• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Udate*Pelican 1750 w/ custom cut foam weekend proj

nutzkicker617

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2010
Pasadena, CA
Update:

Here is the link where you can find all the info you need for the wiring etc:

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=292695

My setup was slightly different, in that I wanted a larger table, as some of you have pointed out. Working on a large piece of foam on a small table makes it a challange to keep everything flat. Another reason why I chose to do what I did was the fact that the last thing I need is "tool" that will take up a bunch of space, only to be used a few times a year IF that!

Here is a diagram of what my setup looked like:

foamcutter.jpg

Here are the links to the items I bought:

Springs

L-Brackets

Eye Bolts

Dimmer Switch

Transformer

Alligator Clips

NiChrome Wire

Everything cost me about $30 sans the case/foam of course.

With everything mounted on a 2"x4" and using an existing cheap fold out table, I only had a drill a small 1/2" hole to make everything work together. I not only saved money, but saved space without needing to build another table even if it is only 2'x2'.

I used the wall and the table to keep the 2"x4" vertically stable (could have anchored it down better, but again, I wanted to keep things simple and "non-permanent"). In the ar15 thread, you will also notice that some people had the spring on the bottom. I found it much better to have it on the top, because with numerous cuts, you need to "unhook" the cable many times. By having the spring on top, you can simply compress the spring, give the wire some slack and unhook easily without having to go underneath the tables.

a.jpg

One detail which was not really covered in the 40+ Pages from the ar15 thread was how to easily thread the wire through the pilot hole. I wanted to use something which minimal profile so I cut out a small triangle shape on a 1/8" zip tie and used that to punch through the foam and fish through the wire to the top hook. I should state that I have a hoop formed on both ends of the wire for easy installation on to the hooks.

I also bought longer eye bolts with a longer spring to give me plenty of adjustment of the wire tension. I had some washers and nuts to help move both top and bottom hook up and down to get the perfect working tension on the wire which is very important along with the temperature of the wire. If it's not tight enough, you get sloppy lines...too tight, you will snap the wire. For temperature, too cold would mean too slow and you end up pulling on the wire. Too hot, and you end up having to go too fast or risk melting too much around the wire like a watery pen on a piece of paper if you dont move it. And one last thing...you want to keep the wire less than a foot long, otherwise there would be too much current draw and resistance, and might blow the transformer. You also want it to be shorter so its easier to cut with.

During the days before I got all my material, I layed everything out on the ground and went through MULTIPLE configurations on how I wanted everything to be laid out. I wanted the nighforce to be at the top near the handle so it would not have too much weight resting on it. I had to lay the but stock vertically (which requires cutting of all 3 layers of foam) to make sure I had enough space so that all cuts were at least an inch away from each other. Once the stencils were traced out with a pen connected to a right triangle ruler (to make sure the pen was always perpendicular to the paper), I traced the inside with a highlighter to give me a 1/4" border. I then outlined the inside highlighter lines for the final cut line. This made sure that the items would be snugg in the foam and the fitment is perfect...not too tight, and definately not loose.

c.jpg

b.jpg

Pix were taken with an iPhone...will update with better pix

2-7.jpg

1-5.jpg

3-3.jpg

I do still plan to get some better pix for you guys, but not enough time to get things out again...but feel free to ask if you have any questions! It was actually a really fun project!

Re: New Pelican 1750 with custom cut foam weekend proj

Nice foam cutting job! I like the idea of using a long table to support long foam pieces.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nutzkicker617</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the help of the ar15.com, I constructed a simple hot wire foam cutting rig and finally have a secure method of transportation for my sticks to the range!
</div></div>

Could you post a link with information on the hot wire cutting please?

Never mind, Google just found every thing I needed.

I am loving the hardware! Is that a T3 Tactical in a W3 chassis?

Thanks

It is a Tikka Scout CTR in a W3 chassis...so pretty much the same thing without a threaded muzzle

That looks great. I have cut several pelican cases and the wire cutting method used above is the best.

very professional, nice job dude.

I need to build one of those hot wire cutters

looks great! I like the idea of using the full size table.

I went to HomeDepot and got some replacement cap screws which are knurled on the top to I can just remove without tools. There are a total of 3 (1 on top and 2 on the bottom) Once those three screws are out, the stock just slides out.

Takes under a minute to get it removed.

Nice job, Ima try that when I go on leave.

Great job! I can only pray that my future pelican case comes out as clean as this.

Anyone know where to order the foam for a low price. I just need the middle and the bottom piece. The "pelican" price is overpriced. I read that the foam is closed cell foam. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I have the same case and need to change the foam. Thanks.

Hey, thats an awesome job! I did the same thing but i used an old Train Transformer and my work bench!

The included foam with pelican cases are "open cell" which means it would hold moisture which is why they suggest purchasing their silica gel dessicant bar (which u can get for 5 bux on amazon). this was verified by pelican to be "open cell"

Try ebay or www.efoamstore.com

I actually just visited a local store in SoCal:

millerfoam.com which had great prices ($36 for a 2"x24"x72" piece of high quality charcoal foam....firmer/better than Pelican in my opinion.

Wow! That is one sweet custom case! Anyone know the best place to get one cheap? I'm looking at the 1750.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boss334OP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow! That is one sweet custom case! Anyone know the best place to get one cheap? I'm looking at the 1750. </div></div>
I think Midway has them on sale right now.

Nice job! I did a quick and dirty on mine using a razor blade. U could probably sell this service. I'm sure people on this site would pay for these results.

Thanks Mr Maim...I was just too lazy to include that link the first time but now its up! and thanks to everyone for the compliments....

We all have spent so much money on our rigs...why not give it a nice, protected place to rest!

I may have to try this for multiple setups.
Out of the safe and into the Pelican with corresponding
foam for the rig going to the range that day.

Thanks for the info guys.

That is unbelievable, it make my pelican case foam cutting look sloppy.

nutzkicker617,

GREAT UPDATE! Thanks for the diagram and all the extra info! That ARFcom thread is just crazy, and at 41 pages too much information. Looks like you came up with a solution that works! I'm going to start digging through my garage to see what parts I have to build a cutter just lying around.

Where do you get the NiChrome wire? I'm wondering how it compares to musical instrument strings (guitar).

Again, great post, great update, and really nice work!

Haha...I knew I forgot something.

The wire was sourced from amazon which is linked in the original post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nutzkicker617</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haha...I knew I forgot something.

The wire was sourced from amazon which is linked in the original post. </div></div>

Excellent! Thanks for the quick reply!

nutzkicker617, one more quick question: what material did you use for your templates? I assume that you'd need to use something that would hold its shape and not be burned by the heated wire, yet be pliable enough to cut into template form.

I got my NiChrome wire and hardware so I'm almost ready to go. Just gotta make the templates!

@Mr.Maim

I just used the corrugated cardboard that the case was shipped in.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3011750#Post3011750

A better solution would be the heavy paper used for school project display boards found in craft supply shops, like this,
http://tiny.cc/abt8j

I also found it was easier to use the outside of the cutout and trace along the inside of the cardboard. I didn't use a fan but there was a few times I wish I had. Get a good whiff of those fumes and you will know why. Didn't have any problem burning the cardboard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@Mr.Maim

I just used the corrugated cardboard that the case was shipped in.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3011750#Post3011750

A better solution would be the heavy paper used for school project display boards found in craft supply shops, like this,
http://tiny.cc/abt8j

I also found it was easier to use the outside of the cutout and trace along the inside of the cardboard. I didn't use a fan but there was a few times I wish I had. Get a good whiff of those fumes and you will know why. Didn't have any problem burning the cardboard.
</div></div>

Ahhh... excellent! Thanks! I was thinking that the wire is red hot and would burn the cardboard. Clearly that is not the case. I like your tensioner, pretty darn clever!

Thanks <span style="font-weight: bold">dstewart51</span>

I personally tried corrugated cardboard from boxes, but find that it is much too difficult to cut precisely because of its' thickness. I actually went to the dollar store and got a 2-pack gift box package which is thin card stock like those you get from department stores or what not. I used those for the larger items for their larger size, but for the handguns, I used simple manila folders from the office which did the job very well. You can also tape together a few sheets to make up the size if one folder is too small. The key to getting perfect cut outs is to have the stencils cut precisely. You want to make sure that all cuts are smooth, because if you have a small "V cut", the wire can get caught in that imperfection and slightly mess up your cut. I make sure that the stencil is smooth by just scratching my nail on the edges to smooth it out prior to tacking on the foam. Also, my wire's temperature was set to give me a balance of cut speed and lack of smoke....if its' smoking your foam, then you are going too slow or wire is too hot. If you feel too much resistance with no smoke, increase the temperature. For me, the optimal operating temperature was never enough to burn the stencils.

I have had the issue with the NiChrome wire thermally expanding. If you have the spring tensioner as part of the construction as illustrated in the first post, it should be able to take up the slack at operating temperature.

I just did two handgun cases this week, one for my buddy in a Haliburton Case and my new Pelican 1470. The inserts of both cases were gutted and I cut a new insert for both top and bottom.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Thanks for the write up and the links!

FYI, I went through all 142 pages of the AR15.com thread. No where in that thread was cutting anything but the Standard Polyurethane Foam. For true rugged use, one should strongly consider upgrading the foam to at a minimum High-Density Polyurethane Foam and preferably Polyethylene Foam. The milspec weapons cases complete with cut out foam with NSNs use Polyethylene Foam. If you buy a McMillan rifle in a case from them, it comes with Polyethylene Foam, die cut, by this company:

http://www.custom-foam-inserts.com/default.htm

Here is more detail on the foam types referenced above:

http://www.custom-foam-inserts.com/foam-types.htm

The cool thing about dealing with Case Club is they will send you the foam you want in the case Day 1, so you are not paying for foam you do not intend to use should you choose to upgrade. They are very competitive on the price of the cases as well.

I got the iM3200 for myself and a friend, both with PE foam, along with a complete additional set of foam, which will allow me to configure my case for 2 additional layouts (3 total) and my friend 1 additional layout. In the process of doing this I found out you can order the foam stacks in different thicknesses to make up the total thickness, giving you even more flexibility on how you configure the case.

I do not know (as the 142 page thread did not address this) how a wire cutter would do with PE foam, but I can tell you a Chicago Cutlery boner from the Salvation Army hit with a steel every 18 linear inches of cutting does a great job on PE foam.

3200rifle.jpg

If you have a concern about loading the scope in the "upside down position" just cut a little more around the scope so it has a little gap. A crochet needle works well for getting the wire through the foam.

Yeah...after a few punctures with the zip tie, a slight curve will drive the ziptie on a slanted angle and end up way off the target.

I'll haveto try that needle or something else that is solid with a thin profile.

are their two layers of foam. So you leave one layer uncut that stays against the case and only cut the inner layer? Im confused on the depth of the cut I guess? Hows that work? Its late and I just crushed my finger in a A60 door, am I making sense?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are their two layers of foam. So you leave one layer uncut that stays against the case and only cut the inner layer? Im confused on the depth of the cut I guess? Hows that work? Its late and I just crushed my finger in a A60 door, am I making sense?</div></div>

There are 3 layers of foam, you just cut the middle layer.

Top and bottom layers are obviously against the case bottom and lid, middle cut layer holds everything snug.

that is awesome. i will be buying a pelican this year and cutting it, but i will either need several pieces of foam for different rifles, or have to make a more "generic" rifle cut so i can use the case for several bolt guns.

Anybody have any suggestions on foam glue? I do not like how the layers of foam will be grabbed out with the rifle out of the hard case.

Man that looks perfect. I just sliced & diced & mine looks no where near as clean as yours. May have to try it & get replacement foam. Why is it every time I look here, I found even more ways to spend what little money I have?