• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Underground Skunkworks RECON 7.62

BlackOps Tech

Still The Head Skunk
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Recon762003b.jpg

Recon762040b.jpg

Recon762024b.jpg

Recon762051b.jpg

Recon762065b.jpg

Recon762026b.jpg

This is the latest Underground Skunkworks 7.62 RECON.
It's built on the Underground Skunkworks Light Tactical Action with a Broughton 20" 5C (registered) Barrel. The stock is a Manners MCS-T3 as modified by Underground Skunkworks. Barrel break-in and certification will happen tomorrow, so photos of the target are forthcoming.

Re: Underground Skunkworks RECON 7.62

Is it me, or the pictures are not working?

I may be interested in the "frosty" action... Price?

Nice post but all I see are red X's

Love the Remy with full claw extractor, do you offer this as a service?

Hey Mike,
Just a heads up,
Looks like all but one of the pics of the recon on your site are down as well...JW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually haven't decided if I'm going to offer any of my actions separately or not. Were you looking to do a build yourself? </div></div>

Yeah, Looking at doing a 338 norma or 338 lapua build

what color green did you use on the barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need to buy you a beer. After 15 hours in the shop today, I'm greatful that you would put those up.... </div></div>

don't worry, i won't post up all that kinky shit that's on your photobucket acct.
grin.gif

the rifle looks nice. i like the flat bottom flutes on the bolt. i am thinking about using a standard endmill (well maybe a small corner radius) to flute my barrel on my next build to deviate a bit form the standard full radius flutes.

edit: are your actions made in house?

the rifle looks nice. i like the flat bottom flutes on the bolt. i am thinking about using a standard endmill (well maybe a small corner radius) to flute my barrel on my next build to deviate a bit form the standard full radius flutes.

Thanks. Just finished it a few hours ago. I'm looking at doing some different barrel flutes in the future as well. Typically I'll do 3/16 flutes but I'm looking for something different....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.Holmes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could this be the new hide build???</div></div>

Nope, different action, different company... the build will be a 3 lug system, using AW mags.

The Skunkworks is a nice rifle though, I like em short and functional.

Good looking rifle! Is that an AAC can adapter? I haven't seen the brake version, just the flash hider.

Very nice looking rifle!! Great digital finish too. And if Todd says it rocks, IT ROCKS!!!

Sorry if I don't know and should, are you building these rifles for sale.

Never mind should have looked at your website first, dumb question!!

I like it.
Im a huge fan of the M40A1 and always love to see rifles built with that look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good looking rifle! Is that an AAC can adapter? I haven't seen the brake version, just the flash hider. </div></div>

Thanks and the muzzle brake is for an AAC suppressor. I normally don't put brakes on a .308 unless I'm going to use a suppressor, but this one works very well....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great looking gun 1st off! Then what a paint job! how much is this beast or is it for sale. It's one of the best looking 308s I've seen in a while! Great JOB </div></div>

Thanks for the remarks....This rifle will be available for sale after a gunwriter is finished with T&E.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30calsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's the most awesome digital I've seen in a long time!! </div></div>

Thanks Todd. I know a guy you can call to get something like this done....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Side of the rifle says Chino Valley....

Thats 20 minutes form me </div></div>

That's one of my last Chino Valley actions....My newer actions have Columbia Falls, MT on them. I just completed my move this week....

Just looking at the pricing and options on your site. Do you offer any sort of layaway? lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mopseydocks6014</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just looking at the pricing and options on your site. Do you offer any sort of layaway? lol </div></div>

I guess anything is possible. But now that you mention it, I've adjusted my pricing a bit after changing some manufacturing techniques. The quality remains very high, but it doesn't take as long to complete a rifle. It kinda sucks when you make most of your own parts and what it can do to your manufacturing costs. I'll be posting the new pricing on the website within the next few days....

I'm not knocking on your prices. I myself have a $5,000+ rifle. I love that look of the recon but just can't afford another $5k rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mopseydocks6014</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not knocking on your prices. I myself have a $5,000+ rifle. I love that look of the recon but just can't afford another $5k rifle. </div></div>

No worries.
smirk.gif
My signature rifles are typically a little higher but I build anything from $2995 and up.

Mike, I may have missed it but are these Phoenix machine actions built to ya'lls specs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, I may have missed it but are these Phoenix machine actions built to ya'lls specs? </div></div>

Yep...Formerly Phoenix Machine, now Defiance Machine. Didn't you ask on the original post what the cost of my FROSTY action is?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, I may have missed it but are these Phoenix machine actions built to ya'lls specs? </div></div>

Yep...Formerly Phoenix Machine, now Defiance Machine. Didn't you ask on the original post what the cost of my FROSTY action is? </div></div>

I asked price another member asked about the source. Sorry slipped my mind. Thanks Mike FWIW these actions are quite nice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hate to say it but I like your shotguns more than your rifles! </div></div>

That's OK, I try to build something for everyone. I can get between a four and five inch pattern out of my 14.5" barrels at 25 yards....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, I may have missed it but are these Phoenix machine actions built to ya'lls specs? </div></div>

Yep...Formerly Phoenix Machine, now Defiance Machine. Didn't you ask on the original post what the cost of my FROSTY action is? </div></div>

I asked price another member asked about the source. Sorry slipped my mind. Thanks Mike FWIW these actions are quite nice </div></div>

I still don't have a "For Sale" price, but I'm working on it....

Just to add my .02 to this thread, aside from producing a highly functional, highly accurate, and highly attractive rifle, Mike is a great guy to deal with. I've got a RECON in line with him and a 14" 870 on the way.

Out of curiousity Mike, is the RECON being built on a Chino Valley or Columbia Falls action? And that digital camonpattern is awesome. Has me seriously reconsidering the blk/gry combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adadagain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to add my .02 to this thread, aside from producing a highly functional, highly accurate, and highly attractive rifle, Mike is a great guy to deal with. I've got a RECON in line with him and a 14" 870 on the way.

Out of curiousity Mike, is the RECON being built on a Chino Valley or Columbia Falls action? And that digital camonpattern is awesome. Has me seriously reconsidering the blk/gry combo. </div></div>

I held onto the only Chino Valley action I have left that is set up for a three position safety, so yours is a CV action. I ordered your barrel today and will get your MCS-T3 on order tomorrow.

Damn thats a nice rifle. Too bad its so expensive...about the max I can justify is 4k for a .308 based rifle at this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn thats a nice rifle. Too bad its so expensive...about the max I can justify is 4k for a .308 based rifle at this point. </div></div>

Poison123, Take a look at my response to your PM....