• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unit(s) bitches

Weight, gravitational force of attraction on an object, caused by the presence of a massive second object, such as the Earth or Moon. Weight is a consequence of the universal law of gravitation: any two objects, because of their masses, attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Thus more massive objects, of course, weigh more in the same location; the farther an object is from the Earth, the smaller is its weight. The weight of an object at the Earth’s South Pole is slightly more than its weight at the Equator because the polar radius of the Earth is slightly less than the equatorial radius. Though the mass of an object remains constant, its weight varies according to its location. The smaller mass and radius of the Moon compared with those of the Earth combine to make the same object on the Moon’s surface weigh one-sixth the value of its weight on Earth.

Page C-13

grains are mass.

Don't phuck with the fizicist on units.

Becuase in flight, a bullet has no weight. Its in free fall. Come at me bro

It drives me nuts when people say, "What grain weight", or, "What grain of bullet", do I ..... Grains is a unit of weight, like mph is a unit of speed. Help stop the bastardization of the English language.

Grain is a unit of mass and is defined as the weight needed for 252.458 units to balance a cubic inch of distilled water at 30 inches of mercury pressure and 62 degrees Fahrenheit for both the air and water.

• Haha
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Grain is a unit of mass and is defined as the weight needed for 252.458 units to balance a cubic inch of distilled water at 30 inches of mercury pressure and 62 degrees Fahrenheit for both the air and water.

Such a boomer definition

its 64.798 91 milligrams. Exactly. As in that is the current definition of 1 grain

Just like an inch is 25.4 millimeters. Exactly. As in that is the current definition of 1 inch

Don't tell anyone but the "Imperial System" is now based on the metric system. Had been for about 60 years.

shhhhhhhh it's a secret.

Webster was not an artilleryman.

I do concur the Mr. Daniel Webster was not an artilleryman (I did check just in case ;)). Your source was a good read and I appreciate the info. I will concede that that original design was a specific round that contained the "shrapnel" and was intended for personnel; however, as a fellow red-leg I would point to a specific sentence at the end of the article, "The projectile casing, which merely acted as a carrier for the shrapnel balls, was not designed to fracture or fragment." Thus the internal balls were necessary to cause shrapnel. The current M107 and M795 HE projectiles for the M777 howitzer are both designed to fragment resulting in shrapnel casualties to both hard and soft targets.

Cheers to St. Barb!

B4A1056E-120B-40C5-9CDA-65111CF2F565.jpeg

Such a boomer definition

its 64.798 91 milligrams. Exactly. As in that is the current definition of 1 grain

Just like an inch is 25.4 millimeters. Exactly. As in that is the current definition of 1 inch

Don't tell anyone but the "Imperial System" is now based on the metric system. Had been for about 60 years.

shhhhhhhh it's a secret.

Yeah but when I saw that definition I couldn't help myself. 🤣
PS I've been using the metric system since getting an engineering degree 40 years ago. Yup, that makes me a boomer. 😀

Reactions: DocRDS
Yeah but when I saw that definition I couldn't help myself. 🤣
PS I've been using the metric system since getting an engineering degree 40 years ago. Yup, that makes me a boomer. 😀

An old engineer like myself (not quite a boomer, but accused on many occasion!)

Well you will be happy to know that even though the kilogram and grain has been has been redefined, the units for conversion are based on the previous definitions.

If you find yourself in Dallas, the first round of pints are on me. (and I promise NOT to measure them exactly!)

-----

So for those playing at home:

1 grain is 64.798 91 milligrams based on the previous definition of the grain when fixing the Imperial system to the metric system

1 milligram is 1/1000 of a gram

1000 grams is a kilogram

The kilogram is now fixed (2019) to give Plank's Constant to be 6.62607015E-34 J s exactly.

The value of Plank's constant was chosen so that previous version of the kilogram is unchanged to within the margin of error of measurement. (Previous measurement was a Pt-Ir cylinder, which in turn was based on a liter of water at 4C (max density of water))

A Joule is a kg m^2/s^2 so a J s is kg m^2 / s

Thus to get a kg, I need a fixed definition of meter and second

1 meter is 1/ 299 792 458 the distance traveled of a photon in 1 second (fixing the meter to the previous definition of the platinum bar to within measurement precision)

1 second is 9,192,631,770 periods of the transition between hyperfine split ground state levels of a Cs-133 atom at 0K. This number was chosen to match the previous definition of the second corresponding to a fraction of the solar year 1900 (Gregorian Calendar! --there's another post)

Please adjust your scales/balances accordingly.

Last edited:
Im seriously offended the op didnt pop back here and defend himself.

Kinda took the wind outa my sails.

Reactions: Bender