a return label so I am going to send them 1 box of each lot that I have. I might try running some JP bore paste thru it to see if that helps. Also going to shoot 50 or more rounds to see what that does. I hope I get this figured out since this gun is a real shooter when the bullets dont come apart. And they told me that the L shape is the lead core hitting the paper after the jacket came off of it.
Don’t fuck with your bore. Try a different bullet

Reactions: 6brshooter
100 years of gravity does less than shooting it once in terms of what happens to the action screws.
AB4C2335-6ED8-4247-8605-A85681526D81.gif

• Haha
Reactions: goosed and lash
The 5R barrel is putting them out at 3050fps and the Proof is around 3000. Maybe too fast for the 147, but they are factory loads.
Guys had issues w the 147 in CM also. I believe its a jacket issue not so much related the speed.

I will try to get in touch with Hornady today. Seems like they have a issue with this ammo. I got almost 400 rounds of this stuff and another 200 will be here tomorrow. I will let everyone know what Hornady says.
Do you have lot #"s?
Mine were lot# 2191026
I haven't heard back from Hornady yet. I've had these a few months and possibly 6 months or more.

crap...I ran into the same issue...I came home and scrubbed my barrel back to bare metal...went out again and bullets were turning into smoke puffs about 30 yards in front of barrel....WTF???

I was able to chrono 5 rounds before they stated blowing up....look like a small puff of smoke 30 yards out...I was shooting at steel and not paper today...the pics below are from 3 days ago...6.5 PRC, 26 Proof CF barrel..TL3 receiver...speed just over 2800 fps...

Here is the lot numbers...2192168

Here
IMG_0742.jpeg
IMG_0741.jpeg

It happens. Barrel + bullet combo puts too much heat/deformation into the bullet. 147s get it the most, probably a lot because of how many people are shooting them, but I've seen 150smks let go too. 6.5 PRC and SAUM (any overbore caliber under 7mm geared for low drag bullets, really) are hard on thin jacketed bullets. Especially if you don't clean regularly.

143s won't have that problem. Newer lots should be better, too.
Had this issue with a customer's rifle a few years ago. They wanted to shoot a 6.5-06 throated for 147s, and with the loads we worked up to verify good function and precision we had this tumbling issue.

We ended up having better success with a Barnes bullet for hunting loads and a Berger 153 Hybrid for the range.

140s did not have that problem for whatever reason irrespective of manufacturer.

Hornady is sending me a couple of boxes they want me to try. They didn't say what they changed. I just took a long range class and used 144 gr Bergers. I didnt have any issues with them.

I don’t know guys factory dumb dumb rounds? It’s sort of awesome.... now if we could only find a 6.5 CM machine gun! 😏