• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Uniforming PP is a PITA...

wIg SpLiTtEr

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2012
Texas
Has ANYone came up with a better way to uniform a primer pocket??? I just got done with about 150 .223 cases, which took over an hour and a half, and, wellll you get the point. Simply put, it is rediculous... Any idea's???

Thanks,
S2K

Re: Uniforming PP is a PITA...

I use Sinclair's primer pocket uniformer. I put just the bit in a drill press and go to town. I can do a dozen or more in a minute when I'm on a roll.

Are all of your pockets run to the maximum depth that the tool allows or do you only cut the pocket just enough to be flat/square? I, myself, have been running as deep as the tool allows

It is a PITA but at least 'they' say we only have to do it once. I use the RCBS case mate and its the best tool I've found for the job. I do it every time but the times after the 1st are easier

I use a Redding Primer Pocket Uniforming Tool that is ground to the proper depth. Nice and sharp too. I chuck it in a cheap ($20) cordless screwdriver and just sit watching TV while uniforming my brass. As was stated earlier, you only have to do it once.

I have a K&M uniforming tool, run it just deep enough to clean up, in a cordless drill.

I also use the same tool for cleaning primer pockets after sizing, super quick and easy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShOoTiN2KiLl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has ANYone came up with a better way to uniform a primer pocket??? I just got done with about 150 .223 cases, which took over an hour and a half, and, wellll you get the point. Simply put, it is rediculous... Any idea's???

Thanks,
S2K </div></div>

if it is taking that much time and effort, at least some of those cases were crimped - starting with a decrimper swage will speed it up

my usual for mixed 223 is to try the batch on the primer pocket uniformer - any that do not go easy are sorted to be swaged - if more than a third need swaging, I just do them all - after swaging, the few that will not go on the PP tool are just tossed

even with the worst batches of brass, I probably get better than 300 an hour

Make sure you're using a good quality tool, I was using a cheaper tool and it did indeed suck. Didn't cut very fast and took a lot of work to get the results I wanted. I upgraded to a nicer tool and it made a world of difference. I just chuck it in my DeWalt and do it while watching some tv at night, makes the chore pass a little easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShOoTiN2KiLl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got done with about 150 .223 cases, which took over an hour and a half, and, wellll you get the point. Simply put, it is rediculous... Any idea's??? </div></div>

I have a Redding tool for PP uiforming. It takes me about 5 seconds per case to do the job. You are taking a full 40 seconds.

Are you guys sure y'all are running the tool as deep as the tool let you?? I just don't see any way to shave off 6-7 thousands through hand pressure alone in that amount of time(5-10 sec). Even if I apply more pressure then what I've found to be optimal, the trim-mate motor is being over worked and slows down considerably. I'm not saying its impossible but I sure havent found a way with the trim-mate as desperate as I am.. Should I maybe try Sinclaire tool? That's the way I'm leaning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShOoTiN2KiLl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has ANYone came up with a better way to uniform a primer pocket???
Thanks,
S2K </div></div>

Yeah, don't do it, it's a waste of time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShOoTiN2KiLl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has ANYone came up with a better way to uniform a primer pocket???
Thanks,
S2K </div></div>

Yeah, don't do it, it's a waste of time.</div></div>

+2.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShOoTiN2KiLl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has ANYone came up with a better way to uniform a primer pocket???
Thanks,
S2K </div></div>

Yeah, don't do it, it's a waste of time.</div></div>

+2....... </div></div>

Really? Well shit I put a Hornady pp uni tool on my Christmas list for wife to order.
I guess I can believe it's useless waste of time but you're the first guys who've suggested it's a waste.

Anyone else with pro/con comment?

I use the Sinclair tool every time I reload if nothing else as a quick and effective way to clean the primer pocket since I don't use stainless steel to clean the brass. Sometimes brass that was already processed gives off more brass than you would think. I've also found that if you weigh the cartridges when new, uniforming the pockets and deburring the flash holes took away most of the weight differences. It may not help but it also ensures that no carbon deposits will alter the primer ignition flame envelope.

When chucked in a drill, it takes only a few seconds which I don't mind doing. Procedurely, I've done it just before trimming in the Giraud trimmer and also as a separate sequence before/after trimming. It takes me less time to do it as a separate step so that is what I now do all of the time.

Thanks for the input guys! I think I will give the Sinclaire tool a try and get back to y'all with the feedback. Take it easy hide!

"Anyone else with pro/con comment?"

Yeah. Make me +4. I'd bet you would be too IF you try groups with uniformed and non-uniformed primer pockets.

I use the Sinclair primer pocket uniformer as well. I chuck it with power tool attachment in my cordless drill and commence to cleaning Primer Pockets. I have had a hornady, RCBS, & the K & M tool and feel the Sinclair is by a WIDE margin the best tool for the job!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maggitas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Sinclair primer pocket uniformer as well. I chuck it with power tool attachment in my cordless drill and commence to cleaning Primer Pockets. I have had a hornady, RCBS, & the K & M tool and feel the Sinclair is by a WIDE margin the best tool for the job! </div></div>

Almost exactly the same as the Redding tool.

Just get a tool that's non-adjustable so you can't cut too deep.