• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes USO zeroing/spinning quandry.. ISSUE RESOLVED!

LRS_Ranger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2010
Molalla, OR
I am a new owner of a USO SN3, and I have a question about spinning/zeroing. As soon as I got it, I mounted it and went out to zero it as per the EREK instructions provided with the unit. However, I have discovered that when zeroed, the windage knob will only move the reticle right (for left windage) It seems that the travel is bottomed out, with the scope zeroed. So, I went to the USO site, and discovered the video about spinning the scope to center the erector. I have a few questions about this.

By spinning and centering the erector, won't I just have to bring the windage back to where it is now (bottomed out and zeroed) to zero the rifle again? I don't have those nifty windage-adjustable rings. The scope is mounted on a SAC upper with an EGW 20MOA base and Warne 34MM rings.

What does spinning the erector actually do? I know it centers the erector, but how does this affect the position of the erector when you re-zero unless you modify your mounts to zero with the erector centered?

I'm confusing myself now; if someone can cast some light on this for me, that would be great. I am planning on calling USO on Monday, but I would like to figure this thing out and get it ready to go tomorrow before another week of work comes down like a brick on my head..

Re: USO zeroing/spinning quandry..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRS_Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a new owner of a USO SN3, and I have a question about spinning/zeroing. As soon as I got it, I mounted it and went out to zero it as per the EREK instructions provided with the unit. However, I have discovered that when zeroed, the windage knob will only move the reticle right (for left windage) It seems that the travel is bottomed out, with the scope zeroed. So, I went to the USO site, and discovered the video about spinning the scope to center the erector. I have a few questions about this.

By spinning and centering the erector, won't I just have to bring the windage back to where it is now (bottomed out and zeroed) to zero the rifle again? I don't have those nifty windage-adjustable rings. The scope is mounted on a SAC upper with an EGW 20MOA base and Warne 34MM rings.

What does spinning the erector actually do? I know it centers the erector, but how does this affect the position of the erector when you re-zero unless you modify your mounts to zero with the erector centered?

I'm confusing myself now; if someone can cast some light on this for me, that would be great. I am planning on calling USO on Monday, but I would like to figure this thing out and get it ready to go tomorrow before another week of work comes down like a brick on my head.. </div></div> I had this same problem when messing with my SN3 confused myself. Your windage is supposed to do that. If the crosshairs move right and you adjusting for left when you put your scope back on target you'll be shooting left. As for the erector it should be half way from what i understand so you would want to back your erector all the way out to max your elevation travel. It takes a bit of reading and work or did for me. I'm not he best person to explain it, i'm sure someone else will chime in.

Hey thanks. My problem isn't the direction of movement, but the fact that there is no movement in one direction because the windage seems to be bottomed out. I am thinking that this might be an issue with my base and rings.

Check your base and rings. If you're zeroed at the extreme end of your scope's windage something is off. You should re-center your knobs and bore-sight again assuming you've already done so.

Thanks Mute, I know when I call USO tomorrow that's what they are going to ask me, so I'm just going to get it done now. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

I don't own a USO scope, so I don't know how their adjustment and set up works. I would be a fool to discuss something that I don't know about, so I'll deal with a different issue that I have dealt with before.

If you want to see if your rings/base are OK, or messes up, use a scope that you know works correctly. If you are able to zero a scope that works properly, and it is close to being centered, then it probably isn't your mounts. However, if you try to zero a scope that you know works properly, and it too has all of the windage used up to get zeroed, then I too would suspect the mounting system.

I'm not a fan of the Leupold style adjustable scope bases. They are the only scope base that I have ever had wear out. I mounted one of those systems on my 300 Win Mag M40A1 when I first got it. The base worked fine for a while, but then I had accuracy problems. I returned the rifle system to the builder (McMillan) who told me that the base was worn out. I had never heard of that before, but they knew more than I do, so I swapped out the base for a one piece, non-adjustable base. My accuracy returned, so they were right.

Since then, I have avoided all bases with adjustment as I fear that when I least need it, the system will self-adjust, or self-destruct. That is the same reason I use only fixed sights on carry pistols.

Let us know how it goes. It's not the simplest thing to do if you didn't understand the scope design to begin with (me lol). So i read a ton. And i finally got it set up. Only thing is i have mine set to where i only get 18-19 mils of elevation total vs 22. But my zero stop isn't dead set on my zero it goes a little behind about 4/10s of a mil.

I picked up a ST10 "ASC" model, one that was "issued" to the ASC Alumni Fall match last year. I liked it so much, I bought one of them, and when our group took to the mountain, they were already roughly sighted in due to the prior months match, for the first group.

Well, when I purchased one and threw it on my .308, I did not pay attention to the directions, because I am a stud.

I zeroed the rifle, put it in the case, and the following day drove to Rifles Only for the Fall Bash.

3rd stage at the Bash was a 400 yard off hand shot, and much to my dismay, I only had enough elevation to get to 300 yards. I compensated, and cleared the stage
cool.gif
, and 2 completely fucked stages later, we broke for lunch. It was Friday, around 11am, and I called USO. They straighted me out in 10 min., with the centering the erector, as described above, twisting down the EREK so i had full range in elevation, and the windage knobs seem good to go. I say seem good to go, because I have never once touched them, hell, I don't even know if they work, since I hold for wind using the reticle. Maybe I will check it out.

Point being, USO has an odd and complicated zeroing process, and because of my admitted lack of patience, ignorance and severe learning disabilities, is probably easier than I understand it to be. However, their support will get you squared away in 10min.

Now, for an update. I spun in the scope. I don't think it's the mounts, because I am dead on with my boresite. Now here is where the problem comes in. When spun in, it's laterally aligned with the boresite, but about 5 mils high.. which is because of the 20 MOA base. At this point I still have full windage control. However, when I drop by 5 mils to my 100 yard zero, I no longer have full windage movement. At this point, it will adjust left, but when I dial back to the right at some point the reticle sticks even when I am 5 mils right. When I dial some up into the elevation, the reticle snaps to the correct windage adjustment as it starts to adjust as it should. I don't think that this is caused by running out of lateral movement at the bottom of the elevation travel for a couple reasons. First, I have already determined that the erector is centered, so movement should be limited in both directions, which it is not. Second, if I adjust windage and then drop the elevation, the scope doesn't bind up, and the tracking is true. I experimented to see where on the elevation adjustment I wouldn't have any problems with sticking, and it's about 1.5 up, or 3.5 down from the spun zero.

So, since centering the erector matches the windage zero I already have, I am eliminating my mount from being the cause. If I just changed to a flat base, that would probably fix it as well, but it seems to me that I shouldn't have a problem getting the scope to adjust windage when zeroed on a 20MOA base. I have never heard of someone saying that they couldn't get their SN-3 to work on a 20MOA base, and I should have more room for adjustment than a standard unit because I have a 34MM tube.

I think that a call to USO on Monday is in the cards.. till then, any more ideas?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen where they recommend hitting it with a hammer, try that. </div></div>LOL! Well, if there is something wrong with it (not operator error) then I guess it will give me an excuse to put a different reticle into it..

I actually have seen people "tap" they're adjustment knobs i guess to ensure the reticle travels the desired amount that they adjusted but i dont. Anyhow Mike @ CS tactical or USO themselves could definitely help you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually have seen people "tap" they're adjustment knobs i guess to ensure the reticle travels the desired amount that they adjusted but i dont.</div></div>If I have to tap the scope knob to make it do what it's supposed to, then something is wrong. Maybe with a NC Star, but a USO? I will be calling USO on Monday to see what's up. I really hope it's operator error, I would like to use my setup for an event next week...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRS_Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually have seen people "tap" they're adjustment knobs i guess to ensure the reticle travels the desired amount that they adjusted but i dont.</div></div>If I have to tap the scope knob to make it do what it's supposed to, then something is wrong. Maybe with a NC Star, but a USO? I will be calling USO on Monday to see what's up. I really hope it's operator error, I would like to use my setup for an event next week... </div></div>

Now i've never seen anyone tap a scope that is in the range of a leupold mark 4 or up. I mean like a varmint scope, leupold VX III that kind of scope. Just give them a call they're CS is spot on.

Thanks for the help all.. I'll be posting whatever USO told me tomorrow.. Let's hope it's something simple...

Well, I talked to USO this morning. They said that it could be a faulty spring, which while not a common problem, would cause exactly the problem I am having. I asked if there should be any problem mounting on a 20MOA base, and he said that there should not be. So, off it goes to USO. They were more than helpful on the phone. I'll update when they tell me what's wrong with the unit..

It sounds like the elevation knob is at one extreme or another, this will not allow the windage to travel if the erector tube is hitting the inside of the tube. Just curious, who here did you talk to? please email me at [email protected] and I will give you a hand.
John III

I hope you are not trying to move your windage knob to line up the 0 line on the shaft:

uso2.jpg

And I don't mean the one on the dial, which starts .5R or .5L, but on the shaft/spindle that has hash marks at 0,1,2,3 et al.

Because if you run it to the 0 you will run out of windage in one direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope you are not trying to move your windage knob to line up the 0 line on the shaft:

uso2.jpg

And I don't mean the one on the dial, which starts .5R or .5L, but on the shaft/spindle that has hash marks at 0,1,2,3 et al.

Because if you run it to the 0 you will run out of windage in one direction.

</div></div> Yes, I understand that. I actually don't have that knob. I have the #3 (I think), which goes from 5L to 5R; there are no marks on the shaft. The scope is zeroed with the boresite and on paper, and in addition the windage is centered being properly spun in as per USO's instructions. So the issue should not be that the errector is not centered in the tube. I will send the scope in on Friday if I can get the time, and if nothing else it will be on the way on Monday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: komifornian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know where I can buy a USO bore sight? </div></div>

Another item I always forget to get until I need one....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: komifornian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know where I can buy a USO bore sight? </div></div>

Another item I always forget to get until I need one....</div></div>

Same here, best place to get IMO would be straight from USO. Idk where else to find them. But i would email jeff, or john and you can get it straight from them. Thats how i got my sunshade.

I've got them on speed dial, just don't want to bug them........again! Just need to remember to do it when I am shopping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: komifornian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know where I can buy a USO bore sight? </div></div>

USO told me recently that they don't sell bore sights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: komifornian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know where I can buy a USO bore sight? </div></div>

USO told me recently that they don't sell bore sights. </div></div>

I could swear they used to....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I could swear they used to....</div></div>

They definitely used to. If you look at their erector centering video it shows the bore sight, it's magnetic and has USO logo on it.

Well, I have an update. In the words of John III:

"You are all good, we made some upgrades to the scope because of changes in the last few years. These changes will allow the scope to track better and provide a little more overall travel.

The rebound spring was collapsed as Arnold had suggested, so these were also upgraded to the new springs... "

So all is well. My scope will be back to me on Tuesday. As a side note, he informed me that my particular scope was a model that was sent to the Canadian military for contract evaluation. Kind of interesting!

I know that some people say that if you pay a lot of money for a scope, then you shouldn't have any issues with it. Well, if that was true 7 series BMW's and Ferrari's would never need maintenance. USO has treated me as family, and been more than helpful through the process. Any working equipment (read not safe queen stuff) is going to need a tune up from time to time, and it means a lot of have a company that stands 100% behind their products. USO has earned a lifelong customer out of this. Their 1.8-10 would be perfect on my 6.5 grendel; I will probably be ordering one of these next year. Another USO success story for the books!