• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Updated -RRS Tripod Barricade practice device?

Diver160651

Who cares
Minuteman
  • Feb 7, 2013
    La Honda
    3/20 Edited to ADD Video and at the bottom: Cattle Gate, Latter and Rolling Bar Simulator - videos added

I have built barricades before and they always end up too big and I get to lazy to move them around.

This time, I wanted something super small and light that I could dry fire with or take with me out to the range.

My RRS-TVC legs and TA-3 are so solid, that it has taken some of the skill out of the shooting; but figured using it for an adjustable height barricade, might be cool.

I been using a simple 2x4 on edge and it works fine, but wanted a bit more.

I did not want to over complicate it because the tripod can spin giving multiple options and provide adjustable height from near prone, to taller than I can shoot.

It approximately resembles the more rickety wood barricades. Of course, it does not let you work on rapid elevation changes like the classic steps, but does give near unlimited elevation choices.

Anyway, here is what I started playing with. It is not perfect, but works well enough with a repurposed 2x4.

ba22a0e19a2b637454fe0e3d8b5e60d7.jpg

8003121d417a974156e29db82e3adc5d.jpg

387f8e471185b9a3e1bd16a46e08d359.jpg

a3388a3dbfd3e3b34d44ad6ad4d0efdb.jpg

051c3e042876ee24e92ceec8af54183f.jpg

b1eca1892d29dbe8f35938d3bb4a6d92.jpg

a32dd0c5c83f7d88d9c121b2bbb13231.jpg

The one (below) I have been using before the triangle option. It is a simple 2x4 with a dovetail plate in the 2 inch side and still my go to ....vvv
    98a2b19cb0c6ef5f724b0182994fafad.jpg

Per request: Add the the dims - Notice I cut off one redundant leg. Spinning on the tripod 180 allows for off-hand or strong side already.
    71b06b0eb3b8afb9b090f1358b69637a.jpg

Using the plate nearest the vertical allows for less leverage on the TA-3 when using it as a fence post.

Edited to add inspiration- actually I flat out copied, Natestreo. His post is near end of thread.

Chain/Swinger- below: Uses a metal AI latch with long SS wood screws semi-tight, to allow swiveling out of position.
    eb08fe194b6e18564741861ec5c1ce6a.jpg

Removable
    ae771dee9f76fd342afcbd296382d994.jpg

I thought the easiest way to show the stability was with a quick cell phone video. The videos are meant to show how much the RRS tripod legs, head and barricade, move or don’t. That’s the point of the focus, not my ugly butt..

I used a height in the first two examples, that didn’t let me brace elbow to knee, or kneel. The iPhone is at a weird angle so that you can see the device..It makes the other stuff look a bit off-axis.

Videos in action below:

Fence post simulator below:

Swing rope or chain.. you can remove and shoot off the much more stable 2x4

Using the cattle gate below

BTW USING @JC Steel, Jake's TacTable in the rear on swing chains and ropes is wickedly effective (not shown in the video)..https://jcsteeltargets.configio.com...e?cid=435&returncom=productlist&source=search

I took 4 phone videos and will post the other positions. But many more creative positions are available, I just didn't have the patience in the cold to fuss around more with the iPhone. Besides, you guys get the idea.. It is just posted to help see the movement of the system, it is not as much as some wonky barricades, but more than the really nice ones.

As a side note, running the right-hand action, left-handed, where reaching over a large scope isn't really an option:
    You can see just how convoluted this left on right action is on a barricade for fast follow ups. The moment my trigger finger releases, so does the support hand (see the hand under the scope on the barrel shroud), and the hands switch roles.

BTW Follow-thru: The trigger is a Huber 2 stage, the second has an exceptionally crisp, immediate zero take-up brake, followed by an empty take-up stroke to a hard stop. I'm releasing after the trigger has broken, the round has touched off and after the Huber continues past the brake, thru the take up to the hard stop, but not sitting there, to shorten the process.. I am not suggesting anyone do the same as I am making a compromise for speed because of the much slower reversed position.

The only good thing about shooting so damn convoluted, is you can see a round chambering when shooting lefty on a right-handed action. Hope that makes sense.

ADDED: Cattle Gate, Latter and Rolling Bar Simulator -
    Made to simulate stages like the one below. (18yr old son)

View attachment 6884932
    Notice you can slide in mount to best center were needed

PVC Rollers bellow, make it hard to "lock in" like the above image.. Image above is using 2 XLR barricade stops. As displayed, they can help lock into round tubes like cattle gates or barricades.

Position 3 is just like the top of a fence etc..

Using position 3 with a single barricade stop and the Bipod to help with recoil.

I’d need a flatbed to haul the 10 barricade positions with all the height options this little pile can reproduce. That said I still find every reason to do something other than practice..

All not much bigger than a few cans of “Spin Drift”

BTW:
    I have been using full length ARCA Rails cobbled onto the forearms sense RRS came out with the conversions for Atlas and Harris bipods.

Not only does a device like this allow you to quickly slide the bipod to shoot off a barrel or other small foot print, it can work like an MPA front barricade stop. Maybe more on this later. But these are a game changer :)

Anyway, HRD-Gear is making a few very cool offerings. Here is one (top in the image) for a SA AX.. keymod at Mile High.
    https://www.milehighshooting.com/hrd-gear-afax-09-full-length-arca-rail-for-ax-sa-forend/

The gun at the bottom shows a 6” standard ARCA rail (not RRS dovetail) on the AT chasis. It extends to the same distance the spigot mount would.This was done BEFORE a full length HRD-Gear AT option was available. If I was going to do it today, I would forgo the RRS handgaurd /dove tail and go the 11" HRD-Gear.. You will need the SLOTTED version for the AT to clear the spigot release on the bottom of the chasis.https://www.milehighshooting.com/hrd-gear-uaf-11-full-length-arca-rail-for-la-forend-11/

More information on the XLR barricaded stops can be found here:
    https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...rca-swiss-compatible-barricade-stops.6877052/

Truth be told, I do not use the barricade blocks and stops. I a bag works faster and better for me.

Last edited:
    Those tripods are THAT solid? I clearly need to upgrade

Thanks for sharing the dimensions! I threw a “chain” simulator in there for some extra practice. Just need some arca mounts now!

Attachments

• 0A0B15E9-70BE-49C9-8520-DF834F27582A.jpeg
      0A0B15E9-70BE-49C9-8520-DF834F27582A.jpeg
      146.4 KB · Views: 170
    Took your idea (credited you above the images) and used some extra webbing I had.. thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is indeed a rubber bungie! I'm glad that helped you. I was also concerned with scratching my rifle on a chain unnecessarily.

I haven't purchased dovetail mounts yet, but I was planning on getting something 100mm or so so that there was a longer surface area to balance and mount the barricade on. Good tip!

No, I used RRS dovetail “compatible plates 13 bucks for a set of 2 on Amazon

Just for the record Arca is not the same as the RRS dovetail. Seems the RRS dovetail standard works in most all Arca QRs, but not the always the other way.

You only need 2 to get full functionality- but I used 3 just for ease

Any chance you can please post a link to the plates you purchased.

Nice, can you post the dimensions

Sorry for the late response. I will post a link shortly and update the post. The issue is they are only 60mm so you need 2 or 3. But they are so Fng cheap not a big deal. I tried linger cheap plates but they seem to be on the Arca Swiss standard and to loose in the RRS. However, just a bit of thought tape (duck tape) and it is a none issue.

Nice, can you post the dimensions

Sorry for the late response. I will post a link shortly and update the post.

The issue is they are only 60mm so you need 2 or 3. But they are so Fng cheap not a big deal. I tried longer cheap plates but they seem to be on the Arca Swiss standard and too loose in the RRS.

However, just a bit of thought tape (duck tape) and it is a none issue.

All that said, the right stuff is available, at a higher price.. time cost balance is your choice

Last edited:
    Wow that's a good idea.

I'm sure you could make a few bucks making some for those who aren't comfortable with power tools or don't have any. You could ship them unassembled with holes drilled so they could be assembled with a screwdriver. USPS has a large flat rate priority mail box called the "large game box" that has inside dimensions of 23.75"x11.5"x3". You can definitely get 3 widths of 2x4 in there and it ships for around $17 flat rate. Just a thought.

Got bored and used your idea to make this. Thanks for posting. It’s solid as hell.

Attachments

• E330FDC0-FEF1-4DB2-B58D-3B8DAA846A78.jpeg
      E330FDC0-FEF1-4DB2-B58D-3B8DAA846A78.jpeg
      947.7 KB · Views: 252
    • 66632943-83EF-4AE1-8475-5DE62F15BA11.jpeg
      66632943-83EF-4AE1-8475-5DE62F15BA11.jpeg
      1,017.4 KB · Views: 247
    • C363DAE5-FA40-4B9B-A2BC-92AD78235D41.jpeg
      C363DAE5-FA40-4B9B-A2BC-92AD78235D41.jpeg
      589.3 KB · Views: 266
    • 60ACEF7E-12A3-40F0-A08D-444849E1E3CE.jpeg
      60ACEF7E-12A3-40F0-A08D-444849E1E3CE.jpeg
      598.3 KB · Views: 251
    ADDED: Cattle Gate, Latter and Rolling Bar Simulator -

Made to simulate stages like the one below - my 18yr old son.
    JT-Cattle Gate Stage - Match.jpg

[
    Cattle-gate-off-over-post.jpg
    Notice you can slide in mount to best center were needed
    Cattle-gate-Possition1.jpg

PVC Rollers make it hard to "lock in" like the above image.. Image about is using 2 XLR barricade stops, as displayed they can help lock into round tubes like cattle gates or barricades.
    Cattle-gate-Possition2--roller.jpg

Position 3 is just like the top of a fence etc..
    Cattle-gate-as-fence-Possition3.jpg

Using position 3 with a single barricade stop and the Bipod to help with recoil.
    fence-baracade-stop1.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Stpilot12
    Added the Cattle Gate Simulator

Again ignor me, look at the tripod and simulator practice barricade fairly stable.. 900y.. easy to self-spot.

Again with 2 light, cheap and portable 2x4 pipe and rope.. You’ll get 7-8 simulations plus almost infinite height possibilities.

Reactions: GFRoSTY72
    This is awesome, been looking at building a practice barricade but this is a much better solution and without the bulk.

Yes, that’s the point. I’d need a flatbed to haul the 10 barricade positions with all the height options this little pile can reproduce. That said I still find every reason to do something other than practice..

49E6A79D-3709-46C1-8CBA-747F414EB791.jpeg

All not much bigger than a few cans of “Spin Drift”

This thread talked me into buying a tripod as I don't have the ability to carry around barricades regularly.

Looking to build a single side of the barricade to put on top.

This thread talked me into buying a tripod as I don't have the ability to carry around barricades regularly.

Looking to build a single side of the barricade to put on top.

I just got my TFCT-24L in a couple weeks ago. I have not made it to range with it due to had to head back out of town but i did get to mount a rifle and play with it in the yard. Very high quality piece of "hunting equipment" in my case. You wont be disappointed of you choose RRS.

To the OP, great idea. I'll have to get started on a tripod barricade myself.

I just got my TFCT-24L in a couple weeks ago. I have not made it to range with it due to had to head back out of town but i did get to mount a rifle and play with it in the yard. Very high quality piece of "hunting equipment" in my case. You wont be disappointed of you choose RRS.

To the OP, great idea. I'll have to get started on a tripod barricade myself.

I went leofoto for the tripod itself. Couldn't justify the cost of the RRS setup.

Thanks for the designs they work great! Built myself a couple of them! The pipe one sure does make you focus on getting a good stable position.

Attachments

• C356DE0B-76B4-48AD-BBA3-35028DFFB9B3.jpeg
      C356DE0B-76B4-48AD-BBA3-35028DFFB9B3.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 234
    • C2E685FD-7363-42A5-99A5-EDE10C512C5C.jpeg
      C2E685FD-7363-42A5-99A5-EDE10C512C5C.jpeg
      988.6 KB · Views: 222
    • A5C8414E-B0AF-45E8-8945-CAD756D0FDF2.jpeg
      A5C8414E-B0AF-45E8-8945-CAD756D0FDF2.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 233
    Reactions: Diver160651
    What tripod is that? How much does it weigh and did the TA-3 just drop in?

It’s a Benro A373T it weights 5 lbs can support upto 55lbs costs $180. No the TA-3 did not fit had to cut out the half bowl and make it a little larger but compared to the cost of $1200 I couldn’t afford that and didn’t need it super light.

Dude....I really hate you....this whole concept justified our discussion earlier today.

Ordered everything tonight
    Well there are probably a hundred guys ready to take your used stuff off your hand if you hate it. Probably for about the smallest rental free you could otherwise get.

Well there are probably a hundred guys ready to take your used stuff off your hand if you hate it. Probably for about the smallest rental free you could otherwise get.

Can't see that happening. The barricade idea is an amazing idea. Lets me practice a variety of situations at the local range. Opens a new dimension to weekly practice. I'll use it for that purpose more than shooting the rifle from it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Diver160651
    Building one this weekend. Great ideas! Thank you.

Resurrecting this thread because I think this is a really cool idea and am going to build one myself. I just got the PVA CF tripod and while it's not a RRS it's a beast and should do the same thing. I have yet to do any tripod shooting, but hope to begin practicing as I want to be more familiar for field use and advancing my own skills.

Diver, I also have a question on the range card and holder you are using in the video (see below screenshot), who makes that, I was thinking of getting a quarterback wrist holder but that's really cool on the rifle

1566506624910.png

Resurrecting this thread because I think this is a really cool idea and am going to build one myself. I just got the PVA CF tripod and while it's not a RRS it's a beast and should do the same thing. I have yet to do any tripod shooting, but hope to begin practicing as I want to be more familiar for field use and advancing my own skills.

Diver, I also have a question on the range card and holder you are using in the video (see below screenshot), who makes that, I was thinking of getting a quarterback wrist holder but that's really cool on the rifle

View attachment 7134789

Thats a Hawk Hill.

It is super robust and flexible. I use business card clear vinyl holders, with Velcro to the Hawk Hill and drop in stage cards. It is easier than erasing the white board that comes with them.

That said I use it mostly when I need a thick jacket and the wrist coach does not work. During the summer / better weather, I use the wrist coach as my main go to because I can also have a standard drop sheet on one of the pages.. super helpful for field style matches.

Reactions: seansmd
    Thats a Hawk Hill.

It is super robust and flexible. I use business card clear vinyl holders, with Velcro to the Hawk Hill and drop in stage cards. It is easier than erasing the white board that comes with them.

That said I use it mostly when I need a thick jacket and the wrist coach does not work. During the summer / better weather, I use the wrist coach as my main go to because I can also have a standard drop sheet on one of the pages.. super helpful for field style matches.
    Sweet thank you, also for the tip on the business card holder with velcro