• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unhappy with my paint job, so......DONE!

Patrick_S

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2006
Lunenburg, VT
I was unhappy with the way my first run at painting my Sharp Shooter Supply JVT stock came out.
1: The pattern was only ok, not as good as I wanted. Some empty spots under stock pack. I know nobody will see it, but I know its there.

1a: My pattern had smooth edges and I dig the rough edge patterns.

2; The Wood laminate stock had no texture and some "workmanship" issues. I always really like the way my old B&C stock(10/22) was textured.

3: It was too shiny

4: The paint was thin in some spots(my own fault).

I got the thing out in the sun today a thought that it pretty much sucked, so I started over. Here it is before:
DSC01132.jpg

On to fixing.

First I sanded it all down with dark red 3M scuff pads.

1/1a: Using a different way of doing templates. Instead of cutting the edges with an exacto knife I tore them by hand. Ill also get better coverage.
The method I'm using can be seen here, but I do the templates off the rifle on wax paper in advance. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=696539

2: I busted out my old favorite that I use at the shop(automotive) for durable cover. EVERCOAT automotive premium rubberized undercoating, part number 100348. A plus is that when sprayed from 2.5-3 feet away you get texture like shown in the pics below.

3: Still have to find out how to put a protective very-flat clear coat on it. Got any tips??

4: Ill get my head on straight a pay better attention this time.

Progress so far:
DSC01136.jpg

DSC01138.jpg

Wish me luck. I'm glad I enjoy doing this stuff, even if I have to do it a couple of times
wink.gif

Re: Unhappy with my paint job, so......

Looks good. That undecoat gave it a nice texture.

I wouldn't topcoat that with any kind of paint. You can get spray on chip gaurd from auto paint stores (3M). It's basically a spray on polyurethane clear coat rubber. I don't think it is real shiney, but probably more than you would like. You might experiment on a piece of scrape to find a way to dull it. Misting it with brake cleaner or something might be just enough to dull it if applied carefully.

Teryx

If you dont like the color of the chip guard you can hit it with some paint when its wet, when it dies the paint will be locked in and extremely durable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh much flatter... if thats a word. looks good man! </div></div> Yes, that is a word and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">YES</span></span>, that really looks heaps better, congratulations, well done, keep this up and you might have a small business going it for the forum members.... Ha Ha..

Cheers from Australia,

Regards,

Jeff Gray

GOOD JOB

Reminds me of the camo patern used on our equipmentwhen I was in the 724th Maint BTN, 24th Inf DIV 1976-79