• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unique Ax Uses Physics to Make Wood Chopping Smarter, Not Harder

I saw this online earlier, and while it is a good concept, the cost is prohibitive. Besides, I split so little wood currently, that I enjoy splitting wood.

I saw this online earlier, and while it is a good concept, the cost is prohibitive. Besides, I split so little wood currently, that I enjoy splitting wood.

Now that "is" funny. Actually enjoying throwing the maul and/or axe. You Sir have arrived. :)

Now that "is" funny. Actually enjoying throwing the maul and/or axe. You Sir have arrived. :)

I don't see anything odd about it at all. I enjoy splitting wood as well...been doing it for 50+ years. There's a gimmick to that thing though. Look at what hes splitting. It appears to be seasoned maple, with absolutely no knots, or twists from branches or wind shake. Plus its short. I could do what the guy in the video is doing with a properly edged axe with the same effort. Change that to some Live or Red Oak with knots and it wouldn't look so easy

I would think that thing would twist/torque the shit out of your wrists and elbows. I split the old fashioned way with live hydraulics and a 22 ton cylinder.

Or a nice chunk of sweet gum with an internal limb running through it.

Likely to be picking the back of the axe out of your forehead. LOL You cant split that crap with a hydraulic splitter.

Likely to be picking the back of the axe out of your forehead. LOL You cant split that crap with a hydraulic splitter.

If sweet gum is that gnarly and tough, I'm glad we don't have it up our way! :)

Yeah I thought the same thing regarding the type of wood as well as the unusual torque on your own wrists

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Sweet gum and Black gum----the axe/maul/whatever will bounce off like a rubber hammer leaving a very shallow black mark. Doesn't need knots or anything.

I also happen to like the sweat and work of splitting wood, plus it's a good way to work out tension and frustration (probably why I was sent out to chop wood a lot when I was a teenager).

That wood looked like clear pine or something equally straight grained. Like mentioned above, try that on some curly wood like elm...I don't THINK so! But hey! At only 203 EU ($281 US), it's a bargain right?

Sweet gum and Black gum----the axe/maul/whatever will bounce off like a rubber hammer leaving a very shallow black mark. Doesn't need knots or anything.

And spray you down with nasty smelling sap.

When I was just entering college, my folks heated their house with firewood. My dad, had a part time mechanic shop, working on big trucks and log skidders etc. He mentioned to one of his logging customers that he had cut all the wood he cared to on his 40 acres, did he know of a place he could cut some wood? Bill said that he thought so and would get back to him.

About a week later, Dad hears an air horn in the drive, Bill is directing a semi with a load of logs where to stop, followed by a loader ( crane type deal with a claw, very effective ). Unloads that truck and five more. BIG PILE OF WOOD!

Got home from school Friday night, saw the pile of logs.

Came in the house, sitting on the bed, was a new Stihl, a new splitting maul, ax and wedges, no hydraulics here.

Spent every weekend for months, cutting up, splitting and stacking. My parents were grandparents before they needed wood again.

Hated gum - as was said above, axe or maul, bounces off, soggy wet wood, even after letting it sit to dry for months. Good dry oak, liked that, except for the odd piece of blackjack oak. If they made bats out of that, would never break one.

Love this clip of the ultimate firewood splitter though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdXzaGFkWfU

GOT to get one of those!

White ash, green ash, and hackberry it aint happening. I'm a veteran fabricator and a rookie blacksmith. I looked at the link hoping to find something I'd like to build for myself. Think I'll pass.