• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Ultrasonic and TBAC 30P-1

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    Kansas
    I plugged the end of my 30P-1 yesterday and filled it with CLR. Rinsed it out this morning with hot water and there is still carbon coming out of it. Will simple green pro HD in my Chicago ultrasonic cleaner hurt the finish on my suppressor?

Last edited:
    I plugged the end of my 30P-1 yesterday and filled it with CLR. Rinsed it out this morning with hot water and there is still carbon coming out of it. Will simple green pro HD in my Chicago ultrasonic cleaner hurt the finish on my suppressor?

How many rounds do you have through it? Got pics?

I have 7,000+ rounds through an AAC M42K on a 6.8 SBR and a couple thousand rounds through an AAC Cyclone and they don’t need cleaning.

Yes the CLR takes some time to brake down the carbon. I've had to soak some of mine for days.

How many rounds do you have through it? Got pics?

I have 7,000+ rounds through an AAC M42K on a 6.8 SBR and a couple thousand rounds through an AAC Cyclone and they don’t need cleaning.

It had several thousand rounds out of it from my 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmoor. It had picked up 3-4 ounces of weight.

Yes the CLR takes some time to brake down the carbon. I've had to soak some of mine for days.

I ran it in the ultrasonic with the HD simple green and RO water for several cycles last night. It started to take the finish off of one spot on the side of the suppressor. Will it work better to suspend it in the cleaner? It was laying in the bottom on the plastic tray that came with the ultrasonic.

It wont make it clean better but it will save the finish a bit.

I will try soaking it in CLR for a couple of days this time. I don't have any shoots until early next month.

Think of it as layers of carbon rather then clean once then done. I generally see 1/2 oz to 1 oz removed per 8 hour soak with new undiluted CLR until the last 1 oz or so. It may look like a lot is coming out but not really. If you weigh it after every soak and rinse you will see exactly what is being removed. I have also tried many ultrasonic carbon removal solutions with no success, many not even on the market. Once the can is back to its original weight you can clean it every 500 - 1000 rounds and the process is much faster. So to recap

weigh suppressor
    soak completely submerged in new undiluted CLR overnight or until it stops bubbling (it will fade the finish, get over it)
    rinse with water
    weigh can again and repeat that process until the can weighs close to original weight or until you are tired of messing with it.

weigh / soak / rinse
    weigh / soak / rinse
    weigh / soak / rinse
    weigh / soak / rinse

I filled it with CLR and let it sit for 2 days this time. Down another ounce and a half. I ran it for 10 minutes in my ultrasonic in RO water only and the water was black. Will run it a few more times and see how much it weighs. The little that I can see inside is very clean now.

what do you use to plug the suppressor
    what do you plug the end up with?

Would have not guessed that. I have 1000's of rounds through mine and have never weighed or cleaned. Accuracy and suppression seem as good as always. Is this really necessary or a matter of personal preference?

How many 1000s of rounds? 1-2k not to bad, 8-10k I would clean it. I usually see 1oz of carbon per 1k of rounds.

More than 10K rounds across 3 different rifles. I'll weight it but accuracy and suppression seem fine.

Question, why a household cleaner and not Kroil or Shooters Choice...something specifically for carbon?

Anyone heard of soaking a suppressor in a mixture of mineral oil and automatic transmission fluid?

Based on advertised starting weight, I've gained 1.3 oz. I guess not too bad for as many rounds as it has through it, actually did not know what to expect. All the rounds have been Varget or H4350 (.308 & 6.5 Creedmoor). I think I might soak it and see if it lightens up or changes POI.

I looked it over with my bore scope and would say it looked relatively "clean".

I've never bothered to weigh any of my CF cans - but since I've had some of them for several years, and have been shooting suppressed the majority of the time for the past couple of years, it might be well worth doing. So CLR is harmless in either inconel or titanium baffles?

The 22RF cans get disassembled & cleaned pretty regularly, but that's pretty much a no-brainer compared to what's best for the CF stuff.

I filled my can with CLR today and it has been foaming like a volcano. Is this normal? I assume this means it is "attacking" the carbon?

Is CLR safe for stellite, inconel, stainless? I've only used it on all titanium suppressors.

Anyone heard of soaking a suppressor in a mixture of mineral oil and automatic transmission fluid?
    Heard of it, did it. It doesn't work. There is also a recipe that thows in kerosene. After buying all these things i was over $40 into it and it did nothing. Just buy a jug of CLR and be done with it.

Easy enough. Red solo up and foam ear plug in the works
    Another slightly more advanced tactic is to make a small tube of 1.5 or 2 inch PVC with a screw off lid. You can submerge the whole suppressor with minimal volumes of CLR. It also contains the mess.

Another slightly more advanced tactic is to make a small tube of 1.5 or 2 inch PVC with a screw off lid. You can submerge the whole suppressor with minimal volumes of CLR. It also contains the mess.

The Lay's knock off pringles work perfectly.