UPS Store Policies

D

Dr59860

Just found out that "any item that can be used as part of a gun" is prohibited from being shipped from a UPS store. I tried 4 different stores on my way to work...same answer from all. I was trying to ship a scope.

Jrb572

Belligerents
Dec 7, 2008
St. Charles Missouri
I did not know scopes were included. I only ship from a UPS hub. They except everything. The only bitch is my UPS here will not ship without the FFL it’s going to. But from what I understand they can not do that.

alfack

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2018
Boise, Idaho
That's bullshit. I shipped a scope last week and told them it was a "rifle scope." Also, a lot of the optics manufacturers use UPS to ship their stuff.

MarkCO

Belligerents
Dec 21, 2010
Colorado
www.CarbonArms.us
We use a UPS store for our business mailbox. I ship and receive NUMEROUS (all non-FFL) gun parts and optics and they are fine with it. They winced a little bit when my annual Powder Valley order arrived. I have gone to USPS registered mail for long guns. Just easier with cheaper insurance and better security.

D

Dr59860

Box it up, send in your lady with an instruction sheet. :)
I thought about that, but what do you tell them is in the box? If the scope gets damaged, you can't show them pictures of your damaged scope when you told them it was a circuit card.

MarkCO

Belligerents
Dec 21, 2010
Colorado
www.CarbonArms.us
I thought about that, but what do you tell them is in the box? If the scope gets damaged, you can't show them pictures of your damaged scope when you told them it was a circuit card.
Machine parts, or Optical instruments. I take a photo with the box and part, then wrapped up in the box. Buy insurance at the rate you want. If it is all written out what shipping method, etc, they won't hassle her at all. They profile too thankfully. :)

MotorOilMcCall

Mandalorian
Hessian
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2014
Buffalo
I always tell them its a "Spanner Wrench" regardless of size or shape of the box. My UPS store in NY won't accept anything gun related either. I once had a manufacturer send me a barrel blank that wasn't right via UPS. I opened it, found the error, went to send it back via UPS and was told they couldn't accept it... I bitched to the store owner, showed him the box it came in was from UPS, and he still wouldn't budge.

So now, whether its a set of rings, a stock, a barrel, whatever, it's a spanner wrench...

k80mp

Private
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
UPS is a joke!
They lost a package with a rifle inside, then failed to deliver it twice. Finally, they dropped it at the front door of my house, without signature. Minutes later they called me to say the package was minutes away from delivery at my office location.

demolitionman

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Feb 26, 2013
Ohio
Whatever you do don't tell them "it's a fishing rod". They'll make sure they break it in half and still deliver it in two pieces. And yes my Rods are as expense as Spurh mounts......i ship them suckers in heavy schedule pvc pipe now.

Waorani

Comfortably Numb
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Opelika, AL
UPS stores are a joke. Get your own UPS account and then all you have to do is drop off.

BoilerUP

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 16, 2011
Clark Co., IN
UPS Stores are franchises, not corporate retail stores.

A UPS Customer Center should create MUCH less hassle...although there is no guarantee that the person working there actually knows corporate policy WRT firearms (this is also true of FedEx and USPS, in my experience).

I also second creating your own UPS (and USPS and FedEx) account online, generating your own label, and just dropping a package off...it is just easier (and often cheaper) that way.

Arc Light

Sheeple Herder
Belligerents
Aug 13, 2012
In the Mountains
UPS stores are a joke. Get your own UPS account and then all you have to do is drop off.
This.

I haven't stepped foot in a UPS "Store" in years. Most don't have a clue about UPS's actual policies, make up shit as they please, then rape you on the cost to box up an item. I print my own labels at home from my UPS account and hand the packages to my UPS driver or go to my local UPS hub. The one with real UPS employees. Never been asked a single question about any of the hundreds of packages I've shipped.

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
Belligerents
Dec 20, 2017
The only use a UPS store is for is to drop off pre-labled Amazon returns. Or anything pre-labled. Good luck trying to walk in and ship anything for a reasonable rate.

Machine parts is what I 'claim' when asked.

Reactions: M8541Reaper

Tucker301

Groundskeeper
Banned !
Feb 13, 2015
Southern VA
My UPS store is awesome and VERY pro 2A. I have a business box there. Im always showing him "stuff" I get in....
That's how it goes with franchises.
It's all dependent on the mindset of the owners and managers.

Reactions: Max

Jay McLean

Amateur trigger snatcher
Belligerents
Mar 1, 2017
Middle Tennessee
I had the same experience at a UPS store, trying to ship factory bottom metal. I explained that it was 50 state legal and the girl didn't care. I found a privately owned shipping store and they get all of my business.

PsychUnit

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
May 1, 2014
I had to send a Trij optic in for some work. What I was told when I went in to the UPS store was that scopes were the only part that could be shipped.

Batemanb12

Master of None
Belligerents
Aug 9, 2011
St Louis
My local UPS Store would not ship a Scope as it said Rifle Scope on the side.... What a bunch of shit, I will never use them for anything now. :mad:
Went to the USPS and got it boxed up and shipped no problem.
I get not wanting to ship a firearm at the store, but a scope or anything gun related......

Thorny

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
We have two here. One no problem. The other, yeah..., we can't ship this for you. Then i tell them It's a giant dildo. Oh, ok, no problem. Is it's value under $100.00 dollars? Yep, you bet.

• Haha
Reactions: BCX

mkollman74

Quo Vadis?
Belligerents
Nov 5, 2009
WA, USA
My local UPS Store informed me of this policy as well It’s not UPS as a whole, it’s only the UPS Stores. She also kindly informed me that if it had a pre-printed UPS label, they are required to accept the package.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope

BCX

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2018
I have the same experience w the UPS store. I won't try to use them for anything. UPS hub will ship anything.

Reverie Ranges

11B3HB4 1997-2007
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2019
Vancouver, WA
I came into this problem several months ago. Wanted to ship my cousin's pistol back to him on the other side of the country; UPS here would only ship FFL to FFL. Waited almost a month and a half for ATF to respond to my email about shipping. Honest people suffer for the misdeeds of the wicked.

Ravenworks

Semper-Fi "80-84"
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2019
North Coast
Reactions: BLKWLFK9

BLKWLFK9

Just F'n Send It..
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Yes, the UPS store policies are whatever the franchise owner wants them to be. They do not go by UPS guidelines. The store here wont even ship something that rhymes with gun. However, im pretty sure I can ship a nuclear warhead through the UPS hub. I just hate that its all the way on the other side of town in no-mans-land off the highway.

Reactions: Ravenworks