• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

UPS Store Policies

D

Dr59860

Just found out that "any item that can be used as part of a gun" is prohibited from being shipped from a UPS store. I tried 4 different stores on my way to work...same answer from all. I was trying to ship a scope.

Reactions: XLR308
I did not know scopes were included. I only ship from a UPS hub. They except everything. The only bitch is my UPS here will not ship without the FFL it’s going to. But from what I understand they can not do that.

We use a UPS store for our business mailbox. I ship and receive NUMEROUS (all non-FFL) gun parts and optics and they are fine with it. They winced a little bit when my annual Powder Valley order arrived. I have gone to USPS registered mail for long guns. Just easier with cheaper insurance and better security.

Box it up, send in your lady with an instruction sheet. :)

I thought about that, but what do you tell them is in the box? If the scope gets damaged, you can't show them pictures of your damaged scope when you told them it was a circuit card.

I thought about that, but what do you tell them is in the box? If the scope gets damaged, you can't show them pictures of your damaged scope when you told them it was a circuit card.

Machine parts, or Optical instruments. I take a photo with the box and part, then wrapped up in the box. Buy insurance at the rate you want. If it is all written out what shipping method, etc, they won't hassle her at all. They profile too thankfully. :)

Reactions: themightytimmah
I always tell them its a "Spanner Wrench" regardless of size or shape of the box. My UPS store in NY won't accept anything gun related either. I once had a manufacturer send me a barrel blank that wasn't right via UPS. I opened it, found the error, went to send it back via UPS and was told they couldn't accept it... I bitched to the store owner, showed him the box it came in was from UPS, and he still wouldn't budge.

So now, whether its a set of rings, a stock, a barrel, whatever, it's a spanner wrench...

UPS is a joke!
They lost a package with a rifle inside, then failed to deliver it twice. Finally, they dropped it at the front door of my house, without signature. Minutes later they called me to say the package was minutes away from delivery at my office location.

Whatever you do don't tell them "it's a fishing rod". They'll make sure they break it in half and still deliver it in two pieces. And yes my Rods are as expense as Spurh mounts......i ship them suckers in heavy schedule pvc pipe now.

UPS Stores are franchises, not corporate retail stores.

A UPS Customer Center should create MUCH less hassle...although there is no guarantee that the person working there actually knows corporate policy WRT firearms (this is also true of FedEx and USPS, in my experience).

I also second creating your own UPS (and USPS and FedEx) account online, generating your own label, and just dropping a package off...it is just easier (and often cheaper) that way.

UPS stores are a joke. Get your own UPS account and then all you have to do is drop off.

This.

I haven't stepped foot in a UPS "Store" in years. Most don't have a clue about UPS's actual policies, make up shit as they please, then rape you on the cost to box up an item. I print my own labels at home from my UPS account and hand the packages to my UPS driver or go to my local UPS hub. The one with real UPS employees. Never been asked a single question about any of the hundreds of packages I've shipped.

The only use a UPS store is for is to drop off pre-labled Amazon returns. Or anything pre-labled. Good luck trying to walk in and ship anything for a reasonable rate.

Machine parts is what I 'claim' when asked.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
My UPS store is awesome and VERY pro 2A. I have a business box there. Im always showing him "stuff" I get in....

Reactions: Bradu
I had the same experience at a UPS store, trying to ship factory bottom metal. I explained that it was 50 state legal and the girl didn't care. I found a privately owned shipping store and they get all of my business.

I had to send a Trij optic in for some work. What I was told when I went in to the UPS store was that scopes were the only part that could be shipped.

My local UPS Store would not ship a Scope as it said Rifle Scope on the side.... What a bunch of shit, I will never use them for anything now. :mad:
Went to the USPS and got it boxed up and shipped no problem.
I get not wanting to ship a firearm at the store, but a scope or anything gun related......

We have two here. One no problem. The other, yeah..., we can't ship this for you. Then i tell them It's a giant dildo. Oh, ok, no problem. Is it's value under $100.00 dollars? Yep, you bet.

• Haha
Reactions: BCX
My local UPS Store informed me of this policy as well It’s not UPS as a whole, it’s only the UPS Stores. She also kindly informed me that if it had a pre-printed UPS label, they are required to accept the package.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I have the same experience w the UPS store. I won't try to use them for anything. UPS hub will ship anything.

I came into this problem several months ago. Wanted to ship my cousin's pistol back to him on the other side of the country; UPS here would only ship FFL to FFL. Waited almost a month and a half for ATF to respond to my email about shipping. Honest people suffer for the misdeeds of the wicked.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Yes, the UPS store policies are whatever the franchise owner wants them to be. They do not go by UPS guidelines. The store here wont even ship something that rhymes with gun. However, im pretty sure I can ship a nuclear warhead through the UPS hub. I just hate that its all the way on the other side of town in no-mans-land off the highway.

Reactions: Ravenworks
They wouldn't accept beer one time and then called the goddamn post office across the street to narc me out to them.

Aren't UPS are privately owned and fly by their own rules for the most part?

UPS stores are HIGHLY governed by corporate, despite being privately owned. I have gone to corporate for a refund refused by the store, per their written policy, with success.

I have known a least two owners fairly well and the amount of directives they must follow from corporate are astounding. I would be very surprised if they were allow to make up rules regarding what they will or will not ship (blowing smoke or looking the other way not withstanding) on the fly.

Understand, one of the hallmarks of the “franchise” is consistent consumer experience. We had a brouhaha in Maine years back because McDonalds (or perhaps Burger King) stopped buying local Maine spuds for their fries because they tasted too good. Inconsistent with other parts of the country using potatoes from other states was their stated reason.

If you have an issue with a store, go to corporate. If they stonewall you keep at them.

UPS stores are HIGHLY governed by corporate, despite being privately owned. I have gone to corporate for a refund refused by the store, per their written policy, with success.

I have known a least two owners fairly well and the amount of directives they must follow from corporate are astounding. I would be very surprised if they were allow to make up rules regarding what they will or will not ship (blowing smoke or looking the other way not withstanding) on the fly.

Understand, one of the hallmarks of the “franchise” is consistent consumer experience. We had a brouhaha in Maine years back because McDonalds (or perhaps Burger King) stopped buying local Maine spuds for their fries because they tasted too good. Inconsistent with other parts of the country using potatoes from other states was their stated reason.

If you have an issue with a store, go to corporate. If they stonewall you keep at them.
Yes, this is true enough, if you think that working with a Store owner with an anti-gun stance is worth your time and effort. I am willing to travel a small amount more if it means that I don’t have to fight with someone just to ship a package.

For example, for a while I was sending off hundreds of rounds of brass on a regular basis, using USPS one rate packs. A P.O. Near my work was convenient, but would always make it a hassle if they found out it was brass. One day, the postmaster at that location came out and said that she would not accept it as it was illegal. When I showed her the USPS’s own documentation saying that it was legal, she still refused.

Sure, I could have spent hours (if not days) contacting her superiors and making her follow federal regulations, but I instead just use another location that’s 5 minutes further away. No issues ever. I have better places to direct my attention and efforts that are more worthy of my time.

Now, I ship most anything out with pre-paid labels on my account, whether it be USPS, UPS or FedX. Much less hassle.

I'm going to agree with Lash on this one.
It's not just stores like UPS making rules as they go.
Try going to a pharmacy where a temp is filling in for the day, fortunately we have decent people at our pharmacy.

My old insurance required me to go to CVS for anything more than 30 days.
I sat in horror as I watched 2 pharmacist laugh about making a guy at the drive up window come back for his pain meds because his last RX was filled at 8pm and he was 45 minutes early.

Gun folk not standing up for themselves and rolling over is nothing new. If they (shipping companies) discriminated against gay folks (The Spartans) they would have their ass in a a sling. The Spartans don’t put up with that shit. Conversely, we, gun owners ( the little girls of political and cultural warfare) simply pretend we are talking about an enumerated human right. Number 2 to be precise......

You have 3 choices basically when shipping. USPS and won’t ship handguns. In case no one is paying attention there are not so great predictions about Fed Ex. US postal has its ass hanging by a thread.

These are not just businesses but tantamount to public utilities in this day and age. Amazon has long been planning to get into the shipping game. What do you think that will do to the weakest players? Do you think Amazon will ship guns and ammo et al?

We are in big trouble with “private” companies increasing turning their backs on us. We had better start sticking up for ourselves or else. Yea but it’s an inconvenience 🙄

Not everybody is a crusader. It really helps that you consider anyone not crusading to be a little girl. :rolleyes:

Went to the local ups shop years ago sending a stock off to get an adjustable comb installed.
girl said we dont ship gun stuff, i said it is a block of wood that i am getting made into a piece of artwork.
wrapped it , packed it and shipped it. Nothing since

I work at UPS and this is BS. we ship rifles all of the time, scopes too and bullets and ammo....
I work at the hub, and our customer counter ships everything

Reactions: lash
I work at UPS and this is BS. we ship rifles all of the time, scopes too and bullets and ammo....
I work at the hub, and our customer counter ships everything
I have shipped ammunition multiple times and rifles a couple times. Declared and properly marked, from a hub. No problem.

UPS hub here in Amarillo ships everything but needs the FFL for whatever reason

They refused to ship an empty pelican gun case for me once lol. I never go to a ups store anymore. Always a hub/customer center.