• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimate long range soft case

We already have a few waxed canvas almost exactly as you describe
Who is we?
Bass Pro / Cabela’s
So, wait @usmc7980, you work for Bass Pro / Cabelas? Or are you speaking as we=the general consumer? Odd way to say that.

I use this one. Not too bad, just a few pockets for magazines and some other stuff. Not too expensive either.
Mike

master1_100123922_main

Cabela's Xtreme Long-Range Rifle Case
This case must be made by Bulldog, as theirs is exactly the same except it has non-curved zipper pulls. The Cabela’s curved pulls are irritating to use (to me). (Probably not the same as the Bulldog, see @Stugots report further down)

Sportsman’s carries it, as does Amazon.

To the OP, if I was designing a simple range case today, I’d copy the Bulldog, make the rear pocket puff out like the middle pocket, upgrade the zips and the fabric to what Armageddon uses. And make it in the USA.

I made an exception to my “try to buy USA” policy when I got the Bulldog as I couldn’t find a similar USA made case.

I do really like my various Armageddon precision rifle cases (I have, like, eight?), but they are a little narrow if you have a wider bipod attached. The Bulldog is pretty wide and roomy.

And I would rather have the shoulder strap attached on the back of the case (Bulldog) vs attaching on either side of the zipper (Armageddon). I’m sure the latter’s solution is a bit stronger because it protects the zipper from pulling apart a little more, but it makes placing the rifle in the case or removing it a wee bit more of a hassle because stuff gets hung up in the strap.

I wish the Triad drag bag had a shoulder strap option. Not sure if the TacOps has a shoulder strap. I get that they are more tactical, but just speaking from my POV. Easy to remove a shoulder strap if it attaches with a metal ring (or if not, just cut it off), but it’s hard to jury-rig a strap onto a case that has no attachment points.

Edit: shoulder strap, in this instance, means a luggage-type single strap. Using one backpack strap is doable, but less than ideal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc
So, wait @usmc7980, you work for Bass Pro / Cabelas? Or are you speaking as we=the general consumer? Odd way to say that.

This case must be made by Bulldog, as theirs is exactly the same except it has non-curved zipper pulls. The Cabela’s curved pulls are irritating to use (to me).

To the OP, if I was designing a simple range case today, I’d copy the Bulldog, make the rear pocket puff out like the middle pocket, upgrade the zips and the fabric to what Armageddon uses. And make it in the USA.

I made an exception to my “try to buy USA” policy when I got the Bulldog as I couldn’t find a similar USA made case.

I do really like my various Armageddon precision rifle cases (I have, like, eight?), but they are a little narrow if you have a wider bipod attached. The Bulldog is pretty wide and roomy.

And I would rather have the shoulder strap attached on the back of the case (Bulldog) vs attaching on either side of the zipper (Armageddon). I’m sure the latter’s solution is a bit stronger because it protects the zipper from pulling apart a little more, but it makes placing the rifle in the case or removing it a wee bit more of a hassle because stuff gets hung up in the strap.

I wish the Triad drag bag had a shoulder strap option. Not sure if the TacOps has a shoulder strap. I get that they are more tactical, but just speaking from my POV. Easy to remove a shoulder strap if it attaches with a metal ring (or if not, just cut it off), but it’s hard to jury-rig a strap onto a case that has no attachment points.

Tac Ops has shoulder straps like a backpack

Tac Ops has shoulder straps like a backpack
Oh, I should have been more specific, but thanks for that. I’ve edited my post for clarity.

I meant a regular luggage-type shoulder strap. More useful for me when I go to the range, as often putting on the bag as a backpack indoors causes the top of the case to hit doorways. And my hands are always full of stuff, like keys.

Once I hit the range I use a medium-sized backpack as a range bag (stored in truck). So, then the rifle case needs to be on one shoulder and I need hands free to open the range shed doors, etc.

Last edited:
IMHO one thing to not overlook is a rain flap on the zipper.

Too many bags have circumferential zippers with no flap. A proper bag for field use should have a flap. A good-old rain-flap is helpful in unexpected showers. Without it, its easy to get the gun storage area complete soaked, and last thing you want to do is stick your rifle in a "wet bag" for a couple hours drive home.

For sizing, all bags should fit into respective pelican (or storm) cases. That means not to much width, although I also agree with the guys saying you need enough width to accessories. Those huting style bags that choke on bipods or optics/tactical turret etc...obviously not the right way to go.

Lastlly, use good fabrics and stiching, and have shap-support that doesn't sag. Look at ski bags or something like this, meant to deal with heavy use that goes in and out of cars/planes. Modern rifles are similarly heavy, and will wreck the shape on cheap bags after minimal usage.

Again, lightweight hunting rifles are mass-market, but precision rifles need a higher grade product tailored more to the niche.

TacOps drag bags are expensive, but in my opinion they are one of the best you can get.
I've had them for years and they hold up very well to rough use and heavy rifles and tons of stuff put into them.

You might never need the backpack straps or the folding mat, but they are nice to have hidden in there just incase you ever actually need them one day.

Mike does group buys every year or two and that's a great way to get in on them.

IMHO one thing to not overlook is a rain flap on the zipper.

Too many bags have circumferential zippers with no flap. A proper bag for field use should have a flap. A good-old rain-flap is helpful in unexpected showers. Without it, its easy to get the gun storage area complete soaked, and last thing you want to do is stick your rifle in a "wet bag" for a couple hours drive home.

For sizing, all bags should fit into respective pelican (or storm) cases. That means not to much width, although I also agree with the guys saying you need enough width to accessories. Those huting style bags that choke on bipods or optics/tactical turret etc...obviously not the right way to go.

Lastlly, use good fabrics and stiching, and have shap-support that doesn't sag. Look at ski bags or something like this, meant to deal with heavy use that goes in and out of cars/planes. Modern rifles are similarly heavy, and will wreck the shape on cheap bags after minimal usage.

Again, lightweight hunting rifles are mass-market, but precision rifles need a higher grade product tailored more to the niche.

TacOps has you covered there.
They have a nice complete rain cap for the top of the bag if you have it standing upright.
Then there is a button overflap that covers the entire zipper area.
The stitching is top notch.

Reactions: ma smith
I want a bag that repels dust and dog hair that finds its way under the bed where the other rifle bags are stored. Other than that, I’d prefer a rectangular shape with stowable backpack straps, sufficient padding, DWR treated fabric, zipper flaps (inside and out), internal molle straps, room enough internally for a vertical grip, large scope, and bipod attached, external D rings, heat resistant internal silencer pouch, one or two small internal pouches for chamber flags and backup ear plugs, etc, and made in America. Or at the very least, not made in China.

Triad's are my fave for transport and ease of use.
Got short for the Vudoo, long for the centerfire, both fit the pelican.
I tried the AG rifle case, it doesn't fit pistol grips and high scopes, more for traditional stocks and lower scope heights, no bipod attached, etc.
But Triad's are perfect for a vertical Ergo grip and 1.5" high scope mounts, with bipod still on out front to avoid resting the rifle weight on the barrel bouncing around the roads on the way to matches.

What I want is something very like the OEM Desert Tech soft case but set up so that it's actually useful. In the annals of clever and well thought out design, you will not find the joker that designed it. The inside of the case has a an utter lack of MOLLE webbing while the outside has only a tiny token patch of webbing where it's not much good. The inside could use pockets that can support the long mags and a change to the short mag pockets so they are not such a world class PITA to actually insert mags into. At least 1 dedicated bolt pocket would be nice. The pocket for the extra barrel doesn't need to be so tight fitting as to be almost unusable. If it fitted, even snugly, into their hard case in such a way that it could serve as the top foam, that would be super spiffy. An external pocket or two wouldn't go amiss. Change the suppressor pocket so that it's not so unfriendly to other brands of suppressor, neither my Ase Utra or my Sus-Tac fit in it because they both seemed to decide to trade a little girth for a little length. Basically, fix all the crap design and spiff it up a bit.

You want this one, if "ultimate" is really your goal. Pricey, but exceptionally well made, and they pass the dust and dog hair under the bed test. MOLLE webbing in the main compartment and in the longer of the two side pockets; the smaller side pocket has literal sewn in pockets deep enough for a ten round mag with a two round extension. The smaller side pocket has an external zipped pocket, which lays flat, for any sort of papers, match booklets, tools.

It may well be my small mindedness, however it seems the OP was inquiring about a long rang soft rifle case features. About post #13 the discussion seems to have pivoted and biased with desirable drag bag soft case features. The Venn diagram suggests there is absolutely an overlap in the soft case that protects the rifle in the truck en route to the final parking position at the shooting range v. that soft case that is dragged over sharp rocky cactus pitted terrain to the final firing position.

Ideally, both soft case styles would fit within a Pelican-styled hard case.

I use this LaRue drag bag (no shoulder straps!) that fits within the wheeled Pelican 1750 as it is too damn heavy to carry otherwise. I invite the OP to re-engage and disclose IF he is planning on fabricating long range rifle soft cases or drag-bag styled soft cases, or both. The drag-bag style would seem to have garner a much smaller retail market share. At the end of the day it has to be profit making adventure for the OP. Asking for a friend.

A 16" LaRue OBR 7.62.

DSCN0122 copy.JPG
DSCN2311a copy.jpg
DSCN0118a copy.jpg
DSCN0114a copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 5.45.18 PM.png

DSCN2704 copy.JPG

Does anyone have any experience with the air armor cases?

I've got one and they are very nice.
All the rigidity and protection of a hard case with the weight of a soft case.
They are however very expensive.
But you could use them as a raft or an air mattress.

The Galati 55" deluxe is the best bag to model one after. I've looked at all of these posted and have some of then but the Galati deluxe is superior IMO and others too. Add some good pockets to it and think out storage situation a bit better and that's it.

I need a 62' case and dang if I can find one, so I would be happy if you size it for long barrels. I am currently using a snow board bag.

I need a 62' case and dang if I can find one, so I would be happy if you size it for long barrels. I am currently using a snow board bag.

Have you tried contacting Mike at TacOps and asking about their XL sized drag bags?

65” or 72” cases here. I don’t own one, but I own their precision rifle case and it’s nice.

Reactions: huang

This case must be made by Bulldog, as theirs is exactly the same except it has non-curved zipper pulls. The Cabela’s curved pulls are irritating to use (to me).

Edit: shoulder strap, in this instance, means a luggage-type single strap. Using one backpack strap is doable, but less than ideal.
Great input and yes I work for Bass/Cab, assistant merchant for gun storage, muzzleloaders and recreational shooting.

I’ve used this for years with great luck. Plenty of room for guns, mags, small tools etc.

I use a pelican vault for extended travel.

The Cabela's and the Bulldog soft cases are NOT the same. I just purchased each (returned the Cabela's) and the bulldog was approx. 3" longer I.D.

Savior Gear 34” soft case fits a 16” MPR with a 7” suppressor (ZR0-DTA mount) perfectly.

IMG_7407.jpeg
IMG_7406.jpeg

@Stugots

My reply and quote function is acting up, but thanks for the intel. That is strange that the two cases aren’t the same. Thanks for the report!

I stumbled upon this one; Aim Tactical Drag Bag. https://www.aim-fieldsports.com/product-category/dragbags/

I like all the different sizes and the good set of shoulder straps. And they appear to be really clever designed. Not cheap, though.
MHSA carries these.

I have run an AIM 42 Folding Stock Bag w/ my 18” Origin/KRG W3 folder setup for a little over a year now. It’s a great bag. The shoulder straps are comfortable. The bag balances perfectly when loaded up with all of my stuff. No signs of any issues so far.

Maybe someone mentioned it, but I recently found out that AIM cases are made overseas (edit: China). I emailed the manufacturer to confirm. Dangit 😢

I own the AIM 55” drag bag and I’m a bit bummed. I somehow got the idea that they were made in Britain.

Last edited:
So...AIM bags made overseas... like where?

PM me if its gonna get us all in trouble, but
I'd be curious to know COO on AIM bags...:ROFLMAO:

Not a fan of drag bags, but I like certain design features,
especially the folder-specific design(s) on a couple of them.

Its not overseas if you're in Britain :ROFLMAO::p:ROFLMAO:
So...AIM bags made overseas... like where?

PM me if its gonna get us all in trouble, but
I'd be curious to know COO on AIM bags...:ROFLMAO:

Not a fan of drag bags, but I like certain design features,
especially the folder-specific design(s) on a couple of them.
Sorry, should have been more specific, but when I wrote the post I couldn’t quite remember exactly which country it was, just that it was in Asia. (I get the “overseas” joke if they were indeed made in UK).

So I dug up the email from AIM Field Sports:

Thank you for your email!
All of our Drag Bags including the Folding Stock Bags are manufactured at our factory in China. (my emphasis)​
Any other questions please do let me know.
Regards
(name withheld)
So, there you go. A pity, really. I would have paid a lot more for a British-made bag.

Last edited: