• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes US Optics Foundation series

Well, I picked up another FDN this week. I went with the 10X for my MK12 Mod 0 Grendel. It does tunnel on the bottom 20% of the magnification range, same as the 17 and 25, and all previous iterations of the 1.8-10x. I took a look through it at a house on a hill 1163 yards away and was kind of shocked at how sharp the image was.

The more I use the FDNs the more they just feel like home.

fdns_and_atacr.jpeg

In response to the questions about 17x vs 25x reticle thickness, I think the 17x is a bit thicker to my eyes. I'll see if I can't get some pictures.

I've had exceedingly good luck with them. I would definitely like to see them make some changes to cut down on tunneling, especially with the 1.8-10x. It is a pretty unique design these days

ILya

What mag does the tunneling on the 1.8-10x end at? I’ve considered something like this for my grendel.

The fdn17 and b17 i own have been good reliable performers for me over the past several years but i agree the tunneling is a little bit of a nuisance.

I don't mind the tunneling, especially on the 25x which never gets used on lower than 10x, but yeah, if they got the 1.8x to ditch the tunneling, it would be a huge win.

What mag does the tunneling on the 1.8-10x end at? I’ve considered something like this for my grendel.

The fdn17 and b17 i own have been good reliable performers for me over the past several years but i agree the tunneling is a little bit of a nuisance.
Right around 3x or a hair higher. I vaguely remember it being 3.1x or something like that.

ILya

I own two USO Foundation scopes and love them.

Beyond looking strange when it happens, I don’t understand what the tunneling will prohibit me from doing with my rifle.

-Stan

I own two USO Foundation scopes and love them.

Beyond looking strange when it happens, I don’t understand what the tunneling will prohibit me from doing with my rifle.

-Stan
Mostly lower fov. Still better than a mk5 at it's smallest:

IMG_20230810_111834.jpg

IMG_20230810_112053.jpg

Last edited:
I can comment on the Foundation FX10, (fixed 10x)...

I was one of the poors when USO ranked as a big hitter on this site. I could only envy the ER3K knobs and GAP reticles from afar, and instead cut chops on the SWFA classic 10x, and later HD.

In the ensuing years, it looked like USO ran into some turbulent times and gradually lost appeal as excellent new offerings from other manufacturers came to market. And USO stopped making the ST-10, among others.

Back in 2018, I wrote USO, asking if there was any chance they'd bring back the ST-10. At the time, they hinted there was discussion on that, but nothing solid.

Fast forward to 2023, I purchased their new FX10. It looks to be the spiritual successor of the ST-10 and to my eyes, consider it near flawless in that category.
It is absolutely built like a tank, yet compact and with the ER3K knob, retains a low profile. Being fixed, there is no tunneling as reported on low magnification of other models. I really like the GAP reticle specifically at 10x, as it is clean and highly readable, maybe purpose-designed for that magnification. Glass is excellent. I love this scope.

Nik

I can comment on the Foundation FX10, (fixed 10x)...

I was one of the poors when USO ranked as a big hitter on this site. I could only envy the ER3K knobs and GAP reticles from afar, and instead cut chops on the SWFA classic 10x, and later HD.

In the ensuing years, it looked like USO ran into some turbulent times and gradually lost appeal as excellent new offerings from other manufacturers came to market. And USO stopped making the ST-10, among others.

Back in 2018, I wrote USO, asking if there was any chance they'd bring back the ST-10. At the time, they hinted there was discussion on that, but nothing solid.

Fast forward to 2023, I purchased their new FX10. It looks to be the spiritual successor of the ST-10 and to my eyes, consider it near flawless in that category.
It is absolutely built like a tank, yet compact and with the ER3K knob, retains a low profile. Being fixed, there is no tunneling as reported on low magnification of other models. I really like the GAP reticle specifically at 10x, as it is clean and highly readable, maybe purpose-designed for that magnification. Glass is excellent. I love this scope.

Nik
I have that same scope with H425. The only good reticle Horus ever designed.
Love it.

ILya

Reactions: Nik S
I wish they offered the MHR reticle in the 10X FDN variants. I'd take that over a GAP reticle every day, but the GAP is sufficient.

Reactions: Nik S
View attachment 8276145

Took my 17x out to a PRS match yesterday with the race dial US Optics started offering. I loved it. Way better than using tape, like I'm doing on my ATACR. One less thing to think about when doing a troop line.
I just ordered two of those dials per our previous discussion.

Thank you for the motivation to do so!

Have you tried the USO anti-reflective device?

If so, did it make any difference?

I have run one on both of my scopes from the beginning but I am curious to try them without.

-Stan

No I haven't run the ARDs. The 25x is already so dang long. I'd like to put one on the 17x sometime though. Shooting into the sun always sucks.

Reactions: stanley_white
I am currently running my SN3 T-PAL on my .300WM. Bought it back in the day. It is a solid optic, and I mean solid (built like a tank).
20230208_185402.jpg

Reactions: stanley_white