• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultrasonic cleaner review

Jeremybj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Does the ultrasonic cleaner do as good of a job as a traditional tumbler? I have been eying one but just dont know if I believe in it enough to spend the cash.

Re: Ultrasonic cleaner review

It cleans better but I found it to be a pain in the ass. I just use it to clean BCG's and machine gun parts now.

I just bought a small ultrasonic and it works in someways better than tumbling such as it cleans inside the case much better as well as the primer pockets. I use 50% vinegar/water and a touch of dishsoap. I will probably use both systems, but I'm a bit annal.

Sherlok

I did what sherlok suggested in that I used both. I would used the tumbler to get a lot of the grime off. Then put it in the Hornady Ultrasonic cleaner to clean the inside of the brass. Then put it back through the tumbler to make it shine.

However, I gave all of that up and just use STM tumbler. Put the brass in run for 4 hours with 1 table spoon of dawn 1/4 teaspoon of lemi-shine (lemi-shine gets rid of hard water spots) and dry, GTG.

In four hours I can tumble, size, ultrasonic clean, and dry brass. Five hours if I trim it before I run it through the cleaner.

Does it get the insides of the cases shiny like they are when they are virgin? Ill agree the insides of my cases when they come out of my media tumbler are about as black as they were when I put them in.

Pretty much. I don't run the ultra sonic to get squeeky clean either. I run three or four cycles, eightteen to twenty four minutes. Insides are clean the ocassional specks left in primer pockets. My biggest reason for ultra sonic is to remove lube with out media. Drying is fast if I do cases in the morning, just put them on the picnic table in the back yard for an hour. If I do them in the evening I let them dry overnight. I can prime wen I get home from work then.

I do big batches of brass usually. 300 to 500 at a time and do brass prep for a couple of hours a night for the week then load as I need ammo.