• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unplugging from cable TV / Cell phone

ArmyJerry

fukallyall
Banned !
Nov 22, 2012
Kicking Ass Somewhere
Has anyone here unplugged from cable or satellite TV?

I dont watch anything except Cartoon Network and FX cartoons at night so thinking about unplugging from cable tv, wife just told me phone bill is 300 and the cable is 250 per month,,, that adds up to 3 motorcycles every 4 years.

What’s your experience??

• Love
Reactions: RPN and acudaowner
Yea, we dumped sat tv probably 10 years ago. Moved out to the sticks 2 years ago, no internet service besides satellite so dumped that too. Only thing left is cell phone. We use them for the Internet too.

Just cancelled my DirecTV account. We only using Internet streaming, via Amazon Fire, with Amazon Prime and Hulu. We are about to delete Netflix too. With our 200mgb Cable Internet, we have all the TV we want, without commercials and we do not pay for a lot of junk/crap we had on DirecTV.

The only thing I'm missing is live baseball, but hey, if I want I can get it during the season, ditto for any other major sporting events if we want them.

We are saving well over $150 a month by dropping satellite TV, and no Cable TV either.

I dont watch anything except Cartoon Network and FX cartoons at night so thinking about unplugging from cable tv, wife just told me phone bill is 300 and the cable is 250 per month,,, that adds up to 3 motorcycles every 4 years.

What’s your experience??

Geebus, dude, your phone bill is $300 and cable is $250? Good God, look into that. What they heck are you paying for?

Reactions: shoobe01
stopped watching tv 14 years ago . I did see the got series to the end but saw that on my pc . yea no commercials or adds there are far too many of them per minute of show for me to want to pay for cable again . Besides with the saved money I can buy more ammo a great trade off in my mind , same for the phone isn't anyone calling me but scammers ..

Reactions: ArmyJerry
Been 3 years next month. Use a fire stick from Amazon Prime. I believe Prime now is 119.00 for the year.

Last edited:
The $3.97 basket at china mart is where I get new movies. Dumped dish the day after the wife passed away, an never looked back. Cell bill is 20.00 bucks total per month unlimited for a flip. Fuck those other phones. Internet is 49 a month unlimited, may go back to two cans an a string before it over. Ham radio is where I get the most reliable news from across the ponds.

Got pissed at the incessant idiotic noise from the TV about 15 years ago, ripped it off the wall, and thew it threw the door into the driveway. Now I wish Id had better foresight and run a long extension cord into the field and plugged one of the idiots. I do watch movies on Hulu and Youtube, but fuck commercial TV its a distraction and vexation to the soul.

I don't have a cell-phone. My Lady does, a basic phone with textability, just to ensure where she is and that she can reach me if/when needed.
We don't have cable here. We shit-canned that many many years ago. Anything I want to watch is 'getable' if you know where to look.
Virus free, commercial free, accurately labled content with the choice of quality for each show. Free.

Still have the home-phone/landline as well as internet. I'm good with paying for those two services, as I use them. Not paying for that which I don't use, as we simply don't have the extra funds to throw away.

What’s your experience??
Ours is 1000 a month! Equal to 5 cases of ammo! I like Netflix though!

I haven't had cable in 5 years, with youtube, amazon prime, hulu and commie netflix there's lots of options to not pay 200 a month.
But I do miss it I'm a huge fan of moto gp and F1 every time I see race highlights on youtube I miss watching the races live.

Reactions: Texascbr
Now convincing wife to get rid of cable, actually she is convincing me on condition I allow her to buy me a new 500 XCF W
But how are you gonna watch the democratic debates? Oh yea, I forgot, we have the bear pit!

Ditched tv all together over 2 years ago. Only internet service is on cell phones. If not for work I’d get rid of my phone in a heart beat.

Join the local street bike club they have watch parties

I haven't had cable in 5 years, with youtube, amazon prime, hulu and commie netflix there's lots of options to not pay 200 a month.
But I do miss it I'm a huge fan of moto gp and F1 every time I see race highlights on youtube I miss watching the races live.

My experience (love / hate relationship with Comcast) is I'm really tired of paying $300+ a month to watch a boatload of commercials they are getting paid for. Easily 20%+ is now commercials for products I could care less about. Beside the fact that their equipment architecture sucks and reminds me of the speed of my first Compaq 386 computer in the 80's.

They also don't air my "priority" programs...… like MotoGP, so I subscribed and that hasn't helped their cause at all. Watching in HD when you want without commercials and educated commentators is the only way to fly.

….. I just can't get my wife to dump them because of all the fabricated crap shows she likes to burns hours of her life on. Same goes for the landline phone. Nothing but solicitation calls any more. I don't ever answer it.

I don't have time for Tv so I don't have a Cable, My phone bill looks good because I hardly touch the phone but I use the internet a lot and I do a lot of Netflix during the weekends.

Cut the cable cord a few weeks ago and stream what I want to watch. I actually like it better than cable.

I have a work supplied smart phone. If I supplied my own cell it would be a tough flip phone and nothing more.

I haven't had cable for a long time there is everything I want to watch online and I can watch it when I feel like it.

What’s your experience??

Maybe she just wants you off the SH..... is she a democrat ?

The only people that haven't realized the trend are those that keep trying to sell us 300 channels of crap programming that we could care less about.

The other real issue I have is with the large metropolitan mindset the majority of news show host and contributors have which I could care less about. If I wanted to live in a contaminated cesspool...... I'd move to one.

The most valuable asset we have is our time and they want to waste it at astronomical net content per minute rates.

Turned cable and house phone off 4yr ago. I only pay for Gigabit 1000/1000 FIOS internet for $79.99/month and VOIP for $35/year.

Been using IPTV for 4 years now and it's awesome. Get everything I could get on cable for pennies on the dollar. Full UHD quality, TV Catchup, etc

Reactions: ArmyJerry and Sieg
On a somewhat related note, talk to your sons about finding a good Pentecostal girl. They’ll never scream over a spider cause they grew up handling serpents.

I can't get rid of TV because my mother-in-law wants to watch the evening news. I can't get rid of the mother-in-law because of the wife. I did get rid of all the cable channels except the local broadcast channels. I tried an antenna, but we're just a little bit too far from the transmission towers.

I have Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Pluto TV on a Roku box. I moved my land line to Magic Jack a few years ago, but never hooked up a handset to it. The robo-callers generally don't leave messages. I receive an email for any voice mails that do get left, and I decide if it warrants a call back. The ones that are only 4 or 5 seconds are the telemarketers and those just get deleted. During the election cycle, the house is quiet... no phone calls.

I really wish I could drop the cable TV entirely, but who would make me sammiches? Dilemmas, dilemmas, I like sammiches.

I can't get rid of TV because my mother-in-law wants to watch the evening news. I can't get rid of the mother-in-law because of the wife. I did get rid of all the cable channels except the local broadcast channels. I tried an antenna, but we're just a little bit too far from the transmission towers.

I have Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Pluto TV on a Roku box. I moved my land line to Magic Jack a few years ago, but never hooked up a handset to it. The robo-callers generally don't leave messages. I receive an email for any voice mails that do get left, and I decide if it warrants a call back. The ones that are only 4 or 5 seconds are the telemarketers and those just get deleted. During the election cycle, the house is quiet... no phone calls.

I really wish I could drop the cable TV entirely, but who would make me sammiches? Dilemmas, dilemmas, I like sammiches.

I get every local ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX for every city in USA with my IPTV service....

Got tv 14 yrs ago when wife was pregers. I should have told her no. Funny thing is she grew up in a house with no tv (not even vhs tapes) because tv was satan. I think her parents were on to something.
If tv was Satan then how do they feel about you. ?

I got rid of cable/satellite TV probably 15+ years ago and dumped the land line with all it's taxes and crank calls like 10 years ago.

I unplugged the cable right after the divorce, we used to get it for free due to my ex's job. I cut back on a lot of things then actually. I kept the internet, have my own modem, so it's not too bad price wise. I had to get a burner cell phone just so I could facilitate the divorce and now for finding a new home. And for emergencies since I'm by myself mostly. I plan on getting a PDA or just using the Kestrel if it'll do the job when I get to that point --just something portable for ballistics calculation.

But with Neflix, Hulu and Prime, I get plenty of shit to watch. And I have the computer here, you guys. I don't feel like I'm missing much, I still hear about all the important shit I suppose. I don't get indoctrinated with the bullshit propaganda either, which let me tell you, I do not miss at all. I never really watched the other channels. I hate commercials.

AJ, you really should watch Colin Quinn on Netflix, some special he did. Basically says he feels we're heading for a civil war, need to divorce, maybe even state by state (coming together like Greece if there's a war) two party system is fucked, we always lose, etc. Maybe it's preaching to the choir with us here, but it's nice to see we ain't the only ones feeling this way anymore and it's becoming more "mainstream" I suppose.

My wife and kids are pretty much the only ones in my house who watch TV. Every now and then I'll watch some South Park or make fun of the 600 lb. fat bitches my wife likes to watch, but in all honesty I feel there hasn't been anything worth watching on TV since The Sopranos.

What’s your experience??
5 years ago. Kept jacking prices. $120 month for basic cable? Gtfohwts

Reactions: oneshot86
If you are streaming and want local channels check of locast.org. That app is limited to 12 markets and DFW is one and I get 12 local channels including the “Big 4”.

Sling TV will also offer some local channels depending on location.

We dumped it before we moved and we found that we got a lot more stuff done around the house and the procrastination was minimal.

Only have cellphone. I come on the hide, YouTube, and research other stuff. I would honestly like to get a flip phone and focus on real life stuff. I always feel in a hurry to get back on my phone