• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ultimate long range hunting scope?

Snipe260

Fisterateor
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Gents, give me some scope advise on your opinions! Long range scope that’s good in lowlight. One that has great reticle for holdovers! Compact and not heavy as a tank. Also has to have illumination! What say you?

I have an AMG and it has done well for me in this role. It isn’t what I would consider compact though it is a lighter weight option.. The other options mentioned probably fit your requirements better in relation to compactness. Also the Mark 5 3.6-18 would be good in this role if they have a reticle you like?

Reactions: CuTm and Snipe260
    +1 on the March. I'm looking for a similar long range scope. For a little less money the EOTech Vudu 5-25x50 is one to look at if you can deal with the 5x low end. I just picked one up and am very impressed. Also have a Brownells MPO 3-18x50 on order. I'm more curious about this one after seeing Ilya's review.

Reactions: Snipe260
    Gents, give me some scope advise on your opinions! Long range scope that’s good in lowlight. One that has great reticle for holdovers! Compact and not heavy as a tank. Also has to have illumination! What say you?

what is long range to you and what are you hunting? Long range prairie dogs might require more X’s than an elk.

right now I’m loving my S&B PMII 10x42 fixed and my Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50. Still holding my breath waiting on the TT 315 Hunter to be released....

what is long range to you and what are you hunting? Long range prairie dogs might require more X’s than an elk.

right now I’m loving my S&B PMII 10x42 fixed and my Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50. Still holding my breath waiting on the TT 315 Hunter to be released....
    I deer hunt mostly. But I also shoot steel out to 1000 at times. I’m kind of getting fixated on the gunwerks Leopold 5x25 moa reticle

ZCO 4-20 and Kahles 3-18 bar none best hunting scopes period. Light no but seriously what’s 10-16 ounces for the best glass and rock solid performance. Have 2 kahles ans 1 zco and any future hunting scopes will be ZCO4-20. Perfect in every way. If too heavy use titanium action and proof barrel ?

Mark 5 HD. Very clear even in low light!
    The light weight is perfect for hunting

In the MK5 The cch ret might be a little crowded, also you might want to look at the vx-3i LRP series from leupold.

What about the Nightforce options? NX8? I too am searching for the ultimate hunting scope.

I'm on the search as well. My main criteria are as follows:

1. Minimum 15x on the high end mag, ideally 15 to 18x
    2. Reliable tracking and zero stop
    3. Glass quality- currently running XTRII, glass is ok but have looked thru better, these were just in my budget at the time.
    4. Capped or locking windage turrets. I've never dialed for wind in a hunting situation. If its a long shot and too windy, I wouldn't take the shot on a live animal.

I'm heavily leaning towards the Leupold MK5 3.6-18x, also interested in the NF SHV 4-14 F1 or a bushnell DMRII.

Have you looked through a new 3.3-18 xtr3? They have great glass, they're 30oz, fairly short, have a ton of adjustment and the FOV is huge which is great for hunting. A word to the wise, if you have a heavy recoiling rifle, keep an eye on the reticle when adj power, mine began to move when rotating power +-, sent it in for repairs. Other than that, I loved everything about that scope.

Does it have locking or capped windage turrets?

I'm on the search as well. My main criteria are as follows:

1. Minimum 15x on the high end mag, ideally 15 to 18x
    2. Reliable tracking and zero stop
    3. Glass quality- currently running XTRII, glass is ok but have looked thru better, these were just in my budget at the time.
    4. Capped or locking windage turrets. I've never dialed for wind in a hunting situation. If its a long shot and too windy, I wouldn't take the shot on a live animal.

I'm heavily leaning towards the Leupold MK5 3.6-18x, also interested in the NF SHV 4-14 F1 or a bushnell DMRII.
    Vx5HD or Vx6HD if you’re ok with dialing and second focal plane... awesome and light and cheaper than the Mark 5. Still has locking elevation and zero stop.

Vx5HD or Vx6HD if you’re ok with dialing and second focal plane... awesome and light and cheaper than the Mark 5. Still has locking elevation and zero stop.

Whats the verdict on the VX5 tracking?

Ultra light. Nightforce 2.5-10x24. Medium weight, S&B 5-20 Ultra Short.
    Those are my two field scopes.

ZCO 4-20 and Kahles 3-18 bar none best hunting scopes period. Light no but seriously what’s 10-16 ounces for the best glass and rock solid performance. Have 2 kahles ans 1 zco and any future hunting scopes will be ZCO4-20. Perfect in every way. If too heavy use titanium action and proof barrel ?
    I hunt with AI and desert tech. So adding a little more weight not a prob.

I know I'm going to hear about it for my recommendation but you might consider a US Optics B-17. I have one with an H102 reticle and internal level. The glass is great and the turrets are very repeatable and solid. I like mine but I haven't owned any of the others discussed here so I cannot compare it to anything.

If it helps, I have created a spreadsheet and Zipped it and also included a PDF of the spreadsheet, if you don't have Excel, of most of the scopes discussed here.

Edit: I added the H102 sentence.

Attachments

• Scope.zip
      10.7 KB · Views: 50
    • Scope.pdf
      20.2 KB · Views: 62
    I just struggled with this. Ideally I wouldve gotten the TT 315 if not for the price (and if they had the Gen 3 XR, I may have sold a kidney to get it). Same boat w/ the ZCO (but that is heavier than I'd prefer). It came down to a Kahles318 & NF 4-16. The NF won out for me as optically they were about even (albeit each had higher and lower points), but the low profile locking turret pushed me towards the NF.

I just struggled with this. Ideally I wouldve gotten the TT 315 if not for the price (and if they had the Gen 3 XR, I may have sold a kidney to get it). Same boat w/ the ZCO (but that is heavier than I'd prefer). It came down to a Kahles318 & NF 4-16. The NF won out for me as optically they were about even (albeit each had higher and lower points), but the low profile locking turret pushed me towards the NF.
    I think I'm gonna save for the 4-16 atacr for next year. It seems to be one of the top options.

ZC420 for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20191026_152008_268.jpg
      IMG_20191026_152008_268.jpg
      458.7 KB · Views: 75