• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes US Optic ST-10

LRReaper0180

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2012
I am looking into purchasing the USO ST-10 and I want to know if the ERGO upgrade is necessary on that particular scope; because it is being a fixed-power scope? The upgrade on USO's website is 200 and if I don't need it, it would save me some money.

Re: US Optic ST-10

Kinda depends on what ya want the scope for, i have the st~10 slimline without ergo and have never felt like i wished i had it, but i use mine on a truck field utility rifle

I'm on my second ST-10 and opted for the Ergo both times. For the most part depending on what you're doing wit it the adjustable parallex isn't needed. It's "nice" to have is all.

A good example of this is compare it to the S&B 10x PMII. It is fixed and everything I've read is that the folks that have them love the scope and never miss the adjustable parallex.

A side note with USO & being fixed is that you can have them set the parallex to what ever distance you want or go by their experience and hit a happy medium.

I belong to a range that has a 500 meter target line but I would like to have the ability to go out to 1000; should I ever find a range that has that ability or do some long range shooting comps.
I also painted my rifle and I wanted to have the scope painted but thats an extra 400+ in upgrades. I wanted to keep my price down cause I'm looking at getting a nice set of rings.

I want the versatility to shoot out to a 1000. I belong to a club that has a 500 meter line but I want to have that option to shoot past that.

The Ergo on the ST-10 makes the scope less reliable IMO. I had 2 ST-10's with the ERGO adjustment and if for some reason the objective gets bumped or dropped, the ERGO comes loose from the threads and literally falls off. The fixed parallax is what I would opt for if I were to get another ST-10.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BESETbyAPOSTATES</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Ergo on the ST-10 makes the scope less reliable IMO. I had 2 ST-10's with the ERGO adjustment and if for some reason the objective gets bumped or dropped, the ERGO comes loose from the threads and literally falls off. The fixed parallax is what I would opt for if I were to get another ST-10. </div></div>

hmmmm.....so they are giving premier a run for their money with detachable knobs?

how many pubes be in a u.s.o.?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BESETbyAPOSTATES</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Ergo on the ST-10 makes the scope less reliable IMO. I had 2 ST-10's with the ERGO adjustment and if for some reason the objective gets bumped or dropped, the ERGO comes loose from the threads and literally falls off. The fixed parallax is what I would opt for if I were to get another ST-10. </div></div>

hmmmm.....so they are giving premier a run for their money with detachable knobs?

how many pubes be in a u.s.o.? </div></div>

LOL. I just spit a little coffee...

I run them both ways. The fixed objective is not a problem out to 1500 meters so far.

The trick is you can use the reticle focus to also clear up the down range image at the extremes of distances you use the scope, yet still keep the reticle sharp. The reticle is sharp over a fairly broad range of adjustment.

Movement of any lens that is in the path between the reflected light off the target and your eye will effect the down range image. Doesn't matter where that lens is in the system - front or back or both.

If you order a new scope, you can also have USO set it up to favor close or far distance, whichever you are most concerned with having a sharp image with.

Really!? I thought USOs were built for reliability and extreme performance. LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BESETbyAPOSTATES</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Ergo on the ST-10 makes the scope less reliable IMO. I had 2 ST-10's with the ERGO adjustment and if for some reason the objective gets bumped or dropped, the ERGO comes loose from the threads and literally falls off. The fixed parallax is what I would opt for if I were to get another ST-10. </div></div>

With this in consideration with the Ergo. They do offer the ST-10 with the T-Pal and 37mm objective.

Food for thought if you hung up on having an ST-10 and want the adjustable parallax without worry of your objective faling off.
wink.gif

In regards to setting the Parallax to favor close or far distences; if I set the parallax at say 500 in the middle would that be good for close and far distences? I just don't want to set the parallax out so far that it doesn't work inside 300.

I opted to go with a fixed power because the price was better than the variable power, first focal plain scopes. I didn't want to much power but I didn't want to not have enough to do 1000 yards, should I find a place that allows it.

Call and talk over what you want with the good folks at USO and they will recommend a good setting for you.

Yeah, I will do that. Its just a lot of money to spend and I wanna get it setup the way I want it or its a waste of money. Thanks for all your help.

democracy.jpg

Get your parallax set at 200 yards if you decide to go with the fixed parallax. For your ranges I would suggest the Ergo. You could cut your cost by not getting the EREK knob. That scope gets over 100 MOA of travel. I will personally guarantee you that it won't fall off!!

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgtkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get your parallax set at 200 yards if you decide to go with the fixed parallax. For your ranges I would suggest the Ergo. You could cut your cost by not getting the EREK knob. That scope gets over 100 MOA of travel. I will personally guarantee you that it won't fall off!!

Jason </div></div>

You are doing yourself a great disservice by getting a USO without an EREK if you plan to use it for long range shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgtkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get your parallax set at 200 yards if you decide to go with the fixed parallax. For your ranges I would suggest the Ergo. You could cut your cost by not getting the EREK knob. That scope gets over 100 MOA of travel. I will personally guarantee you that it won't fall off!!

Jason </div></div>

You are doing yourself a great disservice by getting a USO without an EREK if you plan to use it for long range shooting. </div></div>

Yes you are correct. Given that they are around the same price and he's trying to keep cost down I was just giving my opinion on which one I thought was more important.

Easy decision.

I had several built to this spec - I called it my "FL" model - the L is for Lupy - after being stymied by their lack of responsiveness to the market need of matching knobs and reticles.

ST-10 30MM
Fixed Obj 37MM (goes great on about anything including lower profile MK12 type builds)
1/10 mil EREK w large numbers/single turn marking (for us old blind guys)
1/10 mil Slimline #1 windage knob (can still take an M-40 scalloped knob for the dialers but low profile when covered for us holders)
GAP Mil Scale reticle

Put this up next to a Lupy Mk 4 fixed 10X or 3.5-10, compare the features and usability, then the price - a no brainer scope to buy the USO over the Lupy.

I've sold several of this or a similar configuration - had yet for the scope to leave the fleet of the owner. It may bounce around from rifle to rifle, but it does not leave.... just a great scope to have around. Rimfire to 50 cal - it will do the trick. A no brainer on a utility 308 rifle. Love it on the Mk 12 as a Type III optic when using the weapons system at its MEF of 700 meters.

This. EXACTLY as 9H described. Here is my "FL" on my "truck gun". Absolute perfect optic for this application. SR

DSCN1290.jpg

DSCN1285.jpg

Fixed on a 10X is really only a problem inside the range that it's fixed and at extreme distances. Odds are you won't be trying to shoot tiny groups @ 1k or 50 yards with a fixed 10X but for everything else hunting steel 600 yard paper it's fine. If I purchased an ST10 I'd want the slimline and with either 5mil turrets (about all you'll need to 600 with 223 or 308 typically)or the erek in mils.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fixed on a 10X is really only a problem inside the range that it's fixed and at extreme distances. Odds are you won't be trying to shoot tiny groups @ 1k or 50 yards with a fixed 10X but for everything else hunting steel 600 yard paper it's fine. If I purchased an ST10 I'd want the slimline and with either 5mil turrets (about all you'll need to 600 with 223 or 308 typically)or the erek in mils. </div></div>

I was shooting at 1500M with a 338LM topped with a 6x ACOG using reticle holdovers the other day. It worked incredibly well.

As someone that shoots irons at a grand with regularity, 10X is like fresh whipped cream on home made coconut cream pie...

Spend some time with fixed power as an experiment. Go as low as 4X. It might surprise you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fixed on a 10X is really only a problem inside the range that it's fixed and at extreme distances. Odds are you won't be trying to shoot tiny groups @ 1k or 50 yards with a fixed 10X but for everything else hunting steel 600 yard paper it's fine. If I purchased an ST10 I'd want the slimline and with either 5mil turrets (about all you'll need to 600 with 223 or 308 typically)or the erek in mils. </div></div>

I was shooting at 1500M with a 338LM topped with a 6x ACOG using reticle holdovers the other day. It worked incredibly well.

As someone that shoots irons at a grand with regularity, 10X is like fresh whipped cream on home made coconut cream pie...

Spend some time with fixed power as an experiment. Go as low as 4X. It might surprise you.</div></div>

Exactly this, i think i have a man crush on 9.h

I think If I skip anything I will opt out of the paint-job. Thats 180 off the price. I custom painted my rifle but I think it will look just fine on there Matte Black.

Whats your opion on using the ST-10 on a LWRC M6A2 16" barrel 5.56 with a H1 set on a 45 angle?
I was looking at getting a 1-6/8 magnification but the fixed 10x sounds tempting.
Sorry, Please let me know if this is hijacking the thread.

Honestly the EREK is a toss-up on the ST-10 and a personal preference. My first ST-10 I went with it. It keeps the over-all profile low but this time I went with the US#3 M40 style.

Besides the custom coatings it's also your preference but if you're budget minded or limited skip it. Consider you're choices of reticles as most of them cost $$ along with turrets. I went with an illuminated reticle this time around and once again opted for the Ergo. I like the fine tuning with the parallax but just didn't "need" the EREK. It all came out in the wash.

OP, if you're serious about buying, talk with USO about your concerns / questions but order with Lazy21. Julio is great to deal with and his pricing is real tough to beat. Give him a shout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paladin80</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want the versatility to shoot out to a 1000. I belong to a club that has a 500 meter line but I want to have that option to shoot past that.</div></div>

I didn't get the ERGO on mine. Sometimes wished I had. I'm not sure some aren't confusing the ERGO with the TPAL? TPAL is basically side mounted parallax control, instead of on the front objective.

Anyhow, what I did with mine was have them set the parallax at 500. That can make for as much as a 1.25" off @ 100. But, by 'centering in' (taking a half clear/half black sight picture and riding your cheek on the buttstock forward, centering it all the way til it's all clear) I'm able to keep the error to minimum. On the other end of the spectrum it makes for as much as 2" error @ 1000. I do the same thing and it's working pretty well for me. I've had it on my .223, 6mm AI, and 7mm-08 and I've walked that scope right out to 1k and started center-punching without issue. It gets a little dicier @ 1500 (4" error) and 2000 (8" error) but still manageable if you 'center it in'. The optics are quite clear and while small, the target is very seeable.

When I had this scope built my philosophy was to keep it as simple as possible. I don't even have to dial until 1.5 k with it. (moa reticle- 40 L-R, 60 down). It's not a scope to shoot tight groups with, it's a scope to get on target as quickly as you can with no math. Match elevation and windage numbers and fire.

Okay, my bad,

I was thinking parallax adjustment (ERGO) when some of you are talking elevation adjustment (EREK).

As noted, I have neither. But if I was a 'dialer' I'd definitely go with the EREK. As it is, I use their standard target knobs to very good effect. They do however, have to be seen, unless you have a way of setting up your own zero-stop.

I've been there and done that, get the Ergo. I did'nt and it caused problems past 500. It was usuable but the frustration was'nt worth saving $200. GET THE ERGO!

I can understand if someone passes on the ERGO if they are budget minded, in a pinch or has done their home work knowing they just don't need it.

BUT, it's a bonus when looking down the road for resale value. If you're keeping it for ever and know what you want, that's great but so many folks buy stuff and sell or upgrade or what ever at some point. The same can be said for the EREK option. This is a good option when looking at resale along with the trend of mil/mil scopes and if you stay MOA considering 1/4 verses 1/2 adjustments. Reticles are a whole other thing to really consider as what will work for you, cost if once again considering budget and then down the road if trading/selling towards upgrading.

More food for thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

BUT, it's a bonus when looking down the road for resale value. </div></div>

Are you buying the scope to use it or to sell it?

I do design work for a living. It does not matter what industry you are talking about. Every design is composed of compromises and tradeoffs.

The USO ST-10 scope design is one that is very forgiving in the area of down range image focus and parallax. So is the 3.2-17 BTW. Of all the scopes you would consider for use over a wide range of distances without a movable objective lens or additional lens in the middle with external adjustment, this is one you can do it with.

No adjustable objective on an ST-10 (or their SN-4) still makes for a very usable scope.

Try one in real life - doing so helps internet comments have some credibility (not pointed at you sr15 just a general comment about the ST-10 real life versus internet pontification/speculation)

Sandwarior, Interesting to hear you explain using good practice as I have not heard it explained quite that way. Proper position behind the rifle and repeat that position is not very helpful compared to reducing the fov or as you described the black ring. Position may not be so forgiving or comfortable. Ah, another consideration for the A/O.
I feel it is worth 200 to me even if it rarely gets dialed to precision.

I went with the ERGO because I knew it was going to be bouncing between rifles from 22lr to 308. I'm very happy I went with the ERGO when the scope is mounted on a 22lr so I can get precise shot placement at 50 yards. I can understand opting out of the parallax adjustment if the optic was strictly used on a mid to long-range rig.