• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO Problems (Dust / Dirt) - Anyone Else?

Re: USO Problems (Dust / Dirt) - Anyone Else?

word, the last thing u want is your wife telling u to sell the scope to pay for the table

Extra dust on mine please! I'd really like to take advantage of the spec removal method! Not too many opportunities like that!
grin.gif

Doc,
I think MOST get it!!! But thanks for clarifying the process. Could I just drop it out of the second story window onto the grass and see if that shakes it loose? Do you guys still have the skeet scope toss around? Show it if you do.

Side note:
You are retired, take a break and relax for the weekend. Not really, get these scopes out ASAP!!!
Chad

Try this on for customer service, you unpatriotic doubters; I sent a 12 year old
USO in for repair of the lit reticle and the windage was not tracking to the left all
the way. Then the clean room thing happened. A while back I got a call from Arnold.
He informed me that he didn't think he could do me justice by repairing my scope.
Somewhat confused I asked if it was a problem with parts availability. He said "No
we just don't feel that it was as good as a design as we have now, I would like to
build you a new one if it's ok?" I said, "you're kidding". His reply, "Nope, what do
you want on it?". I was waiting to get it back before I posted but this seemed like
an appropriate time to speak up. I have never heard nor seen any company come
close to USO in quality or customer service. So go live in la la land with Euro products. When an American company steps up to the plate and offers the same
or better product I will take it every time. And in the case of USO I have been
greatly rewarded.

How much of this USO scope was actually made in America Bigwheeler? A wise man once said to me "Do you know why they have great customer servce?" ... "Because people use it"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Try this on for customer service, you unpatriotic doubters; I sent a 12 year old
USO in for repair of the lit reticle and the windage was not tracking to the left all
the way. Then the clean room thing happened. A while back I got a call from Arnold.
He informed me that he didn't think he could do me justice by repairing my scope.
Somewhat confused I asked if it was a problem with parts availability. He said "No
we just don't feel that it was as good as a design as we have now, I would like to
build you a new one if it's ok?" I said, "you're kidding". His reply, "Nope, what do
you want on it?". I was waiting to get it back before I posted but this seemed like
an appropriate time to speak up. I have never heard nor seen any company come
close to USO in quality or customer service. So go live in la la land with Euro products. When an American company steps up to the plate and offers the same
or better product I will take it every time. And in the case of USO I have been
greatly rewarded. </div></div>

+1 well said.jesus people please jbw send me one with a little dust in it.I wouldnt mind at all.Hell i wouldnt care if it took a yrar to receive it.IT IS STILL A U.S.O.........

to brando, all of it was made in the USA. The exception may have been the actual
glass, but it was polished and possibly ground by USO. And if your guns aren't safe
queens and you run your erectors a bit they can break or wear out. In my case I
think it stuck or a spring went bad. I hope every scope, barrel, action, etc.. I own is
worn out by the time I am to old to shoot, collector stuff aside.

bigwheeler- I would probably say your right with your old USO scope but I wouldnt expect the same of the one you have coming... they outsource alot more these day than they did when your scope was made

I agree though I like to buy American products but if there issomething far superior made in another country then by all means I will try it out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brando.john</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bigwheeler- I wouldnt expect the same of the one you have coming... they outsource alot more these day
</div></div>

Please expand since you brought it up........
Outsource which parts to where?

My freind I can tell that you are not a mechanic BMW or other, If you were you would delete your entire post and apologize.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrystalVue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No wonder customer service in general sucks. The bar is now set so low that most people will be happy with anything. This issue is simply about customer service. Most of you are touting what great customer service USO has. They are quoted as "the gold standard". First, I bought a BMW because it's the "ultimate driving machine". Guess what, it wasn't defective when I got it and I didn't have to hit it with a phone book. TBass says 99.99% of USO customers are satisfied. How can that be if everyone on here knows you have to hit your USO scope with a phonebook? Are you kidding me? <span style="font-weight: bold">That's like BMW telling me to hit a curb to fix a vibration....Second, if you are going to spend top dollar for anything, it had better be perfect. Not sometimes, not even most of the time, but every time. Again, just the fact that this is a known problem should be enough to put them out of business.</span> Would you buy stock in a company that builds something they charge a fortune for; you know they have problems doing it; and they tell their customers to hit it with a phonebook? Finally, if you want to talk about the finest customer service, let&#146;s talk about Dillon Precision or Crimson Trace. If you have a problem with these companies, you get your items replaced. No cost, no questions, no waiting, and no BS!! I cannot believe the amount of BS you are willing to put up with after shelling out $2k plus. Fine with me but for the rest of us, by lowering your expectations to such a low level only lowers the bar for every other product we pay a premium for.

Cheers.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperXJeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just knowing it was in there would would upset me. I am no expert but grease or no grease when you pay that kind of money for a scope it shouldn't have dust INSIDE it. I know lots of guys will stand up for USO Optics but I just can't see a design process that allows dust to enter the finished product and then to rely on the fix to be some grease to catch it or to hit it with a phone book. To have to pay 70.00 dollars freight to have it cleaned and then wait 3 weeks on a product that arrived with a factory defect? I can't believe they didn't reimburse you for the freight. I would feel a whole lot better if it hadn't taken them 3 weeks to get your first scope back to you as well.

It's not my scope or my business but you are not the only person that it sounds like wouldn't be happy with how this whole thing has transpired. I asked a couple of guys at the club and they felt the same way I did. Hope it works out for you but this has been an eye opener for me. I just can't seem to excuse this the way these other guys seem to have no trouble excusing it. I am sure that 99.99% of there customers are happy with there purchase. It's how problems are solved that matters to me and customer service is everything. USO piping up on this thread seems a little after the fact to me. They will have it back to you in a week now that the public knows about it but it was three weeks before . A company is only as good as there last customer service transaction in my book. Service is one of the reasons I buy quality. I don't want to deal with issues in the first place and I really don't want to deal with poor service once a company has my money. Sorry, but I am not paying 3,00 grand for a scope that you have to wack with a mallet because it has dust inside of. Jeff </div></div>

Jeff,

Have you ever shot a USO scope? Their scopes have incredible optics, are mechanically very sound, they excellent service and are American made to boot! And we all know you aren't paying $3K for any scope.

Cheers/Chip

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The good thing is that they can take a whack!
grin.gif
And please don't exaggerate; they don't cost 3K! Anything can have a speck in it. If you'd like I can post a pic of a pair of Zeiss binos w/ a spec of something! How ever you feel JW is a man of honor and makes good on whatever he promises! Try that w/ others in the industry! </div></div>

Turk,

A SN-3 T-Pal 5-25x56 optioned right (read that as the way I want one equiped) can easily break $3,200.

HTH!

man some people on here are acting really weird. i could understand making a big fuss over dust if there were more than just a couple of specs. but one thing i dont understand is the haters with no actual knowledge of uso scope design will sit back and state that uso have there scopes made somewhere else but assembled here in the us. would someone please show them to cliff to jump off of so the real men can get back to the topic at hand.

Well I'm planning on coming over from the UK at some point to get one (even with the travel it's still cheaper than buying one over here!) and nothing I've heard has put me off!

This thread is rich!

The following is NOT directed at those that know, it's for the jump'in'ers.
Most of you guys own safe queens only, an buy shit that is never in mud, dust, rain, snow, hail, ect. But some how are experts, in all things glass.

Heres a test for you, take your whatever weapon an scope, lone it to some DOD fucks, have the head fuck drop it off a 30 foot roof top land on the barrel at 45* then hit the scope an bounce two more times. That took place in Huntsville Alabama a few years back, the scope was a 22X SN-3 on a GAP built 700 rem. in 300wm.
It still took 1st place, IIRC total rd package was 50 they had only fired 5 before the fall, and there were 5 NYL shots left, they made all 5.

Talk to me about how good your, whatever glass, you've never owned, has done. That SN-3 never had to go back, an it's still on the weapon today, an still works perfect.

Now all you USO, nay say'ers, let me hear your real world band camp stories.

Dust on a lens, is a lot better than two MK-4's that had 3 trips each an still would not allow the retical an target to be in focus at the same time. Had two of those POS MK-4 scope's Never again.

Some of you guys need to find something else to bitch about, as this site is not about owning safe queens. Ya a USO or S&B ain't cheap, but neither is having second rate gear when you "NEED' it.

Herein lies the issue NEEDS vs WANTS,...
99% of the folks(me included)on here want, one of the two, only 1% needs either. The 1% being the ones that don't round around the internet, bitching about dust either, they deal with it an move on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The good thing is that they can take a whack!
grin.gif
And please don't exaggerate; they don't cost 3K! Anything can have a speck in it. If you'd like I can post a pic of a pair of Zeiss binos w/ a spec of something! How ever you feel JW is a man of honor and makes good on whatever he promises! Try that w/ others in the industry! </div></div>

Turk,

A SN-3 T-Pal 5-25x56 optioned right (read that as the way I want one equiped) can easily break $3,200.

HTH!
</div></div>
You can also get a ST10 under $1K and a SN3 under 2K! HTH!
grin.gif

I recently received a SN3 that I ordered in January. Actually, I received it for the second time since it had to go back for a fix. I requested left side windage, and special engraving of the EREK knob. I basically wanted the 1/4 moa EREK to have all the numbers aligned top-row over bottom-row (similar to the Mil style). My brother ordered his scope at the same time, with no special requests like mine had. I emailed a drawing showing how the EREK knob should be done. I don't imagine it has likely ever been done that way, and I told my brother jokingly after ordering it there was no way they would get it right, even with my sketch in hand to guide them. He was sure they would. (His scope came perfect with no issues).

When it arrived, sure enough, it was engraved wrong. I chuckled when I saw it, because I just didn't expect it to happen right the first time. But I noticed that they pack the scope in bubble wrap in a inner box, then put that box in an outer box with styro chips as cushion between. Excellent. What's not so excellent is that they don't pad the ends enough, so it allowed to slide back and forth a couple inches. And they don't bubble wrap it 360 degrees. They just put a bottom pad in the box, then lay a "lid" pad over the top and push the sides down around the sides of the scope. During transit, the guerillas at FedEx play ball with them enough that the top pad's sides rides up and allows the scope to flop around and let the windage knob scrape and bang against the sidewall of the inner box. The box wall had scrape marks over a couple inch area with tiny dents where it had been impacting it. My brother's windage knob knocked a moon-shaped hole in the box wall. No apparent damage except scuffed anodizing on the knob. Is that a big deal? Not really, but why challenge a $2500 scope with inadequate packing?

My brother wrote JBW III and he responded, thanking him for the info, etc. So we were curious how mine would come, as it arrived (first time) a while after his. Same thing. No change in how they pack them.

When I found my EREK knob had not been engraved right, I called and arranged to send it back. No offer to send a prepaid shipping label. I paid $50 to have it custom packed and fully ensured. I feel that if I want to ship an item for something I want, then I should pay. If a mfr made a mistake, they ought to pay the return, especially at this pricing. S&W Firearms and others do that. No biggie, I paid to ship it back, slightly irritated.

I never called once between Jan. and April to ask when my scope would be built. After it got back to USO for the fix, I never called for 5 weeks as I hate to be a pest. But finally I figured I had to or who knows how long it might take. I know they're busy. Apparently it slipped through the cracks. I made sure JBW knew about it with a cordial email. He jumped all over it and by the next day or so it was fixed and on it's way back. I specifically asked that it be packed right this time so it would not be banging the windage knob up against the box wall.

Got it back, opened the box. Same old packing that lets it knock around in the box and rubbed the box raw again. Whatever. Slightly irrtated again. I sent a followup note (long, with pics of inside box wall scraping) to JBW, in hopes of having them finally see the need to end pack the scope to prevent movement and fully wrap them to keep the knob from impacting the box for future buyers. No reply. I guess USO just figures if it's not causing damage that has to be repaired, then why bother? Another slight irritation.

Knob re-engraved perfectly this time, and looks great. I did find a large, plainly visible spec of something at about 9 o'clock, just below the left leg of the reticle. I cleaned the lenses twice, and tried the phonebook thumping and it's still there. At low power, it appears not far from the center, and when mag. is raised, it appears to move to the outer edge of the view and get blurry. I'll shoot it a while and see if recoil knocks if off. If not, it is obtrusive enough as to be unacceptable (in any scope, much less one of this cost).

My isssues don't amount to a lot. 5 weeks didn't kill me, but it seemed to me that fixing it after I spent about an hour composing a long letter with photos and a drawing of exaclty how to get it right (the EREK knob), didn't seem to result in much sense of importance to take care of it until I got JBW involved. My little irrtations with this experience aren't a big deal. I love the scope, and would definately consider buying another USO. But maybe sometimes subconscious effects do happen..... I needed a scope for another rifle, and a few days ago I ordered a NightForce. I didn't rule out a USO, just decided to give a NF a try.

Just telling my experience with USO, which was mostly all good.

there were no packing problem with my scope. came bubble wrapt all the way aroung. box nor knobs had a scratch on them. i got mine in june, maybe they learned there lesson. lol

Mine have come packed well.

rain-why did you send the whole scope in when all that was wrong was the engraving on the knob?

side note-you ever shoot the local practical precision matches? We'd love to have some folks come out and enjoy their gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine have come packed well.

rain-why did you send the whole scope in when all that was wrong was the engraving on the knob?

side note-you ever shoot the local practical precision matches? We'd love to have some folks come out and enjoy their gear. </div></div>

I never considered that, as there was another very minor cosmetic thing which I would not have returned the scope for, had it not been for the EREK knob boo-boo, so I sent the whole thing back.

I had not noticed any dust spec before sending it back. I have to wonder if it got dislodged from elsewhere inside the scope and ended up on one of the lenses, maybe on it's third Fedex trip. I'll try to take pics of it. I'll post what I can get. Poor camera and photographer.

No match shooting yet, but who knows in the future.

I could be wrong but I believe USO is one of the few that uses hardcoat anodizing. While more rugged of a finish it evidently can cause specs to appear at times! Bring out the phonebook!
grin.gif

It's hardly noticeable at full mag. And that's where I will mostly shoot it. I'll get some rounds downrange with it for a while and see how it goes. Maybe I can knock it back down.

Other than that, I really like it a lot. I haven't seen other high $ scopes to compare glass to, but this thing more than impresses me with the clarity. The physical construction of it is a thing to behold, EREK is awesome.

Even if the dust spec never went away, I'd still really like the scope. But it's an irritation I'd rather see in my $200 Nikon.

This is how I got the 1/4moa EREK knob to be. It jams the numbers up around the zero, and causes having half numbers on the second revolution, but you gain only having two sizes of hash marks instead of three, and I think having the numbers aligned over each other (like the Mil version) does makes it easier for the eye to follow and keep track of.
Also note the DN/UP orientation marks.

Their regular 1/4moa EREK has nice uniformity, but I prefer the simplicity of this. YMMV

IMG_0919.jpg

Usual 1/4 moa EREK
UsualOneFourthEREK.jpg

Mil EREK
UsualOneTenthMilEREK.jpg

Either Becky or Arnold is who you would want to talk to about it, rain, if it starts to look like crows swarming targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either Becky or Arnold is who you would want to talk to about it, rain, if it starts to look like crows swarming targets.

</div></div>

Ok, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The good thing is that they can take a whack!
grin.gif

Turk,

HTH!
</div></div>
grin.gif
</div></div>

True enough but I don't want a low-end scope which is missing the very features I want in a scope. Why buy a custom purpose built high-end scope if you can't have the features you want to shoot and be happy? Give me UFB clear distortion and chromatic error free glass with high magnification, single or double turn mil/mil adjustments and big ass tube to maximum dialability with side focus and a GAP illuminated reticle! You can keep all the low-end no feature scopes, oh wait a minute why not just buy a NF and save even more money? No thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The good thing is that they can take a whack!
grin.gif

Turk,

HTH!
</div></div>
grin.gif
</div></div>

True enough but I don't want a low-end scope which is missing the very features I want in a scope. Why buy a custom purpose built high-end scope if you can't have the features you want to shoot and be happy? Give me UFB clear distortion and chromatic error free glass with high magnification, single or double turn mil/mil adjustments and big ass tube to maximum dialability with side focus and a GAP illuminated reticle! You can keep all the low-end no feature scopes, oh wait a minute why not just buy a NF and save even more money? No thanks!
</div></div>
And please tell them you want the illumination on the rightside or the top,and throw in your choice of tube size, choice of illumination and....., oh wait a minute they can't do that!
grin.gif
Not knocking NF; they are good scopes! As far as price I think you'd find them quite comparable if you choose the FFP!

Didn't read all this, but after seeing a few slams on USO from people that most likely don't have USO I figured I'ld post my dealings with them on my 1 USO canadian. I am the 4th owner. I got it and was thinking of trading it to try another scope. Only because I didn't have the $ for scope X and was getting rather curious about it. Sent scope for trade and they found some flaws I didn't even know it had. Dust, ect... Contaced USO and they said send it in. I asked cost for diffrent reticle and diffrent color lit reticle. When I got it back it was all done for free. I had a mil and got GAP mil. That is $80-$90 more when ordering. I paid nothing, just got it back in the mail. I never asked for this service for free since I am the 4th owner, they are just an excellent business to deal with. Will ANY other optics company do this? I doubt it.

Never posted this before since I didn't want others to expect this type of service. This way above and beyond in my book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Never posted this before since I didn't want others to expect this type of service. This way above and beyond in my book. </div></div>

Amen! QFT!

My first USO came used on a rifle I bought. It didnt have EREK and had a minor fleck in the sight picture.

I sent it to USO and in the note mentioned I really wanted to try an EREK and asked about trading it. Instead of trading it, he said I could just pay the slight upcharge for EREK and he would build me a new scope. Crazy CS. I dont remember the exact time, but within a COUPLE weeks, I had a brand new EREK SN3 illuminated reticule scope at the door. Cost me less than $200 IIRC. Packed perfectly.

All makers have flaws from time to time. USO is as good as they come. I love S&B, Premier and NF as well, but to slur USO as inferior is simply ignorant.

I have a USO ST10 with EREK, and love it. Easily the best scope I have ever used. The optics are incredible, and the fact that it is built to take the beastings I've been known to dish out is a great comfort when I'm dragging my rifle through the mud and sand (Inside a drag bag, granted, but the crap gets inside anyway. I still remember the first time I took the scope out, unmounted, pointed it skyward at the stars, and found Jupiter with it. I know it was Jupiter because I could easily see three of the moons! Both my Leupold MkIII and my Kahles ZF 95 failed that test miserably.

By the way, as a BMW owner, I can tell everyone- the BMWs of today are not the same cars they built even 5 years ago. I wouldnt take anything beyond 2002 if you paid me. Try hitting a pothole with one at speed, and watch the PLASTIC wheelbearing races take a dump on you. BMW= POS. The ultimate posing machine. That said, I love my 2000 M Coupe, even though I'm on my 5th set of seatbelt tensioners!
frown.gif

Good news!
My USO SN3 had the big dust fleck in the photo above. I had tried thumping it on a phone book, with no luck.

I went to the range with my brudder this morning. Shot my USO the first time, 20 rounds on a 308. The fleck apparently fell off the internal lens! All clear now through all powers.

An interesting side note. I attached a wooden yardstick on the target stand, trued to vertical with a level. Then while I held the rifle as solid as I could, had my brother turn the elev knob while I checked how it tracked. After he turned it 30 moa, the reticle was at about 32" on the stick. Did it again, and with 24 moa dialed on, the reticle was on the yardstick at about 25-26" on the stick. These numbers are only approx, because I didnt have the rifle in a vise. I held it as steady as I could while he turned the knob and I watched.

Also with the reticle aligned with the stick, the eticle marks seemed to match what the knobs would dial on.

So the big question is why USO don't sort this dust issue out?

I've never owned a USO, but a fair few European scopes, and none have had dust in them..In fact the only scope I can think of that suffered from this was a cheapo 4x32mm I had on an air rifle was a kid..

From what I've read here and other places USO make excellent "custom" scopes, so why do they let their reputation take a knock over such a minor issue?

Good question...... easily answered if you bothered to read the first two pages of the thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Guys,
I also want to add that we also have a new ultrasonic cleaner that ALL parts go through now before assembly. This has been operational now for about 3 weeks and we have seen significant results in dust reduction.
Thanks,
John III
</div></div>

But I agree that it is alot easier to read the thread title, and maybe a few posts, and then take a critical position on a piece of gear you don't own and likely have never used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rain252</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> After he turned it 30 moa, the reticle was at about 32" on the stick. Did it again, and with 24 moa dialed on, the reticle was on the yardstick at about 25-26" on the stick. These numbers are only approx, because I didnt have the rifle in a vise. I held it as steady as I could while he turned the knob and I watched.

Also with the reticle aligned with the stick, the eticle marks seemed to match what the knobs would dial on. </div></div>

Turrets are tracking MOA. MOA*1.05=inches (formula I use, not exact but close enough for boolits) so 30 moa dialed should get you 31.5". 24moa=25.2".
Do you have the CMG moa reticle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good question...... easily answered if you bothered to read the first two pages of the thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Guys,
I also want to add that we also have a new ultrasonic cleaner that ALL parts go through now before assembly. This has been operational now for about 3 weeks and we have seen significant results in dust reduction.
Thanks,
John III
</div></div>

But I agree that it is alot easier to read the thread title, and maybe a few posts, and then take a critical position on a piece of gear you don't own and likely have never used. </div></div>

RAF,

I did read the thread, but it struck me that people are still complaining about dust issues...Also, I notice there are a high percentage of people who have to return a USO once, sometimes twice before its "right" and these are brand mew scopes..So yes I am a little critical and nope I don't think I will be buying one soon.

Currently using a selection of Meopta, Swarovski, Zeiss and S&B scopes, no dust and no hassle with any...True, they don't offer the "custom" options of USO but I am happy with what I have..

My original post was meant to be a bash of USO, just seems strange they are letting minor QC problems tarnish a good reputation..

Regards,

Peter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the big question is why USO don't sort this dust issue out?

I've never owned a USO, but a fair few European scopes, and none have had dust in them..In fact the only scope I can think of that suffered from this was a cheapo 4x32mm I had on an air rifle was a kid..

From what I've read here and other places USO make excellent "custom" scopes, so why do they let their reputation take a knock over such a minor issue? </div></div>

I had this happen TWICE with Zeiss scopes. No maker is perfect.

BTW- Zeiss was willing to make it right but didnt have my model in stock. Fortunately, I bought it from Doug at CameralandNY and he took care of it ASAP.

True moa. That's what I thought. Wanted someone else to confirm it. I have RDP-MOA reticle. I was told this is an IPHY (Shooter's moa) reticle. They said the only True moa reticle was the CMG-MOA, the rest were IPHY.

Be nice if they could figure out what their reticles really are and put the straight dope out so you can make an informed decison before you spend that kind of money. The USO site does not specify under the reticle section. I asked about this specifically as one of my questions during phone calls to make sure on this, as I liked the idea of IPHY and wanted to go that way.

Do you know of any scopes with dust issues that were built after this change in procedure?

My guess is that they did not feel the dust problem was prevalent enough to warrant a major production change in the past, but that they have addressed the issue. It is not a common problem but it can happen.

The fact that someone posts about dust in a scope that was built before this change does not mean they have not addressed the issue, though you seem to want that to be the case.

Rain;
That is something I would like to see as well.
If they wrote the reticle name as "MDMOA(IPHY)" instead of just "MDMOA" it would make things clearer.

I wonder how many other people have True moa and thought they were getting IPHY, or vice versa? One thing I'd like to know. Do these reticles come both ways? Or some of them? Or are all RDP-MOA reticles True moa (like mine)?

Mil/Mil is the way to go people!!! Range is GTG and you can adjust with it as well. Relax and run from there.
But back on track. Hit that sucker on a book and see what happens. Come on, whether happy or not, you can beat the piss out of the scope and see what end up happening. How can that be wrong? I'm still waiting for another video of the scope going through the clay pigeon thrower.
chad

The dust fleck is gone. Went away while shooting today. Done deal.

Maybe you meant I can whack a phone book with it, and knock it back to IPHY from True moa? Hmmmm. Or I can whack it 3 times and the genie will come out of the scope and give me 3 wishes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rain252</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe you meant I can whack a phone book with it, and knock it back to IPHY from True moa? Hmmmm.
</div></div>

But then again you said you went to the range.......take a drive in the desert with a good rest and a 300' steel tape before trusting that you were 100yds at Ben Avery, Rio, PRGC or any other public ranges "100yds".

I guess you have a point there. But can you imagine that if the 100 yd mark at Ben Avery could be that far off?
Not saying their yardage marks would stand up to NASA standards.
We repeated it more times than I wrote about, to try to mkake sure it was not me moving the rifle around. Next time I'm at Ben Avery, I will slowly measure the distance with a long tape and do the test again. Benefit of doing it there, is it is perfectly flat, compared to the desert.

Who knows?

I could see 15ft, add from the scope to the red line, then the angle to the target (I know Rio's targets aren't truly perpendicular to the firing line, not sure about BASF's). We're talking a 5% variance and eyeballing a non-vised rifle here.....

Take a 40" piece of butcher paper and mark it at 40" and 41.78 (3/4)'. If 40" lines up with 40moa hashmarks at a measured 300ft from your scope, you have IPHY, if 41.78" lines up with 40moa you have MOA.