Type A rifles ( BG Defense )....anybody running 1 of them

holy cow

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Apr 22, 2010
South East Ohio
I recently had a custom AR15 put together. I bought a upper receiver and rail from Type A rifles ( BG Defense ) and sent all the upper parts to Compass Lake Engineering to have them put together a 223 on a Krieger they did for me. I really like the quality of the rail and receiver I used for them. Nice thing is they cerekoted the parts as part of the price I paid for them. The only thing I have seen is utube stuff about them. Have heard nothing but good things so far and just about all the parts they use on their rifles are made in house.

So....anybody here running 1 of their rifles? I ask because I am in the market for another AR15 but will buy 1 already built. I am down to 3 rifles I am only interested in and all 3 come in at about the same price. I am looking at the JP Professional, ADM UCI or the Type A rifle they do called Pro in the 13.7 rifle they build. I have spoke with them on the phone and they seem like some good guys to work with and make some solid stuff.

bigmatt17073

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
Michigan
They are based in Michigan so almost every LGS around here carries them. I haven't heard anything bad about them, and probably watched some of the same YouTube vids as you. I liked what they did and ordered myself a 13.7 Pro in multiple shades of FDE in January of 2021. The quoted lead time was 16-24 weeks. ......... I'm still waiting.

Jeremyhunter

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Oct 29, 2021
Colorado Springs CO
I ordered a 12.5 contractor and waited a couple weeks shy of a year for it to ship. Definitely worth it. The trigger is awesome, and i wouldn't replace it with anything. I have Triggertech diamonds, giesslle NM, ect. It's super flat shooting. I'm a big fan of the slim rail too. Oh and a side note, they shipped in a pretty sick savior case, which wasn't on the website and a nice surprise.

Attachments

• 20211114_143500.jpg
    20211114_143500.jpg
    994 KB · Views: 122

saberwalk

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2021
Laytonsville, MD
+1 for Type A. Waited a while for my pinned and welded 14.5 contractor. Fit and finish is top notch. Only had it out to 100 yards but shooting 1/2 MOA groups with 77 grain (IMI Razor Core). Liked it so much, I just ordered a 12.5” contractor with the law folder.

Reactions: Jeremyhunter

holy cow

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Apr 22, 2010
South East Ohio
I am getting ready to break down and order 1 of the new billet upper and lower receiver rifles. Talked with them about 2 months ago about some changes on the 1 I want to do. They seem like some really good people to deal with that make some exceptional rifles.

holy cow

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Apr 22, 2010
South East Ohio
Yea.......that will be next. Watched some stuff on TV. They are doing some killer stuff.

saberwalk

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2021
Laytonsville, MD
you Won’t be disappointed. I have a KAC SR15 and the upper and lower receiver Are nowhere near as tight as the Type A. Good tactile feel on the controls as well. Just waiting on my SAKER ASR. ITSCA my only regret..I should have considered a more “universal” QD but not losing much sleep over it.

bohica17

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Supporter+
May 17, 2011
Canal Winchester Ohio
you Won’t be disappointed. I have a KAC SR15 and the upper and lower receiver Are nowhere near as tight as the Type A. Good tactile feel on the controls as well. Just waiting on my SAKER ASR. ITSCA my only regret..I should have considered a more “universal” QD but not losing much sleep over it.
I saker k. Lot of hate lately on it and silencerco. But I’m happy with mine I’m sure you will be as well

Jeremyhunter

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Oct 29, 2021
Colorado Springs CO
I've been using the asr system for years. Yeah keymo is cool taper mounts are dope too. But they all work. And if switching and having one system over another is huge deal, so be it. But it's never been a big deal to me.

bigmatt17073

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
Michigan
They are based in Michigan so almost every LGS around here carries them. I haven't heard anything bad about them, and probably watched some of the same YouTube vids as you. I liked what they did and ordered myself a 13.7 Pro in multiple shades of FDE in January of 2021. The quoted lead time was 16-24 weeks. ......... I'm still waiting.

I finally got the call my rifle was at the local FFL.. 18 month wait. I have picked it up and put everything on it, but I haven't been able to shoot it yet. Hopefully, I get a chance this next weekend.

IMG_2385.jpg

Reactions: Jeremyhunter

jholtz

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2022
Michigan
Nice, man they must really be back logged to take a year and a half to get 1.
I’m not sure if you’re in Michigan or not, but as someone else mentioned earlier, most shops carry them. My shop in Ann Arbor (Ann Arbor Arms) always has several of them on the shelf and that’s how I bought mine. Unless you want it special order, that’s the best way to get one quickly. They’ll ship it to your local shop too. I love all three of mine.

Reactions: SBRSarge

Molon

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
This tells me all I need to know about their barrels . . .

TYPE-A Rifles

https://bgdefense.com/product/type-a-10-5-car-m4-profile-barrel-nitride/

Our TYPE-A barrels are guaranteed to give sub Minute of Angle (MOA) accuracy with match grade ammunition.

Sub MOA is defined as a 3 shot magazine feed or 5 shot single loaded group size of 1 inch or under at 100 yards.

Ballistic Advantage

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/sub-moa

All Ballistic Advantage barrels are guaranteed to give sub Minute of Angle (MOA) accuracy with match grade ammunition.

We define sub MOA as a group size of 1 inch or under at 100 yards with a 3 shot magazine fed group, or 5 shot single loaded group factory ammo.

jholtz

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2022
Michigan
This tells me all I need to know about their barrels . . .

TYPE-A Rifles

https://bgdefense.com/product/type-a-10-5-car-m4-profile-barrel-nitride/

Our TYPE-A barrels are guaranteed to give sub Minute of Angle (MOA) accuracy with match grade ammunition.

Sub MOA is defined as a 3 shot magazine feed or 5 shot single loaded group size of 1 inch or under at 100 yards.

Ballistic Advantage

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/sub-moa

All Ballistic Advantage barrels are guaranteed to give sub Minute of Angle (MOA) accuracy with match grade ammunition.

We define sub MOA as a group size of 1 inch or under at 100 yards with a 3 shot magazine fed group, or 5 shot single loaded group factory ammo.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but your comment is pretty vague. It appears that you're suggesting that the TYPE-A Rifles buy BA barrels for their builds. If that's what you are saying, then I wanted to clarify that they do not. BG Defense manufactures the majority of all their rifles in house in their facility in Grand Rapids. I even called before typing this reply and I spoke with Brandon from BG Defense and he confirmed that they do not buy anyone else's barrels for their guns and all of their barrels are made in house. You can call them at (616) 710-0609 and ask them anything as they are very helpful and will take them time to answer any questions you have. They really do make an incredible gun.

Last edited:

Molon

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
I don't want to put words in your mouth, but your comment is pretty vague. It appears that you're suggesting that the TYPE-A Rifles buy BA barrels for their builds.
Nope, that's not what I said.

TheMammoth

Overton goes Right
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Feb 14, 2017
I don't want to put words in your mouth, but your comment is pretty vague. It appears that you're suggesting that the TYPE-A Rifles buy BA barrels for their builds. If that's what you are saying, then I wanted to clarify that they do not. BG Defense manufactures the majority of all their rifles in house in their facility in Grand Rapids. I even called before typing this reply and I spoke with Brandon from BG Defense and he confirmed that they do not buy anyone else's barrels for their guns and all of their barrels are made in house. You can call them at (616) 710-0609 and ask them anything as they are very helpful and will take them time to answer any questions you have. They really do make an incredible gun.
Whose blanks are they using? Genuine question.

jholtz

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2022
Michigan
Whose blanks are they using? Genuine question.
Hi TheMammoth. My understanding after talking to their rep is that they literally machine everything there from solid stock. He specifically clarified they don’t use anyone else’s barrels, which is a big reason why manufacturing times can take a while.

TheMammoth

Overton goes Right
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Feb 14, 2017
Hi TheMammoth. My understanding after talking to their rep is that they literally machine everything there from solid stock. He specifically clarified they don’t use anyone else’s barrels, which is a big reason why manufacturing times can take a while.
Seems pretty unlikely for such a small place doesn't it? If so that is pretty impressive. I might buy a barrel just to check it out.

Reactions: RUTGERS95

Mike_in_FL

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Feb 29, 2008
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Okay, so what are you saying?

I don't want to put words in his mouth either but it seems to me he said their accuracy guarantee is exactly the same as BA. So, expect BA performance from their barrel, not Krieger.

jholtz

Private
    Minuteman
    Aug 23, 2022
    Michigan
    I don't want to put words in his mouth either but it seems to me he said their accuracy guarantee is exactly the same as BA. So, expect BA performance from their barrel, not Krieger.
    I suppose that’s what he meant, but I’m not going to lose sleep trying to figure out if that was it or not. I gave BG Defense’s phone number in a previous comment, so I guess if anyone is really that concerned about their barrels, they can call and ask all the questions they need to about them. They don’t use anyone else’s barrels and make their own from solid stock. That’s all I can tell anyone about them. They’re solid rifles and I love mine.

Johnblaze678

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 12, 2022
    NC
    I've been running my Type A since before the pandemic. I have some gucci blasters, and this easily sits up there with them.
    IMG_20220905_165330_566.jpg

iOdysseus

Private
    Minuteman
    Dec 12, 2018
    I would be surprised if there was even one company that makes “everything” in house. As far as these guys making anything in house, I’d be very surprised. How does it take 18 months to deliver a rifle if you’re making the majority of parts in house?

holy cow

Gunny Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Apr 22, 2010
    South East Ohio
    I have talked with them several times and was told most all of their parts are made in house. I guess to really know you would have to take a tour of their facility to find out.

bigmatt17073

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 21, 2013
    Michigan
    I would be surprised if there was even one company that makes “everything” in house. As far as these guys making anything in house, I’d be very surprised. How does it take 18 months to deliver a rifle if you’re making the majority of parts in house?

The company only has so many CNC machines. I heard a few things from dealers and from the company themselves about some of the length of time. From a dealer I heard they were making 4K rifles a year, but then 20/21 timeframe they received orders for 40K rifles. The rifles are anodized and then cerakoted over that. They don't do the anodization process themselves and they farm that out to another company. The turnaround time use to be 2 weeks then it went up to 8-16 weeks turnaround time.

They don't make the obvious parts of stock and grip, Law folder, and the Superlative Arms gas block featured on some models. I think they buy buffer assemblies, gas tube, springs, etc. The rest is made in house.