• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes US Optics, Why run a SN?

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2007
Glacier Valley Alaska
For SN runners, how often do you actually use less than 10x?

Why and when do you use 3.2x setting, or less than 10x?

Did you go with SN just for the versatility?

I am one of those who like to plan, not just impulse buy and this is the rule for a new sight on a new 308; lots of time in thought.

I was all set for ST10 but got to thinking and reading that I would like the extra versatility of a the SN17. I could dial it up for more precise aiming, down for close in. But, I cannot foresee me ever using the lower power settings, it would be set on 17 and left there. So I am thinking why waste the coin for 10x to 17x versatility and just flat go with ST10 or even the 17, saving at least $1000 = more time on the trigger.

This is a once in a life time sight, will not be sold so that is not into the equation, just performance. It will take me a very long long time to save up for SN, a very long time for the ST but I can wait. Not really into hunting anymore but if I did, I will use a different rifle. 300 is the average min range and I plan to continually push it until 308 runs out of horse power. No comps, just a fun gun that I want to get it all put together right the first time.

Right now, I have gone from the ST10 to the ST17 w/ Tpal and back again but time will tell.

Re: US Optics ST or SN?

I could see 3.2 shooting 25 to 75 yards.

I liked the ST-10, I shot a 16x recently and saw my heartbeat in the scope, too sensitive for my liking...

But I'm not shooting beyond 1000 yards either..

There are times that I had a need to dial down the power. They were always on offhand shots from 100 to 200 yards. Anything higher than 10x and the image in the scope seemed to wobble a lot more and had more dificulty finding the target. We do offhand shots at our local matches every so often.

I have time to arm myself with all the info I hopefully get so I get it right. I am trying to justify the $1000 more for verifiable x of 10-17.

My VXII 3-9x was always shot at 9x for 30 years. But, I used FXII 3x the most and never had a need for adjustment. This was for hunting not trying to be precise.

I am 99% sure I got my rifle right but I still think everyday if I did, just working on the sight now.

Thanks and hopefully more input will come.

Buy what you feel comfortable with im sure in your mind you know what you really want. And if this is your one rifle thats your little "toy" that is the best of all time make sure your happy with what you want and not just other peeps opinions..... on that note though with you saying the shortest you usually shoot is 300 there is really no need for power less than 10x i also find 10x is a little lower than my liking at 1000 which is pretty much the maximum range of the .308 win for all sensible purposes.

Re: US Optics, Why run a SN?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For SN runners, how often do you actually use less than 10x?</div></div>

On the last training session I had to dial my power back to be able to cover the field of view I needed. I was only 100 yards away and had several windows that the suspect could appear at. Frequently a figure would appear at a window and I would dial up to 14x to ID the target then back down to watch the other windows again.

Having a wide range of magnification gives me options. You just have to decide where to make the cutoff based on your requirements.

If you are just punching paper at 300+ I don't see much of a reason for the lower power settings. I rarely dial my 4-14x down when I am just "target" shooting for tiny-tiny groups. It is useful when I am dry firing indoors since I can't focus as close in on high power (narrow depth of field at high magnification I guess).

This is personal opinion, but I cant stand a fixed power. Too often I find myself cranking the power down to increase FOV for whatever reason.

I always have my scope set on the highest power that mirage will allow when shooting for groups. So for me, the SN3 is the right USO.

10x fixed is all i need. i like the ruggedness and simplicity of it . don't have to worry about ranging something in the correct power yada yada. K.I.S.S principle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't have to worry about ranging something in the correct power yada yada. </div></div>

That will not be an issue with the SN either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't have to worry about ranging something in the correct power yada yada. K.I.S.S principle. </div></div>

I don't have that problem with my 4-14x Falcon either.
wink.gif

Paper punching you can get away with fixed. When shooting comps/matchs whatever, gotta have Vaiable. IMHO....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't have to worry about ranging something in the correct power yada yada. K.I.S.S principle. </div></div>

I don't have that problem with my 4-14x Falcon either.
wink.gif
</div></div>

is that on a dept rifle?

If you shoot in comps a variable is needed. On one stage you might be shooting at 500 yrds. The next you might be shooting a mover at 100 yrds. Shooting a mover at 100yrds at 10x or higher is difficult to say the least. In that 100 yrd mover its better to be on lower power for field of view. If you wanna find out for yourself shoot one of LVSHOTTERS matches. He has a mover thats really fun to do.

SOTA

BILL,
You can always order a USO with long eye relief. If i was shooting a heavy recoiling rifle I'd go for more eye relief. I'd rather not get scope bit.

SOTA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is that on a dept rifle? </div></div>

No, it's personally owned but it is a work rifle. The Falcon is adequate for the next 10 weeks until my SN-3 arrives. I have had the Falcon for a year now and it's never given me cause to worry and I don't baby my gear. I am sure it will hold up for the next couple months.

Thanks bro's, got me thinking outside my box. While I may use variable x once a year, it would be nice to have it, if.

Its a moot point anyway, I have crunched and crunched, looked at all prospects I have to get the coin and I cannot fathom ever having enough coin for an SN3-17. Its going to be tuff enough, if I get lucky, to ever be able to afford an ST10.

Never say never!!
I never ever thought I could afford any USO and with some lucky horsetrading I had an SN3 3.2-17 and a SN4S in the same week!!! The SN4S just got sold to pay for a ST10 that's a better fit for my purposes currently, but an SN4 will be back in the stable someday.

I shoot comps, and don't play on a two way range, so take my opinion for what you pay for it.....but my 3-17 rarely gets dialed below 12 and usually stays at 15-17X. Its on my 308 for precision comps, but the ST10 will be used for the same comps when I want the challenge of a 223 at 100-600 yards. The ST10 I have has approx 130-140moa FOV, which is plenty for me, as observation where lives count on it isn't in my gameplan.

I have no problem with the eye relief on either, and USO's don't change like a Leupy when you twist the mag up and down (neither does their POI!).