• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unlimited budget .308. What you choosing?

How about a Tac Ops Strider knife!! ?
A8F1125B-DBF5-4E3F-9972-B4D5A757763E.jpeg

Reactions: dozer460
Thanks for replying, @Lowlight. So I take it your vote is the tac ops over the AX.

I know with either, you get amazing rifles. I have my AI, and since I've got it scratched off my bucket list, a tango51 and sako M10 are the only ones left.

Reactions: Graywolf.260
it's a tool, a 1\2 or 9\16

My AI rifles are everyday shooters the Tac Ops is not. Could it be, of course yes, but I don't use it like that.

I have a lot more AI rifles than my Tac Ops, so their use is different.

This goes back to mission, wants and needs, not everyone needs the same thing, and our wants are unique. Stop trying to put everything in the same box. Labels Are hurtful.

Well said. There's no one rifle that's best of everything - there's compromises no matter which way you go.

Which is why I have one Tac Ops, 3 other custom rifles and no AI's. Ever rifle in my stable has its purpose.

As titles states. I’m solid on all calibers except .308. Open to bolt action or gas gun.

Not opposed to buying or building.

What I want out of the gun/intended purposes are:

1)Mainly going to LEO local shooting classes.
2)Paper punching and ringing steel at various distances.
3)I want the wow factor when I show up with the system.
4)20 inchish barrel.
5)Want the best accuracy possible.
6)Do not care about the weight of the rifle.

With that said, what you choosing?

AI, GAP, JP, Custom build, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Tough call.
I have/had a Ax308, axmc as well as a trg22. I have also always wanted a TacOps rifle. I do think that the TacOps is behind the AX308 in your #3. Unless your partners know what it is, it just looks like another modified rem700.

I can't see giving up my AX308, but I will eventually add a tac ops to the stable.

To the guys who can't appreciate the craftsmanship that Mike puts into his rifles, you had better stay clear of custom 1911 and D'arcy Echols Winchester model 70's(another one that's on the list)

Reactions: man32ahan
Hi,

OP..have you contacted your Agency legal department and discussed with them the possible differences on the legal/insurance underwriting side of this decision?

Only they would know what your Departments insurance underwriter will think, do and/or act in regards to the insurance pros/cons of each rifle you are discussing.

Use of personal firearms for SRT kind of lends me to think you are at a relatively small department and the bean counters may view you utilizing your own firearm as "great, we do not have to pay for it" type mentality....the Legal department may want to be included in the decision making process.

Sincerely,
Theis
They honestly have no preference on what direction I decide to go.

They honestly have no preference on what direction I decide to go.

Mile High does alot of LEO sales particularly as an AI dealer. Maybe you could give them a call and see if they can offer any insight based on their experiences that might be of resource to you. MHSA's customer service has always been top notch I'm sure they'd be happy to spend the time with you.

Lowlight: "My AI rifles are everyday shooters the Tac Ops is not. Could it be, of course yes, but I don't use it like that " If I purchase a fine rifle, I want to shoot it everyday.

Lowlight: "My AI rifles are everyday shooters the Tac Ops is not. Could it be, of course yes, but I don't use it like that " If I purchase a fine rifle, I want to shoot it everyday.

There's no reason why you couldn't shoot a Tac Ops every day. They're rifles, and meant to be shot. They are not fine China.

There's a lot of art in the way Mike builds his rifles. Some people would prefer to "abuse" other rifles on a daily basis, rifles that are a dime a dozen such as the AI.

I think it's a shame when people don't take their Tac Ops out to shoot, some prefer to only take them out on special occasions to perfectly preserve them. Mines been used and abused, and some of the scratches I've put on my Tac Ops would probably give other owners a stroke. For me, it's a rifle. It's a very special rifle in its own way, but a rifle nonetheless.

There's no reason why you couldn't shoot a Tac Ops every day. They're rifles, and meant to be shot. They are not fine China.

There's a lot of art in the way Mike builds his rifles. Some people would prefer to "abuse" other rifles on a daily basis, rifles that are a dime a dozen such as the AI.

I think it's a shame when people don't take their Tac Ops out to shoot, some prefer to only take them out on special occasions to perfectly preserve them. Mines been used and abused, and some of the scratches I've put on my Tac Ops would probably give other owners a stroke. For me, it's a rifle. It's a very special rifle in its own way, but a rifle nonetheless.

I actually have a barreled action Mike has done in 260, the question is the stock as I want it in a chassis with a magazine, but Mike is very particular. If we ever decide where to bed it, that version will get used and abused, but my Tango doesn't need to be shot, so it stays fresh, lol. I have shot it, and demoed it for departments, but it's not really used.

It been birdsonged and is in his vault. I sent him a chassis originally and he told me No, he has to do it. Which is why you get a rifle from Mike, it's on his terms. I find it funny and refreshing at the same time, so it sits and waits until the day he decides I can have it, lol

I actually have a barreled action Mike has done in 260, the question is the stock as I want it in a chassis with a magazine, but Mike is very particular. If we ever decide where to bed it, that version will get used and abused, but my Tango doesn't need to be shot, so it stays fresh, lol. I have shot it, and demoed it for departments, but it's not really used.

It been birdsonged and is in his vault. I sent him a chassis originally and he told me No, he has to do it. Which is why you get a rifle from Mike, it's on his terms. I find it funny and refreshing at the same time, so it sits and waits until the day he decides I can have it, lol

Part of the allure to Tac Ops rifles is how damn picky Mike is. Love it or hate it, you have to respect the man for his perfectionism for the rifles coming out of his shop.

It's pretty funny that he's holding your barreled action hostage over a chassis though :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Steel head
I actually have a barreled action Mike has done in 260, the question is the stock as I want it in a chassis with a magazine, but Mike is very particular. If we ever decide where to bed it, that version will get used and abused, but my Tango doesn't need to be shot, so it stays fresh, lol. I have shot it, and demoed it for departments, but it's not

really used.

260 Tango51
Keen eyes will notice a little something extra on this one.
I couldn’t bare taking it out so I sold it recently.
240EC2DA-12DD-48BC-8195-00FFE3AE8C8A.png

Tac Ops and have him hand engrave the floor plate. It’s on par with a Ted Yost 1911.

I guess I got pinged in this thread, but being away I was off comms

I just want to say about a Tac Ops, it is the most accurate rifle with factory ammo you will ever shoot. It cannot be compared in a traditional sense, instead you have to look at it like a custom 1911.

The rifles are first off, Birdsong finishes, not some crappy black oxide, sure black oxide will rust through, Birdsong will not. If you are not smart enough to understand this difference, here is a link: Birdsong Page

It's not just 308s either, the very first Tac Ops I ever saw in the wild was an LA County Sheriff at Rifles Only with a 300WM. This rifle and suppressor combo was about 18 years old and it was the best gun on the line. It was not only insanely accurate, it did not look 18 years old. This was an issued cop gun, and was a hammer. Mike Routinely wins contracts for rifles based on Merit and not Name Brand. He beats out a lot of companies we use everyday and says very little.

This rifle was insanely impressive, Nestor breaks it out (he was originally shooting his AI AX) and just walks all over the range 1st round hitting a ton of targets from 100 to a mile. The only reason he did not 1st round hit everything was data, it was new and he didn't have data so we were collecting it.

Never underestimate a Tac Ops rifle and don't take the internet images for gospel as they look different in person. I covet my Tac Ops rifles and would not hestitate to get another.

Consider the custom 1911 world with $3000 to $5000 pistols that are bucket list purchases for guys. That is how you look at a Tac Ops, it's not just a Remington, it's a Remington that has been hand worked on, it's tolerances, fit and finish are really incredible and Mike knows every rifle that leaves his shop.

The only difference is, Mike don't care what a few gamers think, these are work rifles mission built. He does not chase trends.

Frank,

Thanks for your comments, and that was a really fun and informative weekend shooting two great rifle systems. There was no doubt shooting the Tac Ops to distance was easier for me than the AI PSR. The accuracy of factory loads, with ergonomics of the stock and finely tuned trigger just worked well for me. If you recall, when finished with COF I got up and commented "that was like cheating". To say a Tac Ops rifle is a collection of stock parts is not correct, and does not represent the final product at all. As Mike will say, the purpose of the receiver is to hold the bolt in place. The Rem 700 action does this well, and most of the great custom actions are based on that design. I'm fortunate to have owned rifles with Defiance, Surgeon, GAP and AI actions, and the tuned Tac Ops Rem 700 action meets or beats them all.

The AI is a great rifle system as well, and the combination of easy barrel/caliber switch and robust design makes it a winner. There are no bad choices between the two.

Happened to take my new Delta 51 Rem 260 with Surgeon action/DBM and Trigger Tech Trigger to range yesterday. Target is cold bore 5 shot group with one flier that was on me (Sorry Mike). Running McCourt Munitions 140 Berger Hybrids in Lapua brass at 2945 fps. Went out to 1200 yards with 8.8 mils elev. No drama, same accuracy and reliability you'd expect. Nice to have choices, and Mike will do custom orders within reason.

Sorry I missed SH Team Challenge this year. Just didn't work out but looking forward to next year.

Attachments

• IMG_0037-3.jpg
    IMG_0037-3.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 148
M5NSX, that is absolutely gorgeous. I didn’t realize he wasn’t doing engraving anymore.

A Tac Ops, GAP, Surgeon, Kelbly build would suit you well.

But something that no one has mentioned is a Tubb 2000, or his latest tactical variation of it. Great rifle with one of the smoothest actions out there and fast lock time. Incredibly versatile.

M5NSX, that is absolutely gorgeous. I didn’t realize he wasn’t doing engraving anymore.

Sorry but I was mistaken. Mike still does laser engraving of the floorplate but no longer hand engraving like mine.
C47ADC45-E40E-4415-9B67-E08180A1A9DB.jpeg

Reactions: shooter65
So having owned several AI rifles and a TacOps Tango 51, I have to say I enjoy both for different reasons. However for all of the AI is bulletproof crowd... you didn't see the pics of my AXMC where both feed ramps cracked and it wouldn't feed ammo. That was with around 1000 rounds on it. AI replaced the action under warranty. If I had to carry my AI through a building, or carry it for an extended period of time, I'd be miserable... my TacOps has a 16.5" barrel and is compact, easy to wield and shoots great for as far as I've tested it which is 500yds so far... I doubt many agencies inside the US are going to take a shot farther than that...

Reactions: M5NSX
So having owned several AI rifles and a TacOps Tango 51, I have to say I enjoy both for different reasons. However for all of the AI is bulletproof crowd... you didn't see the pics of my AXMC where both feed ramps cracked and it wouldn't feed ammo. That was with around 1000 rounds on it. AI replaced the action under warranty. If I had to carry my AI through a building, or carry it for an extended period of time, I'd be miserable... my TacOps has a 16.5" barrel and is compact, easy to wield and shoots great for as far as I've tested it which is 500yds so far... I doubt many agencies inside the US are going to take a shot farther than that...View attachment 7114744View attachment 7114745View attachment 7114746

Sweet Tango!! Need a can for that bad boy!!

Reactions: atombomb