• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

U.S. Army/Navy/USMC M14-based sniper and DMR/SDM rifles circa late-1960s to late 201Xs

Thanks, much appreciated. I'm always trying to learn more, esp if you dig up any references to the XM25 or M25, given that history is not well documented and its an enigma of sorts...

Hubbard's on the west coast and I'm on the east, but I have seen a pic on the web of one of the 36 or so DMRs he built for deployment (probably 2004 picture, but might be a little later as well). I like how he painted the handguard's to match the camo pattern on the stock:
View attachment 7519695
I understand this is him electro-stenciling the serial number on the mount to match the M14 rifle after he built them.
View attachment 7519698

A forum member in his neck of the woods is in the process of getting an replica built of that rifle.
My USMC DMR will have to suffice re this niche, as I still have a few other M1A projects underway.
Nearly done. Krieger is on the way and then it's sourcing an op rod to make it as "100% USGI" as possible. Handguard will get painted once we have less than 200% humidity.
Working on sourcing a cheek piece. Worst case, I'll make one. This is a loooooong time coming.
Screenshot_20210103-140434_Messenger.jpg

Upon further review, I'm pretty sure the guy without the shirt is Dave M. Brian didn't have arms that size. Dave did.

The Army Reserve up in Pennsylvania had a number of their team shooters do their magic to a bunch of rack M14s taken out of Anniston storage to look like this using Brookfield mounts and Leupold M3s and M3LRs for their deployments 2005 and 2006:

iu

The USAMU did Anniston war-storage rifle pre-deployment servicing for a few units 2003-2006. Some had perfect furniture and finishes (Old Guard rifles?) but grouped 7 MOA with white-box M852 Match.

Very nice builds.
Bottom is circa 1989-1990 to mid-1990s
Middle (grey stock) is circa 1996 to early 2000s
Top (tan stock) is circa early 2000s to about 2011. (NECC)

Just need to put the scopes on them...thanks for the pics.

Love the M-14. Below is my IDF sniper.
View attachment 7511023

View attachment 7511026

View attachment 7511028

View attachment 7511029

Here is my M25. I was a Team Leader in 10th SFG while this was being developed. Almost solely the work of SFC Kapp who left my team to work on this project.

View attachment 7511030

View attachment 7511031

View attachment 7511032

View attachment 7511038
Sir could you please tell me the manufacturer of the suppressor on the M25.

Thanks,
Cold

I built the suppressor myself on a Form 1.

So it looks like the Sionics unit, with the vent. If I may, is the vent actually functional? I never really understood it unless they didn’t want to mess with the gas system to deal with the pressure on the op rod to aid in functionality with the can off.

TBAC built a one-off for another SH regular. They made it off of a 30-P1. I think I recall a conversation with Ron Allen that the “newer” cans were AEM5-30s.

You guys never cease to amaze me. I love the way this thread has gone.

I built the suppressor myself on a Form 1.
I hate to keep hashing and re-hashing the same pic:
1612625250605.png

But, note there are no suppressors on these rifles. This is the only configuration I ever saw these issued out of an arms room. And, these are the only sniper rifles I remember seeing at the 1st Ranger BN in the early '80's.

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
I PERSONALLY USED A SIONICS SUPPRESSOR ON OUR M25 SYSTEM IN 10TH GROUP. The M25 was not available to anyone outside 10th gp and was based on the M21. The rifle I built in the photo is a near copy of what I used while team leader of SFODA-075. The vent on the Sionics is, of course functional. I played with a vent on mine, but saw no need, so it is not functional.
1612627065773.png

The Sionics suppressor was used on the M14 before any official sniper variant existed.
1612626968106.png

Last edited:
The first time I ever saw an M14 based sniper rifle was with a USAF EOD unit in Alaska. They were using it for remote det of C4. That was in 2002 or so.

The most recent time was in 2010 in Afghanistan with some of my fellow squids. The Frogs had them in their TOC, but I don't think they were using them against the enemy. Just old crap laying around.

I am not a frogman, I was doing support back then.

I don't know what happened, I thought I posted to this. Anyhow, wasn't the M21 used as a prototype for the M25?

And, the point of my last post was that the 1st Ranger BN. did not issue the Sionics suppressors that I ever saw. With any company. I can't say about the 2nd Ranger BN or (beginning in 1984) the 3rd Ranger BN. I'm not saying they didn't exist, or were not used.

The most recent time was in 2010 in Afghanistan with some of my fellow squids. The Frogs had them in their TOC, but I don't think they were using them against the enemy. Just old crap laying around.
Interesting, may I ask what kind of stock they had? Was it a grey SAGE chassis w/ tan parts (including an integrated bipod)? or the earlier Mk 14 Mod 0 that had a grey SAGE chasiss without all the tan parts, or perhaps a tan fiberglass McMillan stock like used on the SSR? Any recollections are appreciated. My guess is that the last M14s used by NSW/SEALs were probably the Mk14 Mod 1 rifles that had a distinct SAGE chassis, as seen here:
USN-MK14-MOD-1.jpg

Switching subjects:
Anyhow, wasn't the M21 used as a prototype for the M25?
I think that was an honest typo. The XM21 designation occurred in Sept 1969, and the rifle became a standard item in 1972 as the M21.

The XM25 was of course a much later development based on the McMillan fiberglass M1A stock and other mods developed in the 1980s. So it was presented as a "Product Improved M21" in the late 1980s. The XM25 was a developed by Tom Kapp (10th SFG) with assistance from Mitch Mateiko, owner of Brookfield Precision Tool (BPT). I understand this is a picture from 1988 with Mitch holding the prototype XM25, at the Curry range at Ft Devens, MA.
Mitch_protoype_XM25_1988.jpg

Fwiw, I am currently building an early XM25 replica, which will use a 'Gen 1' McMillan stock with a woodland 'smear' pattern. I did a mock-up of it the other day to fit the faux selector button & connector rod. The BPT stock liner is not yet bedded in the stock, but I took a couple of pics of the mock-up:
XM25_smear_mock-up_rt1.jpg

Left side with BPT scope mount and M3A scope....still a work in process for 2021, but slowly coming together.
Early_McMillan_woodland_smear_left_side1.jpg

Last edited:
Went through Basic @ Ft. Benning in 1968. (Sand Hill)
We were issued M14’s for rifle range training.
(Selector was capped - dumb trainees would have wreaked havoc otherwise)
I really liked the M14, outstanding.
Was surprised that some people on the firing line had never held or operated a weapon before.
I was trained in shooting as soon as I was old enough to respond to voice commands, so the M14 was easy for me to figure out.
Shot “Expert rifleman” with it.
(Lost all my awards and ribbons over 5+ decades of moving all over the place, wish I could show my kids).

Anyway, sometime in the 1990’s was missing the M14, needed a hobby.
Started shooting Service Rifle w/ an M1A Clint Fowler built for me.
(Krieger 1-10, adjustable gas system, double lugged, McMillan stock)

Later on, a local guy had an early S/N Springfield Armory M1A for sale.
I bought it and tried to make a replica of the one I had in the Army in the 60’s.
(Vented handguard is not what we were issued, I just like the way it looks)

M14 with mag and sling.jpg

Later on, a local guy had an early S/N Springfield Armory M1A for sale.
I bought it and tried to make a replica of the one I had in the Army in the 60’s.
(Vented handguard is not what we were issued, I just like the way it looks)

Looks good to me. I like the patina of your rifle. Its an old platform but I think they are neat.
I have an early SAI as well (7k serial range), made in 1977, which I built into a replica of a 1967 NM M14 a couple of years ago.
1967_NM_M14_replica_left_w_acc_sml.jpg

I also used the early vented handguard for aesthetics as well (and the faux selector button too):
13Replica_NM_rear_sights_right_sml.jpg

Thanks for sharing gents, what an awesome recollection of history in SO many ways!

Regarding the Sionics Suppressor, was this more of a test/proof of concept or were they reliable enough to be fielded?

Regarding the Sionics Suppressor, was this more of a test/proof of concept or were they reliable enough to be fielded?
They were first tested in Vietnam as early as 1968 on M14s, and by late 1969 they were extensively fielded. Lots of pictures of them on the net and in books, many are seen with the AN/PVS-2 Starlight night vision scope. The best book on their use with XM21s is Peter Senich's The Long-Range War (1994). He has a couple of chapters dedicated to the Sonics suppressors used in Vietnam on both the M14 (Chapter 4) and M16 (Chapter 5). One report noted "40" M14SS-1 suppressors were sent to Vietnam in early 1969 for the 9th Infantry Division, but it is likely hundreds were used by US Army sniper and certainly Special Forces. The manual for the M14 SS-1 suppressor is dated December 1969. The US Army TC 23-14, Sniper Training and Employment, dated October 1969 has a page of "Special Equipment" and the Sonics suppressor is shown on that page, etc. (See red arrow).

(One of these originals was sold on gunbroker last year, and a guy I know finally got it this month).

Attachments

• TC 23-14 cover.jpg
    TC 23-14 cover.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 146
  • TC 23-14 page 9.jpg
    TC 23-14 page 9.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 187
  • TC 23-14 page_11_Sonics_arrow.jpg
    TC 23-14 page_11_Sonics_arrow.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Is this just a rack grade Vietnam era M-14 with a Leupold on it?
Most likely, yes - but most M14s were rebuilt after the Vietnam war and given new barrels and other parts as needed. Roughly 100K+ rebuilt M14s went into long-term storage in the USA, principally at the U.S. Army depot at Anniston, AL. Tens of thousand of other M14s were either given to Israel; or sold to various other allies. They more or less sat in storage for 2 decades.

The US Army thought they were done with the M14 in the 1990s, but the conflicts in the early 200Xs in Afghanistan and Iraq resulted in a bunch of 'mission need statements' that forced the Army to reconsider limited use of the M14. They determined that the Army needed a bunch of 7.62 NATO Designated Marksman or Squad Designated Marksman rifles to engage targets well beyond the capabilities of the M16A2/M4 Carbine. So around 2003/4 they pulled thousands of rack-grade M14s out of storage (reportedly Anniston, AL) and units added all kinds of ad-hoc scopes and scope mounts to the M14 to increase its hit probability out to 600 meters or so. I understand that U.S. Army Units used their quasi-discretionary deployment funds to purchase whatever optic systems they could acquire for these rack grade M14 rifles. There was no standardization, hence the variety of optics seen in that era.

The rifle in the pic appears to have a very low scope rail, so probably an A.R.M.S. #18 mount with a Leupold 10X Mk 4 scope w/ M3 turrets and I think high height or ultra high height Leupold Tactical rings. I doubt that rifle was accurized, although I understand a small number of M14s pulled were former National Guard National Match M14 rifles that had been accurized as competition rifles, and subsequently pressed into combat service, but the vast majority were rack-grade.

(ON EDIT: I just noticed that the selector lock on that rifle has been spot-welded on the end to prevent the rifle from being used in select-fire/automatic mode. This procedure was done specifically on National Match M14s and M21s, so I think its quite possible that this was an accurized M14 that was pulled out of storage and used as a DRM/SDM rifle in the 200Xs. It might have a NM rear sight too, hard to say.)
M14_Iraq_DMR_rifle_welded_selector.jpg

The M21 rifles had been de-commissioned with the optics removed in the early 1990s and more or less lost to time due to disassembly or destruction, but a few rifles built by Smith Enterprises Inc into their M14 SE "Crazy Horse" were hand engraved "XM21" on the receiver heels, so those were former XM21s/M21s. (Many people call any M14 with an optic an "M21" but that is not correct, as M21s had unique build process to accurize them to NM standard, and as a consequence had unique NSN numbers.)

So it was a mixture, but according to most sources, Anniston had tens of thousands of rack-grade M14s that had been rebuilt into "Condition A" rifles back in the 1983-84 period, and then put into long-term storage...Many of those rifles were withdrawn in the 200Xs for combat use in Afghanistan and Iraq, and my guess is that is precisely what the rifle is in the above picture. Here's a good article from 2011 re this history of the M14 EBR-RI, which was a program to standardize the U.S. Army's 7.62 NATO SDM rifle as of 2009:

Last edited:
Most likely, yes - but most M14s were rebuilt after the Vietnam war and given new barrels and other parts as needed. Roughly 100K+ rebuilt M14s went into long-term storage in the USA, principally at the U.S. Army depot at Anniston, AL. Tens of thousand of other M14s were either given to Israel; or sold to various other allies. They more or less sat in storage for 2 decades.

The US Army thought they were done with the M14 in the 1990s, but the conflicts in the early 200Xs in Afghanistan and Iraqi resulted in a bunch of field requests that forced the Army to reconsider limited use of the M14. They quickly determined that the Army needed a bunch of 7.62 NATO Designated Marksman or Squad Designated Marksman rifles to engage targets well beyond the capabilities of the M16A2/A4. So around 2003 they pulled thousands of rack-grade M14s out of storage (reportedly Anniston, AL) and units added all kinds of ad-hoc scopes and scope mounts to the M14 to increase its hit probability out to 600 meters or so. I understand that U.S. Army Units used their quasi-discretionary deployment funds to purchase whatever optic systems they could acquire for these rack grade M14 rifles. There was no standardization, hence the variety of optics seen in that era.

The rifle in the pic appears to have a very low scope rail, so probably an A.R.M.S. #18 mount with a Leupold 10X Mk 4 scope w/ M3 turrets and I think high height or ultra high height Leupold Tactical rings. I doubt that rifle was accurized, although I understand a small number of M14s pulled were former National Guard National Match M14 rifles that had been accurized as competition rifles pressed into combat service, but the vast majority were rack-grade. The M21 rifles had been de-commissioned with the optics removed in the early 1990s and more or less lost to time due to disassembly or destruction, but a few rifles built by Smith Enterprises Inc into their M14 SE "Crazy Horse" were hand engraved "M21" on the receiver heels, so those were former M21s. (Many people call any M14 with an optic an "M21" but that is not correct, as M21s had unique build process to accurize them to NM standard, and as a consequence had unique NSN numbers.)

So it was a mixture, but according to most sources, Anniston had tens of thousands of rack-grade M14s that had been rebuilt into "Condition A" rifles back in the 1983-84 period, and then put into long-term storage...Many of those rifles were withdrawn in the 200Xs for combat use in Afghanistan and Iraq, and my guess is that is precisely what the rifle is in the above picture. Here's a good article from 2011 re this history of the M14 EBR-RI, which was a program to standardize the U.S. Army's 7.62 NATO SDM rifle as of 2009:

Thanks and that all makes sense.

That's what I was sort of wondering - all these pics you see of M14s with scopes on them in the early days of Operation Iraqi Freedom - the ones that are either in USGI spec wood stocks or USGI spec synthetic stocks, most of these would appear to be just standard M14s that were turned into DMRs with Leupold scopes with either Sadlak or A.R.M.S. mounts.

The US Army thought they were done with the M14 in the 1990s, but the conflicts in the early 200Xs in Afghanistan and Iraqi resulted in a bunch of field requests that forced the Army to reconsider limited use of the M14. They quickly determined that the Army needed a bunch of 7.62 NATO Designated Marksman or Squad Designated Marksman rifles to engage targets well beyond the capabilities of the M16A2/A4. So around 2003 they pulled thousands of rack-grade M14s out of storage (reportedly Anniston, AL) and units added all kinds of ad-hoc scopes and scope mounts to the M14 to increase its hit probability out to 600 meters or so. I understand that U.S. Army Units used their quasi-discretionary deployment funds to purchase whatever optic systems they could acquire for these rack grade M14 rifles. There was no standardization, hence the variety of optics seen in that era.

The rifle in the pic appears to have a very low scope rail, so probably an A.R.M.S. #18 mount with a Leupold 10X Mk 4 scope w/ M3 turrets and I think high height or ultra high height Leupold Tactical rings. I doubt that rifle was accurized, although I understand a small number of M14s pulled were former National Guard National Match M14 rifles that had been accurized as competition rifles pressed into combat service, but the vast majority were rack-grade. The M21 rifles had been de-commissioned with the optics removed in the early 1990s and more or less lost to time due to disassembly or destruction, but a few rifles built by Smith Enterprises Inc into their M14 SE "Crazy Horse" were hand engraved "M21" on the receiver heels, so those were former M21s. (Many people call any M14 with an optic an "M21" but that is not correct, as M21s had unique build process to accurize them to NM standard, and as a consequence had unique NSN numbers.)

Agreed, it's more than likely an M14 with a picatinny base and those are commercial rings. I don't know what the scope is.

Another thing with the M14's is Bush Sr. and Clinton each destroyed about 700K of them. I don't know how many in total were built but a 1.4m dent in their population had to be a lot.

Was looking at pictures (the few that exist anyway) of M25s and noticed a striking similarity between the B&L 10x40 and the SWFA SS HD 10x42:

Is it just a coincidence? Or do the designs overlap in any shape or form?

B&L:

m25navy.jpg

SWFA:

Q0o71vKFiZAfToGjeqIm9cYf1GXrJfJ75c1Wp9SqPL-tbldTMUH-Lc3l0FG5cylfRda6E0tgGzwuj3r17bYmpro_3UgMcBKZEYuJ1hmmrQ

That's what I was sort of wondering - all these pics you see of M14s with scopes on them in the early days of Operation Iraqi Freedom - the ones that are either in USGI spec wood stocks or USGI spec synthetic stocks, most of these would appear to be just standard M14s that were turned into DMRs with Leupold scopes with either Sadlak or A.R.M.S. mounts
Yes, and you also see them with the Knight's Armament Company rail that replaces the handguard (see attached), and other scopes, including 10X Tasco scopes, etc. I've also read about Pride Fowler scopes also being issued on M14s, but Leupold Mk4s are the most common as they usually had NSNs. SEI scope mounts are also seen as they have an NSN number and were available via the federal supply chain. I've seen ACOGs too of course.
Is it just a coincidence? Or do the designs overlap in any shape or form?
Like Tasco, I think Bushnell operated somewhat as a marketing/branding company with their Tactical scopes in the late 1980s to 1990s. The designs of those two scopes and most esp the turret design - are almost identical. In fact, a buddy of mine bought a used B&L 10x that had issues with the turret detents, but took apart the turret on his SWFA SS HD 10x42mm scope and sure enough, the internals of the turrets are identical and interchangeable, so he fixed his B&L for a retro project. To me, the SS HD 10x42mm is a good substitute for a retro project if the old B&L scope can't be located.

So my guess is that's its some large Japanese OEM scope manufacturer that make products for different companies. (Today's Athlon scopes are 95% identical to some Bushnell tactical scopes, it's the same company making them, IMO). I think this applied with respect to the old B&L Elite 4000 and current SWFA HD 10x scope. Here's some interesting info re the origins of SWFA back in 1993 via a Tasco scope that Crane ordered for their M14 rifles.
http://swfa-ss.com/history

Attachments

• The_Last_Steel_Warrior_2nd_cover.jpg
    The_Last_Steel_Warrior_2nd_cover.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Reactions: wayfaerer1
Is this just a rack grade Vietnam era M-14 with a Leupold on it?

Sniper_rifle.jpg
Some tell-tale things to look for on a match conditioned M-14 with a wood stock:
- the "ear" on the rear sight base, above the windage knob, has lettering. The only time they were marked was with "NM" (before the 1/2moa adjustable windage) or "NM/2A" which were 1/2moa adjustable. The windage knob would be similarly marked as it and the base would have 64tpi for the NM/2A sights.
- The stock liner screw has "goop" in it. That would either be grease from storage or bedding compound from match conditioning.
- The selector lock has been welded to the selector shaft. Normally only done on NM rifles.
- If you look at the rear of the rear sight ear, it looks like a NM 1/2moa hooded rear sight ... or a shadow
- The handguard looks to be clearanced from the stock forward of the oprod channel

The rifle has seen about 0 time outside of the armory. Magazine is near-mint, no duct tape on the sling to keep the frogs from slipping out of the holes, no paint, no scratches or dings ... anywhere. By the looks of the front of the oprod, I doubt it's even been zero'd. Not a brass mark to be seen.

Another thing with the M14's is Bush Sr. and Clinton each destroyed about 700K of them. I don't know how many in total were built but a 1.4m dent in their population had to be a lot.
I don't know how many obsolete WWII, Korean and Vietnam era machine guns and shoulder-fired destructive devices have been destroyed via orders of the Defense Logistics Agency over the past 5 or 6 decades, but since only 1.38M M14s were made from 1959-1964, it could not have equaled 1.4M that DLA de-milled. (Some people have the tendency to lump the M1 with the M14 - but the fact is the M1 Garand is NOT a machine gun, but the M14 was always designed as a machine gun and is categorized as select-fire by the military and ATF, so it gets lumped into the same category as old M16s, M60s, M2 50BMGs, M3 grease guns and other obsolete machine guns). Here's the agency that has a process for de-milling old and obsolete military equipment. https://www.dla.mil/HQ/LogisticsOperations/Services/FIC/DEMILCoding/

Just say'n.

In early 1993 just before I left the 2/325th AIR Sniper squad for the Q-course, we were directed to take our 9 M21s down to the 782nd Maintenance motor pool. There were watched a guy torch cut the receivers, then throw receiver heals in one pile and all the other parts into another pile. The US also transferred a large amount of M14s to the Estonians in the late 1990's early 2000's.

Last edited:
  • Sad
The first time I ever saw an M14 based sniper rifle was with a USAF EOD unit in Alaska. They were using it for remote det of C4. That was in 2002 or so.

I am not a frogman, I was doing support back then.
I’d love to get the build sheet on our USAF EOD M14 SMUD rife we used to have. I remember the walnut stock was fatter in the forened and we had Redfield 3x9 Illuminators in Brookfield mounts. It had the selector removed. Much later on, we got our hands on the Mk14 Mod 0 PJ variant. Those still had the fun switch installed.

I’d love to get the build sheet on our USAF EOD M14 SMUD rife we used to have.
The USAF M14 SMUD rifle is a bit of an enigma. I never could find pics of one, but I do know that its NSN was created in 1987 and it refers to a "Redfield 3-9x Widefield" scope. The only book that has some details that appears to answer your question is Lee Emerson's excellent reference series, M14 Rifle History and Development, Sixth Edition, Vol 1, pages 192-193. I think the last sentence is the closest I have found as to its configuration, and the "three point mount" is presumably the old Brookfield mount that you mentioned. Basically is sounds like a standard M14 that was glass-bedded into a heavy profile National Match wood stock, and equipped with a late 1980s era Redfield 3-9X Widefield scope and the old BPT scope mount. I hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_8647.jpg
    IMG_8647.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_8648.jpg
    IMG_8648.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I’d love to get the build sheet on our USAF EOD M14 SMUD rife we used to have. I remember the walnut stock was fatter in the forened and we had Redfield 3x9 Illuminators in Brookfield mounts. It had the selector removed. Much later on, we got our hands on the Mk14 Mod 0 PJ variant. Those still had the fun switch installed.
Maybe give Bill Walter down at Hurlburt a call. He is retired AFSOC, pretty heavily into USAF ordnance, including small arms and is a competitive shooter, so may be able to at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Can you still get the correct M25 McMillan stock from McMillan - with the selector cutout and all?

Are they still in production?

Are they still in production?
The original M1A stock is still on their website, but the company was recently sold to another entity - so you'd have to call and ask about
custom ordering an M1A stock with the M14 selector cut-out.
...IMO, it might be better to do a WTB ad for an old McMillan stock on the m14 forum, as the older McMillan stock have a different camo pattern and a subtle faux woodgrain in the surface finish, so a 20+ year old used stock might be better match for an late 1980s/early 1990s M25 replica. (At least that's what I did for my XM25 replica, which is the camo stock seen in this picture with the forest camo pattern seen in the early 1990s).

IMG_7763.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe give Bill Walter down at Hurlburt a call. He is retired AFSOC, pretty heavily into USAF ordnance, including small arms and is a competitive shooter, so may be able to at least get you pointed in the right direction.
If anybody knows, Bill does.

In 1988 there were only two civilian precision gunsmiths at Lackland, and their job was to do precision and competition weapons. Between the Olympic and Camp Perry shooters there would have been more than enough work, but a finite number of humans to actually put hands on hardware to build EOD rifles.

Looks like a legacy Surefire suppressor - an old FA762K?
It could be an old Surefire. I have not seen an M14 muzzle attachment for that unit, but I suspect they did make them at one point. It could also be a Smith Enterprise-based M14 DC ('Direct Connect') suppressor, as they sold quite a few to the US Army for use on M14s from 2004 to 2007. (Reportedly 2nd and 25th Infantry Divisions, 82nd and 101st Airborne units, etc). The 3rd/middle picture are Nevada NG M14s that were updated by SEI ~ 2010. Last pic has older model on top, newer model on bottom. Both require an SEI Vortex flash hider. FWIW: http://www.smithenterprise.com/products11.html

Attachments

• M21A5_group_pic.jpg
    M21A5_group_pic.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 185
  • The M14 Reborn_Page_2.png
    The M14 Reborn_Page_2.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 252
  • Nevada-NG_M21A5s.lg.jpg
    Nevada-NG_M21A5s.lg.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 310
  • M14 SEI_25th_Infantry _Division.jpg
    M14 SEI_25th_Infantry _Division.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 191
  • SEI Sound Suppressors.jpg
    SEI Sound Suppressors.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
It could be an old Surefire. I have not seen an M14 muzzle attachment for that unit, but I suspect they did make them at one point. It also be a Smith Enterprises 'Wind Talker' suppressor, as they sold quite a few to the US Army for use on M14s (25th Infantry Division and 101st Airborne, I think). Requires their Vortex flash hider. (see attached). http://www.smithenterprise.com/products11.html
Far from a solid piece of information to confirm/deny your assessment, but that Soldier is wearing aircrew/vehicle crew ACU pants. Might be a Stryker-borne infantryman from 1-25 SBCT, as I seem to remember them wearing those while I was attached in 2005.

Not sure how that timeframe fits with the suppressors being provided by Smith Enterprises, but figured I’d throw it out in case it jogs anything from others.

Attached is basically all I have re the SEI sound suppressors, which is what I suspect is in that picture, but with the camo paint job, one can't be sure.

Attachments

• SEI Sound Suppressor_info_2006.jpg
    SEI Sound Suppressor_info_2006.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 164
  • SEI_suppressor_refurbish.jpg
    SEI_suppressor_refurbish.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Lots of M14 knowledge in this thread.

This video was just released on Shugharts M14 from the Black Hawk Down incident.

Apparently there is debate on what specific variant was used.

Of note is the use of an aimpoint optic.

The initial use of the gun was to provide helicopter overwatch.

No idea what ammo would have been chosen for something like that.

Reactions: crackerbrown
This has to be the best thread I've ever read here on the Hide . An incredible amount of very valuable information and priceless images has been collected in these two pages.

This whole thing must be preserved for posterity. I've taken steps to print the whole thread to PDF so it can be reprinted. Paper lasts a lot longer than electrons and there is no telling how long this treasure trove will be available online. It is an incredible resource for future generations.

Thanks all for your valuable contributions!

All the best,

JAS-SH

Last edited:
Wow.
Truly epic piece here.
I read every word and studied every photo.
Time well spent!
Thank you all!

US Air Force Staff Sergeant Ace Jones (left) mans an M21 sniper rifle while SSGT Larry Knoll adjusts the scope of his M24. The team is in training at an Army sniper course at Sembach Army Annex, Germany. Photo by Air Force Staff Sergeant S. C. Felde, 18 May 2002:

sniper spotter team.jpg

An EOD technician attached to 1st Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division, uses an M14 to destroy landmines detected along the Kuwait-Iraqi border, 20 April 2003. Photo by LCPL Andrew P. Roufs, USMC:

eod guy.jpg

eod1.jpg

Last edited:

Soldiers of the Fort Meade, Maryland 519th Military Police Battalion fire an M14 sniper rifle on Range 9 as part of their annual preparation qualification tests for Exercise Orbit Sunset, a base counter terrorism plan test. Photo by Specialist Long, 19 January 1984

meademps.jpg

Lithuania upgraded 400 of their M14 rifles with telescopes, 25 April 2019:

1635551858064.png

1635552799823.png

Last edited:
I've read Lee Emerson's 2012 M14 history, threads here, and a few on the M14 forum and want to point out some things that might be confusing.

When you read there were differences between Navy and Army programs you have to recognize there were at least FIVE or more separate distinct and different groups trying to squeeze more function and life out of the M14.

First, you had the conventional Army and the USAMU. Army Materiel Command (later Tank and Automotive Command) and Rock Island had the Big Army responsibility for formal small arms programs and whether or not the Army adopted a weapon, first assigning a formal "XM" and then a formal "M-" type-classification once the weapon is formally adopted and put into service (XM-4 to M4 Carbine, and XM-110 to M110 for the KAC sniper rifles for example). The Army G3 (Operations), G4 (logistics), G7 (training), and G8 (force structure, budget, and dollars) all agree there's a requirement; how many we need (as opposed to how many we're going to actually buy); who gets how many; and how the dollars are going to be spread (between purchases and maintenance). Add USSOCOM and SOCOM dollars after 1987 and the math gets even more complicated (by law the Army buys an item for Army Special Operations Forces if it's a common item -- if it's a USASOC-peculiar item, USASOC pays for the SOF-queer modifications. If the whole GUN system is SOF-queer then it's bought with all-SOF dollars. An M4 is bought by the Army using a chunk of Mother Army's budget, but SOPMOD accessories are paid for by USSOCOM.

Rock Island (after Springfield Armory closed) has responsibility for specifying National Match standards for the M1 and M14 rifles and the M1911A1 pistol. After JFK, RFK, and Martin Luther King were all murdered the Army dropped support for the National Matches at Camp Perry after 1968 and no longer published, kept up with, or maintained National Match specifications (which is why there are no National Match standards for the M16, M110, M9, M11, M17, or M18, nor for 5.56mm or 9mm).

1635623075815_png-2148880.JPG
1635623380864.png
1635623417827.png
1635623545442.png
1635623509543.png

The US Army Marksmanship Unit is tasked to R&D, field, and maintain competition and match weapons for the National Matches, so it has free rein to prototype hot-rod (but not buy or field) anything the Army or Army SOF Forces has or buys, or has a hardware hole that needs filling. These are a National Match M9 and iron-sight AR-10s:

1635627167683.png
1635627527524.png

The M21 is basically a National Match M14 with a scope, so there was overlap. Rock Island had a National Match Armorer course and was supposed to be the stateside maintenance depot for M21s, but they sucked. To fix M21s, a lot of weapons came back to the USAMU, specifically to Hook Boutin's service rifle shop to get repaired correctly or to un-f@rk Rock Island's work.

The M21 was a tiny fraction of all the M14s, M16s, M79s, M203s, and M60s bought for the Vietnam War. Divisions would deadline or lose in combat more standard line small arms in a single year than all M21s ever built for units across the entire Army. Once Vietnam fell and before the M24 was adopted the M21 was neglected and forgotten, a curiosity since the most exposure Army officers had to it (kinda-sorta) was the M14s they may have seen or handled as cadets.

The only units that were still constantly using them were scout platoons, marksmanship / shooting teams, and Special Forces -- a very small demand pool. Shooting teams maintained their own weapons or sent them back and forth to the USAMU, the National Guard Marksmanship Shops, or small regional MTU shops.

In 1984 the Army adopted the M24 and started to replace the M21 on a direct 1-for-1 basis. Most of the regular Army complied because the M21s were plain worn out, and good riddance. Shooting teams and Special Forces wanted to keep their guns and refused to turn them in (there was no way an M16A1 or M16A2 could stand in as a back-up). For SF spotters there simply wasn't an option -- there wasn't another 7.62 self-loader until the SR-25 and AR-10 were introduced in 1993/94. USSOCOM would buy SR-25s but only outfit a few units, and then just enough to fill a small "Loaning library," the USSOCOM Joint Operational Stocks.

10th Group wanted to keep their upgraded M21s and took to calling them "M25s" in the hope USASOC would adopt them as a SOCOM-peculiar weapon. SOCOM and USASOC were was still so new they didn't assume the full mantle for outfitting Army SOF, and Big Army wasn't willing to spend more money on a dead program. M25 died. Besides Tom Kapp and MSG Ammelung, Rick Boucher (retired SOTIC Instructor and a 10th Group counterpart to those gentlemen) is probably the last of the Mohicans when it comes to first-person 10th Group M25, M24, and SF Sniper School information and knowledge.

9-11 and the GWOT shows the Army it probably should have some kind of rifle capability past 300 yards, but we're short (and always will be) snipers. Division commanders plead for a solution. SHABAM, Rock Island offers free M14s again! Let's dress them up, make them heavier, pass them out as EBRs, and not train soldiers to use them. We'll kill funding for training (for a gun out of the Army inventory for at least twenty five years) later. If you need a manual, click here: https://pdf4pro.com/amp/view/change-1-dated-26-jan-2009-m14-enhanced-2d8eb4.html

EBR manual.jpg

So, for the Army, you have Rock Island and the USAMU. For US Army Special Operations Command you have Mother Army providing standard weapons to be modified for SOF missions. If USASOC wants SOF-queer guns, modifications, ammo, or accessories they have to buy them with SOF dollars. There are only so many dollars, so weapons have to compete with hard armor, different uniforms and gear for fighting around the world, or better items than the Army is providing (Oakleys, dual or quad-tube night vision, lightweight helmets, radios, armor plates and carriers, web gear, medical stuff, etc.).

The USAMU went away from the M14 for Camp Perry starting in 1993, and left it for long range service rifle in 2004. Around 2010 the AR-10 became the long range service rifle king.

For the SEALs, outfitting them for a whole year to five years still costs less than a single prop for a capitol ship, so they throw money at their frogmen with a "Yeah, whatever -- here, take your money" (for Navy budgeteers, until you start talking boats and submarines, small arms is a rounding error). Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane (after Vietnam as busy as the Maytag repairman) was more than willing to build guns for the SEALs, and worked that into becoming SOCOM's small arms buyer because it takes forever for Rock Island and Picatinny Arsenal to produce anything.

The Marine Precision Weapons Battalion functions a lot like the USAMU. They can build whatever the Marines need, but they don't control the Marine Corps budget.

Crane serves the Fleet Navy's needs besides the SEALs (Camp Perry; Master-at-Arms police, security, and boarding party; and EOD), so their Special Warfare expertise bleeds over into small arms developments for the Big Navy ("Port Security Rifles," EOD M14s, and Mark 18 boarding party carbines).

SR-25, MK11, M110, M110A1, and M27 will probably mark the end of the M14.

Just because you say "Army," "Marine Corps," or "Navy" M14 programs, the only real common thread between all of them is old, paid-for ("Free") M14s that nobody really cares if you modify since they were no longer standard weapons in short supply.

Last edited:
I've read Lee Emerson's 2012 M14 history, threads here, and a few on the M14 forum and want to point out some things that might be confusing.

When you read there were differences between Navy and Army programs you have to recognize there were at least FIVE or more separate distinct and different groups trying to squeeze more function and life out of the M14.

First, you had the conventional Army and the USAMU. Army Materiel Command (later Tank and Automotive Command) and Rock Island had the Big Army responsibility for formal small arms programs and whether or not the Army adopted a weapon, first assigning a formal "XM" and then a formal "M-" type-classification once the weapon is formally adopted an put into service (XM-4 to M4 Carbine for example). The Army G3 (Operations), G4 (logistics), G7 (training), and G8 (force structure, budget, and dollars) all agree there's a requirement; how many we need (as opposed to how many we're going to actually buy); who gets how many; and how the dollars are going to be spread (between purchases and maintenance). Add USSOCOM and SOCOM dollars after 1987 and the math gets even more complicated (by law the Army buys an item for Army Special Operations Forces if it's a common item -- if it's a USASOC-peculiar item, USASOC pays for the SOF-queer modifications. If the whole GUN system is SOF-queer then it's bought with all-SOF dollars. An M4 is bought by the Army using a chunk of Mother Army's budget, but SOPMOD accessories are paid for by USSOCOM.

Rock Island (after Springfield Armory closed) had responsibility for specifying National Match standards for the M1 and M14 rifles and the M1911A1 pistol. After JFK, RFK, and Martin Luther King were all murdered the Army dropped support for the National Matches at Camp Perry after 1968 and no longer published, kept up with, or maintained National Match specifications (which is why there are no National Match standards for the M16, M9, M11, M17, or M18, nor for 5.56mm or 9mm).

1635623075815_png-2148880.JPG
View attachment 7731493View attachment 7731494View attachment 7731499View attachment 7731498

The US Army Marksmanship Unit is tasked to R&D, field, and maintain competition and match weapons for the National Matches, so it has free rein to hot-rod anything the Army or Army SOF Forces has or buys, or has a hardware hole that needs filling.

The M21 is basically a National Match M14 with a scope, so there was overlap. Rock Island had a National Match Armorer course and was supposed to be the stateside maintenance depot for M21s, but they sucked. To fix M21s, a lot of weapons came back to the USAMU, specifically to Hook Boutin's service rifle shop to get fixed or to un-f@rk Rick island's work.

The M21 was a tiny fraction of all the M14s, M16s, M79s, M203s, and M60s bought for the Vietnam War. Divisions would lose in combat or deadline more standard line small arms than all M21s ever built for units across the entire Army. Once Vietnam fell and before the M24 was adopted it was neglected and forgotten, a curiosity since the most exposure Army officers had to the M21 (kinda-sorta) was the M14s they may have seen or handled as cadets.

The only units that were still constantly using them were scout platoons, marksmanship / shooting teams, and Special Forces -- a very small demand pool. Shooting teams maintained their own weapons or sent them back and forth to the USAMU, the National Guard Marksmanship Shops, or small regional MTU shops.

In 1984 the Army adopted the M24 and started to replace the M21 on a direct 1-for-1 basis. Most of the regular Army complied because the M21s were plain worn out, and good riddance. Shooting teams and Special Forces wanted to keep their guns and just plain refused to turn them in. For SF spotters there simply wasn't an option -- there wasn't another 7.62 self-loader until the SR-25 and AR-10 were introduced in 1993/94. USSOCOM would buy SR-25s, but only outfit a few units, and buying enough to fill a small "Loaning library," the USSOCOM Joint Operational Stocks.

10th Group wanted to keep their upgraded M21s and took to calling them "M25s" in the hope USASOC would adopt them as a SOCOM-peculiar weapon. SOCOM and USASOC were was still so new they didn't assume the full mantel for outfitting Army SOF, and Big Army wasn't willing to spend more money on a dead program. M25 died. Besides Tom Kapp and MSG Ammelung, Rick Boucher (retired SOTIC Instructor and a 10th Group counterpart to those gentlemen) is probably the last of the Mohicans when it comes to first-person 10th Group, M24, and SF Sniper School information.

So, for the Army, you have Rock Island and the USAMU. For US Army Special Operations Command you have Mother Army providing standard weapons to be modernized. If USASOC wants SOF-queer guns, modifications, ammo, or accessories they have to buy them with SOF dollars. There are only so many dollars, so weapons have to compete with hard armor, different uniforms and gear for fighting around the world, or better items than the Army is providing (Oakleys, quad-tube night vision, lightweight helmets, radios, armor plates and carriers, web gear, medical stuff, etc.).

For the SEALs, outfitting them for a whole year to five years was still less than the cost for a single prop for a major capitol ship, and they throw money at their frogmen with a "Yeah, whatever, here -- take your money" (for Navy budgeteers, until you start talking boats and submarines, small arms is a rounding error). Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane (after Vietnam as busy as the Maytag repairman) was more than willing to build guns for the SEALs, and worked that into becoming SOCOM's small arms buyer because it takes forever for the Rock Island and Picatinny Arsenal to produce anything.

The Marine Precision Weapons Battalion functions a lot like the USAMU. They can build whatever the Marines need, but they don't control the Marine Corps budget.

Crane serves the Fleet Navy's needs besides the SEALs (Camp Perry; Master-at-Arms police, security, and boarding party; and EOD), so their Special Warfare expertise bleeds over into small arms developments for the Big Navy ("Port Security Rifles," EOD M14s, and Mark 18 boarding party carbines).

Just because you say "Army," "Marine Corps," or "Navy" M14 programs, the real only common thread you have between all of them is old, paid-for ("Free") M14s that nobody really cares if you modify since they're no longer standard weapons in short supply.

Thanks for the informative and insightful post!