• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Two REAL Unertl 10x scopes

totenkopf

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2009
I found this old pic and I thought it was interesting. Here's an old picture of two real Unertl scopes I had seen and used when in the Navy...one is a USMC and the other an Other Government Agency (OGA) SEALS, FBI version.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
The marking is the only difference, and the fact that there were only a handfull of the B-model (2000 series) made (I heard 83 once). Too bad the serial number was obscured. I'd be interested to know what number out of 83 it is, or if it's higher than 83. I've seen the number up to 40 (2040) so far. They are few and far between, and it's nearly impossible to find any information on them to fill in the gaps. Very nice photo, BTW.

Last edited:
I take it back, #2059 is the highest 10X scope I have seen so far (Death From Afar, Vol.1).

That photo showing the USMC Sniper along side the 10X Sniper brings up another question I've been pondering. Notice the difference in finish color. The USMC Sniper is a deeper satin black, while the 10X is more of a matte gray.

All of the early (ca. 1981 when these scope were first released) photos and videos I have seen show USMC scopes having the gray, matte finish (before they were ever camouflage painted). This includes the prototypes, and those having the early, first contract windage knobs. I understand from period literature that the finish was black chrome, and that it did not wear well.

Photos of USMC from after that time period tend to show more of the satin or semi-gloss deep black (when not camouflaged). Were the scopes after the first 25 contract scopes a different finish? Or were the worn USMC scopes refinished at a later time with something different?

Any thoughts or insight on this?

The way I understand it in speaking with Arron (a Unertl 10x scope builder) from Unertl...the base scope was chrome coated with an added flat phosphate type finish . The finish came off easily as you can see in pictures of used scopes. They are usually silver with most of the flat finish removed through either cleaning and/or use. I painted mine as most users did. I do know that the chemicals used were nasty and not as durable as Robar NP3 type or similar coatings.

man, those are too cool! wonder how many are still out there in working order?!

The way I understand it in speaking with Arron (a Unertl 10x scope builder) from Unertl...the base scope was chrome coated with an added flat phosphate type finish . The finish came off easily as you can see in pictures of used scopes. They are usually silver with most of the flat finish removed through either cleaning and/or use.

Thanks. I'd like to hear more details on the process, as I was an electroplater in the 1980s and as far as I knew a phosphate finish would not take to chrome. Either way, black chrome isn't durable either, if that's what was used.

Here is the one I got from DRMO when I was Active Duty. The 1348 said it had excessive parallax. I adjusted the parallax on the front ring for 300yds and had Unertl in Mars, PA (I thought the guys name was Archie?? looked it over, re-rounded the ocular bell (had a dent) and re-inerted it with Nitrogen. Cost me $300 in 2004 and I had since retired. The then-head of USMC Infantry Weps asked for it back as they were low on serviceable scopes (2004). He (Maj. Manning) assured me I could apply for its return when they were obsoleted by the S&Bs. When I applied for its return in 2009, the now-civilian puke in charge of USMC Optics and Non-Lethal said "Too bad, so sad" No record of it and since I wasn't in a unit that was supposed to have it, he had no reason to return it. My next step is to contact my Senator, but that's Toomey ... FML. I still have my paperwork. Its serial # is 1857

afc48afa-693c-4852-a35d-2f2807f0c726_zpsdc883e8a.jpg

I have seen USMC issued 10x Unertls marked "USMC" NOT "USMC SNIPER" simply "USMC"

That's odd. Are you sure it wasn't just filled in with paint, or are you talking about the old, externally adjustable scopes?

My cousin has one of these old scopes mounted on his Winchester model 52B, 22LR...it is an externally adjusted scope with USMC Sniper stamped on it. The crosshairs are very thin with a small dot where they cross. It worked very well on sage rats last weekend. :D

My cousin has one of these old scopes mounted on his Winchester model 52B, 22LR...it is an externally adjusted scope with USMC Sniper stamped on it. The crosshairs are very thin with a small dot where they cross. It worked very well on sage rats last weekend. :D

If this is true you better tell your cousin he has a $5000.00 + scope on that .22

I believe you John L, this scope is ancient and my cousin and I have been shooting that rifle since we were wee lads (back in the late 60's). It's quite a collectors item, I understand.
Thanks for the info, I know he'd never sell it though...lots of sentimental value on that peice.
Thanks again!!
Steve

Here is the one I got from DRMO when I was Active Duty. The 1348 said it had excessive parallax. I adjusted the parallax on the front ring for 300yds and had Unertl in Mars, PA (I thought the guys name was Archie?? looked it over, re-rounded the ocular bell (had a dent) and re-inerted it with Nitrogen. Cost me $300 in 2004 and I had since retired. The then-head of USMC Infantry Weps asked for it back as they were low on serviceable scopes (2004). He (Maj. Manning) assured me I could apply for its return when they were obsoleted by the S&Bs. When I applied for its return in 2009, the now-civilian puke in charge of USMC Optics and Non-Lethal said "Too bad, so sad" No record of it and since I wasn't in a unit that was supposed to have it, he had no reason to return it. My next step is to contact my Senator, but that's Toomey ... FML. I still have my paperwork. Its serial # is 1857

afc48afa-693c-4852-a35d-2f2807f0c726_zpsdc883e8a.jpg

Never let a good deed go unpunished.