• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimate AR Whose Receiver You Using

Use whichever you like . I’ve used LFA sets run $180 cerakoted and shipped to SLR which are around $600. Spend your money on a good barrel and a good bcg. LFA Live Free Armory sent me a replacemset due to my first set having too much play . Can’t really go wrong there. If I were you I would make an 80% lower and use an aero Precision Upper. You could adjust your milling depth of your rear deck to your upper reciever for the perfect fit and still be less than those overpriced Gucci sets. 80%arms.com. I’ve heard they are very easy to finish.

Just completed my Aero lower last night. I have to tell you it was as good as the lower on my 308 which is a Mega Billet set as far as the build goes. I haven't tried mating it to an upper yet since I don't have one completed yet. But everything had excellent tolerances that are probably as good as the Mega set I used. With the adjustment screw underneath the pistol grip I should be able to get the slop out if needed.

I use $40 Anderson lowers. They mate tight with every milspec upper I've used.
For hundreds more, you don't get any more functionality, except maybe a flared magwell. The rest is brand and some cute engravings, Be aware that there are about 4 manufacturers that make lowers for all of the builders.
Do you not consider ambi controls or thicker materials to be more functionality ?

I use a Cadex AR 15 lower with a vltor monolithic upper. I’d be curious to try the new german Haenel lowers/ uppers probably as good or better than hk 416 for a better price.

How about the other extreme from ultimate?
:)
DIY 80% plastic lower, BCA upper, LaRue trigger, ARP barrel, lower tier parts that don't matter.
Nice tight fit.

Attachments

• P1010825.jpg
    P1010825.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 44
For me depends on use. 3 gun I have Aero lower with BCM stock and parts with a TTI upper and JP trigger. For classes I use an Aero lower with BCM upper, 11.5 or 14.5, and Geisele SSA-E trigger.

Do you not consider ambi controls or thicker materials to be more functionality ?

What ambi controls can you not get with an Anderson lower over a more expensive lower? Other than the bolt release I can't think of one that I wouldn't think of getting. The Seekins lowers are $260.00 and for me even with buying a $100.00 lower that ambi bolt release isn't enough of a motivator to pay the price difference for me to justify the cost. If an ambi bolt release was that importan to me I could get a PDQ bolt release. I would just have to do a little modification to the lower which is what these other companies are doing.

As for the thicker materials argument, all I have seen are claims that it improves things from manufacturers selling a product. They say they've done testing but I haven't heard exactly what that testing has entailed. So I'm not going to give it too much of a thought. I've never had an issue with the integrity of the receivers that I've used. Maybe once the manufacturers start telling us what their testing procedures were then I might give it some weight. But until then, they're just people trying to justify the cost of their stuff. Especially with the lowers.

Last edited:
I like Aero lowers. For small frame, their mil-spec lowers have a larger bevel at the mag well opening than an Anderson, and comparing a VERY small sample, i felt the machined features are held closer to nominal. If bought on blem sale, they are sub $50.
The 'enhanced' M4E1 lower I like even more. It has an even larger bevel to the magwell, a fence across the left side to shelter a ambi mag release, a built in trigger guard, a threaded Bolt catch pin, and due to its restyling, fits well in the hand. It is a forging, and runs $60-70.

For the marginal difference in price, Aero has better resale value over Anderson, if that matters to you.
All that said, I would trust an Anderson or PSA lower, assuming it had good quality parts inside.

For large frame, most are familiar with the M5 sets. I think they are very nice, but have not compared them to any other brand.

What's the common consensus of the gibbz side charger? Haven't seen anyone mention them in awhile

The Gibbz is a really nice upper. One of the benefits is that it allows you to run a cheek riser and have your stock as short as you like. My daughter runs it for this reason. She probably has 8,000-10,000 rounds on it.

Reactions: _shawn_
I went with Quentin Defense's ARQ-15 receiver set in 7075 for a Grendel build. They are local to me, so I was able to go talk to them and hold the set in my hands. I'm extremely happy with it and will use another for sure.

That's a very nice looking set. How was the barrel extension fit into the upper?

MM

Craddock's extensions are pretty true, so I'd say that makes it on the snug side which is always a good thing.

MM