• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes **Updated** Lightweight hunting scope

Mk23Bill

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2006
Lost Angeles
I’m putting together a lightweight, mulie/elk bolt action hunting rifle and would like to begin considering optics. FWIW, the rifle will be chambered in .308, for distances out to 400 yards and with pic rail installed will come in at under 6lbs.

My current primary hunting optic is a Swarovski 1.5-6x42 that’s given me 30 years of outstanding service. But it’s steel tube comes with a weight penalty and I wouldn’t mind having a little more magnification on the upper end.

I’m on the wrong side of 50 now, so a large objective lens isn’t of much use. Figure 42mm as a max here. Likewise, illuminated reticles aren’t a priority. I’ve often appreciated having the ability to dial down the power in close cover, so something in the 2 to 12 zoom range would be ideal. I could live with 10x on the top end, but wouldn’t like to go any lower than that.

As for weight, if something robust, weatherproof and with excellent glass were available at around 16 oz., that would be fantastic. Most hunting is done in the upper elevations of Utah where sun, rain and snow are all possible in the same afternoon. I’ve seen a 2-12x42 Leupold VX6 that comes pretty close. The illuminated reticle is unnecessary, it weighs 20 oz. and has no parallax adjustment, so not perfect, but not unreasonable either. Anything better come to mind?

Last edited:
I've been impressed with my razor LHT, but since you don't want the illumination you could do with 1 of these. It's 2-10x40 coming in at 15.4oz and they can be found in the PX around the $4-500 mark since they are "last" gen.

They have a 3-15x42 that's 16.5oz.

Or why not go with another Swarovski? They make a non illuminated 2-12x42

I'm in the same boat. Just purchased the springfield waypoint and looking for a lightweight scope.
I'm torn between the huskemaw 4-16x42
Swarovski z5 3.5-18x44
Zeiss v4 4-16x44
and the Leupold vx5hd 3-15x44

I looked through the Swarovski zeiss and leupold and really liked the zeiss. Hopefully checking out the huskemaw on Monday. Heard really great things about them.
Swarovski was super clear too but been reading bad things about their tracking. It's super lightweight though.

I’ve heard great things about Leupold VX6HD 2-12x42, no one says you have to use illumination. Stick with Swarovski since you already like them. If you want something new check out Leica Magnus or Blaser for even better glass.

Sincere thanks to all who have contributed thus far.

Do you guys think I’m making too much of the parallax adjustment requirement? With some of these magnifications getting up into the 12 to 15 power range, the difference in fine focus between 200 and 500 yards would seem important to me. But maybe I’m overstating this.

Anyway, here’s a quick rundown of some currently in the consideration set:

- Leupold VX6 2-12x42 Strengths: right in the zoom range sweet spot, only 17 oz. Compromises: No parallax adjustment

- Meopta 1.7-10x42 Strengths: zoom range sweet spot, great reticle selection. Compromises: No parallax adjustment, over 20 oz.

- Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50 Strengths: 16 oz., reasonable price for Swarovski glass Compromises: No parallax adjustment, slightly outside preferred zoom range on low end.

- Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40 Strengths: Zoom range sweet spot, 15 oz. Compromises: No parallax adjustment.

- Swarovski Z6 2-12x50 Strengths: zoom range, 18 oz. Compromises: No parallax adjustment.

- Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x44 Strengths: Parallax adjustment. Compromises: Slightly outside preferred zoom range on low end, 20 oz., getting close to $2K

- Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 Strengths: zoom range, 16 oz. Compromises: $$$, no parallax adjustment.

- Leica Magnus i 1.8-12x50 Strengths: perfect zoom range, parallax adjustment. Compromises: 25 oz., $3K

- Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50 i Strengths: parallax adjustment. Compromises: 25 oz., slightly outside preferred zoom range on low end

- Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 Strengths: price, parallax adjustment. Compromises: 19 oz., outside preferred zoom range on low end.

Last edited:
Vortex Razor LHT HD 3-15 mil
Spend the savings on something else.
Glass is amazing
Tracks dead on
Locking elevation turret
Usable reticle
Illumination where it counts
Lightweight
Checks a lot of boxes for the perfect hunting scope.

I’m running two and haven’t found a flaw yet.

TL: DR version of this thread - Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Leupold or Vortex, make me a 2-12x42 rifle scope with parallax adjustment from 50 yds to infinity that weighs 17 oz. and take my friggin’ money. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: macmo and DJL2
I have the next size up on my savage B22 Precision, the 4-20x50, and I love it. It replaced a 3-15x44 Vortex PST Gen 2 and I don't feel like I went down in glass quality in any way. The locking turrets are a huge plus in my book as well, but at 25oz, not the lightest option.

Reactions: Mk23Bill
S&b 3-12x42 klassic 20oz
S&b 2.5x10x40 summit 17oz
Zeiss victory ht 2.5-10x50 18oz
Meopta optical 5 pa 2-10x42 21oz
Scorpion rhv 4x16x42 18oz
Sig sauer whiskey5 2-10x42 21oz
Swarovski z5 3.5-18x44 16oz

Little list some exp some not. Around that weight with parallax adjustment

I’m putting together a lightweight, mulie/elk bolt action hunting rifle and would like to begin considering optics. FWIW, the rifle will be chambered in .308, for distances out to 400 yards and with pic rail installed will come in at under 6lbs.

My current primary hunting optic is a Swarovski 1.5-6x42 that’s given me 30 years of outstanding service. But it’s steel tube comes with a weight penalty and I wouldn’t mind having a little more magnification on the upper end.

I’m on the wrong side of 50 now, so a large objective lens isn’t of much use. Figure 42mm as a max here. Likewise, illuminated reticles aren’t a priority. I’ve often appreciated having the ability to dial down the power in close cover, so something in the 2 to 12 zoom range would be ideal. I could live with 10x on the top end, but wouldn’t like to go any lower than that.

As for weight, if something robust, weatherproof and with excellent glass were available at around 16 oz., that would be fantastic. Most hunting is done in the upper elevations of Utah where sun, rain and snow are all possible in the same afternoon. I’ve seen a 2-12x42 Leupold VX6 that comes pretty close. The illuminated reticle is unnecessary, it weighs 20 oz. and has no parallax adjustment, so not perfect, but not unreasonable either. Anything better come to mind?
with all there are trad-offs.

Since you mention the things that cause lens flair and obviously will be zoomed out to deal with some of this if not for FOV, have you ever thought about the benefits of FFP? Yes, it will crank your weight up 7-10oz; but like many things, it's might be one of the best places to put that weight. You can probably lose 3x that weight with a pack change or whatever. A March 3-24FFP is around 23oz or an MK5 @ 26oz.

PS see your looking at an FFP too, after I typed this -

Reactions: DJL2 and Mk23Bill
What’s the general reputation here of Athlon’s glass quality? I have zero experience with them.

I haven't been behind the Helos G2, but I've got an ETR which I love.

I have a vx5hd and love it for a lightweight hunting setup. Htmr reticle. Illumination wasn’t a huge priority either. Supposedly glass is same in vx5hd/vx6hd/mk5

Reactions: HogsLife
I have a Tikka with a carbon fiber stock and barrel and I think it’s to light. At the moment i am running a Viper PSTll 3-15 on it. I am actually thinking about looking for a heavier scope. I do not remember what the Rifle with scopes weight. But if I remember correctly it’s around 8 1/2 pounds.

It is almost to light and likes to slide off my shoulder when slung.

light is a great place but I think mine is possibly to light.

Last edited:
SWFA 3-9, NXS 2-10, or Zeiss V4 would be my picks. Might have to try the Vortex LHT on my next build though, just wary of issues.

Can anyone comment as to whether or not the internals on the S&B Klassik, Summit, Zenith, or Stratos lines are as reliable/repeatable as the PMII line?

Most folk agree that you don't really need parallax on a 2-10/12 scope, especially not for hunting.

I think the VX6 is an excellent scope, or the VX5 if you want to save some money.
The Zero lock turret is rather excellent and the Vx5 and 6 i had both tracked well.
If the illumination is the FireDot then you'll likely find you use it a lot. In a 2x optic the firedot is fantastic for close quick shooting.

If Leupold did a Firedot TMR reticle in the 2-10/12 I'd buy one in a hear beat.

Vortex Razor LHT HD 3-15 mil
Spend the savings on something else.
Glass is amazing
Tracks dead on
Locking elevation turret
Usable reticle
Illumination where it counts
Lightweight
Checks a lot of boxes for the perfect hunting scope.

I’m running two and haven’t found a flaw yet.

This is the scope I went with... haven't hunted with it yet, but did get a chance to mount and zero... so far it is exceeding expectations.

Reactions: Bravo6 and Vicko
Can anyone comment as to whether or not the internals on the S&B Klassik, Summit, Zenith, or Stratos lines are as reliable/repeatable as the PMII line?
I have the summit. And I can confirm that it feels like a pmii but light weight for hunting. I don't think I'd ever buy a different scope for hunting. Fit and finish and glass on Schmidts are second to none. And for my eyes I find nothing beats em.

Reactions: WB300
TL: DR version of this thread - Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Leupold or Vortex, make me a 2-12x42 rifle scope with parallax adjustment from 50 yds to infinity that weighs 17 oz. and take my friggin’ money. :D
March has the March 1.5-15X42 at 21oz. And it focuses down to 10yards. I think that exceeds many of your specs, so that could be an issue.

Another vote for the Razor HD LHT 3-15. Love mine.
And if you don’t want/need illumination.. remove the battery ;)

Hard to beat a Meopta scope for quality over price. The MeoStar R2 2-12x50 RD would serve your needs very well and the 50mm obj. gives you the field of view and light transmission that Meopta optics are known for. Yes, it has an illuminated reticle but At 21 oz it is still right in the ballpark weight-wise, and you just never know when a dark background and low light would make you thankful you have that RD. I have an Optika5 4-20 and a friend has the 3-15x44 on her custom .270 WbyMag and couldn't be happier, especially because of the price! The Optika5 2-10x42 PA is on my shortlist for a .243 that I have but I have yet to see any available.

Reactions: Scrumbag
I want something like the NF 2.5-10x24 with adjustable parallax. Maybe it is an optical nightmare to create, but the fixed parallax is my only ding on that dinosaur.

9.9" long, 17oz even with illumination... Eye box is finicky at 10x, but I am only using it at 10x from a stable position which negates the finicky issue for me.

When I finally start my lightweight build, I will be going either NF 2.5-10x42, Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15, or maybe something new will drop... Its hard finding simple milling reticles anymore, let alone with the other specs I want.

I’ve been leaving to the MK5 3.6-18 until I got my eyes on the NX8 2.5-20x50.

1. ideal mag range imo, larger objective lens so better light gathering and I’ve always leaned towards NF over Leupold

^^^ Ideal mag range comes at a cost, compromises are made when making a high erector (8x for NX8) in a short body scope. More finicky Eyebox, DOF and parallax are some. Also, while the NX8 has the larger objective you might be surprised at how well the Leupold does in low light. I am not a particular fan of either manufacturer and both scopes have their drawbacks but also have their strengths

Reactions: HogsLife
I want something like the NF 2.5-10x24 with adjustable parallax. Maybe it is an optical nightmare to create, but the fixed parallax is my only ding on that dinosaur.

9.9" long, 17oz even with illumination... Eye box is finicky at 10x, but I am only using it at 10x from a stable position which negates the finicky issue for me.

When I finally start my lightweight build, I will be going either NF 2.5-10x42, Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15, or maybe something new will drop... Its hard finding simple milling reticles anymore, let alone with the other specs I want.
All good points. While LPVO’s and long range scopes have received all the attention, it seems the MPVO will hopefully be next. An ATACR 2-10, a Mark 5 2-10, a Vortex Gen III 2-12 and an alpha class 2-12ish (ZCO, Schmidt, et al) would be nice. I have the March 1-10 and 1.5-15 I’m checking out right now and would love to see a FFP March 1.5-12x42 or 2-16x42 with adjustable parallax and well thought out reticle would be really nice.

Ran a vx3i 4.5-14x40 30mm, side parallax windplex last year. Grand for what I wanted on a hunting scope. Decent weight, tracked fine, got the job done, 440 was longest shot. Hunting overseas later in the year and will upgrade to a vx5hd 4-15 htmr, 4oz heavier but glass seems good. I have both mk5's and the 3-18 is on the scope right now. Used a nxs 2.5-10x24 many years ago and it got the job done as well, actually used the illumination in a snow storm for a shot, great little scope. Personal preference for a lot of it, use what works for you.

My vote goes to VF SHV 3-10x42 or NXS 2.5-10x42.

A few hunting buddies run the LHT and are happy with them.

I have the March 1-10 and 1.5-15 I’m checking out right now and would love to see a FFP March 1.5-12x42 or 2-16x42 with adjustable parallax and well thought out reticle would be really nice.
The March 1-10 is almost perfect to me, except simply price. The size is hilarious, the weight is good, and the reticle is simple. Like you said to another commenter, everything has a trade off and price is the trade off for the March tech. I prefer the idea of the $800 Vortex over the $1500 NF, but I like the Mil-R reticle for a hunting/target reticle especially when it's in another scope I own already.

My issue with the FFP reticles in LPVO and MPVO is they have to be made awkward so they are useable at 2x-ish, and then give up precision at the high end. Look at the Athlon 2-12x reticle offering here. I don't want a center dot that covers 1" at 100 yards when the rifle is capable of half of that! lol I get it, they are meant for hunters and DMR roles where 1" is more than sufficient. Then everyone wants the daylight bright red dot for some reason, but that requires compromises in reticle design, unless you go dual focal plane like March. I want a reliable and proven sub-20oz optic with a mil based reticle that has a fine aiming point at 10x+ and turn the reticle into a German #4 style at low power where you simply bracket the game and let your eye naturally grab the center point or a center box of sorts. In the mean time, I am forced to do what I swore I would never do again and that is strongly consider purchasing another SFP optic or go heavier.

Last edited:
I'll gladly carry a scope that's heavy enough to sustain substantial impacts, retain zero, and track perfectly.

Most "hunting" optics don't do that well IME.

The 19 oz swfa 3-9 is about as light as I want to go. Or an NXS 2.5-10.

I am rather fond of my little swfa ultralight on my knockabout 16" 223, but not on a 6lb 308.

I'd love to be wrong if somebody has a new one that works well.

The Razor LHT 3-15 was fantastic. I used it in a couple matches and tracked dead on and the glass was fantastic. I sold it to get more features with a M5 3.6-18 for matches.

Reactions: Bravo6
The Razor LHT 3-15 was fantastic. I used it in a couple matches and tracked dead on and the glass was fantastic. I sold it to get more features with a M5 3.6-18 for matches.
What sort of matches did you shoot with the LHT?

They were 22lr matches out to 250 yards, so with a 25/50 yard zero, I had to dial between 9.5 and 10 mils and back. It went back and forth without issue, and even while practicing. Zero stop was nice too since it would go .5 below "0" when I used a couple different types of ammo. Really can't say enough good things about the scope. Even watching that little 22 bullet arc to hit that 250 yard target was cool to see through the glass. I see why the Razor line is so popular. That Japanese glass is great.

Reactions: Vicko and HogsLife
The March 1-10 is almost perfect to me, except simply price. The size is hilarious, the weight is good, and the reticle is simple. Like you said to another commenter, everything has a trade off and price is the trade off for the March tech. I prefer the idea of the $800 Vortex over the $1500 NF, but I like the Mil-R reticle for a hunting/target reticle especially when it's in another scope I own already.

My issue with the FFP reticles in LPVO and MPVO is they have to be made awkward so they are useable at 2x-ish, and then give up precision at the high end. Look at the Athlon 2-12x reticle offering here. I don't want a center dot that covers 1" at 100 yards when the rifle is capable of half of that! lol I get it, they are meant for hunters and DMR roles where 1" is more than sufficient. Then everyone wants the daylight bright red dot for some reason, but that requires compromises in reticle design, unless you go dual focal plane like March. I want a reliable and proven sub-20oz optic with a mil based reticle that has a fine aiming point at 10x+ and turn the reticle into a German #4 style at low power where you simply bracket the game and let your eye naturally grab the center point or a center box of sorts. In the mean time, I am forced to do what I swore I would never do again and that is strongly consider purchasing another SFP optic or go heavier.
You may not have used the correct type of reticles or using them not as intended in your FFP MPVOs if you're finding them useless at either end. We hear this argument all the time to justify less expensive SFP offerings. For clarity on my end, I consider 1-10s today LPVO; 3-18 MPVOs, so please excuse me if our brackets are off.

But people who love SFP in an MPVO often have not really experienced using an FFP with an illuminated reticle correctly under both short and long-range hunting conditions. For instance, often, they'll say they need SFP is needed for fast target acquisition at min power, or a duplex reticle is needed for fast target acquisition. While both are true, there is another part of their argument that makes no sense at all. They'll go on to say that the FFP at min magnification is not easily seen, or you can't see the windholds easily. Again while true, it's usually completely out of context. We need to admit that neither the SPF nor duplex has the accurate wind holds at min power. The second is that at min power, our scope should only be serving one of 2 needs, general glassing or short-range shots; neither needs wind holds. If we can accept that, then we'll realize that with the correct reticle type paired with daylight illumination with FFP, it will appear like a Red dot, and Duplex hybrid, when zoomed, will also have a fine POA. Now, as we zoom in for longer range shots and zoom out as needed to deal with FOV or lens flare, the windhold is accurate, as are the drops. Simply put, the FFP is far more versatile than many fans of SPF understand for hunting, especially out here in the West.

If someone is looking for a scope for longer range hunting, for me 400 with a 308 is a poke; I'd make a priority list first. Here is one I posted in another thread.

Previously posted:: Not exactly relevant to the OPs post, the idea of the priority list should be.

As a hunter, who shoots long-range in our hunt unit because of the way the topography often forces us; as well as a competitor who has owned much of the top tear glass including a ZCO. The ZCO and some of the other top their glass; are not on either my long-range hunting magnums or other hunting guns.
I see a lot of votes for the ZCO and I love mine, but the feature set comes as an overall weight package that defeats what I am trying to accomplish on a hunting rifle that I will not only need to carry but need to add a tripod, glass and still pack out the animal. I am not hunting varmints, other mammals that one might leave where they lay or steel. I can't count how many times I seriously thought about leaving thousands of $$ of gear on the pack out as the meat can't be left; ounces matter to me. Counting ounces, I still end up with a full features system; my magnum is 9lbs with, mag in, full arca rail, a huge Ti brake, exposed turrets, and a usable FFP scope with illumination (MK5 3-18).
51047179493_5d4f356e32_o (1).jpg
I ran 5-25s but came back to 3-15x/3-18x. A 3-18 and your hunting rifle is wicked well past 1,000 yards on a mammal and usually will have the field-of-view on the low end to work when you're surprised by something a hair closer.
Make a priority list unique to you; mine was something like this:
Quality
FFP
Illumination daylight visible (you need this not only for low light but to quickly see and acquire targets an min power- it helps the scope work like a duplex as you just don't need wind holds on min power close range targets)
Reticle
FOV
Locking elevation
Capped or locking windage
Low weight <= 26oz
Good Glass
forgiving eye box
cost
Top of the list for me was
TT 315M
MK5 3-18
March 3-24
The only one that you'd get a Mil discount on would be the MK5. The march I didn't like the reticle or eye-box, but it was the lightest by 2oz. When I worked through my list, the MK5 being 1/2 the cost of the TT allowed me to buy several, so that's the way I went.
The entire point is to really take the time to think about our entire system and how it fits with your personal picture. Hope this helps provide food for thought.
PS - I've seen (or heard) more fucked up long-range shots in the last three Elk seasons, with guys using SFP scopes on partial zoom, than I can count. It's sad and inexcusable to cheap out, not practice, not know your gear, then start firing away from long range like the current trend. Remember a lot of the hunting is done at first or last light and the sun angles often require that we're off max power to reduce the lens flare effects. This flat-out fucks up SPF holds.
I am NOT against people who only want to stalk (heck I have a bow) or those like me who do make long-range kills, but if your taking long-range shots under adrenaline inspired, often tired from a hike, where sun angles can create lens flare, and or accurate wind and elevation holds are required, use an FFP.

Last edited:
You kinda need to figure out your budget and work from there.

The way my recommendatoins for hunting scopes have been going lately, your best bang for the buck is Vortex Razor HD-LHT 3-15x42. It does a lot of thing really well. For something very specific for low light, Meopta Meostar R1 3-12x56 is excellent.

If you are looking to do better than one of these, you pretty much have to double or triple the price to something like March 1.5-15x42 or Leica Magnus 1.8-12x50.

ILya

You may not have used the correct type of reticles or using them not as intended in your FFP MPVOs if you're finding them useless at either end. We hear this argument all the time to justify less expensive SFP offerings. For clarity on my end, I consider 1-10s today LPVO; 3-18 MPVOs, so please excuse me if our brackets are off.

I feel like you missed the point of my post... at least I don't know what the point of yours is. lol Sorry, hopefully we can get on the same page because I don't disagree with anything you said. Before you read the rest, just know I do the same checklist thing as you for every purchase, and my list is always changing with experience. If you read my very last sentence of the post you quoted, I had told myself I would never buy SFP again. I don't want to justify less expensive SFP offerings and I would prefer FFP at all times.

I am discussing my personal desire for a sub-20oz optics in the 2-10x or 2-12x-ish range, very similar to the OP's stated desire in post #9. Sure we could go grab a Leupy 3-18, 2.5-20 NX8, or any other 3-15ish option that weighs 24-26oz, but I have been spoiled by my NF 2.5-10x24 in the light and compact side of things. Rifles with it mounted handle noticeable better than the 4-16 ATACR I use on my main rifle, and it is a full half pound less than your Mk5. I would rather not buy a discontinued Gen 1 PST 2.5-10x32 considering the progress made since it was released.

I am not saying the reticles currently in FFP LPVO and the 2-12x-ish range are completely useless. I stated they have to make compromises to make them practical on both ends and they have situations they excel in. Those compromises do not work great for MY situations, so no shit I am not using them as intended. lol When I am shooting at a flicker tail, a 1.1" center dot in that Athlon can obscure the target at 100 yards even though it should be a chip shot. Great for coyotes and fox, not so much for other small pest. The 1-8 ATACR and the Vortex 1-10 are better with their 0.72" center dot. The 4-16 ATACR on the other hand was great at 4x with both the Mil-R and Mil-C at roughly 0.2" centers, so I would like something similar but 10oz lighter. Yes I know 0.05 mils gets stupid thin at 2x, which is why I would want a reticle that acts as a German #4 to help you bracket when hunting larger game, or even bump up line thickness. Very similar to how the March DR-1 reticle works actually with its thicker brackets and 0.07mil line thickness at 10x. The other reticle types currently in that mag range are simple duplex, some with red dots, or BDCs. Useless in the majority of my shooting. That basically leaves SFP if you want a simple milling reticle without dropping $2500.

Realistically to get everything I want out of current offerings, I have to compromise just like all of the options have compromises. That likely means settle with SFP, suck it up and go heavier, or drop way more money than I want right now. I am valuing weight more this time, and I know SFP works fine for what I need due to years with the x24 NF, so that is where I am leaning right now...even if we both hate it.

Last edited:
I feel like you missed the point of my post... at least I don't know what the point of yours is. lol Sorry, hopefully we can get on the same page. Before you read the rest, just know I do the same checklist thing as you for every purchase, and my list is always changing with experience. If you read my very last sentence of the post you quoted, I had told myself I would never buy SFP again. I don't want to justify less expensive SFP offerings and I would prefer FFP at all times.

I am discussing my personal desire for a sub-20oz optics in the 2-10x or 2-12x-ish range, very similar to the OP's stated desire in post #9. Sure we could go grab a Leupy 3-18, 2.5-20 NX8, or any other 3-15ish option that weighs 24-26oz, but I have been spoiled by my NF 2.5-10x24 in the light and compact side of things. Rifles with it mounted handle noticeable better than the 4-16 ATACR I use on my main rifle, and it is a full half pound less than your Mk5. I would rather not buy a discontinued Gen 1 PST 2.5-10x32 considering the progress made since it was released.

I am not saying the reticles currently in FFP LPVO and the 2-12x-ish range are completely useless. I stated they have to make compromises to make them practical on both ends and they have situations they excel in. Those compromises do not work great for MY situations, so no shit I am not using them as intended. lol When I am shooting at a flicker tail, a 1.1" center dot in that Athlon can obscure the target at 100 yards even though it should be a chip shot. Great for coyotes and fox, not so much for other small pest. The 1-8 ATACR and the Vortex 1-10 are better with their 0.72" center dot. The 4-16 ATACR on the other hand was great at 4x with both the Mil-R and Mil-C at roughly 0.2" centers, so I would like something similar but 10oz lighter. Yes I know 0.05 mils gets stupid thin at 2x, which is why I would want a reticle that acts as a German #4 to help you bracket when hunting larger game, or even bump up line thickness. Very similar to how the March DR-1 reticle works actually with its thicker brackets and 0.07mil line thickness at 10x. The other reticle types currently in that mag range are simple duplex, some with red dots, or BDCs. Useless in the majority of my shooting. That basically leaves SFP if you want a simple milling reticle without dropping $2500.

Realistically to get everything I want out of current offerings, I have to compromise just like all of the options have compromises. That likely means settle with SFP, suck it up and wait for a cheap Mk5, or drop way more money than I want right now. I am valuing weight more this time, and I know SFP works fine for what I need due to years with the x24 NF, so that is where I am leaning right now...even if we both hate it.
All makes sense. Just a question, you’re talking LPVO primarily correct? Is your idea of These types of scopes primary of CQB, and near range hunting - with the exception of huge 2 legged mammals? I would agree there is value in LPVO being SFP or hybrid for those uses.

The OP discussed his use of a 308 @ 400 years needs to hit a harder target with a much smaller vital zone, almost 4x smaller vertically than a E Silhouette. In my opinion, this kinda tilts the scales to MPVO.

I copied my other post in blue for context of the priority list. It was almost the same discussion, but for a long range hunting scope.

All makes sense. Just a question, you’re talking LPVO primarily correct? Is your idea of These types of scopes primary of CQB, and near range hunting - with the exception of huge 2 legged mammals? I would agree there is value in LPVO being SFP or hybrid for those uses.
Not really...I would read post #31 as we are kind of discussing a middle ground between the two categories you have set.

I shoot flickertail ground squirrel from 20-200 yards, coyote and fox out to 400 (so basically OP's requirement), and ring steel to....well....only went to 700 with the x24 so far, but can go to 1200 with 10x no problem. It is more about the overall package than the mag range itself. I like turning the mag down for FOV, but then magnifying for precision. Of course I would LOVE if my holds were the same regardless of magnification. The market shifted so hard the past couple years that it kind of skipped people like me that want a lot more than a Leupold FireDot, but does not want something meant for CQB or rapid engagement gas gunning.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. Just purchased the springfield waypoint and looking for a lightweight scope.
I'm torn between the huskemaw 4-16x42
Swarovski z5 3.5-18x44
Zeiss v4 4-16x44
and the Leupold vx5hd 3-15x44

I looked through the Swarovski zeiss and leupold and really liked the zeiss. Hopefully checking out the huskemaw on Monday. Heard really great things about them.
Swarovski was super clear too but been reading bad things about their tracking. It's super lightweight though.
I have a few that you mentioned and then some. I purchased a husky blue diamond out of curiosity last fall for my spare 338. At best in my opinion it’s average. Nothing compared to the z6 or the Mk 4. Love the Z6 sharp on the outer edges. I never worried about weight/just bulk. Over 65 my sheep day’s are done so an extra 4ozs is not a factor. I just skip the muffin in the morning. Doing a 7/08 for a gift for my son and it will have another Swarovski. Just an awesome product above the conquest.

I don't know why everyone is spec'ing big expensive optics, if it's a hunting rifle and the max range you are intending to reach is 400 yards, why invest is a target grade anything? For lightweight rig then an std Leupold, Bushnell, or Vortex 3x9-40/44 is more than enough at 400, especially in the hill of UTAH. An Average size Elk at 400 broadside has a zone of 16" that should be no problem even using iron sights 400, my 63-year-old eyes can still get that with irons. IMHO 308 Win is not the best choice for Elk, yeah it will kill it with good shot placement, but you don't get a good shot and that boy is gone, gone and wounded., this is where ethics comes in play. It's just me and my opinion is worth about cup of 7/11 coffee, but I would not go less than 30-06, I prefer the 300 Win Mag or 7MM Rem Mag. (I'm waiting for a barrel in .300 H&H to come in from McGowen Precision Barrels which is in between 30-06 and 300 Win, nice a smooth, My next Elk rifle)

Lightweight to me is a Bergara B14 with a Leupold 3x9 40mm with a 1" tube and a sling. This will do any big game in N. America and you won't feel like you carrying a log or get your scope hung up on the brush.
IMG_8445.JPG

Last edited:
Sincere thanks to all who have contributed thus far.

Do you guys think I’m making too much of the parallax adjustment requirement? With some of these magnifications getting up into the 12 to 15 power range, the difference in fine focus between 200 and 500 yards would seem important to me. But maybe I’m overstating this.

Anyway, here’s a quick rundown of some currently in the consideration set:

- Leupold VX6 2-12x42 Strengths: right in the zoom range sweet spot, only 17 oz. Compromises: No parallax adjustment

- Meopta 1.7-10x42 Strengths: zoom range sweet spot, great reticle selection. Compromises: No parallax adjustment, over 20 oz.

- Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50 Strengths: 16 oz., reasonable price for Swarovski glass Compromises: No parallax adjustment, slightly outside preferred zoom range on low end.

- Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40 Strengths: Zoom range sweet spot, 15 oz. Compromises: No parallax adjustment.

- Swarovski Z6 2-12x50 Strengths: zoom range, 18 oz. Compromises: No parallax adjustment.

- Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x44 Strengths: Parallax adjustment. Compromises: Slightly outside preferred zoom range on low end, 20 oz., getting close to $2K

- Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 Strengths: zoom range, 16 oz. Compromises: $$$, no parallax adjustment.

- Leica Magnus i 1.8-12x50 Strengths: perfect zoom range, parallax adjustment. Compromises: 25 oz., $3K

- Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50 i Strengths: parallax adjustment. Compromises: 25 oz., slightly outside preferred zoom range on low end

- Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 Strengths: price, parallax adjustment. Compromises: 19 oz., outside preferred zoom range on low end.
For what you’re wanting to do, you can’t go wrong with the Swarovski Z5 or Z5i. All the glass you’ve listed is quality glass but I’ve never had better light transmission or clarity with any of my scopes as I get with my Swarovski’s (it’s significantly better than my Vortex Razor HD). It’s nice to be able to pick up a critter 10-15 minutes earlier/later in your scope at the beginning or end of the day. just my two bits. Good luck and happy hunting!

Back in the day a 4x would take deer, elk, antelope, even coyote out to 400+ yards. Today I guess everyone’s eyesight is bad because everyone wants a high magnification scope. At 74, my old eyes can relate to that. I have used a Leupold VX-6 in both 1-6 and 2-12 in QR mounts on my 375 H&H in Africa. A 90 yard shot on croc and an over 350 yard shot on blesbok the higher powers helped.
Living in Colorado I have hunted the mountains a lot for 45 years. As I recall I never took a deer nor elk at over 200 maybe 250 yards. Antelope a different story and terrain.
JMO, but if I were to have another light weight deer/elk mountain rifle set-up in 308, I would start with a Kimber Montana and try to find a Leupold VX-II 2-7 or 2.5-8. The Montana is a better weight, more steady, than their Ascent IME. The 2-7 or 2.5-8 have enough top power for a 400 yard shot.
Illuminated, well I personally love the fire dot! My eye is instantly drawn to the dot. It shows up well on dark or shaded animals such as dark timber elk, black bear, cape buffalo, etc.

Best of luck in your project! It sounds like fun.

I don't know why everyone is spec'ing big expensive optics, if it's a hunting rifle and the max range you are intending to reach is 400 yards, why invest is a target grade anything? For lightweight rig then an std Leupold, Bushnell, or Vortex 3x9-40/44 is more than enough at 400, especially in the hill of UTAH. An Average size Elk at 400 broadside has a zone of 16" that should be no problem even using iron sights 400, my 63-year-old eyes can still get that with irons. IMHO 308 Win is not the best choice for Elk, yeah it will kill it with good shot placement, but you don't get a good shot and that boy is gone, gone and wounded., this is where ethics comes in play. It's just me and my opinion is worth about cup of 7/11 coffee, but I would not go less than 30-06, I prefer the 300 Win Mag or 7MM Rem Mag. (I'm waiting for a barrel in .300 H&H to come in from McGowen Precision Barrels which is in between 30-06 and 300 Win, nice a smooth, My next Elk rifle)

Lightweight to me is a Bergara B14 with a Leupold 3x9 40mm with a 1" tube and a sling. This will do any big game in N. America and you won't feel like you carrying a log or get your scope hung up on the brush.
Just my 711 coffees worth (I like that btw, the phrase, not the coffee.. bleh)
Razor HD LHT isn't big, heavy or expensive. Is just good quality HD glass. And in lower light scenarios, its a shit tin better than a cheap glass option. I have cheap glass sitting on my HMR. And its fine out to 200m in most conditions. But beyond that, no. I wouldn't want to miss out on an elk of a lifetime because I cheaped out on glass.