• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Type A rifles ( BG Defense )....anybody running 1 of them

holy cow

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 22, 2010
    South East Ohio
    I recently had a custom AR15 put together. I bought a upper receiver and rail from Type A rifles ( BG Defense ) and sent all the upper parts to Compass Lake Engineering to have them put together a 223 on a Krieger they did for me. I really like the quality of the rail and receiver I used for them. Nice thing is they cerekoted the parts as part of the price I paid for them. The only thing I have seen is utube stuff about them. Have heard nothing but good things so far and just about all the parts they use on their rifles are made in house.

So....anybody here running 1 of their rifles? I ask because I am in the market for another AR15 but will buy 1 already built. I am down to 3 rifles I am only interested in and all 3 come in at about the same price. I am looking at the JP Professional, ADM UCI or the Type A rifle they do called Pro in the 13.7 rifle they build. I have spoke with them on the phone and they seem like some good guys to work with and make some solid stuff.

They are based in Michigan so almost every LGS around here carries them. I haven't heard anything bad about them, and probably watched some of the same YouTube vids as you. I liked what they did and ordered myself a 13.7 Pro in multiple shades of FDE in January of 2021. The quoted lead time was 16-24 weeks. ......... I'm still waiting.

I ordered a 12.5 contractor and waited a couple weeks shy of a year for it to ship. Definitely worth it. The trigger is awesome, and i wouldn't replace it with anything. I have Triggertech diamonds, giesslle NM, ect. It's super flat shooting. I'm a big fan of the slim rail too. Oh and a side note, they shipped in a pretty sick savior case, which wasn't on the website and a nice surprise.

Attachments

• 20211114_143500.jpg
      20211114_143500.jpg
      994 KB · Views: 498
    +1 for Type A. Waited a while for my pinned and welded 14.5 contractor. Fit and finish is top notch. Only had it out to 100 yards but shooting 1/2 MOA groups with 77 grain (IMI Razor Core). Liked it so much, I just ordered a 12.5” contractor with the law folder.

Reactions: Jeremyhunter
    I am getting ready to break down and order 1 of the new billet upper and lower receiver rifles. Talked with them about 2 months ago about some changes on the 1 I want to do. They seem like some really good people to deal with that make some exceptional rifles.

you Won’t be disappointed. I have a KAC SR15 and the upper and lower receiver Are nowhere near as tight as the Type A. Good tactile feel on the controls as well. Just waiting on my SAKER ASR. ITSCA my only regret..I should have considered a more “universal” QD but not losing much sleep over it.

you Won’t be disappointed. I have a KAC SR15 and the upper and lower receiver Are nowhere near as tight as the Type A. Good tactile feel on the controls as well. Just waiting on my SAKER ASR. ITSCA my only regret..I should have considered a more “universal” QD but not losing much sleep over it.
    I saker k. Lot of hate lately on it and silencerco. But I’m happy with mine I’m sure you will be as well

I've been using the asr system for years. Yeah keymo is cool taper mounts are dope too. But they all work. And if switching and having one system over another is huge deal, so be it. But it's never been a big deal to me.

They are based in Michigan so almost every LGS around here carries them. I haven't heard anything bad about them, and probably watched some of the same YouTube vids as you. I liked what they did and ordered myself a 13.7 Pro in multiple shades of FDE in January of 2021. The quoted lead time was 16-24 weeks. ......... I'm still waiting.

I finally got the call my rifle was at the local FFL.. 18 month wait. I have picked it up and put everything on it, but I haven't been able to shoot it yet. Hopefully, I get a chance this next weekend.

IMG_2385.jpg

Reactions: Jeremyhunter
    Nice, man they must really be back logged to take a year and a half to get 1.
    I’m not sure if you’re in Michigan or not, but as someone else mentioned earlier, most shops carry them. My shop in Ann Arbor (Ann Arbor Arms) always has several of them on the shelf and that’s how I bought mine. Unless you want it special order, that’s the best way to get one quickly. They’ll ship it to your local shop too. I love all three of mine.

Reactions: SBRSarge
    This tells me all I need to know about their barrels . . .

TYPE-A Rifles

https://bgdefense.com/product/type-a-10-5-car-m4-profile-barrel-nitride/

Our TYPE-A barrels are guaranteed to give sub Minute of Angle (MOA) accuracy with match grade ammunition.

Sub MOA is defined as a 3 shot magazine feed or 5 shot single loaded group size of 1 inch or under at 100 yards.

Ballistic Advantage

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/sub-moa

All Ballistic Advantage barrels are guaranteed to give sub Minute of Angle (MOA) accuracy with match grade ammunition.

We define sub MOA as a group size of 1 inch or under at 100 yards with a 3 shot magazine fed group, or 5 shot single loaded group factory ammo.

Reactions: tsavo303
    This tells me all I need to know about their barrels . . .

TYPE-A Rifles

https://bgdefense.com/product/type-a-10-5-car-m4-profile-barrel-nitride/

Our TYPE-A barrels are guaranteed to give sub Minute of Angle (MOA) accuracy with match grade ammunition.

Sub MOA is defined as a 3 shot magazine feed or 5 shot single loaded group size of 1 inch or under at 100 yards.

Ballistic Advantage

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/sub-moa

All Ballistic Advantage barrels are guaranteed to give sub Minute of Angle (MOA) accuracy with match grade ammunition.

We define sub MOA as a group size of 1 inch or under at 100 yards with a 3 shot magazine fed group, or 5 shot single loaded group factory ammo.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but your comment is pretty vague. It appears that you're suggesting that the TYPE-A Rifles buy BA barrels for their builds. If that's what you are saying, then I wanted to clarify that they do not. BG Defense manufactures the majority of all their rifles in house in their facility in Grand Rapids. I even called before typing this reply and I spoke with Brandon from BG Defense and he confirmed that they do not buy anyone else's barrels for their guns and all of their barrels are made in house. You can call them at (616) 710-0609 and ask them anything as they are very helpful and will take them time to answer any questions you have. They really do make an incredible gun.

Last edited:
    I don't want to put words in your mouth, but your comment is pretty vague. It appears that you're suggesting that the TYPE-A Rifles buy BA barrels for their builds.
    Nope, that's not what I said.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but your comment is pretty vague. It appears that you're suggesting that the TYPE-A Rifles buy BA barrels for their builds. If that's what you are saying, then I wanted to clarify that they do not. BG Defense manufactures the majority of all their rifles in house in their facility in Grand Rapids. I even called before typing this reply and I spoke with Brandon from BG Defense and he confirmed that they do not buy anyone else's barrels for their guns and all of their barrels are made in house. You can call them at (616) 710-0609 and ask them anything as they are very helpful and will take them time to answer any questions you have. They really do make an incredible gun.
    Whose blanks are they using? Genuine question.

Whose blanks are they using? Genuine question.
    Hi TheMammoth. My understanding after talking to their rep is that they literally machine everything there from solid stock. He specifically clarified they don’t use anyone else’s barrels, which is a big reason why manufacturing times can take a while.

Hi TheMammoth. My understanding after talking to their rep is that they literally machine everything there from solid stock. He specifically clarified they don’t use anyone else’s barrels, which is a big reason why manufacturing times can take a while.
    Seems pretty unlikely for such a small place doesn't it? If so that is pretty impressive. I might buy a barrel just to check it out.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
    I don't want to put words in his mouth either but it seems to me he said their accuracy guarantee is exactly the same as BA. So, expect BA performance from their barrel, not Krieger.
    I suppose that’s what he meant, but I’m not going to lose sleep trying to figure out if that was it or not. I gave BG Defense’s phone number in a previous comment, so I guess if anyone is really that concerned about their barrels, they can call and ask all the questions they need to about them. They don’t use anyone else’s barrels and make their own from solid stock. That’s all I can tell anyone about them. They’re solid rifles and I love mine.

I've been running my Type A since before the pandemic. I have some gucci blasters, and this easily sits up there with them.
    IMG_20220905_165330_566.jpg

Reactions: Bluedog82
    I would be surprised if there was even one company that makes “everything” in house. As far as these guys making anything in house, I’d be very surprised. How does it take 18 months to deliver a rifle if you’re making the majority of parts in house?

I have talked with them several times and was told most all of their parts are made in house. I guess to really know you would have to take a tour of their facility to find out.

I would be surprised if there was even one company that makes “everything” in house. As far as these guys making anything in house, I’d be very surprised. How does it take 18 months to deliver a rifle if you’re making the majority of parts in house?

The company only has so many CNC machines. I heard a few things from dealers and from the company themselves about some of the length of time. From a dealer I heard they were making 4K rifles a year, but then 20/21 timeframe they received orders for 40K rifles. The rifles are anodized and then cerakoted over that. They don't do the anodization process themselves and they farm that out to another company. The turnaround time use to be 2 weeks then it went up to 8-16 weeks turnaround time.

They don't make the obvious parts of stock and grip, Law folder, and the Superlative Arms gas block featured on some models. I think they buy buffer assemblies, gas tube, springs, etc. The rest is made in house.

Now that it's been another year, are these BG rifles [and their pistols for that matter] still considered a good buy in their price range? Why should someone buy one of these over other well known high end manufactured with significant track records?

So I had a recent experience with their 15.1” recce barrel. I said why not since it’s a 300 dollarish barrel and CLE stopped taking orders. Took it to the range and shot 10 rounds of 55gr pmc through it just to get it warmed up. Then shot some black hills 77gr and ADI 69gr SMK which can hold sub moa even in a DD chrome lined barrel. I wasn’t impressed. Then tried some of my hand loads that are also pretty good in my other rifle and it got even worse. Finally got curious enough to take apart the rifle and Inspect the barrel. Flashlight down the chamber revealed that the shoulder area of the chamber was just staggered lines and not polished or smoothed out. This also may be why I was having extremely erratic gas issues which I just assumed was the aem5 doing aem5 stuff. Anyways here’s some pictures. Sent the barrel back to them today to see what they say about it. Hoping best case I got a lemon and their others are better or I just get a refund.

Attachments

• FFDE2265-D53F-4148-9B08-DD689C20FE30.jpeg
      FFDE2265-D53F-4148-9B08-DD689C20FE30.jpeg
      300.1 KB · Views: 34
    • IMG_2697.jpeg
      IMG_2697.jpeg
      747.6 KB · Views: 31
    • IMG_2698.jpeg
      IMG_2698.jpeg
      664.7 KB · Views: 30
    Last edited:
    • Sad
    Reactions: Mike_in_FL
    They recieved the barrel I sent in the 14th of February and got an email saying it takes a bit to get to the 100 yard range to test the barrel. Still haven’t heard anything since as of today.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mike_in_FL
    So I had a recent experience with their 15.1” recce barrel. I said why not since it’s a 300 dollarish barrel and CLE stopped taking orders. Took it to the range and shot 10 rounds of 55gr pmc through it just to get it warmed up. Then shot some black hills 77gr and ADI 69gr SMK which can hold sub moa even in a DD chrome lined barrel. I wasn’t impressed. Then tried some of my hand loads that are also pretty good in my other rifle and it got even worse. Finally got curious enough to take apart the rifle and Inspect the barrel. Flashlight down the chamber revealed that the shoulder area of the chamber was just staggered lines and not polished or smoothed out. This also may be why I was having extremely erratic gas issues which I just assumed was the aem5 doing aem5 stuff. Anyways here’s some pictures. Sent the barrel back to them today to see what they say about it. Hoping best case I got a lemon and their others are better or I just get a refund.
    These were also of a bench using sandbags and a 2-10 scope.

Has anyone else here purchased their barrels or rifles and done grouping drills with them? It’s been a month after returning my barrel and heard nothing about them
    looking into it. Seems weird to me that a high end weapon manufacturer cannot check out a barrel within a month for a customer. Gonna give it one more week and just ask for a refund. Not worth the hassle at this point to get a factory 15.1”. I’ll just have a Douglas cut down

What is a grouping drill?
    And what kind of accuracy were you getting?

Has anyone else here purchased their barrels or rifles and done grouping drills with them? It’s been a month after returning my barrel and heard nothing about them
    looking into it. Seems weird to me that a high end weapon manufacturer cannot check out a barrel within a month for a customer. Gonna give it one more week and just ask for a refund. Not worth the hassle at this point to get a factory 15.1”. I’ll just have a Douglas cut down
    Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. I have typically found them to be very responsive though email can and unfortunately does fall through the cracks. As noted above, I have a 14.5 and 12.5 contractor from BG defense. Using IWI 77 gr. razor core to 100 regularly get less than MOA groups whether 3, 5 or larger amounts of rounds. Won't be at the range for a couple of weeks but can upload photos then. I am running a 1X8 LPVO, which is hard for me to sight in with on small targets but still get that grouping. It's been a while since I used 55 grain so can't comment on how these rifles perform with that weight. Note that the grouping is the same suppressed or unsuppressed. I have also shot them out to 200 and 300 yards to 4 inch steel targets-- this is on a bench with a bipod, with similar results in terms of consistency (not tracking groups obviously).

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. I have typically found them to be very responsive though email can and unfortunately does fall through the cracks. As noted above, I have a 14.5 and 12.5 contractor from BG defense. Using IWI 77 gr. razor core to 100 regularly get less than MOA groups whether 3, 5 or larger amounts of rounds. Won't be at the range for a couple of weeks but can upload photos then. I am running a 1X8 LPVO, which is hard for me to sight in with on small targets but still get that grouping. It's been a while since I used 55 grain so can't comment on how these rifles perform with that weight. Note that the grouping is the same suppressed or unsuppressed. I have also shot them out to 200 and 300 yards to 4 inch steel targets-- this is on a bench with a bipod, with similar results in terms of consistency (not tracking groups obviously).
    Good to hear, I’m trying to be patient and let them take their time. I’m sure they’re a busy company. At first I figured it was my hand loads but then trying the ADI 69gr is what surprised me the most because that shoots great through any rifle. Hopefully I hear back soon.

Good to hear, I’m trying to be patient and let them take their time. I’m sure they’re a busy company. At first I figured it was my hand loads but then trying the ADI 69gr is what surprised me the most because that shoots great through any rifle. Hopefully I hear back soon.
    Understood. I see that you are in Nevada. Don‘t forget that Michigan is still getting snow so unless they have access to an indoor 100 yard range I can see why it might take some effort to get to one assuming it is nearby. That said, you paid hard earned money for the barrel so checking back for an update in a couple of weeks does not seem unreasonable to me.

Well it’s 6 weeks since they recieved my barrel. Was told I was getting a replacement sent on 3/18 after asking for a refund. As of today I’ve had shipping label created but no pick up for the last two days and no money or barrel to speak for. Just seems sketchy like they don’t have a barrel supply and can’t even give me a $300 dollar refund.

Last edited: