• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgraded T1x vs R700 Pattern Action

skatz11

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
Lexington, KY
I’m currently shooting a T1x in a KRG Bravo chassis. I really like the gun and it shoots awesome out to 100-200yds. I’m starting to get hooked on NRL22 matches. I don’t feel like the Tikka is holding me back, but I’ve struggled to get consistent results at 300yds. I guess the two NRL-X matches I’ve signed up for will help answer these questions.

I’m intrigued by the Vudoo/RimX/Bergara setups.

I‘m torn between going full Vudoo or RimX vs installing an IBI barrel on my T1x. I’m guessing that a threaded barrel/action and match chamber are what make that platform more accurate and consistent than T1x slip fit barrel. There seem to be mixed reviews replacing them Tikka barrel.

Option 1. Max out my Tikka with a new barrel and maybe a KRG 2 stage trigger

Option 2. Go full Vudoo or RimX

Option 3. Bergara

The Bergara is the new wildcard for me. I got to shoot a few rounds through one and really liked it. I could get B14R barreled action and KRG Bravo or X-ray and be at the same cost as a Vudoo or RimX barreled action. What are the major technical between the Bergara and the premium custom 22 actions? I appreciate value, but also don’t mind spending more if theres a tangible benefit.

The other factor that is the bolt throw. I’m not wild about 90deg throws. My primary centerfire rifle is TRG, and like the short throw on my T1x.

Thanks in advance for the help. This forum has always pointed me in the right directio.

Man thats a tough call. Since you've already got the T1x it would be tempting to just upgrade. But you could easily sell it. The nice thing about 700 footprint is you can swap parts between rifles and 700 parts are easy to sell.

Reactions: skatz11
The 700 footprint was ultimately what swayed me to pick up a Bergara over the Tikka. I knew I would not be happy long term with the Tikka stock, so I started doing the math on Tikka+stock vs Bergara. They were close enough that I chose the 700 style for flexibility. Personal choice.

I did enough research on both guns that I think the average accuracy of them is likely a wash. My Bergara shoots very good, but there have been some that appeared very "average". The Tikkas have a reputation for being very accurate, but not every gun is a winner and yours might be the one that is just average. I am no 22lr expert, but I am surprised at your statement that you get good results at 100-200 yet problems at 300. What is your average group size at 100 and with what ammo? Are you seeing fliers or is it a consistent group? It could be the issue is the ammo or your technique that is showing up at the further distances? Wind calls are a big factor as well. Maybe put the upgrade money towards a trip to the Lapua testing center?

As to the differences between the Bergara, RimX and Vudoo, I can't help there other than to say that I would make the comparison that the Bergara is like a premium factory centerfire. It's well made, have a reputation for accuracy, etc. But, the Vudoo and RimX are more comparable to custom guns built off premium actions (which they are). I have yet to see a report where the Vudoo or RimX don't shoot well. The odds are just stacked in their favor to succeed. You pay a premium for the use of the best barrels mated up to the best actions. In my budget and for the local NRL22 scene, I decided that a Bergara was the best compromise on price vs performance until my shooting is good enough to extract the extra accuracy potential.

I’m currently shooting a T1x in a KRG Bravo chassis. I really like the gun and it shoots awesome out to 100-200yds. I’m starting to get hooked on NRL22 matches. I don’t feel like the Tikka is holding me back, but I’ve struggled to get consistent results at 300yds. I guess the two NRL-X matches I’ve signed up for will help answer these questions.

I’m intrigued by the Vudoo/RimX/Bergara setups.

I‘m torn between going full Vudoo or RimX vs installing an IBI barrel on my T1x. I’m guessing that a threaded barrel/action and match chamber are what make that platform more accurate and consistent than T1x slip fit barrel. There seem to be mixed reviews replacing them Tikka barrel.

Option 1. Max out my Tikka with a new barrel and maybe a KRG 2 stage trigger

Option 2. Go full Vudoo or RimX

Option 3. Bergara

The Bergara is the new wildcard for me. I got to shoot a few rounds through one and really liked it. I could get B14R barreled action and KRG Bravo or X-ray and be at the same cost as a Vudoo or RimX barreled action. What are the major technical between the Bergara and the premium custom 22 actions? I appreciate value, but also don’t mind spending more if theres a tangible benefit.

The other factor that is the bolt throw. I’m not wild about 90deg throws. My primary centerfire rifle is TRG, and like the short throw on my T1x.

Thanks in advance for the help. This forum has always pointed me in the right directio.

I have a T1X, it is stock, just a YoDave trigger spring. Shoots great. I have a Bergara B14R on the way. Money is the only thing stoping me from a Vudoo or RimX. If you have the money go with the custom guns. I have a Bat and Stiller custom action centerfire gun, you can't go wrong with a custom action.
Mark

I went through the same thought process as the OP. Upgrade or invest. I had (still have, don't use) a CZ-455 in an MDT chassis. I compete in more .22 matches than anything else.

During the decision-making process, I shot a CZ-455 heavily customized by a nationally-known builder. Even with ammo matched to the rifle by the builder, I was underwhelmed. Here's a rifle known to be excellent, with a final finished cost higher than a Vudoo.

If I upgraded my 455, it would be costly, time consuming, and fraught with self-questioning any time it didn't shoot bugholes. So I ordered a Vudoo.

Of course the rifle is excellent. But the customer service experience adds a satisfaction and confidence component that you're just not going to get on the upgrade-lesser-rifle path. I had a couple of early glitches with my specific V-22 action in my specific MPA chassis. I didn't have to deal with some some faceless service drone or send my rifle off to a black hole to be fingered (maybe) by a faceless service drone. I got right-the-f-now attention from the guy who designed the rifle - who is VERY active here on SH.

If you have the coin, order a Vudoo, enjoy the experience, and be done.

Look through the 6x5 results. Very few Tikka.
Be realistic about your expectations.
For info, I have 300 yds to shoot here at home. Have an old Annie single shot. Wanted a repeater with modern feel for practice. Went Tikka T1x and a Bravo stock. Ran out to the limits of the rifle pretty quick. Love the gun but it’s holding me back. If money isn’t a factor and you are not just looking for a gunsmith project/challenge to upgrade the Tikka, get the Voodoo or RimX and don’t look back.

Just went through this same thought process. Have about 5000+ rounds through my fully tricked out T1x in a KRG Bravo, and while it was great, there were some deficiencies that got me to upgrade to a Vudoo. Things like finicky magazines, pickiness with ammo, an ok trigger, and overall weight limitations started getting to me. Accuracy was perfectly acceptable at 100 yards, but nothing to write home about.

I picked a Vudoo because of it's reputation for accuracy and R700 compatibility; dropped in a TT Diamond and an MPA chassis, and it feels almost identical to my centerfire setup. This is definitely the case of a buy nice or buy twice; if you go to a Bergara, you'll eventually look to upgrade to the Vudoo (IMO).

I was in a similar boat not long ago. I have a T1x in a KRG Bravo with a YoDave trigger spring. At the local NRL 22 matches the gun was NOT holding me back from an accuracy or reliability standpoint. I dont have any groups handy but I had zero complaints with it out to 150 or so (rarely shot beyond that).

That said, I just moved to a Vudoo about a month ago and have zero regrets. My biggest reason was to align it with my centerfire match gun. Now I have the same trigger, same stock, (optic is next to align), and with the added weight in the front it balances and feels like my centerfire. Building positions and moving during a stage feels more natural and fluid, recoil aside they handle near identically.

As folks have mentioned or alluded to above, if you upgrade the T1x; maybe you will end at something amazing. Maybe not. To me it just made more sense to get a Vudoo and KNOW it will be amazing and check all my boxes.

Impact_V22.jpg

I’m not going to sell the Tikka or try to swap barrel. I’ll probably end up with a Vudoo eventually.

I was able to confirm the elevation data for 300yds. I need to shoot more paper to get a feel for the actual accuracy potential. Putting up oversized paper helped a lot. I think my issue before was not being able to see my misses on the steel before.

I'd like to note that 22lr elevation at 300 is not written in stone. Having spent 2 full days at the same range, with another day snowing and other in sunshine, I learned to trust my Kestrel and the MV table I had gathered.

In short:
Do not expect the 300 elevation to remain the same when weather changes, at all. I remember having around 1.5-2mil difference at 300m from the day prior. So if your shots fall short or not, write down enviromentals.

Was in this same dilemma with my CZ 455. Decided I’d be happier in the long run with a Vudoo and man am I glad I made that decision. Honestly, call Vudoo sometime just to talk to them and you’ll have your mind made up. I don’t know what their guarantee is but if there is ever a time you just aren’t happy with your Vudoo, they take care of you. Imagine buying a rifle that you KNOW is going to perform to your liking, and that’s what you get with a Vudoo. I sound like a salesman here but seriously, my statement mirrors anyone’s experience with vudoos customer support.