• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Van Dyke Rifles

fred4143

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
USA
Could anyone tell me if Van Dyke Rifles is still in business?
I talked to them in the past, but I have not been able to get a hold of them and there answering machine does not take messages. Mr Van Dyke was going to build me a rifle so I could start shooting in the begainers class for long range shooting events.
Any information would be helpfull
Thanks

Re: Van Dyke Rifles

I don't want to talk bad about a guy and or business, but think if someone is looking to spend money with them, they should have the info that is out there. Have heard that it is best to steer clear from them right now.
Not doing much, unorganized, possibly no longer, etc.

Hope they get back on there feet. Have had a gun barreled by them some time ago and they did a very very nice job.

they are there but they do not always answer the phone- keep trying. I have two of his rifles and another being built now and I too get annoyed when contact can not be made. Like GUNNER75 said they have a lot of personal issues going on right now and such is life- shit happens.

Patience is a virtue, but if I send someone a few grand, they need to get the phone answered, IMO.

No idea about Van Dyke, they may be GTG, but I dont want to hear that shit happens if someone is holding my money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Patience is a virtue, but if I send someone a few grand, they need to get the phone answered, IMO.

No idea about Van Dyke, they may be GTG, but I dont want to hear that shit happens if someone is holding my money. </div></div>

I don't do any payment up front! half down when you send it in and the rest upon completion and I have shipping info in front of me. I've done business with Van Dyke before on a 300WSM. Nice rifle but the machining on the muzzle break was pretty bad. It was threaded way off. So I had to pay additional money to have another smith cut and rethread the barrel. Im not saying they do poor work, but the attention to details in my instance of purchasing from them was less then pleasing. Also their attention to shipping methods is dangerous to say the least, but thats a whole other story.

I'd try GA Precision, Surgeon, Lawton Machine, Aquila Firearms or a company that wants your rifle treated right.

just my opinion though.....

John built me a .338 Tactical Eliminator last year.
Due to time limitations (expiry dates) of import/export licenses, this deal went down in 3 months after confirming licenses OK.
Overall he did one heck of a job, I am truly impressed by the quality, functionality and precision of the rifle.
Getting hold of him was an issue back then as well, but he delivered in the end, bigtime.
I was going to write up a review but so far I have only 75 rounds downrange with it and want to hold on until I get more data and get used to handling it (read: learn how to shoot the darn thing
wink.gif
)

John - out

John does do excellent work. IIRC a family member had some major medical issues and he has had to devote lots of time to that. He is very tough to get ahold of but does do really nice work. KY's was the first time i have heard of him doing anything wrong at all. Everybody misses something once in a while.

I've got a buddy that lives in the same town as Van Dyke. He heard through the small town gossip that Van Dyke is building a new larger shop so he can move out of his current location.

Luke

Besides the muzzle break issue he was great to deal with. I called him a couple times asked some questions and he answered them. I bought the rifle and it shot great just needed some fine tuning.

It wasnt meant to be a downer on his gunsmithing skills or service. just a heads up. I beleive that you have to share every angle of business deals when it comes to rifle buiders. I dont hold back I tell my stories how they happened!

His work.... is great
His ease of getting ahold of him.... not so great.

Try him out! His wife was great to.