• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unlimited budget .308. What you choosing?

LRI full build.

Done.

F4F77E01-54EB-4974-B8EA-A02F91C751ED.jpeg
2D4B1F9F-4F43-462F-9081-F5C305C0E58E.jpeg
E712B05A-05C0-4F7C-92AF-DA2DDDD3501C.jpeg

Rambo couldn't hold a candle to me. One time, with my savage, I shot in the rain. The tolerances are loose so that it automatically cleans itself.

Edit: #AsgoodasanAIbutatenththecost

I would say AI or TRG.
What happens when it's time to rebarrel a Tacops rifle? It sounds like it pretty much has to be done at Tacops to keep the same specs/guarantee? I may be wrong here. Is a Tacops rifle that's been rebarreled by someone else still considered a full Tacops rifle? How will the Tacops owner retiring in the near future affect rebarreling down the road?

Original post:

Unlimited budget .308. What you choosing?
Thread starterman32ahan Start dateThursday at 10:58 AM
Unwatch
Capstone Lapua
man32ahan
Sergeant of the Hide Belligerents Minuteman
Thursday at 10:58 AM
Add bookmark
As titles states. I’m solid on all calibers except .308. Open to bolt action or gas gun.

Not opposed to buying or building.

What I want out of the gun/intended purposes are:

1)Mainly going to LEO local shooting classes.
2)Paper punching and ringing steel at various distances.
3)I want the wow factor when I show up with the system.
4)20 inchish barrel.
5)Want the best accuracy possible.
6)Do not care about the weight of the rifle.

With that said, what you choosing?

AI, GAP, JP, Custom build, etc.

Thanks in advance.

In regard to the notion that "there isn't even anything brand-able about a TacOps rifle they just assemble other people parts and smith a 700 action in the same way any other good smith can do it", I submit that is a false statement and that not all gunsmiths build rifles the same way.

The rifle is still an assembly of other people's parts and thus IMO is not brand-able to another company.

You can modify a 700 anyway you want and when you're done you have a modified 700 and one with the same price tag as an AX at that.

Can anyone in this thread tell us how many swat teams and counter terrorism units have used AI over the years? I would guess that AI's resume here is longer.

I went back and forth on this question for at least three years. My criteria: a 308 semi with a military origin.

They all turned out to be either an AR-10 Kluge (a Kluge not because they are unreliable, but because there's only some nebulous standards for what an AR-10's specs look like), or a service rifle with service rifle-like accuracy, or a modification with little provenance, and not a lot of standardization. And they're all pretty danged expensive.

I went outsize the box, and into another box that's been there long enough to have some faith in the concept.

Back story. I was trained on the Garand in the service, own a DCM Garand which I glassbedded and modified with better sights and extended LOP, and have an extensive personal set of maintenance equipment due to also being assigned to maintaining a VFW Post's set of eight ceremonial Garands. My 30-06 Garand shoots to N/M spec.

Answer:

RM1308SPCLIHC​
CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand IHC receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line.
A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber.
$1250
Free Shipping
Shipping within 2 weeks

$1250 is a lot of money, but by comparison, it's lower cost than most, has a solid provenance, is built by a busy and experienced shop, and is based very closely on a platform I am pretty familiar with already, and has a growing history as a well configured and accurate rifle.

For example, it has 2" more barrel length than the M14/M1a, something that the 308 could use more effectively, and the SA M1a currently lists at $1733.00, some things I appreciate a lot. I have owned an M1a, also glassbedded; and it was s solid shooter (for a service grade rifle).

Is it perfection? Maybe not; what is?

Is it a production rifle with standards and a following? Probably.

It's affordable, as the most money I've spent on a single rifle purchase. Because of the expenditure, it needs to be budgeted, and is probably still a few months off in my future.

I think it's a viable answer to the O/P question.

Greg

Reactions: man32ahan
How about a Scar 20S?
good accuracy, firepower and reliability, and since it is relatively scarce, folks will want to see how it runs.

I would say AI or TRG.
What happens when it's time to rebarrel a Tacops rifle? It sounds like it pretty much has to be done at Tacops to keep the same specs/guarantee? I may be wrong here. Is a Tacops rifle that's been rebarreled by someone else still considered a full Tacops rifle? How will the Tacops owner retiring in the near future affect rebarreling down the road?
Burning out a308 boltgun that is t your only rifle. That’s going to take a looong time

I'm laughing at all the people that are
going on about AI's durability in this thread. It's pretty much irrelevant because how many people actually use the rifles in these conditions that make rifles fail? I know I don't. Hasn't AI had some reliability issues with the AXMC as far as bolts and headspace differences?

I've seen more than a few AI's go down in competitions. Their "indestructible" reputation came from a period when just the sight of dust would lock up a custom gun.

They are great rifles no doubt, but their reputation for reliability over customs is overblown in this current era of precision bolt guns.

Doesn't help that every AI owner that hardly shoots in more than moderate conditions has to keep spreading the rhetoric of how tough and reliable they are, for the sake of seeking confirmation of their $7000 rifle.

Tac Ops rifles certainly aren't for everyone. I can understand why some would prefer an AI or a different custom rifle over a Tac Ops. But if you think it's just a rem700 rifle slapped together with parts from other manufacturers, then you obviously have never handled a Tac Ops rifle.

That rem700 action is so reworked, that it feels every bit as smooth as a Defiance that has been nitrided or DLC'ed (I know, I have both). The rifle is machining art - as I've read elsewhere, it's the Hattori Hanzo of precision rifles. The level of detail put into these rifles is insane.

I could see how some people couldn't appreciate a Tac Ops - some people can't tell the difference between a well done cooked Walmart red light special steak and a rare cooked dry aged wagyu ribeye steak. But saying that a Tac Ops is just a rem700 is showing your ignorance.

Get the AI in .308 Then unscrew the barrel and put a 6 or 6.5 variant on it. done.

pass on the before mentioned Quigley Ford

Hi,

OP..have you contacted your Agency legal department and discussed with them the possible differences on the legal/insurance underwriting side of this decision?

Only they would know what your Departments insurance underwriter will think, do and/or act in regards to the insurance pros/cons of each rifle you are discussing.

Use of personal firearms for SRT kind of lends me to think you are at a relatively small department and the bean counters may view you utilizing your own firearm as "great, we do not have to pay for it" type mentality....the Legal department may want to be included in the decision making process.

Sincerely,
Theis

AIAX all the way, per Lowlight: the Holy Grail of rifles. Also look at the PX and you will see that AI does NOT loses it's value in resale market. This by FAR my best purchased to date.

you know they already could make x32 speed CD burners when they started selling x2, x4, x8 etc....

But people don't go around saying how they hold their value ?‍♂️
haha, right.

i just meant that it wouldn't be a very good business model to sell the last rifle you'll ever want or need. ;)

Reactions: Bradu
Yep, I had no idea how bad the Mk 3 value would be affected when the AT came out or I would have unloaded mine lol.

The AT was an pretty big improvement over the MKIII. I honestly don’t see enough of a change is the AXSR to justify one. I think prices will be affected some but not crazy. Hell you still saw used AXMCs being sold for almost the same price as you could buy a new one during the big sales.

The AT was an pretty big improvement over the MKIII. I honestly don’t see enough of a change is the AXSR to justify one. I think prices will be affected some but not crazy. Hell you still saw used AXMCs being sold for almost the same price as you could buy a new one during the big sales.

It was a huge improvement over the MK 3. Some people will still have to have the ASR because it's the latest and greatest or just for the handguard change.

... or to the guys that paid $7k for AW308's just before the quick barrel change AT's appeared out of no where at $4k

A good AW 2.0 is still a thing of beauty, sure the AT has the quick barrel change... but there is no way I'd trade my AW for an AT, because well my AW shoots amazingly and I have no interest in doing anything that could possibly ever change that.

Now that being said.... eventually I may buy an AT and put the AX rear on it for other calibers... or just get another AXMC...

As titles states. I’m solid on all calibers except .308. Open to bolt action or gas gun.

4)20 inchish barrel.

Man32ahn, I think you should check out a company in Fla called Tactical Rifles inc. The owners name is Rodney. His reputation for his level of detail, and workmanship , and reliability is well known in the LEO, and shooting world.
The wait times are rather long, and can be expensive. You will get a rifle that you will never forget!
I guarantee if you show up with one of his rifles on the range, your peers will take notice!

4)20 inchish barrel.

Man32ahn, I think you should check out a company in Fla called Tactical Rifles inc. The owners name is Rodney. His reputation for his level of detail, and workmanship , and reliability is well known in the LEO, and shooting world.
The wait times are rather long, and can be expensive. You will get a rifle that you will never forget!
I guarantee if you show up with one of his rifles on the range, your peers will take notice!
in case the OP is oblivious.

letting Rodney/Tactical Rifles build you a rifle would be worse than literally lighting 40 $100 bills on fire

4)20 inchish barrel.

Funny part is i actually have a Tactical Rifles 308 in a AICS.
had it built around 2005-6 if i remember
supremely accurate and great trigger as well
multiple 308 FGMM 168gr quarter minute groups @ 100
have a few pics around if i can find them

then sometime between "my rifle" and the lawsuit they became a total shit show, screwing people every chance they could

then i moved on to other customs...then on to AI and the saga continues

New York
42 (2 weeks)
Like my AX better though
Maybe I’m a old soul lol

Just curious...how many of you Tac Ops proponents are under 50yo, and/or live outside of CA?
I bought my first Tac Ops Rifle when I was under 50yo. The last two I was over 50. I live in Michigan.

Just beautiful!!

I've seen more than a few AI's go down in competitions. Their "indestructible" reputation came from a period when just the sight of dust would lock up a custom gun.

They are great rifles no doubt, but their reputation for reliability over customs is overblown in this current era of precision bolt guns.

Doesn't help that every AI owner that hardly shoots in more than moderate conditions has to keep spreading the rhetoric of how tough and reliable they are, for the sake of seeking confirmation of their $7000 rifle.

I guess I got pinged in this thread, but being away I was off comms

I just want to say about a Tac Ops, it is the most accurate rifle with factory ammo you will ever shoot. It cannot be compared in a traditional sense, instead you have to look at it like a custom 1911.

The rifles are first off, Birdsong finishes, not some crappy black oxide, sure black oxide will rust through, Birdsong will not. If you are not smart enough to understand this difference, here is a link: Birdsong Page

It's not just 308s either, the very first Tac Ops I ever saw in the wild was an LA County Sheriff at Rifles Only with a 300WM. This rifle and suppressor combo was about 18 years old and it was the best gun on the line. It was not only insanely accurate, it did not look 18 years old. This was an issued cop gun, and was a hammer. Mike Routinely wins contracts for rifles based on Merit and not Name Brand. He beats out a lot of companies we use everyday and says very little.

This rifle was insanely impressive, Nestor breaks it out (he was originally shooting his AI AX) and just walks all over the range 1st round hitting a ton of targets from 100 to a mile. The only reason he did not 1st round hit everything was data, it was new and he didn't have data so we were collecting it.

Never underestimate a Tac Ops rifle and don't take the internet images for gospel as they look different in person. I covet my Tac Ops rifles and would not hestitate to get another.

Consider the custom 1911 world with $3000 to $5000 pistols that are bucket list purchases for guys. That is how you look at a Tac Ops, it's not just a Remington, it's a Remington that has been hand worked on, it's tolerances, fit and finish are really incredible and Mike knows every rifle that leaves his shop.

The only difference is, Mike don't care what a few gamers think, these are work rifles mission built. He does not chase trends.