• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgrade for Sako TRG - ARCA/M-Lok handguard

enichols

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2010
Southern CA
Hi Fellow TRG Shooters,
I have been looking for a way to add some ARCA compatibility to my TRG-22 for awhile. Initially, I had planned to buy a short ARCA rail and mount it with T-Nuts to the UIT/Anschutz rail on the bottom of the forearm. I randomly Googled "TRG-22 ARCA" or somesuch a few months ago, and found a Norwegian company called Vision and Design, who is producing not only a complete chassis system for the TRG, but an upgraded handguard with ARCA built into its full length, and a barricade stop.

Handguard specs:
Features:

• Low CoG (center of gravity)
  • Integrated ARCA rail for the whole length
  • Barricade stopper integrated
  • Tikka CTR magazines will fit (does not apply for the TRG-42)
  • UIT rail along the bottom of the handguard
  • 2 x M-LOK slots on each side on the front for weights/accessories
  • 100mm extension of the front compared to original
  • No modification to the weapon what so ever – “Plug and play”
  • The hand guard is delivered in a black MIL-A-8625 Type III Hard Coat Anodizing surface.

I ordered one of these handguards from their international sales company, Skytterlinken, who was more than happy to ship it to me in SoCal. It was a bit pricey - right around $600 after Euro-USD conversion, VAT taxes and shipping. I received the handguard yesterday and installed it on my rifle. Since my B&T atlas spigot does not work with this handguard, I mounted a piece of picatinny into its Anschutz rail using T-Nuts. It looks great, gives me a full integrated ARCA rail and moves the rifle's COG much lower when setting up on a barricade bag - it's totally flat along its entire length.

I don't have any Tikka mags to test their claim that CTR mags will fit, but my Sako mags snapped in just fine. I haven't tried cycling any rounds yet.

I don't work for the company, and am not affiliated with them in any way. I love my TRG-22 but have been bummed by the lack of options for ARCA, so wanted to share with my fellow TRG shooters.

I can't wait to get this out to the range!
- enichols

Attachments

• 20210423_212201.jpg
    20210423_212201.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 510
  • 20210423_210829.jpg
    20210423_210829.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 679
  • 20210423_210810.jpg
    20210423_210810.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 745
Looks very interesting. How much does it change the balance point, and does it move it forward or back?

Last edited:
Looks very interesting. How much does it change the balance point, and does it move it forward or back?
@acourvil - I played with it a bit more today, and it seems to have moved the balance point just slightly backward. The balance point seems to be either right at the apex/downward point of the barricade stop (which forms the front of the magwell), or even directly underneath the magazine itself.

Last edited:
I have been considering one of these. But I never figured out if the Sako bipod mounts to it? Do you use one?

Very cool. I personally think it’s a great modernized aesthetic as well as the increased level of functionality.

GCP Rifle Company in Florida is importing the Vision & Design products to the states, I believe including these. I received an email from Rick recently that his shipment had come in.
Might be worth checking with him, if anyone else is interested and doesn't want to order overseas.

Well, this is interesting enough that I’m going to give it a try. The ability to accept the CTR mags alone might be a good enough reason, but it would be nice to have a full size ARCA rail instead of the short one I have attached by T nuts.

I have been considering one of these. But I never figured out if the Sako bipod mounts to it? Do you use one?
I do not use the Sako bipod. I have been using a B&T Atlas spigot with an Atlas CAL, but unfortunately I cannot get the B&T part to work on the new handguard without the spigot contacting the barrel.

I put a short picatinny rail section using T Nuts into the Anschutz rail on the new handguard so as to be able to mount my Atlas.

It does look like the new handguard has an inlet at the front for the Sako bipod, but I am not 100% sure if it will work. I can try asking the company.

I do not use the Sako bipod. I have been using a B&T Atlas spigot with an Atlas CAL, but unfortunately I cannot get the B&T part to work on the new handguard without the spigot contacting the barrel.

I put a short picatinny rail section using T Nuts into the Anschutz rail on the new handguard so as to be able to mount my Atlas.

It does look like the new handguard has an inlet at the front for the Sako bipod, but I am not 100% sure if it will work. I can try asking the company.
I sent an e-mail to Vision but never heard back.
If you hear anything about it, me and probably some others would appreciate if you post it here.

I sent an e-mail to Vision but never heard back.
If you hear anything about it, me and probably some others would appreciate if you post it here.
I just emailed my contact at Skytterlinken asking this very question. Will let you know once he has replied!

I just heard back from my contact at Skytterlinken, who says that the Frontguard has a bracket in front for the Sako bipod.

Based on Vision's and your photos it appears only the standard forearm accepts the Sako bipod.
While the competition handguards do not.

That forearm gives it a more modern tactical look like their M10 :)

Wouldn't mind trying one out myself.

Just got mine. I ordered direct and it was here in basically a week.

It is heavier than the OEM forearm. If you compare just the forearm, it is approx. 13oz v 30oz. If you compare the OEM forearm with a bipod spigot and a 6" ARCA rail addon, it is 23oz v. 30oz. I think the balance of my rifle is better with the Skytterlinken forearm, the balance point ends up just in front of the mag well (this is with a 28" barrel, but also with the terje338 adjustable cheek spacer in the butt). The Skytterlinken forearmis several inches longer than the OEM forearm (see pic below).

The Anschutz rail is narrower, the old sling loop I had in the OEM forearm does not fit the rail in the Skytterlinken forearm.

With dummy rounds, the CTR mags load just as well as the TRG mags.

My initial impression is very positive; I'm going to try to shoot with it a little tomorrow.

IMG_2240.jpg

These look great. My TRG is now setup in a KRG W3 and I have an A419 barrier stop near at the end of the ARCA rail. It looks very similar, so I’m sure these are a great one piece setup!

The Anschutz rail is narrower, the old sling loop I had in the OEM forearm does not fit the rail in the Skytterlinken forearm.

Wonder if the Vision forearm uses a freeland rail instead of the UIT(Anschutz) spec rail on the TRG...

Does the slot appear deeper on one or the other?

I did a quick measurement; the Sako OEM rail is .402 wide and .183 deep; the vision forearm rail is .387 wide and .200 deep. This was a quick measurement, so I could be off by a few thousandth, but they are definitely not the same. I’ve heard in the past that the TRG rail is not standard, so that’s not too surprising. FWIW, this is from a TRG from circa 2011.

Put some rounds through it with the new forearm. CTR mags run just fine, everything works as expected. The longer forearm adds some extra flexibility. I like it!

Great stock. Totally modernises the Trg

Attachments

• 1BC27906-F751-4C0C-8AC3-3EDE0406AA78.jpeg
    1BC27906-F751-4C0C-8AC3-3EDE0406AA78.jpeg
    836.1 KB · Views: 218
  • AC7A916C-15A8-464B-8868-1D242C8501FC.jpeg
    AC7A916C-15A8-464B-8868-1D242C8501FC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 203
  • 5D7F74E7-D41A-4C2F-901B-708E8FB0279F.jpeg
    5D7F74E7-D41A-4C2F-901B-708E8FB0279F.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 246
  • B46C7803-1DC9-4DF9-AB6D-1875A5B7FCB9.jpeg