• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes US Optics factory (pics- more!)....

Victor Co Heather

Victor Company USA
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2006
SOCAL USA
www.victorcompanyusa.com
Hey Hiders-

A couple weeks ago, I purchased a USO and had trouble figuring out how to sight it in.... (completely user error
blush.gif
)

USO bottoming out thread

John @ USO contacted me immediately and was kind enough to invite me down to the USO shop and have my scope sighted in with a hands-on lesson on how I can do it for myself. Since John is out of town at the NRA convention, his main dude, Arnold gave me the lesson and took me for a tour of USO.

I went down today and they couldn't have been nicer!! Arnold got me straightened out immediately and gave me the full tour of the place. Big thanks to John, Arnold and all the guys working hard for us down there!

Here are some pics of my experience....

The sportmen's glass mecca is a non-descript building that blends like camo into the surrounding business park.

L1040660.jpg

Arnold greeted me and placed my rifle in a vise and applied a magnetic bore-sighter.

L1040661.jpg

My lesson began and he explained kindly the dials were waaaaaay off...

arnold_fixing.jpg

After he dialed it in, he messed the knobs and had me fix them myself. He then noticed my rear butler creek flip cap was gone (lost in the desert) and the front one was looking sad so he hooked me up with a proper set of USO flip caps!!

my_gap.jpg

Into the trash with the sorry butler creek...

butler.jpg

Then Arnold took me on a tour of the factory. It was a blend of old school machines...

old_fashion.jpg

And state of the art technology...

cnc_machine.jpg

Everything is made right here in USA/CA, no imported crap. From the knob caps...

cnc_caps.jpg

caps.jpg

to turrets:

turrets.jpg

Continued next post....

Re: US Optics factory (pics)....

USO tour continued...

The ring machine was chuggin' away...

ring_makes.jpg

The glass shop is right in the building too:

glass.jpg

glas.jpg

optic_station.jpg

Every scope is checked and re-checked for accuracy...

scope-1.jpg

mils.jpg

One of the USO guys fell thru the roof a little while back, they were busy getting the roof repaired and a new room built...

new_room.jpg

Here is a quick pic of an R&D table...

RnD.jpg

And finally the assembly room:

optic_room.jpg

hard_at_work.jpg

I have to admit, I'm really impressed. Not only is my scope made like a tank, accurate as all heck and priced less than other comparable scope... it's American made and I love that.

In these days of lowering standards and sending out all our work to foreign countries to do our labor and manufacturing in exchange for higher profit margins, USO sticks to the good old fashioned American ethic of work here, work hard and stand behind your work.

I'm a happy customer!

Nice! I'm going to order my first USO soon, I cant' wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Were any of the USO girls there, or were they off with JBW3 at the show? </div></div>

I keep hearing about them, but no one ever has pics. Maybe this thread will deliver.

ME an my Pop had a blast when we went to the old shop. JWIII gave us the 'nickel tour'. The best part was the cold brews we shared at the end of the day.
Of course when we got into the car I had to ask my Pop,"Hey, you're a gearhead, right?"
"Yeah, why?"
"You gonna just tear out of the parking lot without going inside the Clay Smith Cams Shop?"

That was a pretty cool tour too! OC rips, but man that smog kicks my families asses

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Were any of the USO girls there, or were they off with JBW3 at the show? </div></div>

After searching behind the large machinery and in some random boxes, I came to the conclusion John must keep his USO girls in tow. (AZ)

(There was a cute blonde woman there, I asked her if she was a USO girl and she claimed she wasn't. I should've asked her to strip down and prove it, but I was a gentleman.
cool.gif
)

Very cool pics! Honestly, seeing those soothes my nerves some over the ongoing wait for my scope (about 17 weeks now)... thanks for sharing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool pics! Honestly, seeing those soothes my nerves some over the ongoing wait for my scope (about 17 weeks now)... thanks for sharing. </div></div>

It's worth the wait. I know they got backlogged with the construction problems but those guys are going full bore to get everyone out their gear. You're gonna love your glass when it arrives.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where's those MST-100's ?!? </div></div>

Man they had so many MST100s in production, I was salivating. They were in all stages of finish- with the distinctive bell, it was hard to miss. (no pics tho.. doh!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where's those MST-100's ?!? </div></div>

(no pics tho.. doh!)

</div></div>

DOHHH !!!
grin.gif

Arnold is the man ! He helped me out considerably with my ST-10. Went above and beyond !!

Just noticed... Fawken' Arnie wearing Flip Flops...
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just noticed... Fawken' Arnie wearing Flip Flops...
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I take it you have never been to Cali before...because damn near everyone wears flip flops year round to go ANYWHERE!

Arnold kicks ass. Jw3 not as much. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where's those MST-100's ?!? </div></div>

Man they had so many MST100s in production, I was salivating. They were in all stages of finish- with the distinctive bell, it was hard to miss. (no pics tho.. doh!)

</div></div>
Thanks for posting this, many are eager to receive one....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
(There was a cute blonde woman there, I asked her if she was a USO girl and she claimed she wasn't. I should've asked her to strip down and prove it, but I was a gentleman.
cool.gif
)

</div></div>

That would be Becky...
smile.gif
Even if you don't see the other USO girls, she is well worth the trip already.

Got a nice message from her today that I should be hearing from her at the beginning of the week next week. I am hoping it is good news about the SN3 I ordered.
smile.gif

I've taken two tours of the shop already... Love the fact they are only a short drive from my work.

I wonder if they will hire me part time, pay me in SN3 of course!

I can't wait to make a USO trip. I love seeing how things are made. I recently made it up to GAP and got to see those guys work their majic.

More pics for you USO diehards....

Bubble levels by the dozens:

levels-1.jpg

Rings in different stages pulled for testing:

rings_stages.jpg

Thinga-mabobs that fit into the hoozits:

thingys.jpg

Lens grinder in action:

grinder.jpg

Laser etcher, burning mil marks:

lazer.jpg

Arnold inspecting some work:

inspection.jpg

Arnold at work on my gap:

boresight.jpg

and some moron flipped their car in traffic (only in LA) ....

crash.jpg

crash2.jpg

Do they hand polish all the lenses or something? I want to know more about the glass shop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do they hand polish all the lenses or something? I want to know more about the glass shop. </div></div>

I'm not sure exactly- I saw some grinding and something that looked like polishing but I'm no expert.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sommers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a HUD GPS or just a reflection? </div></div>

Head-up gps/mph in the windshield.

Re: US Optics factory (pics- more!)....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great photos, thanks for sharing.
flipped cars in L.A.? ...EVERYDAY.

whcih scope did you end up purchasing? </div></div>

I had bought this a couple weeks ago:

Thread

Yep,

They're top notch! I'm jealous you got to go to the factory, while I was slaving away at "the factory."

When I called them up to ask about purchasing a replacement Erek cap for a scope I bought used here a couple of months ago, they didn't charge me anything... just sent out a brand new one with the o rings and an allen key. That's great customer service, and they're a great American company. I will be buying from USO again before long I am sure.

BTW, M.45, now that you know the inside info on setting up the scope, You're gonna have to give me a tutorial and help me dial mine in the right way!

YEAH I second the tutorial! IF you don't mind....

OH and thank you for sharing, I can't wait till my USO scope comes in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nom de Guerre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, M.45, now that you know the inside info on setting up the scope, You're gonna have to give me a tutorial and help me dial mine in the right way! </div></div>

I'll show you this weekend, maybe we can shoot some vid and post it up for folks. Know anyone who knows their way around a video camera?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nom de Guerre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, M.45, now that you know the inside info on setting up the scope, You're gonna have to give me a tutorial and help me dial mine in the right way! </div></div>

I'll show you this weekend, maybe we can shoot some vid and post it up for folks. Know anyone who knows their way around a video camera?

</div></div>

USO actually has a few really nice videos on their website of how to get the dials set right and how to mount the scope and stuff.
http://www.usoptics.com/index.php?page=instructions

edit: not to steal your thunder or anything but i just thought that might help some people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO tour continued...

One of the USO guys fell thru the roof a little while back, they were busy getting the roof repaired and a new room built...

new_room.jpg

</div></div>

How the hell do you fall the roof working a optics shop. Whas he testing some super secret squirrel scope up on the roof?

Now that was very cool. Thank you for sharing that. My experience is that the guys at USO are some of the best in the business. First class people all the way. Looks like they have some serious machinery too!!

Scott

Great pics!
Thanks for taking all of us on the tour, M.45!
One of these days I will make it out there, but then I will feel a bit guilty for taking someone off the production line to show me around......NOT.
laugh.gif

I've heard nothing but amazing things about USO scopes in addition to reading the incredible reviews on here, once I finish building my project rifle I'll be definitely saving up for a USO.

M.45, did you see Arnold selecting/QC'ing any Horus reticles while you were there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M.45, did you see Arnold selecting/QC'ing any Horus reticles while you were there? </div></div>

Hey Graham- I didn't see any Horus rets... Arnold was so busy, I tried to see the place as fast as I could not to take up any of his time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In these days of lowering standards and sending out all our work to foreign countries to do our labor and manufacturing in exchange for higher profit margins
</div></div>

Nice, interesting pics.

Buy -honestly, perhaps because I´m a non -American, I seem to see pictures from bit different perspective.
Since You mentioned foreign countries optics manufacturers and standards, heres few pics for comparison.

I hope I´m not going to hurt anyones feelings -thats not my purpose.

Apitek, china. Manufacturer of video cams, digital cams and binoculars.
Lens assembly area.
test3.jpg

Test area:
test4.jpg

Xiamen Leading Optics Co. Manufactures oculars for consumer scopes, binos etc.
Lens assembly shop:
12151.jpg

Nikon´s camera factory in Sendai, China.
CMOS and lens package installation table:
2283_sendai_cleaning_sensor.jpg

Body assembly:
2280_sendai_d3_assembly_medium.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In these days of lowering standards and sending out all our work to foreign countries to do our labor and manufacturing in exchange for higher profit margins
</div></div>

Nice, interesting pics.

Buy -honestly, perhaps because I´m a non -American, I seem to see pictures from bit different perspective.
Since You mentioned foreign countries optics manufacturers and standards, heres few pics for comparison.

I hope I´m not going to hurt anyones feelings -thats not my purpose.
</div></div>

Good luck with that.

When I decide to buy a video camera I'll have one of your countrymen build me one.

Well the pictures from china does look impresssive. But if I design a inferior product (Not saying that these are) it doesnt matter how dustfree my assemblyroom is.

I am also a non-american, but a friend of mine talked me into giving USO a call for my next scope.

I now consider him my best friend.

I will never be able to use any other scope again after trying out USO. I simply fell in love with it the moment i opened the box.
And I use scopes like Smidt&Bender and Nightforce on a daily basis

The fact that these are made in the United States doesnt really matter to me. Since I dont live there.
But when these guys insists on making every last bit themselves, instead of taking the cheapesr route, tells me that they take a lot of pride in their products. And that is 140 times more important.

PS: Wery nice pictures. Thanks for showing them..